PDA

View Full Version : New Zealand or bust

robeiae
10-18-2006, 06:22 AM
I'm takin a little trip to Kiwi-land in a few days. Any New Zealanders out there--I would appreciate some "can't miss" things that you think I can't miss while I'm there. I'll be in Auckland, though I plan on hitting the South island for at least two days.

Thanks,

Rob :)

Stew21
10-18-2006, 06:24 AM
*incredibly jealous and has nothing to contribute to the conversation*

*pouts*

I'll miss you! Take lots of pictures! have fun! :)

*snarls and hopes he bought that "sincerity"*

WDS
10-18-2006, 06:29 AM
Have fun! Keep an eye out for orcs, they really act up this time of year I heard.

poetinahat
10-18-2006, 06:34 AM
I've only ever been to the South Island (amazingly beautiful), but my FIL goes fishing on the North Island every year. Have a ball, Rob!

September skies
10-18-2006, 06:36 AM
How exciting. Come back and tell us about it.

janetbellinger
10-18-2006, 06:43 AM
I was in Auckland, New Zealand for three weeks with my family in 1991. You will love it. You should take a trip to the hot springs in Rotarua, you can see them from many miles away and the heat from the springs is used for heat for swimming pools and hot tubs etc. Drive around the North and South Islands, and you will see the most amazing changes of topography, from ocean to tropical forest to volcanic and polar ice cap mountains. The South Island is wilder but both are beautiful. The people are wonderful, similar to Canadians in nature. Have a wonderful time. It will be quite cool this time of year as it is spring there and the islands are cooled by the winds from the sea.

Mandy-Jane
10-18-2006, 03:06 PM
I've been to New Zealand once. Auckland was nice if you like big cities (I don't). But the South Island is just gorgeous. If you can get on a cruise into Milford Sound, you will love it. I was on a cruise ship, but I guess they take smaller cruises through there too. And there's the most beautiful little town called Dunedin, which is quaint and hilly and filled with beautiful old looking buildings and fabulous old-fashioned pubs. I would go there again in a second.

Have fun!

aadams73
10-18-2006, 03:17 PM
I'm takin a little trip to Kiwi-land in a few days. Any New Zealanders out there--I would appreciate some "can't miss" things that you think I can't miss while I'm there. I'll be in Auckland, though I plan on hitting the South island for at least two days.

Thanks,

Rob :)

If you're in Auckland you absolutely must go to the Auckland museum(its one of the best in the world IMHO) and MOTAT(the museum of transport and technology)

http://www.aucklandmuseum.com/

http://www.motat.org.nz/

NeuroFizz
10-18-2006, 04:03 PM
Have a great trip, Rob. Tell us about it when you get back.

K1P1
10-18-2006, 04:12 PM
Rob, the main thing about NZ is SHEEP. There are way more sheep than people. So they've got lots of wool. Bring back yarn. YARN YARN YARN. That's my recommendation. Of course, some people think I'm obsessed. :D

robeiae
10-18-2006, 05:02 PM
Thanks for the good wishes and suggestions--especially the museums (good ones, aadams). But keep 'em coming. Except from some of you--you know who you are...

Jo
10-18-2006, 05:28 PM
Rob, I second the suggestion for the North Island's Rotarua (and the semi-excavated village, Maori ceremonies and volcano treks), although remember to take a peg or two. The sulphur has a certain whiff to it. Although I've never been there, the Bay of Islands is apparently gorgeous, too.

For the South Island, Queenstown is a blast. The jet boats especially--although that place is full of activities. Franz Joseph Glacier (and Fox) is also an awesome hike. Oh, and one of the places (like Milford Sound, but I can't quite remember...) has a glow-worm cave cruise, too. And I also second a Milford Sound cruise. (We were on a smaller, ferry-type boat.) Aw heck, the whole place is awesome. Have a ball!

Stew21
10-18-2006, 05:46 PM
Except from some of you--you know who you are...

Kevin, I think he means us. :Shrug:

veinglory
10-18-2006, 06:26 PM
Auckland never did much for me but if you can get out of town any of the identified natural beauty areas is worth a look--the coromandel, fjordland etc. Pity you're missing the North Island, that's ther bit I know best--including the big agricultural show informally know as SheepWorld.

SpookyWriter
10-18-2006, 07:43 PM
Try swimming with stingrays. I hear it can be fun.Yeah, it can be a heart piercing experience. :)

veinglory
10-18-2006, 07:51 PM
Try swimming with stingrays. I hear it can be fun.

It's also another country. NZ has small cold water rays that break when you stand on them.

cree
10-18-2006, 07:52 PM
I have nothing to offer, but my jealousy. :)

SpookyWriter
10-18-2006, 07:54 PM
Take me with you. I promise not to giggle too much and will be loads of entertainment for the locals. Ha! Seriously, have a safe trip and lots of fun Rob. Bring back some interesting stories but no diseases. :D

Kida Adelyne
10-18-2006, 08:21 PM
Take me with you. I promise not to giggle too much and will be loads of entertainment for the locals. Ha! Seriously, have a safe trip and lots of fun Rob. Bring back some interesting stories but no diseases. :D

No take me!!!!! I'll stay in your suitcase!

*Is very very jealous because I want to go to New Zealand more than anyplace in the world.*

robeiae
10-27-2006, 08:23 AM
New Zealand has been great--from jet boating to bubgee jumping to wine tasting. And then there's the scenery...

Two more days, then I'm goin home. :D

expatbrat
10-27-2006, 02:37 PM
If you are stuck on the Nth Island the black-water-rafting in Waitomo is fantastic. Waitomo is a few hrs out of Auckland. You go through these underground caves with an inflated inner-tube. There are glow worms and in a few quiet spots you get to turn off all the headlamps and float down this magical wonderland of green little fairy (worm) lights. In other places you slide down natural rock water slides (on your tube) or jump off ledges into deep pools. It is really amazing.

You will find brocures for this as soon as you get to NZ. Or google "black water rafting and you will find the major companies.

expatbrat
10-27-2006, 02:41 PM
The lonely planet thorn tree is worth a visit. This is a very busy forum of travellers who will answer all your questions. Have a bit of a look around as the forum is very very active so posts made on the same day can be four or pages back.

www.lonelyplanet.com

Unique
10-27-2006, 05:16 PM
If you are stuck on the Nth Island the black-water-rafting in Waitomo is fantastic. Waitomo is a few hrs out of Auckland. You go through these underground caves with an inflated inner-tube. There are glow worms and in a few quiet spots you get to turn off all the headlamps and float down this magical wonderland of green little fairy (worm) lights. In other places you slide down natural rock water slides (on your tube) or jump off ledges into deep pools. It is really amazing.

You will find brocures for this as soon as you get to NZ. Or google "black water rafting and you will find the major companies.

That sounds like a blast. Hope you get to do this one, Rob.