My PA book has been selling on EBay and I never receive the money

Bo Sullivan

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
I have noticed for the past 2 years that my book has been selling on Ebay in quantities as high as 25 a time, such as last week when 25 appeared and have now sold. I will have to wait until February to find out if I will receive the money. I have seen quanties of 25, 10, 12 and 8 sell over the past two years and I have never received the money for the sale of those books.

Publish America does not answer my emails concerning these sales.

LloydBrown

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lloydwrites.com
Duped said:
I have noticed for the past 2 years that my book has been selling on Ebay in quantities as high as 25 a time,

Really?! That's fascinating. I browsed through a couple of your posts and couldn't find a title for your book. Can you post or PM a link?

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
someplace around here, anyone seen my keys?
Perhaps they didn't sell at all, perhaps the listings just expired. If someone is selling copies that they order from Ingrams directly (and perhaps from other places - I'm not sure how it works) then you'd be able to track those sales on the Ingrams site. (a search of the NEPAT would show you how to do that). Not sure how you'd be able to find out if they ordered from PA. I believe this topic (selling PA books on eBay) has also been discussed on the New NEPAT and certainly the old one. You might do a thread search to confirm.

LloydBrown

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lloydwrites.com

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
someplace around here, anyone seen my keys?
I'm certainly not an eBay expert, so if something was posted for sale and never sold, then is it still a 'completed listing'? I've seen threads to old eBay auctions that when I went to eBay to check them there's not a clue they were ever there...but I could be doing it wrong...just curious.

LloydBrown

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lloydwrites.com
Dawno said:
I'm certainly not an eBay expert, so if something was posted for sale and never sold, then is it still a 'completed listing'?

Yes. The seller still pays listing fees, and it stays up viewable for 30 days, which is why you can't find some of those older links You have to have an account and log in to see completed listings. When I was a retailer, I used eBay's average prices for pricing certain collectibles, and checking the final price on completed listings is more accurate than using the prices of auctions still active.

TwentyFour

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
If you want to know who is selling them, go to the seller listed, ask him a question like "Where do you get your merchandise?" Or "Do you own a bookstore?"

I just checked...your book isn't on ebay, its on amazon? I'm not sure where you found it on ebay.

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
Do keep an eye on eBay. If you see your book for sale again, don't be afraid to ask where they got a copy. If it's just a single copy, then it may be a used book store or person reselling a copy, in which case you are not due royalties.

TwentyFour

Registered
Reaction score
alot of times ebay has ebay stores...which can include small book stores and small outlets...they are not selling ON ebay but are linked as an ebay store and get hits for being on the same subject matter...

Bo Sullivan

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Well I know I did not imagine it. There were 25 copies of my book The King's Quinto being offered in auction on Ebay.com last week and the seller was using an email contact paul2or3. I would have contacted him but his full address was not there but he did represent a bookstore.

Tilly

Registered
Reaction score
Could it be that the seller is actually selling virtual books? That they aren't ordered until someone buys them?

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
Mine's been on and off eBay since it came out in May of last year, being supposedly sold by one or more entrepreneurs. Nothing ever comes of it. I think they just list 'em to see what they can sell, then they buy one if it does and mail it out. It's always higher, by far, there than if someone just bought one on Amazon - or, gods forbid, from PA itself.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Someone's selling one of my ARC's on ebay. Which makes my publisher crazy, since it says 'not for retail sale' right on the cover. The seller is touting it as a collectible. <snort> Me, doesn't really bother me, someone else will get to enjoy the book. But the pretty illustrations aren't in the ARC. I know of at least two others that were sold.

I also had someone else 'selling' my book, but I think they were phantom copies they 'had' four, but didn't sell any.

PS - if you go and buy the ARC, I'll send you a bookplate. Signed, of course.

LloydBrown

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lloydwrites.com
Duped said:
The item number for The King's Quinto was 130028122499

I said I didn't doubt it, Duped. I just wanted to see the details--the bids (if any), where the seller was, and all that.

Withdrawing the item before it ends would explain why it wasn't in the completed auctions list; it wasn't completed.

Sure, shoot me an e-mail at [email protected].

LloydBrown

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lloydwrites.com
Okay, my google fu shows that Paul2or3 has 3 current or recent auctions featuring PublishAmerica books (he doesn't use the space between the words).

Shipping ranges from $8 to $12 on these books. As is common in eBay auctions, the point is to at least break even on the purchase price and then make your profit in the shipping fees.

He claims to have 25, 54, and 10 available. I think he's making up a number and planning to order to meet demand. I can't imagine why a bookstore would have 54 copies of a POD book on its shelves. Even if they had stocked up for a booksigning, they shouldn't have more than 25 or so.

The first book, Great Gas Mileage, shows a retail price of $12.95 (for a 60-page "book"), which Paul2or3 is offering for $8.05, plus $8.02 shipping. With his bookstore discount, he's probably keystoning.

Edit: Paul2or3 also has Great Gas Mileage listed as a children's fiction book.

TwentyFour

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe Paul2or3 is someone working for PA? Could be, he has some way of making these books if they want them? Possibly someone who has a PDF and can order these made for a cheap price? I'm not sure...I'm reaching.

LloydBrown

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lloydwrites.com
Jo Scott said:
Maybe Paul2or3 is someone working for PA? Could be, he has some way of making these books if they want them? Possibly someone who has a PDF and can order these made for a cheap price? I'm not sure...I'm reaching.

His other auctions show a wide variety of books. With an eBay ranking of over 16,000, it's pretty clear "he" is a bookstore (and probably has 2-3 people using that login).

eldragon

in a van down by the river
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
Listing something on ebay and selling are two different things. The seller is using his own method of drop shipping, meaning he doesn't have any of your books in hand, but if he sells one - he'll order it.

Then you'd get your commision.

TwentyFour

Registered
Reaction score
Unless he has the pdf and can have it printed out by his own printer.

I said early on that it may be a bookstore, I'm guessing it is, he/she may be listing books they have had in the past or on the computer to just see if anyone wanted them. If they don't sell, the seller has to repost them and it may cost him so much...I've never sold on ebay and don't know if you pay or not? I been scammed once on ebay and once I had a great buy...it depends.