What else do you do? (for work)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShannonC_77

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm just wondering what you guys do here for work if you are not full-time writers?

I'm trying to work full-time right now in freelancing but I'm not sure if I'm cut out of for this as a full-time career - just not sure I can provide enough steady income to support myself.

Lately I've been thinking about doing some accounting courses to get a designation but that is starting to seem like not such a great idea. Now I'm thinking maybe teaching would be good for me, plus with summers off I would have quite a bit of time to continue writing (as regardless what I do I'm sure I'll still do some type of writing).

Anyway, it'd be great to hear about the backgrounds of people here.

johnnycannuk

No, I'm little people now
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a software architect and consultant for a large "Big 5" consulting company. I have an unnatural hatred for MS Excel

RhinoMom

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a communucations manager at a non-profit.
I write press releases, brochure copy, websites, ads, etc.

I've never considered the above "my" type of writing, but I've always done it for a living. I much prefer the creativity my off-hours writing provides.

Debbie

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
I'm a broadcast engineer by education, and currently wire huge, industrial machines for a machine manufacturer.

Pays the bills, but it's a job. That's what they're for.

I make time to write books and freelance write the occasional article.

allen

allen

K1P1

Procrastination is its own reward
Registered
Reaction score
I'm the assistant director of a research center at a major university (part time), publish my own line of knitting patterns, do freelance copy and technical editing of knitting books and patterns, and do freelance teaching of knitting workshops.

Is that enough?

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
I'm a double-knot spy!

maxbaerjr.jpg

Lyra Jean

Two years old now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beyondtourism.wordpress.com
I'm a Wal-Mart slave. I work at the customer service desk.

[PSA]Remember once software, movies, or video games are open you can only exchange them for the exact same title. I don't care if you pay your taxes or if this is your first return ever in your lifetime. You are not above the law.[/PSA]

Mandy-Jane

venturing ever further into the unknown
Registered
Reaction score
I will complete a play this year! I will!
I'm the CEO of a busy household with a staff of 3 working under me (husband, 2 kids). I'm also a nurse, psychologist, counsellor, taxi-driver, cook (not a very good one), cleaner and teacher. But before I became a Mother, I was a Secretary.

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
I work at CVS/pharmacy as a "sales associate" aka grunt. Or paeon, if you want to call it that. Low end of the food chain, but I have seniority over most of the people I work with, so I get to pick and choose what I do on my shifts. :p I end up being everything from a product catalogue to customer service/assistance to secretary to shelf stocker to janitor to just about everything else you can possibly do at a retail pharmacy. Everything that's legal, anyways.

~DragonHeart~

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a nuclear physicist, but I do lingerie modeling on weekends.

Maryn, liar

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
I seduce high level international executives, steal their corporate secrets and sell them to a client who is best left unnamed.

Cyjon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
andyhumphrey.net
I'm the designated respite care provider for my disabled niece. I get paid by the state of AZ to take care of her 60 hours a month. To me that's pretty much like getting paid to eat chocolate or ogle swimsuit models.

This month, in addition to watching my sister's daughter, I watched her cats while they were on vacation. The sad thing - it looks like I'll make more money from cat sitting than I make from writing this month.

I have debated about getting a part time job to supplement my income until I'm making more from writing, but every hour I'm working at another job is another hour I'm not developing my writing career.

Status
Not open for further replies.