Writing Course Question: Writing For Love and Money

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kate St Amour

Has anyone ever taken the Writing For Love and Money course by American Writers & Artists Institute? I am wondering how good it is and I am curious about their pay- in- full option. Look what it says on their website under the Full Pay Discount Plan:

Full-Pay Discount Plan:* I would like to take advantage of the full pay discount, and receive a $41 discount off the total cost – more than the price of an entire installment!

Please bill my credit card $249 today.* I understand that I will be rushed the initial installment and start-up materials immediately, followed by the remaining 9 installments each month, for 9 months.

I just emailed them to find out what exactly they are charging you for (for nine months) when you pay in full.

Their website is:
/www.awaionline.net/_orde...ect=Order: aw42&referredby=WROMF_42

HollyB

Re: Writing Course Question: Writing For Love and Money

Kate, 249 bucks is a lotta money. I'd make sure of two things before you send them a dime:

At key points in your writing, you’ll send us what you’ve done, and we’ll give you the personalized attention and guidance YOU need, tailored to your talents and ideas.

With that amount of money, you should expect to get pretty detailed feedback about your manuscript. This sounds pretty vague; I'd ask them exactly how much of the work they'll review (three chapters? the entire manuscript?), and ask exactly *who* is reviewing your work. Maybe ask for a sample review so you'd get an idea of what kind of feedback you could expect?

AWAI has assembled a topnotch team of published authors and industry experts who are ready to teach you how to make your writing irresistible to publishers and readers. Our pros write for all the major publishers, including Harlequin, St. Martin’s Press, Signet, BET, Topaz, and more.

Who? Again, for that kind of money, I'd ask for names. Will you be reading handouts from these people (might as well buy a How To Write Romance book, it would be cheaper), or will you have one-on-interaction with them?

I'd get all the facts before you hand over a sizable chunk of change. :)

Holly, who has been burned by snazzy looking writing workshops in the past

Kate St Amour

Thank you, Holly. I just sent them the following email:

1) How much of the work will be reviewed, and who will review it?
2) Will query and synopsis assistance be provided? If yes, then who will provide the assistance?
3) May I see a sample review so that I know what to expect?
4) Does the course provide for live, online interaction, or is all business conducted via email?
5) After reviewing your website I found some confusing information under the billing area which requires detailed clarification. Per your website:

Full-Pay Discount Plan: I would like to take advantage of the full pay discount, and receive a $41 discount off the total cost – more than the price of an entire installment!

Please bill my credit card $249 today. I understand that I will be rushed the initial installment and start-up materials immediately, followed by the remaining 9 installments each month, for 9 months.

My final question is: If you are paying in full, then what is your credit card going to get billed for during the remaining nine months?

I'll let you know what they say.

~Kate

HollyB

Good luck, Kate!

Keep us posted. :)

michelle217

I don't know if you've already registered, but I've enjoyed the workshops/courses i've taken through Writer's Digest. There's a romance writing one starting in February:

<a href="http://www.writersonlineworkshops.com/viewworkshop.asp?workshopid=1037" target="_new">www.writersonlineworkshops.com/viewworkshop.asp?workshopid=1037</a>

Kate St Amour

Cool! Thank you!

~Kate

Kate St Amour

Writing for Love and Money responds to my question:

Dear Katie:

Thanks for your interest in our "Writing For Love or Money" course. There
are three assignments that are reviewed. These assignments are reviewed by
published romance writers or professionals employed by publishing houses.
Query and synopsis writing are two of the assignments reviewed.

I'd be happy to send you a blank evaluation form to show you the areas that
we target for review.

Interaction takes the form of e mail or phone conversation. You are welcomed
tio call me at 1 866 879-2924 and I will answer your questions.

Your final question has to do with the installment plan. If this option is
chosen your credit card will be billed $29.00. Sorry for the confusion.

Edited to include the following information: They sent me a copy of the evaluation form if anyone is interested in seeing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.