How many different types of writing do you do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

piscesgirl80

Friendly Neighborhood Fish
Registered
Reaction score
How many different types of writing do you do? Either completely different fields such as scriptwriting and poetry, or different genres, such as romances and thrillers?(Yes, I know there can be significant overlap between genres, but you know what I mean.:) ) And what type that you don't write, do you particularly admire?

Not that I'm any good at any of them, :tongue but I've tried my hand at greeting-card writing, personal essays, poetry and non-fiction articles. I really admire those of you who are writing/have written full-length books. I don't think I have the skill at this point to develop an idea over hundreds of pages.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a technical writer by profession, so I've been writing and editing technical documentation for about 8 years.

Even before the tech writing gig, I got a journalism diploma during which I did a 6-week placement at a daily newspaper. I wrote and published many journalistic articles, in several departments, during that time.

When I'm not writing for actual money, I write short stories and novels (working on my 2nd). The short stories are mostly literary, but I have a few that are crime/mystery (earlier this year I received 2nd place in a crime short fiction contest).

I've also written some personal narrative stories, which I have yet to publish. I write what I want to write, so, no there's nothing I wish I could write that I don't (apart from better, that just comes from practise and lots of hard work).

Last edited:

JustinThorne

www.justinthorne.com
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Well, I write for a living... but it tends to be communications in the form of adverts, brochures, Websites, and copy for editorials, press releases and the like. No wonder I like to get my teeth into some fiction!

My novels tend to be fantasy but I have written shorts in many different genres including fantasy, sci fi, mystery, horror and crime.

I would love to learn how to write movie scripts and I intend to research the discipline next year. I respect good script writers a great deal.

I have never been interested in poetry, reading it or writing it. I've always found this a bit odd as I am a songwriter, which is similar.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
I have MGD, or Multiple Genre Disorder. I write across the board. Short stories (romance, mild horror), essays (religious and mainstream), poetry (humorous for fillers, and also for greeting cards), two completed novels (one published for Young Adults, one that's for Middle Grade readers that's with an agent right now), let's see.... I think that pretty much covers what I've been doing for over six years!

Edited to add: I usually have three different writings going on at one time to avoid writer's block. Works for me!

Last edited:

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Types of writing I've been paid for:

Fiction
Poetry
Non-fiction
Articles
Radio Advertisements
Press Releases
Memoir
Spoken Word Essays recorded for Radio
Bios
Speeches
Humour Essays
Web Content

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
Short stories, game reviews, and novels. Short stories are whatever comes across my mind; so far it's been fantasy and science fiction. I don't write many of them. Game reviews are whatever I get paid to play and write about. In novels, I've written thrillers and fantasy. My latest may be YA thriller, but I'm not sure.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I write a weekly movie review newspaper column, and I have dabbled in web content. These I've been paid for.

I also write fiction: I have one mainstream short story in print in the Stories of Strength anthology.

I'm working on my third novel in a series that is sci fi with paranormal elements.

I've also written a pretty straightforward fantasy story that's finished at 50,000 words. I want to get it up to novel length.

I collaborated with two other writers on a political technothriller, mostly for fun. It too is not long enough to be a novel, but we have talked about whipping it into shape some day.

Most recently, I have begun outlining a mainstream novel, which I hope to get to during breaks in some of the other projects.

Tracy

Registered
Reaction score
I pretty much only write novels. I've written two short stories, but only 'cos I was asked to, for anthologies for charity.
I've done a bit of freelance journalism as well, but very little, and really only about stuff I'm interested in anyway.
So, no, I'm a novelist through and through, and remain faithful to that!

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Novels, both Science Fiction and Mainstream (stand alones and serials).
Poetry once in a great while
and I blog when the mood strikes :)

bookgeek

Vicarious is my middle name.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amywritesstuff.wordpress.com
I'm pretty much a short story writer. Novels are big windy things and just seem to be bad ideas all around for someone with ADD to attempt to conquer. One day I might...but only after my medication kicks in.

Sometimes I attempt poetry--it always turns out bad--but I'd rather read it than write it. How bizarre is that? (You can rate it on a scale of 1-10).

When I had a blog, I loved the format/idea of bloggy-type writing. Does that make me a personal essayist? If so, then put me down for that one, too.

I wish they didn't have genres because I think it just separates neighbors, but if I had to classify my short stories, I'd say: literary-ish/mainstream-ish. I'm wishy-washy-ish like that. :)

(Edited: for bad, wishy-washy-ish/ADD grammar skills).

Last edited:

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
Short stories - primarily mystery & science fiction
But also - romance (shorts & novel) adventure (novels) poetry and non-fiction articles

AdamH

Pumped Up Kicks
Registered
Reaction score
I've written short stories (one of which was published in Stories of Strength), a online column about an up and coming writer (the website now is defunct :cry:), a few novels mostly in a action/thriller/philosophical genre (the most recent one is the first one I'm serious about publishing), and I'm the editor-in-chief and writer for my company's work newsletter.

Other stuff I've dabbled in: poetry (I've had a few published when I was younger), a kid's story, a few comedy sketches, and currently am producing a short script to film for a film festival.

All this and I can cook too!!!! :D

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
I've written three novels so far, one mainstream/lit and the other two urban fantasy. I'm nearing the finish line on a fourth urban fantasy novel.

I've also written three screenplays: one buddy western, one family drama (think Lifetime MotW), and a mystery/drama.

Tiger

AKA: "Gums of Steel"
Registered
Reaction score
I write mostly marketing and sales correspondence and copy. I only started interviewing and doing expository stuff when faced with an emergency (AKA, a deadline).

Maybe we'll need a fiction writer next?

-D

Oddsocks

Registered
Reaction score
Currently, only fantasy (first WIP), and I intend to try some sci-fi at some point.

scottVee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
scott.virtes.com
Hi. I think that experimenting is essential. If I did one thing all day I'd go insane. I've had fiction, poetry, articles and artwork published; and short films produced. Sci-fi, fantasy, slipstream, comedy, crime noir, horror, prose poems, free verse, haiku, even some limericks recently. I try to have a good grasp of each genre and style, and the key writers in each field, so of course I read a wild combination of things, too.

That's entertainment. ;-)

Nakhlasmoke

yes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cathellisen.com
Mostly fantasy novels, although one of my shorts got called magical realism (I wish!).

I'm not really comfortable writing in short story format, so I don't have too many of them.

And I write the occasional dreadfully angsty poem.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
I write in the following:

Formats:

short stories
screenplays long and short
novels
press releases

Genres:

Fantasy
Suspense
Thriller
Political Thriller
Horror
Mystery
Science fiction
Romance (On occasion when it won't leave me alone but someone always has to die.)
Romantic Comedy
Comedy
Children's
Young Adult

I think that's all of them.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I write primarily fantasy, but that's a pretty broad category in and of itself, because I write alternative history (no magic, elves, whatnot), urban fantasy, high fantasy, and space opera. I have tried my hand at what would be called small-press literary, but it's come off badly. And I have tried poetry, but it comes off even worse (which is why no one here will ever see it).

I've had an idea for a real historical novel based on Ancient Rome. But all I've done so far is some research and no writing.

yanallefish

Registered
Reaction score
Website
howewriter2000.4t.com
uhhhh...

GENRES

Fantasy: sword & sorcery, high fantasy without knights and fighting in it, urban fantasy

Science fiction: a lot of biological (ok, I'm obsessed with bacteria), some aliens, mysterysf, sociological (I was a soc major in college)

Speculative
Horror (not the blood and gore type)

KINDS

story, poetry, novella, serials, novel (small)

SJAB

Being edited for submission
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susanjboulton.com
Types;

Short Stories.

Flash Fiction.

Novels.

Genre;

Fantasy with a small "f" for the most part. No Elves Dragons or Wizards, well, only in one story, but that was a pastiche.

I have dabbled with horror, erotica, historical fiction.

Mainly my stories go where they think they should.

Sold one short story, horror, yet to be published.

One flash fiction, a what if story, or as the review on Horrorscope called it " a well-constructed meditation on beauty and survival in a post-apocalyptic world. "

Last edited:

Live2Write

Ink in Veins
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jaimeaheidel.com
  • Poetry
  • Song-Lyrics
  • Novels
  • Short Stories
  • Journals
  • Blogs
  • Screen-plays (as soon as I learn how)
I do a bit of non fiction but...only when I'm feeling really deep and philisophical. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.