• I don't know

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I've never thought about it before.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jyndral

I've heard of some things your hero cannot be in a romance. One of them is a thief. In the romance that I mentioned that I have almost finished, the hero is a thief.

What do you think?

In a romance, can your hero be a thief?

ritinrider

Jyn - I voted, but thought you needed my $.02 anyway. I think the rules have changed, and of course it would depend on how the thief part worked into the story.

Nita

veingloree

Well they can *certainly be a highwayman (Dick Turpin) or gentleman safe-cracker (Raffles, the Baron). :heart

Jyndral

Nita,

You remember Satin? The thief in question is Deverell. :)

If you don't remember Satin, well..... Maybe I need to send it to you to refresh your memory? :lol

~Jen

macalicious731

As far as I'm concerned, when it comes to writing story, there are no "cannots." I mean, really, if somebody didn't break the first "rule," everyone book would be the same.

Jyndral

Elonna,

I didn't know that. I'll have to check that one out. I like some of Nora's stuff. I like her JD Robb stuff better, though. :)

-----------------------​

Mac,

Good point. :)

~Jen

ElonnaT

I like both the NR books and JDR books. Hot Ice was not one of my favorites, but it was ok. Yours will be better I am sure :)

Writing Again

If I thot there were an absolute rule against it I would sit right down and write one.

If it is good enough for Agatha Christie to do it is good enough for me to try.

nolabohemian

Thieves get to be sexy and suave and where black leather. Think Plunkett and McClean. Also, Robin Hood is excellent fodder for, and ancestor of, a lot of romance.

Jyndral

Hee. Sexy, suave, and wear black leather.

That describes Dev (the hero that prompted the question, in Satin's book, mentioned above to Nita) pretty well.

Well.....

Except for the leather part. He's more .... I dunno.... Well, sorta leather *and* silk. :lol

~Jen

Betty W01

There is a thief romantic hero in Elizabeth Peters' books, well done, too. Actually, two - Sethos, in the Amelia Peabody books, and another one in the Vicky books (in which the heroine is an art historian, I think). Can you tell which series is my favorite?

maestrowork

Thieves make wonderful heroes. What of Robin Hood? The Thief of Bagdad, etc. (OK, so they're not romance heroes, but still...)

Solatium

It never before occurred to me to think about it.

As a reader, I tend to go into a book without preconceptions -- sometimes without even reading the back cover. Knowing the genre, I trust that the hero will turn out to be a nice guy, whatever his social or moral defects. So, from my point of view, I suppose that's a qualified "yes."

Status
Not open for further replies.