PDA

View Full Version : Readers beware...

PeeDee
10-17-2006, 07:13 AM
.....you're IN for a SCAAAAARE!

:)

No scary videos to terrify anyone with this time. This time, I'm asking YOU a question.

We're doing a dorky "thirteen nights of fright" sort of spookyfest this Halloween. We do it every year. We watch movies every night from around now until Halloween.

mostly dorky movies (wes Craven's dorkfest "The People Under the Stairs" is on the list) but some genuinly scary movies.

So!

What should go on my list? Below Village of the Damned, of course, because you can't be that.:)

TrainofThought
10-17-2006, 07:16 AM
Candyman.

Perks
10-17-2006, 07:25 AM
'Ghost Ship'. Entirely pedestrian except for the most tremendous opening sequence maybe ever - old school, top-notch latex and karo syrup + red dye #3 effects.

Nothing short of brilliant.

And Shaun of the Dead to enrich your appreciation for horror giggles. Do it. Do it now.

PeeDee
10-17-2006, 07:29 AM
Three good choices for this year! We've seen Candyman several times, and we've seen Ghost Ship too. My wife, however, claims to have never seen it, so obviously she didn't like it.

The opening razor wire scene, though.....that made me happy. The rest of the movie was good too.

Thirteen Ghosts. I liked that movie. It was kind of dorky, but the ghosts were freaky.

writerterri
10-17-2006, 09:42 AM
Ghost Hunters on Wednesday night at 9pm (pacific). Go to scifi.com and check for show times. Those shows can get creepy. I think they also show horror movies too.

How about The Blair Witch Projects. That gets me everytime.

PeeDee
10-17-2006, 09:45 AM
We watch Ghost Hunters every week. My wife has been watching since the first season, I started watching to spend some time with myne wyfe, I've gotten more and more interested. Their past season premiere in Tombstone Arizona was very interesting. So was the lighthouse episode.

I sat in a theater full of people watching Blair Witch and mostly tried not to be sick to my stomach.....from motion. I don't generally have that problem, but oi.

The second Blair Witch was terrifyingly bad.

writerterri
10-17-2006, 09:48 AM
I couldn't watch the second one.

I love Ghost Hunters. The light house episode was creepy. Especially when the dark figure looked over the edge of the rail to the bottom. And when you saw his hand decend the railing two floors in a flash. That freaked me out! *shivers*

aadams73
10-17-2006, 12:54 PM
If you want a scary ghost movie you can't go wrong with The Changeling.

Christine N.
10-17-2006, 02:55 PM
I'm a big Scream franchise fan. I know, I know, but that's the kind of horror movie I like - a little bit of blood and gore, a whole lot of "who is it and where will they show up next."

In that vein - "I Know What you Did Last Summer" (the sequel was awful), and "Urban Legend" (good, clean, horrifying fun).

I didn't see any of the "Saw" movies, but I can imagine they're pretty scary. And "The House on Haunted Hill" has moments of laughter and fright, despite being a B-movie (IMO).

I also thought "Identity" (John Cusack, Amanda Peet, Ray Liotta)was scary and weird. Totally got me at the end, never saw it coming. Re-watchable.

You could go old school - "The Blob", "The Thing", "Them" (who can't resist a movie about giant, radioactive ants!), or the ORIGINAL Texas Chainsaw and House of Wax ('cause Vincent Price is always scary)

Have fun!

Ol' Fashioned Girl
10-17-2006, 03:10 PM
After 'Changeling', gotta be 'The Exorcist'.

bookgeek
10-17-2006, 04:12 PM
Pete, This is such a cool idea that if I was a big horror fan, I'd be pissed I didn't think of it first!

I'm not really into the horror movie thing, but I did like Dark Water (I saw the original and the remake--think I liked the original more) and Sixth Sense. Also, Jaws. I can watch Jaws over and over again--but I think that's due to my sheer terror of sharks. I'd much rather be in a room filled with 13 ghosts than be in a room with 13 sharks.

JustinThorne
10-17-2006, 04:25 PM
The Descent - for how to 'do' a creature feature and expertly create much of the mood (and horror), simply from the natural surroundings.

Wolf Creek - For how to set characters up so the viewer actually cares about them before they get chopped-up.

The Entity - For the most unsettling supernatural horror, 'based on a true story'.

The Grudge - For me, it was better than the Ring movies, stars SMG and japanese kids make the creepiest ghosties!

Dog Soldiers - For 'old school' werewolves, no CGI and one of the best scripts in any horror movie, ever.

Dreamscape - Genius sci fi/horror.

Aliens - Genius sci fi/horror.

Silver Bullet - For Corey Haim at his most camp, for old school werewolves and of course, the 'eye-patch' scene!

Amityville- The original, Classic.

Exorcist 3 - Because nothing is scarier than possessed old folk, smelling like piss and blue rinse, crawling across the ceiling!

Bmwhtly
10-17-2006, 04:32 PM
Since you mentioned (repeatedly) that this is gonna be a Dorky spookfest, you should dig out Shaun of the Dead and Dog Soldiers They are both very good horror films, but they're made by people who love films (particularly horror) so theres dozens of subtle references to other films dribbled through them. See how many you can spot.

Also watch The Thing and maybe an Evil Dead or two (not Army of Darkness under any circumstances.

NeuroFizz
10-17-2006, 04:37 PM
Reanimator (you shouldn't even have to ask about this one)

piscesgirl80
10-17-2006, 04:46 PM
My definition of old school is a bit older.I'd suggest some of the original monster movies with Bela Lugosi and Boris Karloff. They're fun to watch with friends and laugh at all the bad special effects, yet a few hours afterwards, you often find yourself a little spooked.

Perks
10-17-2006, 05:36 PM
Dog Soldiers - For 'old school' werewolves, no CGI and one of the best scripts in any horror movie, ever.

"I hope I give you the s*its."

Lol! If I ever find myself up against a wall about to be a monster's dinner, I hope I say something cool.

aka eraser
10-17-2006, 05:40 PM
I'll second Reanimator and offer up Basket Case.

Bmwhtly
10-17-2006, 05:53 PM
"I hope I give you the s*its."

Lol! If I ever find myself up against a wall about to be a monster's dinner, I hope I say something cool.I don't want to divert this thread into a Dog Soldiers appreciation thread. But since we're talking famous last lines from Dog Soldiers, how about.
You tried licking your own balls yet?
HeHe

MidnightMuse
10-17-2006, 06:30 PM
Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Tim Curry in a lace teddy - nothing more frightening than that.

Soccer Mom
10-17-2006, 06:58 PM
Nosferatu

AN American Werewolf in London: laughs and screams.

And I looooove Dog Soldiers.

Bmwhtly
10-17-2006, 07:31 PM
And this wouldn't be a proper horror thread if no-one mentioned Romero at least once. If Zombies are your thing, I'd go for Day of the Dead. If not, why not try a Martin

JustinThorne
10-17-2006, 08:20 PM
Lost Boys - One of the first horror flicks targeted at teens, with funky characters and pop-culture references?

You have to do a Nightmare on Elm Street!

Omen The original, creepy, british version of course!

Scanners - For the exploding head.

Don't look now - For the creepy dwarf and gothic setting.

Interview with the Vampire - For a postmodern vision of Vamps.

A company of Wolves - Fairytale horror.

Jack_Roberts
10-17-2006, 08:22 PM
We watch Ghost Hunters every week. My wife has been watching since the first season, I started watching to spend some time with myne wyfe, I've gotten more and more interested. Their past season premiere in Tombstone Arizona was very interesting. So was the lighthouse episode.

What did you think about that shape in the lighthouse that zipped to the top? SO COOL!

Did you see the one where Grant and Jason are checking out those lockers with their equipment and they see that man dressed in Civil War attire with a cap and gun? He even nodded!

Tombstone was great, too. I can't wait to see what else they have coming!

As for movies, I'm more of a Universal Monsters type guy. We watch those, and we also watch the simple family fare like Hocus Pocus and Nightmare Before Christmas. I don't have any real scary ideas. At least none that come to mind.

Christine N.
10-17-2006, 08:24 PM
Ooo, yes, the Omen..

Add in The Ring. I didn't see it, but I heard it was terrifying.

JustinThorne
10-17-2006, 08:28 PM
Stephen King's IT, just because horror should never feature clowns, they are just too damn scary!

I really loved The Gate and I have no idea why... I just did. Also loved the campy crud that was Critters, how can anyone call this the poor man's Gremlins?

Pet Cemetary - For the scene where the baby bites out that guy's adam's apple! Plus for making it perfectly clear to our generation that you DO NOT BUILD ON SACRED BURIAL GROUNDS!

Poltergeist was magnificent for its time!

TrainofThought
10-17-2006, 09:28 PM
Lost Boys - One of the first horror flicks targeted at teens, with funky characters and pop-culture references? This is a hotty movie not a horror flick.

RhinoMom
10-17-2006, 09:50 PM
I'm a spooky movie freak. Not a gore movie freak. A spooky movie freak. Whole different vibe.

I just saw Silent Hill and it's atmospherically spooky, with some gore...but more spook. Plot not that great...but it's good for mood. I'd recommend.

Also, Suspiria is old school cheesy freaky spooky.

The Eye was pretty good, too.

I'm looking forward to seeing Devil's Backbone...I heard it was good.

Oh oh oh! And The Others! Good ghost story...

Debbie

dclary
10-17-2006, 11:02 PM
Bugs

I've never been able to watch it all the way through. Tried 3 times. It terrified me as a child.

Bmwhtly
10-18-2006, 02:29 PM
And of course Pee Dee, we expect to be told what you choose and what you thought of it.

JustinThorne
10-18-2006, 03:15 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing Devil's Backbone...I heard it was good.

Devil's Backbone is a beautiful, creepy movie... one of the best 'foreign films' I have seen.

The same guy did 'Brotherhood of the Wolf', which is an interesting martial arts/fantasy/horror flick.

Christine N.
10-18-2006, 04:43 PM
How 'bout the classic.... Halloween.

Come on, Jamie Lee can scream like anything! I LOVE that movie. I kinda like the second and third, but after that it just got stupid. Halloween H20 was not worth the time.

Bmwhtly
10-18-2006, 05:18 PM
Halloween H20 was not worth the time. Not to mention Halloween Ressurection.
*Remembers watching that and goes to throw up*

HaleyDaulton
10-18-2006, 05:49 PM
For sheer campiness complimented with a definite "ick" factor, try Wrong Turn. Then again, maybe it's scary to me because I *know* people from West Virginia. Hee! :roll:

JustinThorne
10-18-2006, 06:02 PM
How about the original The Wicker Man?

Dunno what it is about brits, but they manage to make witchcraft/devil worshiping so much scarier than Hollywood.

Bmwhtly
10-18-2006, 06:11 PM
How about the original The Wicker Man?

Dunno what it is about brits, but they manage to make witchcraft/devil worshiping so much scarier than Hollywood.*Takes A Bow*
:thankyou:

JustinThorne
10-18-2006, 06:13 PM
Hollywood manage to make it sexier, though... ;-)

RhinoMom
10-18-2006, 06:29 PM
The same guy did 'Brotherhood of the Wolf', which is an interesting martial arts/fantasy/horror flick.

I didn't know that. I enjoyed Brotherhood of the Wolf. I like that guy's style.

Did anyone see The Descent? It was out in theatres a few months ago -- don't know if it is on DVD yet -- that was a good one. I've long felt that the best spooky/horror movies are made outside of the U.S. Wonder why that is.

JustinThorne
10-18-2006, 06:33 PM
Devil's Backbone is much better, it's beautifully shot and whilst very creepy, it is also very sweet... if that is possible!

Yes, I mention the Descent on the other page.

CaroGirl
10-18-2006, 06:37 PM
28 Days Later was great. And Night of the Living Dead (the newer one with Sarah Polley).

For campy, try Don't Go into the Woods.

For tongue-in-cheek, try Fright Night. I love that one. Very 80s. And, of course, as mentioned, Shaun of the Dead (heh heh).

Bmwhtly
10-18-2006, 06:41 PM
Did anyone see The Descent? It was out in theatres a few months ago -- don't know if it is on DVD yet -- that was a good one. I've long felt that the best spooky/horror movies are made outside of the U.S. Wonder why that is. Yes. It's been out on DVD in the UK for some considerable time, I gather they are going to release it on DVD in the States (with both the UK and US ending) at some point.
Interestingly (maybe), it's from the same writer/director as Dog Soldiers.
You can tell because they've both got "Eddie Oswald" in them. If anyone knows what I'm dribbling about, they deserve a geek Rep Point.

JustinThorne
10-18-2006, 06:48 PM
The name 'Eddie Oswald' is always referred to in Marshall's feature films. In Dog Soldiers, Sergeant Wells (Sean Pertwee (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean_Pertwee)) tells a story about the death of a fellow soldier - Eddie Oswald. In The Descent, Sarah (Shauna MacDonald (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shauna_MacDonald)) finds an antiquated helmet with the name Oswald on the rim.

Redd Ryden
10-18-2006, 09:27 PM
*sigh* I don't get to watch much modern horror. Husband is all "Bond. James Bond"-- he can't abide horror. And I've given up taking myself to the movies.

But you can't beat the original Dracula for creepy (if you *really* listen...) and the Thomas Tyron 1970 (?) movie-- The Other (where the grandma encourages the little boy to "just *become* the (whatever-- falcon, other people and finally-- the titled: *Other*)". It still creeps me out.

Jack_Roberts
10-18-2006, 09:44 PM
13 Ghosts and Frighteners both were good.

Polterguist was great too.

RhinoMom
10-18-2006, 09:48 PM
Also, I remember Burnt Offerings as being supremely creepy (but book was better).

Carrie in PA
10-19-2006, 01:12 AM
Theatre of Blood (http://www.amazon.com/Theatre-Blood-Douglas-Hickox/dp/B00005K3OD/sr=8-1/qid=1161205832/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-5463142-2188847?ie=UTF8) - Vincent Price movie. Bet you'd love it! It's twisted and funny and scary... It's one of my favorites of his, next to House of Wax. Really, you can't go wrong with Vincent Price.

Inkdaub
10-19-2006, 09:54 AM
People Under the Stairs is an awesome movie.

Carrie in PA
11-01-2006, 01:37 AM
So what'd you end up with???

PeeDee
11-01-2006, 01:45 AM
Here are my Thirteen Nights of Dorky Fright.

1. Gremlins

2. The Ring

3. The Others

4. From Hell (saw it once, liked it, read the graphic novel, watched it this time, despised it heartily)

5. Frankenstein (the original one, in black and white, because my wife had not seen it.

6. Poltergeist

7. The Exorcist (the first one)

8. Stigmata

9. Evil Dead II (so much fun)

10. Land of the Dead

11. Pet Semetary

12. Stephen King's Rose Red (campy, maybe, but I love it.)

.....and then the ultimate winner........

13. Frankenstein vs. The Monster From Hell! (starring Peter Cushing)

:D

Carrie in PA
11-01-2006, 01:48 AM
Ooooooh, some great choices on there! I loved 1, 6, 7 and 11. ("Sometimes, dead is better.")

#2 sucked, IMO.

Not. Scary.

PeeDee
11-01-2006, 01:53 AM
the Ring? Nope, wasn't scary at all. I enjoyed it, but I enjoyed it with all the tension that I have with a regular thriller sort of movie. It scared me no more than the Resident Evil movies did. I enjoyed it anyway.

Very few of the movies on that list are actually scary, or intensely scary all the way through. That wasn't really the point. If I wanted that, then "The Grudge" would have been on the list and no other movies, since that one reduces me to a gibbering lump of flesh.

Carrie in PA
11-01-2006, 01:57 AM
I miss the good old days of horror movies. *sigh* The whole Poltergeist, et al era just rocked. Lots of intense psychological stuff in there. Most current stuff that I've seen is a cheese-fest and/or a poorly done ripoff of the good slasher movies from back in the day.

PeeDee
11-01-2006, 01:58 AM
They're HEEEEEEEre!

That little old lady in Poltergeist is damn freaky.

Carrie in PA
11-01-2006, 02:01 AM
They're HEEEEEEEre!

That little old lady in Poltergeist is damn freaky.

Was it 1 or 2 that the teenagers were their evil sides? I thought it was cinematic genius when they were walking around and the lettering on their jackets was backwards.

*updating Netflix queue*

PeeDee
11-01-2006, 02:10 AM
Must have been the second one, I don't remember that in the first one. (I never saw the second one.)

It was Craig T. Nelson. What else do I need?

Carrie in PA
11-01-2006, 02:12 AM
(I never saw the second one.)

If you liked the first one, you have to see the second one. Rare sequel that's darn near as good as the original!

Carrie in PA
11-01-2006, 02:14 AM
Was it the third one? All I remember from the second one was that scary, scary man.

OOOOOOOH! The old guy that lurks around singing! He was CREEEEEEEPY!!!

robeiae
11-01-2006, 02:22 AM
PeePee, I'm disappointed in you. No Abbott and Costello meet Frankenstein?

PeeDee
11-01-2006, 02:31 AM
PeePee, I'm disappointed in you. No Abbott and Costello meet Frankenstein?

I couldn't find a copy! I wanted to! It's classic!

Soccer Mom
11-01-2006, 03:06 AM
You should have chosen Dog Soldiers.