PDA

View Full Version : How many different types of writing do you do?

piscesgirl80
10-16-2006, 06:28 PM
How many different types of writing do you do? Either completely different fields such as scriptwriting and poetry, or different genres, such as romances and thrillers?(Yes, I know there can be significant overlap between genres, but you know what I mean.:) ) And what type that you don't write, do you particularly admire?

Not that I'm any good at any of them, :tongue but I've tried my hand at greeting-card writing, personal essays, poetry and non-fiction articles. I really admire those of you who are writing/have written full-length books. I don't think I have the skill at this point to develop an idea over hundreds of pages.

CaroGirl
10-16-2006, 06:40 PM
I'm a technical writer by profession, so I've been writing and editing technical documentation for about 8 years.

Even before the tech writing gig, I got a journalism diploma during which I did a 6-week placement at a daily newspaper. I wrote and published many journalistic articles, in several departments, during that time.

When I'm not writing for actual money, I write short stories and novels (working on my 2nd). The short stories are mostly literary, but I have a few that are crime/mystery (earlier this year I received 2nd place in a crime short fiction contest).

I've also written some personal narrative stories, which I have yet to publish. I write what I want to write, so, no there's nothing I wish I could write that I don't (apart from better, that just comes from practise and lots of hard work).

JustinThorne
10-16-2006, 06:42 PM
Well, I write for a living... but it tends to be communications in the form of adverts, brochures, Websites, and copy for editorials, press releases and the like. No wonder I like to get my teeth into some fiction!

My novels tend to be fantasy but I have written shorts in many different genres including fantasy, sci fi, mystery, horror and crime.

I would love to learn how to write movie scripts and I intend to research the discipline next year. I respect good script writers a great deal.

I have never been interested in poetry, reading it or writing it. I've always found this a bit odd as I am a songwriter, which is similar.

stormie
10-16-2006, 07:16 PM
I have MGD, or Multiple Genre Disorder. I write across the board. Short stories (romance, mild horror), essays (religious and mainstream), poetry (humorous for fillers, and also for greeting cards), two completed novels (one published for Young Adults, one that's for Middle Grade readers that's with an agent right now), let's see.... I think that pretty much covers what I've been doing for over six years!

Edited to add: I usually have three different writings going on at one time to avoid writer's block. Works for me!

KTC
10-16-2006, 07:45 PM
Types of writing I've been paid for:

Fiction
Poetry
Non-fiction
Articles
Radio Advertisements
Press Releases
Memoir
Spoken Word Essays recorded for Radio
Bios
Speeches
Humour Essays
Web Content

DeadlyAccurate
10-16-2006, 07:46 PM
Short stories, game reviews, and novels. Short stories are whatever comes across my mind; so far it's been fantasy and science fiction. I don't write many of them. Game reviews are whatever I get paid to play and write about. In novels, I've written thrillers and fantasy. My latest may be YA thriller, but I'm not sure.

ATP
10-16-2006, 07:52 PM
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32066

rt2
10-16-2006, 08:13 PM
Poetry
Song
Fiction
History
Business
Philosophy
Humor/Joke

ChunkyC
10-16-2006, 08:47 PM
I write a weekly movie review newspaper column, and I have dabbled in web content. These I've been paid for.

I also write fiction: I have one mainstream short story in print in the Stories of Strength anthology.

I'm working on my third novel in a series that is sci fi with paranormal elements.

I've also written a pretty straightforward fantasy story that's finished at 50,000 words. I want to get it up to novel length.

I collaborated with two other writers on a political technothriller, mostly for fun. It too is not long enough to be a novel, but we have talked about whipping it into shape some day.

Most recently, I have begun outlining a mainstream novel, which I hope to get to during breaks in some of the other projects.

Tracy
10-16-2006, 09:01 PM
I pretty much only write novels. I've written two short stories, but only 'cos I was asked to, for anthologies for charity.
I've done a bit of freelance journalism as well, but very little, and really only about stuff I'm interested in anyway.
So, no, I'm a novelist through and through, and remain faithful to that!

MidnightMuse
10-16-2006, 11:21 PM
Novels, both Science Fiction and Mainstream (stand alones and serials).
Poetry once in a great while
and I blog when the mood strikes :)

bookgeek
10-16-2006, 11:35 PM
I'm pretty much a short story writer. Novels are big windy things and just seem to be bad ideas all around for someone with ADD to attempt to conquer. One day I might...but only after my medication kicks in.

Sometimes I attempt poetry--it always turns out bad--but I'd rather read it than write it. How bizarre is that? (You can rate it on a scale of 1-10).

When I had a blog, I loved the format/idea of bloggy-type writing. Does that make me a personal essayist? If so, then put me down for that one, too.

I wish they didn't have genres because I think it just separates neighbors, but if I had to classify my short stories, I'd say: literary-ish/mainstream-ish. I'm wishy-washy-ish like that. :)

(Edited: for bad, wishy-washy-ish/ADD grammar skills).

Kate Thornton
10-17-2006, 12:09 AM
Short stories - primarily mystery & science fiction
But also - romance (shorts & novel) adventure (novels) poetry and non-fiction articles

AdamH
10-17-2006, 01:39 AM
I've written short stories (one of which was published in Stories of Strength), a online column about an up and coming writer (the website now is defunct :cry:), a few novels mostly in a action/thriller/philosophical genre (the most recent one is the first one I'm serious about publishing), and I'm the editor-in-chief and writer for my company's work newsletter.

Other stuff I've dabbled in: poetry (I've had a few published when I was younger), a kid's story, a few comedy sketches, and currently am producing a short script to film for a film festival.

All this and I can cook too!!!! :D

ChaosTitan
10-17-2006, 04:41 AM
I've written three novels so far, one mainstream/lit and the other two urban fantasy. I'm nearing the finish line on a fourth urban fantasy novel.

I've also written three screenplays: one buddy western, one family drama (think Lifetime MotW), and a mystery/drama.

Tiger
10-17-2006, 04:57 AM
I write mostly marketing and sales correspondence and copy. I only started interviewing and doing expository stuff when faced with an emergency (AKA, a deadline).

Maybe we'll need a fiction writer next?

-D

Oddsocks
10-17-2006, 05:30 AM
Currently, only fantasy (first WIP), and I intend to try some sci-fi at some point.

scottVee
10-17-2006, 01:19 PM
Hi. I think that experimenting is essential. If I did one thing all day I'd go insane. I've had fiction, poetry, articles and artwork published; and short films produced. Sci-fi, fantasy, slipstream, comedy, crime noir, horror, prose poems, free verse, haiku, even some limericks recently. I try to have a good grasp of each genre and style, and the key writers in each field, so of course I read a wild combination of things, too.

That's entertainment. ;-)

Nakhlasmoke
10-17-2006, 02:01 PM
Mostly fantasy novels, although one of my shorts got called magical realism (I wish!).

I'm not really comfortable writing in short story format, so I don't have too many of them.

And I write the occasional dreadfully angsty poem.

icerose
10-17-2006, 07:19 PM
I write in the following:

Formats:

short stories
screenplays long and short
novels
press releases

Genres:

Fantasy
Suspense
Thriller
Political Thriller
Horror
Mystery
Science fiction
Romance (On occasion when it won't leave me alone but someone always has to die.)
Romantic Comedy
Comedy
Children's
Young Adult

I think that's all of them.

Evaine
10-17-2006, 08:46 PM
When I write, fantasy is usually what comes out, but I've also worked on a local history project, as part of a team. It was one of our village's Millenium projects.

Shadow_Ferret
10-17-2006, 10:04 PM
I write primarily fantasy, but that's a pretty broad category in and of itself, because I write alternative history (no magic, elves, whatnot), urban fantasy, high fantasy, and space opera. I have tried my hand at what would be called small-press literary, but it's come off badly. And I have tried poetry, but it comes off even worse (which is why no one here will ever see it).

I've had an idea for a real historical novel based on Ancient Rome. But all I've done so far is some research and no writing.

yanallefish
10-17-2006, 10:28 PM
GENRES

Fantasy: sword & sorcery, high fantasy without knights and fighting in it, urban fantasy

Science fiction: a lot of biological (ok, I'm obsessed with bacteria), some aliens, mysterysf, sociological (I was a soc major in college)

Speculative
Horror (not the blood and gore type)

KINDS

story, poetry, novella, serials, novel (small)

SJAB
10-18-2006, 01:31 AM
Types;

Short Stories.

Flash Fiction.

Novels.

Genre;

Fantasy with a small "f" for the most part. No Elves Dragons or Wizards, well, only in one story, but that was a pastiche.

I have dabbled with horror, erotica, historical fiction.

Mainly my stories go where they think they should.

Sold one short story, horror, yet to be published.

One flash fiction, a what if story, or as the review on Horrorscope called it " a well-constructed meditation on beauty and survival in a post-apocalyptic world. "

Live2Write
10-18-2006, 05:21 AM
Poetry
Song-Lyrics
Novels
Short Stories
Journals
Blogs
Screen-plays (as soon as I learn how)I do a bit of non fiction but...only when I'm feeling really deep and philisophical. ;)

Ol' Fashioned Girl
10-18-2006, 05:47 AM
Historicals and the odd bit of Trek, for comic relief. ;)

Arisa81
10-18-2006, 09:14 AM
What I write:

Poetry
Greeting card verse
Articles
Quizzes

I have also been thinking about trying my hand at Chicken Soup type stories.

In a way, writing different things suites me since I get "bored" (that's not really the right word) easily and like to switch things up often. But I also think it might be holding me back from really succeeding in one area. I guess I don't write too many different things that I can't handle them all. I just wonder sometimes if I would do better if I focussed on only 2.

chicagogal
10-18-2006, 09:48 AM
Writing that I have had published and been paid for in various money denominations: for richer, for poorer....

beauty
travel
spas
personal experience
greeting cards
celebrities(mostly of the Hollywood type)
YA mystery novels
celebrity bios(books)
cookbooks
food features
song lyrics

Tiger
10-21-2006, 04:25 AM
...I just realized that I should have listed my non-professional writing as well.

I do some social commentary once in awhile, which usually takes the form of satire. I like picking on the politically correct--but not in a mean way.

I'm also working on a novel about 17th century Japan. This is just an excuse to nerd out and read up on medieval weaponry, historical figures and martial science...

-D

Thomma Lyn
10-21-2006, 05:35 AM
Novels (mainstream fiction / women's fiction)
Novella (romance)
Song lyrics
Poems
Short stories (three of 'em, anyway)

JDCrayne
10-21-2006, 08:14 AM
Fiction, plus occasional forwards, prefaces, and reviews.
I write mystery, horror, and science fiction in both short story and novel length.

Moonfish
10-23-2006, 03:12 PM
I write for a living as a journalist, mostly columns and features.
I've written quite a few essays for the radio.
I've published a piece of prose-poetry.
Apart from the above, almost everything I write seems to end up being for children or YA. I have no idea why. I have written a few short stories for adults too, but it's my writing for children I take seriously and pursue at this point. And within that genre it's mostly fantasy or magical realism.

Sesselja
10-23-2006, 03:44 PM
- I'm a journalist, so for my day-job I write magazine articles.
- I have sold short stories in the past, but I don't write them anymore.
- I write novels for my own pleasure and practice, hoping to become good enough to take it further.

- And of course, I wrote soppy and over-dramatic poetry as a teenager... ;)

stormie
10-23-2006, 04:56 PM
And of course, I wrote soppy and over-dramatic poetry as a teenager... ;)

LOL! Yes! Forgot about that. The notebook with the pages upon pages of angst in what I then called poetry from the heart.

CBeasy
10-25-2006, 03:10 AM
I'm an aspiring journalist, so I mostly write opinion pieces and articles. Being on this board, however, has inspired me and I'm starting to work on a short story (or maybe a novel if it seems to be going well). I don't know if I ever intend to get it published, it's mostly just for fun. I'll post it in SYW if it's good enough.

sammyig
10-25-2006, 08:28 PM
Types :

Poetry
Songs
Short stories
working on my first novel
plays
screenplays
non-fiction articles

Genres:
Fantasy
horror
romance
contemporary fiction

Cat Scratch
10-26-2006, 01:58 AM
I'm primarily a novelist and playwright. However, my novels are currently all unpublished, so it's almost funny that I see that as my main thing, though it is still my top goal.

Meanwhile, I've had a number of plays produced, but also unpublished.

I've been published in both non-fiction and short fiction, which is also strange because neither of those are my primary focus. However, they build the resume and bank account. Occasionally I also write technical manuals and web copy.

I used to write songs and poetry, but not since I was in college.

My plays are mainly dark comedy, but the novels run the gamut from thriller to literary fiction.

I suppose I've dabbled in a little of everything.

SeanDSchaffer
10-26-2006, 11:42 AM
I like to write different genres, as well as different formats. My favorite genres are Fantasy (my main genre), Erotica and Suspense. I would also like some time to try my hand at Historical Fiction.

The formats I enjoy writing in the most include Novels, Short Short Stories, and some short Poetry.

My problem has always been getting to where I can submit my other formats to companies. I'm afraid to try something new, which is partially why I don't write much in the Erotica or Suspense genres, with the exception of little vignettes or possibly several-page works. Also, I keep telling myself I would like to submit poetry, but I get disillusioned easily when it comes to formats and genres I am not used to doing.

One of these days, I would like to have something published of every kind of writing I enjoy. I don't know if this is a realistic goal or not. But at least I hope to develop a comfortable stance with doing new things, over time.

SeanDSchaffer
10-26-2006, 11:42 AM
I like to write different genres, as well as different formats. My favorite genres are Fantasy (my main genre), Erotica and Suspense. I would also like some time to try my hand at Historical Fiction.

The formats I enjoy writing in the most include Novels, Short Short Stories, and some short Poetry.

My problem has always been getting to where I can submit my other formats to companies. I'm afraid to try something new, which is partially why I don't write much in the Erotica or Suspense genres, with the exception of little vignettes or possibly several-page works. Also, I keep telling myself I would like to submit poetry, but I get disillusioned easily when it comes to formats and genres I am not used to doing.

One of these days, I would like to have something published of every kind of writing I enjoy. I don't know if this is a realistic goal or not. But at least I hope to develop a comfortable stance with doing new things, over time.