Status
Not open for further replies.

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
How terribly strange. How probably very cool, except it's also very strange...

...one of those things which I would very happily use in the bath. Note-writing in the bath! Brilliant! The work I would get done!

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
I love baths for that reason, it's quiet, calm, I'm alone (well not always), and my head is clear. I keep a notebook but the risk of dripping water on it makes me shy away from using it. I'll have to look into getting one of those.

JulesJones

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.julesjones.com
They're made by several companies, and sold to science lab workers (which is where I know them from), outdoor activity people etc. Googling on "waterproof notebooks" willl get you a string of mail order suppliers, and if you've got an outdoor activities shop like REI nearby you can probably find them in there. Most of them will work with an ordinary pen or pencil, but to be fully waterproof, you need to use something that won't run when it gets wet. An ordinary lead pencil should be okay, but as MidnightMuse says, there are waterproof pens available as well.

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
icerose said:
I love baths for that reason, it's quiet, calm, I'm alone (well not always), and my head is clear. I keep a notebook but the risk of dripping water on it makes me shy away from using it. I'll have to look into getting one of those.

I think it's a writerly thing. I very much enjoy my bath. Usually, I take one between scenes I'm not sure about, so I can recharge. I can waste whole hours lying there reading something else.

I don't know if I'd actually write in the bath. I think I enjoy reading too much.

Those of you who are braver than I could set up a laptop near the bath with a microphone and one of those dictation programs. That would work too.

Carrie in PA

Write All The Words!
Registered
Reaction score
So I could quit jumping out of the shower, leaving a trail of wet splotches in my wake, freezing my tushy, and just jot something down IN the shower instead??? Whoa. On the Christmas list it goes!

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
Jadezuki said:
Now I'm wondering if something like a laminated sheet of paper or message board, and a wax crayon would work - something erasable, as I'm usually working on only one scene at a time when I'm in the shower, and thus wouldn't usually need more than a sheet. Anyone have any similar methods, or know if it would be feasable?

That's what I want to look into, something reusable. Since my budget is so tight, I don't think I could just throw the notebook away when I was done with it.

PeeDee, yeah, I think so too. I don't get a lot of time in the tub anymore because my kids always need or want something, but when they get older, I love writing in the tub because it's just a great spot to do it lol.

RedMolly

My beat is correct
Registered
Reaction score
Just 'cause you feel it doesn't mean it's there
Now I'm wondering if something like a laminated sheet of paper or message board, and a wax crayon would work

I don't see why it wouldn't work... but I know I'd chew my hand off in frustration trying to write with a crayon. I have itty-bitty teeny-weeny ultra-precise handwriting, and trying to write with a crayon would be like trying to floss my teeth with a two-by-four.

Sure, those notebooks might be a little pricey (I just ordered two little ones for $5 each), but if I get even one saleable manifestation out of them, they'll more than pay for themselves...

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I can't write in the bath. Two reasons:

1) We only have a shower in the renovated part of the house. The unfinished end of the house has three baths, but no hot water.

2) Baths are too sensual and I get distracted. I can barely manage to read in them for oooh, more than an hour or two.

Sassenach

5 W's & an H
Registered
Reaction score
I don't have the world's greatest memory but I can remember something for the 2 minutes it takes to get out of the shower, dry off and grab a pencil.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
You've obviously got a lot less to towel off than I have, Sass (said sadly, whilst considering the size of my rear end).

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I am a great lover of the bubble bath (even though my tub is 4' long and I'm 5' 7" long) but I don't write in there. I simply think, imagine the next scene or an upcoming scene or issue, or mentally re-write a scene. Anything good enough to think up is gonna stick in my head long enough to get written down within the next few hours.

I won't get out of bed to jot anything down, either. I think about it over and over, working it out, then if it's there in the morning, it's good enough to write down. If not, then something else comes along.

I do buy the pads from BenMeadows all the time for work, and they do work in wet environments. But any laminated sheet and wax pencil will do the same thing.

Just my .02cents :)

RedMolly

My beat is correct
Registered
Reaction score
Just 'cause you feel it doesn't mean it's there
I don't have the world's greatest memory but I can remember something for the 2 minutes it takes to get out of the shower, dry off and grab a pencil.

OK, this is how the aquatic inspiration process currently works for me:

1. Strip down, hop in, lather up.
2. Stand for several minutes with painfully hot water squirting at that one permanently tweaked spot in my shoulder.
3. Get inspiration! Not just one idea, but a flood of the flighty little buggers!
4. Rinse off rapidly, getting oceans of soap in mouth as a result of big cheesy inspired grin.
5. Hop out; dry off body; spend next five-ten minutes towelling off and brushing out ridiculous quantities of over-long hair. Because if the tangles dry in, they're staying in.
6. Throw on clothes; go in search of a pen and notebook.
7. Interruption no. 1: child approaches me with bleeding limb, the result of my inattention for the last ten minutes and his brother's resulting slide into attack mode. Bandage child; dry tears.
8. Interruption no. 2: phone rings with the distinctive ringtone of a Work Call that cannot be ignored. Answer; put out minor fire.
9. Interruption no. 3: other child approaches, requesting that I unzip the back of his Wolverine costume so he can use the bathroom.
10. Track down pen and notebook in appointed spot on bedside table.
11. Pen is dry. Someone (beloved Sweetie, perhaps) has been using it to jot notes while on phone and neglected to replace cap.
12. Find functional pen, after going through pen cup and flinging aside four or five non-functional models.
13. Second child approaches again, requesting that the back of his Wolverine costume be re-zipped into place.
14. Pen in hand--check. Notebook in hand--check. Ready to record brilliant idea!
15. What were we talking about again?

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Old Hack said:
2) Baths are too sensual and I get distracted. I can barely manage to read in them for oooh, more than an hour or two.

:e2thud:

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
RedMolly said:
14. Pen in hand--check. Notebook in hand--check. Ready to record brilliant idea!
15. What were we talking about again?

Keep a small notebook and mechanical pencil in the bathroom in the cabinent and just jot them down with dry hands and wet everything else that's what I do. Sure you freeze your naked butt off, but at least no one gets to interrupt you while you are jotting them down...unless your sweetheart is home, then there is just no guarantee!

I prefer bathsalts over bubbles, but once in a while bubbles are still fun.

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
I only put rose petals and Mariah Carey in my baths.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
Well if you aren't taking a shower and are lounging in a tub, you can just get a cheap voice recorder, set it to meeting setting and leave it on the sink nearby. It should pick up your voice just fine. There are also those that record only when sounds activate them, so you wouldn't have to fumble through a lot of quiet lulls.

http://www.spyville.com/penvoicerecorder.html

A writers dream.

Last edited:

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
I_Shrugged said:
ETA: Eureka! Waterproof watches with a digital voice recorder inside! Google for it, and you'll see several makes and models. One in particular is by a company called 'Skullcandy'. (I don't know anything about any of these, so if you buy one and it doesn't work, don't shoot me.)

Finally, I can record voice memos underwater! Yes!

:D

(actually, it does look pretty cool, in a very dorky sort of Dick Tracey kind of way.)

Status
Not open for further replies.