PDA

View Full Version : Hey! I Wrote That!

JennaGlatzer
10-18-2006, 01:42 PM
Ever see your writing in an unexpected place? I was in a very strange little gift shop in Lancaster, PA the other day when Anthony said, "Hey, look! Your doormat!" Here it is...

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e382/unbreakmychart/Doormat.jpg

Wrote it years ago for High Cotton (a company that makes mats, aprons, t-shirts, etc.). Got such a kick out of seeing it there.

Nakhlasmoke
10-18-2006, 01:55 PM
hahaha, that must be a pretty good feeling.

I once found out my brother's English class studied a poem of mine in school. he can't remember what it was about, or in fact anything beyond the fact that it had my name on it. Very odd.

Forbidden Snowflake
10-18-2006, 01:57 PM
Mwah, how cool is that :D

KTC
10-18-2006, 02:00 PM
That would be so trippy! I BET YOU STEPPED ON IT! I was with a friend eating fortune cookies when she said, "Hey, I wrote that!" But it's never happened to me yet.

ChaosTitan
10-18-2006, 04:30 PM
How cool is that? I'd love to see that happen some day. Lancaster is full of quirky little gift shops like that.

....wondering if everyone knows how to properly pronounce Lancaster.....

Serenity
10-18-2006, 04:45 PM

Oooo! Oooo! I do! I do! :wag:

Jenna, that is cool! Shopping in Lancaster is a lot of fun. And I want one of those door mats. Actually, with your permission, I'll make an over the door hanger that says the same thing and is on eye-level.

JustinThorne
10-18-2006, 05:07 PM
That is awesome!

Never had that with my writing, but I was eating lunch in a bar once and recognized the music... they were playing my CD!

JenNipps
10-18-2006, 05:44 PM
In all seriousness, I think I've seen that doormat in one of the stores here in McAlester, OK. "Something Special," I think.

Spirit_Fire
10-18-2006, 06:00 PM
Being an unpublished writer, I always daydream about seeing my own book on the shelves, or reading (good) reviews about my own work. Or, walking around and thinking 'nobody knows I'm a famous author! Or seeing people reading my book on the train! Has anybody experienced this?

I was in the supermarket a few weeks ago, and I saw Bryce Courtenay doing his shopping! I thought about him being a famous writer (I'm not sure if he's famous overseas, but he probably is - he's famous here in Australia), but that not many people would recognize him. I only recognized him because I saw him speak at a function once.

ChunkyC
10-18-2006, 07:05 PM
Closest I've come yet is this: in Robin Williams' latest movie Man of the Year, he tells a joke about 'having his way with himself' that is almost word for word the same as part of the lyrics for a song I wrote called 'Safe Sex' way back in the 80s at the beginning of the AIDS epidemic. I never had the song published, nor did my band at the time even perform it.

I still have the lyric sheet in a drawer in my home office, maybe I should dust it for fingerprints. :tongue

Medievalist
10-18-2006, 07:20 PM
I WANT that doormat.

We just recently got one that says LEAVE instead of WELCOME, but I much prefer yours.

I'm going to start looking for it online . . .

oarsman
10-18-2006, 07:24 PM
Jenna, you could do a mat signing! I wonder how an author would sign a door mat? With their feet? :D

I saw my writing in an unexpected place several years ago. I was on an informal tour of an office building where I had been hired and I happened to see one of the first articles I wrote pinned up on a bulletin board. It was turning yellow, so I know it had been there a while. I was thrilled to think someone thought it was important enough to become "bulletin board material".

JustinThorne
10-18-2006, 07:26 PM
My 'in-laws' have a mat that says "NOT YOU AGAIN!"

Soccer Mom
10-18-2006, 07:39 PM
wow. What a neat experience. I'm gonna keep my eyes peeled for one of those mats.

stormie
10-18-2006, 07:46 PM
Hey Jenna, that's great! And the fact that your hubby noticed it first without being prompted by you is a real plus!

victoriastrauss
10-18-2006, 09:15 PM
On a scammer's website. This person had plagiarized several paragraphs from Writer Beware.

A short-lived dot com startup used a sentence from one of my novels (with attribution) as its motto. That was pretty cool.

- Victoria

scarletpeaches
10-18-2006, 09:18 PM
How cool is that? I'd love to see that happen some day. Lancaster is full of quirky little gift shops like that.

Depends which Lancaster you mean.

AmyBA
10-18-2006, 10:50 PM
I was in a bookstore a few years ago and I picked up a paperback copy of a book I'd reviewed for a magazine. My review was blurbed on the back of the book-- my name wasn't there, just the magazine name, but I didn't care. I was so excited, I bought the book and as soon as I got home, I showed my husband: "Look at that quote! I wrote that!" "Yeah, but it doesn't have your name there or anything," he shrugged. Aaaargh!

Doesn't matter. Every time I see it on my bookshelf, it makes me smile.

janetbellinger
10-18-2006, 11:00 PM
In July 200, I posted a message on the Yahoo Astrology message boards, in Capricorn, which advised another person to "keep on keeping on." In 2001, I was surprised to hear Joe Dirt tell somebody to "keep on keepin' on." I thought the quote may have been an adaptation of my phrase but of course it could just be coincidence. Perhaps the Joe Dirt movie writers also wrote the phrase and did not pick it up from my message. At any rate, it would be cool if it was my quote, since I would be able to prove that my work actually is worth publishing, that I do have a voice.

Marlys
10-18-2006, 11:37 PM
It is weird to find yourself in unexpected places! I have twice--there's a PowerPoint presentation floating around online, where someone used a 70-word story of mine from a BBC contest as an example of concise writing.

And a professor of English at CSU-Sacramento used my first book as required reading in a class on the romance novel.

Melina
10-18-2006, 11:59 PM
A year or two ago, I found a newspaper article of mine on an old boyfriend's website. He credited me for the article, but whoever put it onto the website made several typos and spelling errors. Those errors did not appear in my original article. I emailed him and asked him to correct the errors, and he just took the article off his site.

arrowqueen
10-19-2006, 12:13 AM
A friend lent me a magazine on writing. I was reading an article on opening paragraphs to short stories and thought 'Hmm. That looks familiar.' - then it dawned on me that it was one of mine.

I was torn between being annoyed that they hadn't asked my permission or accredited me and being flattered that they'd used my work and said really nice things about it.

It was odd though - like unexpectedly catching sight of your reflection in a mirror and not recognising yourself for a moment.

Eeman
10-19-2006, 12:14 AM
I found one of my articles on the required reading list for a university anthropology course.

ChunkyC
10-19-2006, 12:23 AM
I emailed him and asked him to correct the errors, and he just took the article off his site.
Really? What a dink.

Melina
10-19-2006, 12:27 AM
Really? What a dink.

Yeah, we hadn't seen or spoken to each other in years by that time. He didn't even email me back to apologize for mucking up my article (or for neglecting to ask permission to use it).

Kate Thornton
10-19-2006, 12:37 AM
In July 200, I posted a message on the Yahoo Astrology message boards, in Capricorn, which advised another person to "keep on keeping on." In 2001, I was surprised to hear Joe Dirt tell somebody to "keep on keepin' on." I thought the quote may have been an adaptation of my phrase but of course it could just be coincidence. Perhaps the Joe Dirt movie writers also wrote the phrase and did not pick it up from my message. At any rate, it would be cool if it was my quote, since I would be able to prove that my work actually is worth publishing, that I do have a voice.

In 1959, Carl Ruth had a hit song called, "Keep On Keeping On" - great minds think alike...

awatkins
10-19-2006, 01:07 AM
Went to Books a Million recently and was browsing through the inspirational section when I spotted a compilation by a large publisher I do a lot of writing for. Out of curiosity, I picked it up and turned to the contributor's list. There was my name, and the story was one they bought from me years ago. It is also one of the very few things I've ever sold all rights to. Aagh!

After I got over being surprised and kind of aggravated, I bought the book anyway. :D

janetbellinger
10-19-2006, 01:43 AM
Absolutely and now I'm very embarrassed. How could I have not known that? Hides head in shame.

In 1959, Carl Ruth had a hit song called, "Keep On Keeping On" - great minds think alike...

Silver King
10-19-2006, 02:02 AM
A year or two ago, I found a newspaper article of mine on an old boyfriend's website.
Sounds like he was still holding a flame for you, Melina. Some guys keep things that remind them of exes, like a shirt that was given as a gift, only they wear it when they think no one's watching. Your old beau was probably shocked to be discovered harboring your article. That's why he took it down without a peep. At least he didn't have photos of you up on the site!

I'd like to get one of Jenna's mats, but I'd have to find a place to put it where no one could ever step on it.

Kate Thornton
10-19-2006, 02:54 AM
Absolutely and now I'm very embarrassed. How could I have not known that? Hides head in shame. Janet, it just means great minds *really do* think alike - you should be proud!!!! Most folks here are not as old as I am and don't remember the oldies. I would never ever post anything if I thought it would embarass you - now go have some chocolate and listen to some oldies!

janetbellinger
10-19-2006, 04:13 AM
thanks Kate.

Tracy
10-19-2006, 06:18 PM
Bunratty Castle in County Clare in Ireland is a tourist trap kinda place, with lots of twee 'Oirish' stuff, old cottages etc. I was in the shop one day and they had a tiny section for novels, (along with the souvenir dross, tea-towels with leprechauns on and so on, i could cringe). Anyway, there on the bookshelf, face out, was my most recent book! Last place I expected to see it. Nearly assaulted shoppers to bring them over and show them, but managed to restrain myself!

Love the mat, Jenna. Want one!

Lauri B
10-19-2006, 07:09 PM
A friend of mine was in Croatia for the year and snapped a shot of herself holding the Croatian translation of one of my books. Apparently I'm a huge hit in bookstores there. The only word I could read on the cover was my name (which unfortunately they spelled wrong, but still, when you're a hit in Croatia how unhappy can you be?).

Amadeus
10-19-2006, 09:18 PM
I once saw a review I made for a PC newspaper at an online review site, translated to English from Swedish. Needless to say, I wasn't very happy. :P

Freckles
10-19-2006, 10:13 PM
Jenna, please make doormats for all of us! We love it... :)

Del
10-19-2006, 11:50 PM

I recall keep on keepin' on from the 70s. I took it as a derivative of keep on truckin'

Most of what I say has been said before. Great minds and all that.

dobiwon
10-20-2006, 12:21 AM
On a Confirmation retreat for 11th and 12th graders I read an inspirational poem that I had written. Afterward, one young lady came up to me and gave me a big hug. She said she had a copy of my poem taped to the back of her bedroom door, and she read it every morning before she left for school. It turned out her older sister had been on a retreat a few years earlier and gotten a copy of it. The younger sister found it in the desk she inherited when her sister went to college. (Evidently the bottom edge was so worn that my name was no longer on it.)

That happened almost 15 years ago, and the way I felt then still inspires me to write inspirational poetry.

(sigh...if only I could find someplace to publish them...)

Marlowe
10-20-2006, 12:27 AM
Messing around on Google, I once found an essay someone had posted for a college course that cited my review of the Super Mario Bros. movie (http://badmovieplanet.com/duckspeaks/reviews/2004/super-mario-bros) as a source. That amused the heck out of me.

Kate Thornton
10-20-2006, 12:36 AM
Oooooh, Jenna!! NICE MAT!!!!!!!

janetbellinger
10-20-2006, 05:14 AM
I recall keep on keepin' on from the 70s. I took it as a derivative of keep on truckin'

Most of what I say has been said before. Great minds and all that.

Yeah, I probably heard it in the 70s too, then forgot it but it was still rattling around deep down there somewhere, ready to surface in the form of what I thought was my own original thought. Like you said though, very little anymore is original.

Cyjon
10-20-2006, 10:13 AM
Recently I found a blurb from my blog on one those blackhat MFA sites. This guy was violating about a zillion things in the Google ToS (such as having no real content other than a couple of sentences he stole from someone else), so I wrote to Google and a couple of days later the guy's site was gone.

poetinahat
10-20-2006, 10:54 AM
Absolutely and now I'm very embarrassed. How could I have not known that? Hides head in shame.
No, don't! If I recall, Bob Dylan says "keep on keepin' on" in Tangled Up in Blue.

You're in fine company!

BottomlessCup
10-20-2006, 09:27 PM
The first time I googled my name, I was shocked to find upwards of fifty sites quoting a chunk of dialogue from a script I wrote:

Mike: So, what are you looking for then?
Jack: Love.
Mike: You don't believe in love.
Jack: I don't believe in unicorns either, but it'd sure be neat to have one.

It was on all these weird little "Love Quotes" pages. Since I had never submitted the script anywhere, I had no idea how it got on there. Turns out one of my friends posted it to one of those sites and it spread from there.

I'm embarassed of how gratifying I found the whole thing.

writerterri
10-22-2006, 11:15 AM
Ha! How neat. I need one of those.

JennaGlatzer
10-22-2006, 12:22 PM
A unicorn?

Yeah, I need one of those, too! :D

I love reading these stories.

And thanks to everyone who said nice things about my mat! It's made by www.highcotton.com. They have some really funny stuff.

SeanDSchaffer
10-22-2006, 02:53 PM
Ever see your writing in an unexpected place? I was in a very strange little gift shop in Lancaster, PA the other day when Anthony said, "Hey, look! Your doormat!" Here it is...

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e382/unbreakmychart/Doormat.jpg

Wrote it years ago for High Cotton (a company that makes mats, aprons, t-shirts, etc.). Got such a kick out of seeing it there.

Kewl, Jenna! Seeing your own writing like that has got to be awesome.

Even though my book was published through you-know-who, it's still nice to see it on someone else's bookshelf, so I do have some idea how cool that feels.

ETA:
I must admit, when I first saw this thread on the main board, the first thought in my mind was 'Oh, no! Not another plagiarism thread!'

I am certainly glad this thread was a piece of good news for you.