PDA

View Full Version : You know you're living in 2006 WHEN:

Popeyesays
10-18-2006, 01:04 AM
YOU KNOW YOU ARE LIVING IN 2006 when...

1. You accidentally enter your password on the microwave.

2. You haven't played solitaire with real cards in years.

3. You have a list of 15 phone numbers to reach your family of 3.

4. You e-mail the person who works at the desk next to you.

5. Your reason for not staying in touch with friends and family is that they don't have e-mail addresses.

6. You pull up in your own driveway and use your cell phone to see if anyone is home to help you carry in the groceries.

7. Every commercial on television has a web site at the bottom of the screen.

8. Leaving the house without your cell phone, which you didn't have the first 20 or 30 (or 60) years of your life, is now a cause for panic and you turn around to go and get it.

10. You get up in the morning and go on line before getting your coffee.

11. You start tilting your head sideways to smile. : )

12. You're reading this and nodding and laughing.

13. Even worse, you know exactly to whom you are going to forward this message.

14. You are too busy to notice there was no #9 on this list.

15. You actually scrolled back up to check that there wasn't a #9 on this list.

AND NOW U R LAUGHING at yourself.

Go on, forward this to your friends you know you want to! You know you are living in 2006

MidnightMuse
10-18-2006, 01:06 AM
Kinda makes you wonder what 2016 might be like, eh?

sassandgroove
10-18-2006, 01:18 AM
Yup. or you spend more time with your friends at the online forum than your friends you actually know.

ETA: I don't like that phrasing, becuase I do feel like I know some of you, but you get the idea.

dclary
10-18-2006, 01:23 AM
Sorry Popeye, but...

1. Actually, because I live in 2006, I'm sophisticated enough to know which of my electronics require passwords and which do not. Maybe if the heading had been "You know you're old and obsolete in 2006" I'd have laughed and said "ha, ha, yeah."
2. This is a 1990s joke. In 2006 it should say "You haven't played poker with real cards in years."
3. This is a 2000s joke. In 2006 it should say "6 phone numbers, 6 email addresses, and 6 Instant Messenger Nicks"
4. This is a 2000s joke. In 2006 it should say "You IM the person next to you."
5. This is a 2000s joke. In 2006 it should say "They don't have webcams."
6. Is this because your car doesn't come equipped with a horn anymore? I don't get it. My car still has a horn.
7. You still watch tv? In 2006 it should say "You watch TV on your computer."
8. This is so 1990s. In 2006 it should say Blackberry, Treo, or iPaq.
9. Why is there no #9? Was the number 9 banned in 2006?
10. That's so 2000. In 2006 it should say "You go online and place your coffee order to be ready when you get to Starbucks." (Ok, maybe that's a 2010 item. But it's coming!)
11. That's just silly. In 2006 it should say "You speak in acronyms. LOL, OMG, TTFN."
12. Actually, I'm sitting here annoyed that someone would take an old, rehashed chain letter, not even bother updating it to today's situation, and post it all willy nilly. That's socially irresponsible.
13. No one?
14. That must not be a criteria of knowing you're in 2006 then, since I noticed.
15. Wrong again.
16. Did you mean "You are?"

Please do not think this is a slight on you. I do this to my wife when she sends me lame emails too. At least, I used to. She's a quick learner.

sassandgroove
10-18-2006, 01:26 AM
Oh come off it. It's just a funny email. And who hasn't done something without thinking? (i.e. #1) You are about as sophistcated as lame emails. Don't rain on everyone's parade just becuase you have a bug up your butt.

SpookyWriter
10-18-2006, 01:43 AM
Oh come off it. It's just a funny email. And who hasn't done something without thinking? (i.e. #1) You are about as sophistcated as lame emails. Don't rain on everyone's parade just becuase you have a bug up your butt.Ouch...

writerterri
10-18-2006, 02:16 AM
Popping popcorn...

SpookyWriter
10-18-2006, 02:18 AM
Popping popcorn...Picking cotton for my new t-shirt.

aadams73
10-18-2006, 02:18 AM
Very funny, Popeyesays :)

writerterri
10-18-2006, 02:20 AM
Those were funny! I did actually miss 9 and scrolled back up to see.

I might add...

...when the 'oldies but goodies' don't belong to your parents anymore. And now my kids say, "mom, in the olden days...?"

writerterri
10-18-2006, 02:21 AM
Picking cotton for my new t-shirt.

You cotton pickin' dork! (means I really dig you)

SpookyWriter
10-18-2006, 02:23 AM
You cotton pickin' dork! (means I really dig you)Beats picking cotton out's you's teeth after a date. :D

writerterri
10-18-2006, 02:24 AM
Beats picking cotton out's you's teeth after a date. :D

:Shrug:
Freak.

SpookyWriter
10-18-2006, 02:28 AM
Never date a girl named Candy who lives on a cotton picken farm. :tongue

Dawno
10-18-2006, 02:57 AM
I'd like to see more of what a group of talented 'net savvy writers could come up with to update and make even more funny.

What can we say about MySpace, bluetooth headsets (it's still freaks me out when I see women who look like they're talking to their hair...ooh, I want one that looks like Uhura's earpiece on the original Star Trek...) Wiki's and flash and YouTube...the list is pretty long!

I've stopped waiting for my flying car and other Jetson's stuff...but how would you update the email for 2006?

SpookyWriter
10-18-2006, 03:04 AM
I've stopped waiting for my flying car and other Jetson's stuff...but how would you update the email for 2006?What??? You don't have a flying car? I think Jenna needs to pay you more or give better perks (not the female one). :D

ChunkyC
10-18-2006, 03:55 AM
I was in a flying car once, but it wasn't actually in the design specs....

Dawno
10-18-2006, 05:29 AM
ouch!!

eldragon
10-18-2006, 05:47 AM
You know you're living in 2006 when it's 80 degrees on October 17th.

September skies
10-18-2006, 06:30 AM
Just yesterday my daughter had a writing assignment where she had to list things that exist now but did not exist -- in the average home -- when her mother (me) was a teen. It was rather interesting....laptops, microwaves, cell phones, flat screen tvs -- list went on and on. She was shocked I could even exist.

Forbidden Snowflake
10-18-2006, 10:39 AM

I don't have a microwave.

I do that regularly in the car.

My parents both have the cell phone only becaues they're both out of the country, and want me to be able to reach them in emergencies, so doesn't apply.

Nope.

5. Your reason for not staying in touch with friends and family is that they don't have e-mail addresses.

Nope.

6. You pull up in your own driveway and use your cell phone to see if anyone is home to help you carry in the groceries.

Errr, nope.

Not in Switzerland. Yet.

8. Leaving the house without your cell phone, which you didn't have the first 20 or 30 (or 60) years of your life, is now a cause for panic and you turn around to go and get it.

Ok, true.

Sometimes, yes.

Errr, that would be scary. I do say lol out loud though, which is worse, so.

NO, that's the point.

13. Even worse, you know exactly to whom you are going to forward this message.

I don't forward ever.

14. You are too busy to notice there was no #9 on this list.

That's just my ADD ;)

15. You actually scrolled back up to check that there wasn't a #9 on this list.

Too lazy.

AND NOW U R LAUGHING at yourself.

Still not, cuz I have no clue if there is a number 9 or not and I don't care.

Ok, so what, do I live in 1980 or what? Somebody help me :(

writerterri
10-18-2006, 10:31 PM
I was in a flying car once, but it wasn't actually in the design specs....

Geestinkinwhiz! What year?:tongue

sassandgroove
10-18-2006, 10:37 PM
You know you're living in 2006 when it's 80 degrees on October 17th.
????

aadams73
10-18-2006, 10:41 PM
Global warming?

writerterri
10-18-2006, 10:44 PM
I think mother nature is having heatflashes. She's old enough by now, huh?

sassandgroove
10-18-2006, 10:46 PM
Ok, so what, do I live in 1980 or what? Somebody help me You're fine the way you are. :D

Global warming? Well, yeah. I think that's what Pam means. (Right Pam?) But I dunno, the planets weather is going to cycle. I remember when i was 8 or 9 and we were running around in shorts at christmas (in KY) and then had a snowstorm in the spring. We expect certain weather at certains becuase of a pattern, but there are always bumps in the pattern. I think people misunderstand the idea of Global Warming and use it to explain things that have little to do with it.

sassandgroove
10-18-2006, 11:05 PM
I lke dawno's suggestion. Popeyesays in Blue, Me in Green
YOU KNOW YOU ARE LIVING IN 2006 when...

You realize people have forgotten how to cook becuase of the microwave, thus the rise in popularity of frozen meals, the Food Network, and the tendency to mircrowave even when it would actually be easier to cook in the conventional way.

You have moved on to free cell and poker and other online games. Or an Xbox 360. :D
You don't know your families phone by heart because it is programmed in the cell, and You email your extended family but don't even have their phone numbers. Have also considered getting rid of the land line altogether.

Or just save stuff to the server, then go in there and open it for the old dogs you work with on their computers.

the friends I am in touch with most I've never met in person. (as in AW forum.)

Um...yeah...I don't even wait until I am actually home. Gotta give him time to put on his shoes. :D

Every business you call has that damned voiced recognition software and you actually miss the days of "for information on your account Press 1." Then when you finally get a human you find out they're in India.

Yup. Even bought a charger for the car and a charger for the office so I can always make sure the phone is working, too.
-When you see someone talking to themselves and you think they are a spaz until you realize they are on a bluetooth. Then you wonder why it is called a bluetooth.
-When you go furniture shopping and snap pictures of the couch you like onyour cellphone.

You drink so much coffee, you have to switch to decaf. Not really the same, is it. When I go on AW b/f I check my email... ?

Have to remember not to use : ) or LOL in professional correspondence.

Never knew if LOL is Laugh Out Loud or Lots Of Laughs.

:D

Christine N.
10-19-2006, 12:52 AM
You know it's 2006 when the grocery store resounds with the beeps of the Nextel Direct Connects, and people walk around looking like they are talking to themselves. Then you notice the blue bugs attached to their heads.

No one actually speaks people physically around them at any given location.