Harry Reid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
http://news.bostonherald.com/politics/view.bg?articleid=162777

WASHINGTON - Senate Democratic leader Harry Reid has been using campaign donations instead of his personal money to pay Christmas bonuses for the support staff at the Ritz-Carlton where he lives in an upscale condominium. Federal election law bars candidates from converting political donations for personal use.

What kind of person pays Christmas bonus' from donations instead of out of their pocket?

Just shameful.

Illegal too.

Not to mention....

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061017/NEWS07/610170315/1009

WASHINGTON -- Senate Democratic leader Harry Reid said Monday he is amending his ethics reports to Congress to account for a Las Vegas land deal that let him collect $1.1 million for property he hadn't owned for three years.

Reports last week said Reid, D-Nev., didn't disclose to Congress that he sold land to a friend's company in 2001 and took an ownership stake in the firm. He collected the seven-figure payout when the company sold the land in 2004.

Reid portrayed the 2004 transaction as a personal sale of land, making no mention of the company. Reid said his amended ethics reports will list the 2001 sale and the company, Patrick Lane LLC.

What a great country we have.

People get to "AMEND" things after they get caught.

What a skunk.

Last edited:
Reaction score
robeiae said:
If the Democrats gain control of Congress, Harry Reid's shenanigans will come under the microscope. Don't worry.

You worried about Nancy Pelosi as Speaker? This woman will control the agenda.

Voting: A few of her just awful votes....there are wayyy to many to list...feel free to peruse...

http://www.vote-smart.org/voting_category.php?can_id=H0222103

09/14/2006 Secure Fence Act of 2006 - N
12/16/2005 Border Security bill - N
10/02/2003 Prohibit Partial-Birth Abortion bill - N
09/20/2006 Federal Election Integrity Act of 2006 - N
09/30/1999 Unborn Victims of Violence Act of 1999 - N
03/18/1999 National Missile Defense bill -N
06/30/2005 Eminent Domain Amdendment - N
03/07/2006 PATRIOT Act Reauthorization bill - N

We're doomed.

ETA:

And the woman hates cheeseburgers.

10/19/2005 Cheeseburger bill - N

God help us.

Gary

Registered
Reaction score
What! Mr. "Republican culture of corruption" Harry did something illegal? That's odd, I read four newspapers and watch and listen to the news and I haven't heard anything about it.

SC Harrison

Dances With Hamsters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Gary said:
What! Mr. "Republican culture of corruption" Harry did something illegal? That's odd, I read four newspapers and watch and listen to the news and I haven't heard anything about it.

He also received (I think) $45,000 from Jack Abramoff, but that came out some time ago and I haven't heard much about it since.

I have a hunch there are many more skeletons in Reid's closet, and I hope every one of them is exposed.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
If Reid's hands are dirty, he deserves whatever he gets for that. Likewise William Jefferson (who I have little doubt about). It is interesting that in our recent history, when the news about Jefferson came to light, Democrats immediately removed him from whatever committee leadership posts he held, even though he hasn't yet been indicted. When Tom Delay was indicted, the response of the Republican leadership of the House of Representatives was to change their own party rules to permit him to keep his leadership post. Only after public outcry did they reverse that decision.

But, I must say, with this Mark Foley flap, there are signs that some House Republicans are beginning to get it. Others will likely get it in the upcoming election, by all indications.

caw.

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
billythrilly7th said:
You worried about Nancy Pelosi as Speaker? This woman will control the agenda.

Voting: A few of her just awful votes....there are wayyy to many to list...feel free to peruse...

Good - someone who votes the way *I* would!

English Dave

Registered
Reaction score
I know sh1t all about American politics. But it seems to me that people are donating because they agree with the policies and perhaps agree that those who actively work to promote those policies rather than just write a check deserve a Christmas bonus which shouldn't have to come out of the pocket of the candidate who might not actually have a rich daddy?

It might be illegal. I don't know. I'll take Billy's word for it.

SC Harrison

Dances With Hamsters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
English Dave said:
I know sh1t all about American politics. But it seems to me that people are donating because they agree with the policies and perhaps agree that those who actively work to promote those policies rather than just write a check deserve a Christmas bonus which shouldn't have to come out of the pocket of the candidate who might not actually have a rich daddy?

It might be illegal. I don't know. I'll take Billy's word for it.

It's not only illegal ED, it's unethical as well. He's paying bonuses to domestic staff so they will continue to kiss his butt the following year.

Okay, now I want to know how much slumming at the Ritz-Carlton costs Reid every year...

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
blacbird said:
But, I must say, with this Mark Foley flap, there are signs that some House Republicans are beginning to get it. Others will likely get it in the upcoming election, by all indications.
Obviously, they didn't "get it" from watching how the Dems delt with Gerry Studds, now did they?

English Dave

Registered
Reaction score
SC Harrison said:
It's not only illegal ED, it's unethical as well. He's paying bonuses to domestic staff so they will continue to kiss his butt the following year.

Okay, now I want to know how much slumming at the Ritz-Carlton costs .

That's the clincher. He's off my Christmas card list. :D

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
robeiae said:
Obviously, they didn't "get it" from watching how the Dems delt with Gerry Studds, now did they?

Nope. I ain't about to claim universal high ground on the part of Democrats, who've had their share of shameful moments. But over the past couple of years, there's been a decided imbalance of sleaze.

Perhaps the upcoming election can bring the yin-yang back into more even proportion.

caw.

Reaction score
blacbird said:
Nope. I ain't about to claim universal high ground on the part of Democrats, who've had their share of shameful moments. But over the past couple of years, there's been a decided imbalance of sleaze.

Perhaps the upcoming election can bring the yin-yang back into more even proportion.

caw.

But the sad thing is that if the democrats take over the Senate their majority leader is ALREADY corrupt.

Not even a fresh guy who comes in and after a few years power begins to corrupt him or her.

Democrats are apparently skipping go and heading directly to jail. Metaphorically of course. I hope.

And one more point on Harry Reid, the leader of democrats. DEMOCRATS, the champions of the poor and down trodden. Friends of the working man.

Yeah, some friend...

"Here's your Christmas bonus. Great job this year!!!"
Harry Reid

"Thanks, Senator!! So generous of you!!
Worker

"Ohhhhh....no big deal."
Harry Reid

Yep.

What a hump.

English Dave

Registered
Reaction score
At least they got a Christmas Bonus that they might have thought was deserved for their efforts rather than their connections?

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blacbird said:
Maybe that "decided imbalance" is merely a result of the current state of affairs, wherein the Republicans have continued to be the party in power, meaning:

1) By defintion, more Republican targets than Democratic targets
2) The media seeks dirt more vigorously with regard to those in power
3) It's nothing but your perception and both parties remain sleazy to pretty much the same degree, as always

Of course, my position could be tested be looking back at history...

English Dave

Registered
Reaction score
robeiae said:
Of course, my position could be tested be looking back at history...

Go for it. Look at Vietnam and the Kennedy assasination.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
robeiae said:
Maybe that "decided imbalance" is merely a result of the current state of affairs, wherein the Republicans have continued to be the party in power:

True, much as the demographics of vulnerable seats have turned against the Republicans in this election, after running against the Dems in the last couple of off-year elections. That phenomenon is particularly true in the Senate, where only 1/3 of the seats are up for grabs in any particular vote.

But actually I think it's an even simpler matter. These scandal trends have ups and downs and are to some degree self-governing. They're always there, to some basal extent, but when they fester and burst, the worst of them get cleaned up. It's just the Repub turn for some angst right now.

It'll be good for 'em.

caw.

English Dave

Registered
Reaction score
robeiae said:
Okay... ... ... ...look at that! I'm right!
:)

I think that democrats, real democrats not the polarised version, tend towards real democracy.

But they can be Deer in headlights.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
English Dave said:
:)

I think that democrats, real democrats not the polarised version, tend towards real democracy.
Like the ones who led us into Vietnam...you're ignoring your own examples. And small 'r' republicans forged the ideological foundations of this country, not small 'd' democrats.

English Dave

Registered
Reaction score
robeiae said:
Like the ones who led us into Vietnam...you're ignoring your own examples. And small 'r' republicans forged the ideological foundations of this country, not small 'd' democrats.

Little as I know about American Politics wasn't it Nixon who escalated Vietnam?

And as for making a country wasn't that done by people with great ideals rather than the dogmatic politicos who form the refuse of that ideal?

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
English Dave said:
No. It was LBJ--an escalation of something started by JFK...

And as for making a country wasn't that done by people with great ideals rather than the dogmatic politicos who form the refuse of that ideal?
Yes, but the politicos are called Democrats and Republicans; the idealists were republicans, not democrats...

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
English Dave said:

No. The very first military advisers went there under Eisenhower. Kennedy increased them, but it was Johnson, following what we now know to be the largely fictitious "Tonkin Gulf Incident", who really escalated the thing. Nixon prolonged it. None of 'em get gold stars about this one.

caw.

Status
Not open for further replies.