Status
Not open for further replies.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Ever see your writing in an unexpected place? I was in a very strange little gift shop in Lancaster, PA the other day when Anthony said, "Hey, look! Your doormat!" Here it is...

Doormat.jpg

Wrote it years ago for High Cotton (a company that makes mats, aprons, t-shirts, etc.). Got such a kick out of seeing it there.

Nakhlasmoke

yes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cathellisen.com
hahaha, that must be a pretty good feeling.

I once found out my brother's English class studied a poem of mine in school. he can't remember what it was about, or in fact anything beyond the fact that it had my name on it. Very odd.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
That would be so trippy! I BET YOU STEPPED ON IT! I was with a friend eating fortune cookies when she said, "Hey, I wrote that!" But it's never happened to me yet.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
How cool is that? I'd love to see that happen some day. Lancaster is full of quirky little gift shops like that.

....wondering if everyone knows how to properly pronounce Lancaster.....

Serenity

NCIS...
Registered
Reaction score
...cause sometimes you just need a slap on the hea
chaostitan said:

Oooo! Oooo! I do! I do! :wag:

Jenna, that is cool! Shopping in Lancaster is a lot of fun. And I want one of those door mats. Actually, with your permission, I'll make an over the door hanger that says the same thing and is on eye-level.

JustinThorne

www.justinthorne.com
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
That is awesome!

Never had that with my writing, but I was eating lunch in a bar once and recognized the music... they were playing my CD!

Spirit_Fire

Slow-burning Muse
Registered
Reaction score
Being an unpublished writer, I always daydream about seeing my own book on the shelves, or reading (good) reviews about my own work. Or, walking around and thinking 'nobody knows I'm a famous author! Or seeing people reading my book on the train! Has anybody experienced this?

I was in the supermarket a few weeks ago, and I saw Bryce Courtenay doing his shopping! I thought about him being a famous writer (I'm not sure if he's famous overseas, but he probably is - he's famous here in Australia), but that not many people would recognize him. I only recognized him because I saw him speak at a function once.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Closest I've come yet is this: in Robin Williams' latest movie Man of the Year, he tells a joke about 'having his way with himself' that is almost word for word the same as part of the lyrics for a song I wrote called 'Safe Sex' way back in the 80s at the beginning of the AIDS epidemic. I never had the song published, nor did my band at the time even perform it.

I still have the lyric sheet in a drawer in my home office, maybe I should dust it for fingerprints. :tongue

Deleted member 42

I WANT that doormat.

We just recently got one that says LEAVE instead of WELCOME, but I much prefer yours.

I'm going to start looking for it online . . .

oarsman

Salt water is the cure
Registered
Reaction score
Jenna, you could do a mat signing! I wonder how an author would sign a door mat? With their feet? :D

I saw my writing in an unexpected place several years ago. I was on an informal tour of an office building where I had been hired and I happened to see one of the first articles I wrote pinned up on a bulletin board. It was turning yellow, so I know it had been there a while. I was thrilled to think someone thought it was important enough to become "bulletin board material".

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
wow. What a neat experience. I'm gonna keep my eyes peeled for one of those mats.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
On a scammer's website. This person had plagiarized several paragraphs from Writer Beware.

A short-lived dot com startup used a sentence from one of my novels (with attribution) as its motto. That was pretty cool.

- Victoria

Reaction score
chaostitan said:
How cool is that? I'd love to see that happen some day. Lancaster is full of quirky little gift shops like that.

Depends which Lancaster you mean.

AmyBA

I'm a believer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amyba.com
I was in a bookstore a few years ago and I picked up a paperback copy of a book I'd reviewed for a magazine. My review was blurbed on the back of the book-- my name wasn't there, just the magazine name, but I didn't care. I was so excited, I bought the book and as soon as I got home, I showed my husband: "Look at that quote! I wrote that!" "Yeah, but it doesn't have your name there or anything," he shrugged. Aaaargh!

Doesn't matter. Every time I see it on my bookshelf, it makes me smile.

janetbellinger

Registered
Reaction score
In July 200, I posted a message on the Yahoo Astrology message boards, in Capricorn, which advised another person to "keep on keeping on." In 2001, I was surprised to hear Joe Dirt tell somebody to "keep on keepin' on." I thought the quote may have been an adaptation of my phrase but of course it could just be coincidence. Perhaps the Joe Dirt movie writers also wrote the phrase and did not pick it up from my message. At any rate, it would be cool if it was my quote, since I would be able to prove that my work actually is worth publishing, that I do have a voice.

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
It is weird to find yourself in unexpected places! I have twice--there's a PowerPoint presentation floating around online, where someone used a 70-word story of mine from a BBC contest as an example of concise writing.

And a professor of English at CSU-Sacramento used my first book as required reading in a class on the romance novel.

Melina

Getting better all the time
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.atozwordsmith.com
A year or two ago, I found a newspaper article of mine on an old boyfriend's website. He credited me for the article, but whoever put it onto the website made several typos and spelling errors. Those errors did not appear in my original article. I emailed him and asked him to correct the errors, and he just took the article off his site.

arrowqueen

RIP, our sarky besom
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
A friend lent me a magazine on writing. I was reading an article on opening paragraphs to short stories and thought 'Hmm. That looks familiar.' - then it dawned on me that it was one of mine.

I was torn between being annoyed that they hadn't asked my permission or accredited me and being flattered that they'd used my work and said really nice things about it.

It was odd though - like unexpectedly catching sight of your reflection in a mirror and not recognising yourself for a moment.

Eeman

Registered
Reaction score
I found one of my articles on the required reading list for a university anthropology course.

Status
Not open for further replies.