What do agents really mean in rejections?

Allie

Registered
Reaction score
I recently got a rejection for my novel. I had to admit for a rejection was easy to take, the agent was very nice.

My question is this: What do they mean when they say "I'm sure another agent will be a better fit."

Is it just a way to spare feelings and maintain a good image? Or do they really think that another agent would want to pick it up?

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
What was already said.

This is an agent's standard phrase that says no and avoids entering into dialogue about it.

Phrase to look out for that mean you are getting somewhere include 'please keep me in mind for your next project', 'I would be interested in seeing this again if you rewrite it', 'there's good writing here but [name of your character] did not strike me as convincing', plus anything that is handwritten and positive on a standard photocopied letter

HorrorWriter

It's a new dawn. It's a new day.
Registered
Reaction score
In your closet with the Boogeyman's corpse!
Allie,
I think you should re-vamp your query and just keep querying other agents. If they say no, don't try to analyze it. It will only drive you nuts. Concentrate on the important stuff...writing! :e2writer:

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
Allie - I have probably 70 envelopes in my drawer that say everything from "not for me," to "Theses pages are lovely," "Try another agent..." "You are publishable..." They all meant "NO."
The important thing?
The agent who said, "I love your novel!" and signed me.
Move on. Query widely and find the agents who love your stuff.
They're out there.
You just have to find them.