Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mandy-Jane

venturing ever further into the unknown
Registered
Reaction score
I will complete a play this year! I will!
My 5 year old has just asked me "how do babies get into your tummy if there's no door?"

I wasn't expecting a question like this quite so soon. What do I tell her?

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Umm...tell her its a special mummy and daddy magic trick?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I had a friend whose five-year old wanted to know if the chicken breasts they were having for dinner only came from "girl chickens".

As for your question . . . maybe tell her that babies are made of love, and since "daddy and I love each other so much, one day we discovered we were having another baby, who we hope is as special as you" . . . or something like that. Or, better still, tell her to go ask her daddy.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Absolutely tell her the truth, in its simplest form. Your library probably has my favorite sex-ed book perfectly age-appropriate, which will help you with the parts where you might stammer.

Five is not too young to learn that babies grow inside the mommy's body because the daddy plants a seed of sorts, just like in a garden.

It really is a good book. I imagine you won't be sorry if you buy it.

Maryn, whose kids turned out okay

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A simple explanation that satisfied the five year old: Mommies have eggs inside that can grow into babies. They have a special opening that the babies come out of. No, you can't see it.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
Soccer Mom said:
A simple explanation that satisfied the five year old: Mommies have eggs inside that can grow into babies. They have a special opening that the babies come out of. No, you can't see it.
It's called a trap door. :roll: Once inside it's nearly impossible to get out safely.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That made me laugh, Soccer Mom.

Talk about closing one door, only to open another!!

Soccer Mom said:

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah. He looked at me suspiciously and finally asked, "Does that mean it opens down by your privates?"

I changed the subject to ice cream, but I'm sure it'll come back up.

Babies have been topic de jour since the birth of his cousin.

Jack_Roberts

Scribe of my muse, Annabelle
Registered
Reaction score
Website
night-children.blogspot.com
Maryn said:
Absolutely tell her the truth, in its simplest form. Your library probably has my favorite sex-ed book perfectly age-appropriate, which will help you with the parts where you might stammer.

Five is not too young to learn that babies grow inside the mommy's body because the daddy plants a seed of sorts, just like in a garden.

It really is a good book. I imagine you won't be sorry if you buy it.

Maryn, whose kids turned out okay

Bingo. I agree. We have four and we give them short explanations on it. We use simple versions and stay away from detail, but that's what we did/do.

Nakhlasmoke

yes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cathellisen.com
Hahaha i'm with you there. My four year old is most likely going to witness her sister's home birth (if she's awake), so I've been showing her lots of gory sites so that she doesn't get a shock when the time comes.

I explain everything in age-appropriate language, although I use the correct terms for body parts, and she seems perfectly content with that. While it's not quite the same thing, I just don't see the point in lying to my child. She hasn't yet been tainted with the idea that parts of her body are "dirty", and I'd like it to stay that way for as long as possible.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry. I don't think child birth is "dirty", but I'm just not letting my kids see my hoohah--baby or no.

K1P1

Procrastination is its own reward
Registered
Reaction score
Yep - I'm all for explaing that mommy and daddy both contribute part of the seed, and then it grows in mommy's uterus (NOT TUMMY, as in stomach).

I'm chuckling to myself about the time that my older child decided to show the younger child the photos of her own birth, with the teenage babysitter, just as we were about to go out to dinner. The horror on the younger one's face! I think they must have been about ages 5 and 2.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Well into my twenties, I believed that s-e-x centered around a magic door in a magic forest that requires a magic password to enter. This was not helped by the fact my other half believes the exact same thing. And that password changes several times each day. No one understands why I cry during the LOTR scene where they're trying to enter the Mines of Moria, and Gandalf finally realizes the Elven word for "Friend" opens the door.

-Derek
My Web Page - sci-fi, fantasy, horror, cyborgs, AIs, dragons, vampyres.
To make you a vampire they have to suck your blood. And then you have to suck their blood. It's like a whole big sucking thing. Mostly they're just gonna kill you.

Becky Writes

Go Tarheels!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccawrites.com
Bravo said:
whoa.

that seems way to graphic for a 5 year old.

You know, I'm on the fence.

I have a 7 yo, 6yo, 4 yo, and a 1 yo. My kids know that babies grow in the mom's belly, and they think that God puts them there. Of course, since my 3 youngest are adopted or soon-to-be, my oldest thinks that babies come from the dept. of Soical Services.

I think my oldest could handle the book and it would answer a lot of questions for her that she's scared to ask. My two middle kids have probably seen their bio parents doing it, so they could tell me a thing or two.

At any rate, my DH would freak if I showed them somethign like that. He doens't want his girls to EVER know about sex.

Nakhlasmoke

yes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cathellisen.com
Soccer Mom said:
Sorry. I don't think child birth is "dirty", but I'm just not letting my kids see my hoohah--baby or no.

Haha, no worries. Everyone has different standards of modesty. I often bathe with my daughter, and my husband does too occasionally, so I got asked some interesting questions-
Sprog - "why don't I have a tail?"
Me - "Eh?"
Sprog - "Like daddy? Why don't I have a tail like daddy?"
Me - *clicks* "Oh, right..."

Southern_girl29

Registered
Reaction score
Nakhlasmoke said:
Haha, no worries. Everyone has different standards of modesty. I often bathe with my daughter, and my husband does too occasionally, so I got asked some interesting questions-
Sprog - "why don't I have a tail?"
Me - "Eh?"
Sprog - "Like daddy? Why don't I have a tail like daddy?"
Me - *clicks* "Oh, right..."

The other day, my little girl, who is three, walked in on her daddy going to the bathroom. She came out and looked at me and said, "Daddy doesn't have private parts."

I said, "Why do you say that?"

And, she said, "His hang out." LOL.

When I was pregnant with her, my cousin's children, who are more like a niece and nephew to me, were very curious. Their grandfather told them I swallowed the baby. They kept wanting to know if they could swallow a baby, so they could have one in their tummy, too.

Nakhlasmoke

yes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cathellisen.com
Goodness, but they come up with some interesting theories, our sprogs - *laughs at Southern_girl's girl*

That German picyure book had me on the floor howling with laughter - the baby popping out with arms flung wide was the best. It deserves to be an icon.

Mom'sWrite

Service with a smile
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.returnengagement.blogspot.com
For my oldest (a boy), interest in how babies got inside their mommy's tummy lasted about 1 minute.

Conor: How does the baby get in there? *points to my abdomen*

Me: Daddy helps me put it there.

Conor: Yeah, his arms are longer.

All-righty then!:D

Mandy-Jane

venturing ever further into the unknown
Registered
Reaction score
I will complete a play this year! I will!
Thanks everyone for your comments (although some were a little `unhelpful'). She already knows how they come out, but the getting in there part has me stuck. I think I'll just be totally honest with her, as most of you said.

I just didn't expect this question quite so soon and I'm totally unprepared for it!

She hasn't brought the subject up again yet, but at least I'll be ready when she does. Thanks!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.