Waiting On The Idea Fairy

Status
Not open for further replies.

kelwynnda

Hi ladies,

This is an essay I'm working on, perhaps for RWR. I'd appreciate your thoughts...

k.

Waiting For the Idea Fairy

&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Where do great ideas come from?

&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Every one has their own notions about where great ideas come from. The Greeks credited the Muses—goddesses of arts and inspiration—and some still try to invoke "the Muse" before embarking on a creative endeavor. Still others believe ideas come from God; others from dreams. And some readily admit they have no idea where ideas come from.

&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp I don't know about them… but I know that my ideas come directly from the Idea Fairy.

&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp In case you've never heard of her, she's a distant relative of the Tooth Fairy. When you were a child, you might have put a tooth under your pillow at night and received a small sum of money in exchange in the morning. Now that you're all grow up, I suggest you write out a request for inspiration and put it under your pillow, in the exact same spot that you might have put that tooth years ago. When you awaken, reach under your pillow. You're sure to find…

&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp That same piece of paper that you wrote your request on….

&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp And sometimes, in the back of your brain, a solution.

&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp I'm serious. Sometimes, this actually works. I don't know if it's in the writing, the sleeping, the dreaming or the Fairy herself, but every so often, I write an question on a little piece of paper and get sprinkled with dust while I sleep. I wake up, rub the stuff out of my eyes and race to the computer filled with inspiration.

&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp But there's one huge problem with the Idea Fairy: she's inconsistent as a temperamental two year old with a toothache! Waiting for her is like waiting for Enlightenment—you could starve to death before it happens.

&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp So I guess, what I'm really saying is, wonderful as the Idea Fairy is, as grateful as I am when she appears, and as excited as she makes me when she comes, I've learned to write without her... and you should too.

&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Waiting for the muse, the Idea Fairy or any other external deity to provide me with the insight to start, continue or finish my projects is the surest way to remain stuck or blocked for as long as possible. Try years. Decades. Centuries. Eons. And I can't wait that long. I'd like to be Bestselling Author before I die. To do that… I have to write books. And finish them. And that means, whether I've been dusted with fairy dust or covered with iron rust, I've got to keep writing.

&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp I've known many a wannabe writer—whoops. Let me re-phrase that. I've BEEN a writer, however, who depended on the Idea Fairy. Without her beneficent charms, I wouldn't lay pen to paper or finger to keyboard. Ever. And in repayment for my devotion to the Fairy, she bathed my words in her special dust and everything I wrote was fairly glowing with the power of her inspiration. Every word they wrote was sheer poetry… if I do say so myself.

&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp The only problem is that Fickle Fairy would eventually flit away. Return to her a favorite nestling places under the pillow of the prolific Stephen King or the duvet of Nora Roberts. And once the Idea Fairy was gone, talented though I might have been, whatever talent I might have withered under the suns of my own inertia, its possibility dying on the vine.

&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Okay, so that's a bit dramatic… but you get the point. You've got to have some really good digs to keep the Idea Fairy around. In short… you almost have to already have a million of your own ideas, and be actively pursuing them daily, to get the Fairy to pay you any attention. In other words, it seems the Idea Fairy most often visits those who write whether she comes or not. The more you write, the more visits you get. The more visits you get, the more brilliantly and productively you write.
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Which turns into the very circular, chicken and egg proposition: which came first the inspiration or the effort?

&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp I think it may go something like this: the wannabe writer waits for the Idea Fairy. But the professional knows better.

&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp

TerriLynn

Hey Kel,

Is this a requested piece or just something you plan to submit on your own? It's a good concept and well written, however it's a bit confusing. You've taken a bit of a point-counterpoint approach to the whole idea. You need to write this from one perspective...waiting on the idea fairy because you believe in it or waiting on the idea fairy is a waste of time (or whatever your opinion on it is.) Either way it will make a cute article.

Also, this metaphor (analogy?) doesn't work.
Waiting for her is like waiting for Enlightenment—you could starve to death before it happens.

Good luck with this.

:)

kelwynnda

Idea Fairy

Hi Terri,

Actually this piece is part of a larger series on things NOT to do if you want to be a successful writer. In short, waiting for the Fairy is a BAAADD thing!

Thanks for you comments. I'll rework it later and maybe send it to you privately for additional comments. Right now I'm trying to finish the rough draft of my YA!

karyn

TerriLynn

Idea Fairy

Okay Karen
I'll look out for it. Good luck with the YA.

alinasandor

Re: Idea Fairy

Not to nit-pick but "everyone" is one word. ;-)

Writing Again

Re: Idea Fairy

It struck me that maybe the idea fairy works like the tooth fairy so I wrote a story problem I had on a 3 X 5 index card and slipped it under my pillow.

Was three days before I woke up with a decent solution. Guess I just got a lazy muse.

teresa20

I think That's a stupid Idea. we are not children anymore.
my Ideas come from somewhere inthe back of my head.
Idea fairy:smack I here to be series. what next the job fairy
going to make a screenwriter.

preyer

i got as far as 'hi ladies.' right, because this is a romance forum, everyone is female, is that it? nevermind all the male romance writers out there writing under a female pseudonym....

well, i'm going over to the sci-fi forum where everyone is male. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.