Not open for further replies.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
I heard a song last week that sucks even more than the Nickelback songs I hate. It's "Lips of an Angel." Gahhh!! The whole I'm-a-rocker-singing-with-a-strangled-voice-because-I'm-so-sensitive thing has got to go. At least the 80s power ballad guys knew they were being cheesy (I hope).

bookgeek

Vicarious is my middle name.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amywritesstuff.wordpress.com
Any song by Panic! At The Disco. Starting a song with the words, "Haven't you people ever heard of locking the d*mn door?" automatically gets a sucky rating with me.

Gasp!! Those 80's power ballad guys knew they were being cheesy?!? Crap. There goes my entire high school anthem (18 and Life by Skid Row) (if anyone was wondering). I mean, I took that song serious because, well, so did they. Dang it, Meow Girl! :cry: ;)

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Any modern ****ing rock band, whiney punk band needs to die. Seriously. How are you punk if you've spent something like six hours getting your hair into that stupid style? You want punk, go look at Iggy Pop, not some whiney little band like Hawthorne Heights.

whine-punk bands are the current version of Boy Bands back in the '90s. It started with Hoobastank (someone may shoot them as well) and it's gotten horrible.

My wife likes Hinder (Lips of an Angel) a great deal. They're not as bad as some, they're just very safely generic.They really loved the eighties bands.

The problem is, *I* really loved the eighties bands too. If I want to hear that, I'll go dig out my Twisted Sisters CDs. They still make me happy.

....oh, and modern rap. It's almost cartoonish at this point.

jbal

Registered
Reaction score
I am ready to break the f***in' radio if I hear another song with the wrods "save me" in it. Whatever happened to rockers having a pair? now they all want to talk about their feelings. I quit listening to the radio years ago, it got too DR. Phil for me.

and Pete:there is some good rap out there, you just have to look hard. Like in any genre, the radio nonsense is largely no good. I have a cd I'll send you if you're interested.

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
jbal said:
I am ready to break the f***in' radio if I hear another song with the wrods "save me" in it. Whatever happened to rockers having a pair? now they all want to talk about their feelings. I quit listening to the radio years ago, it got too DR. Phil for me.

and Pete:there is some good rap out there, you just have to look hard. Like in any genre, the radio nonsense is largely no good. I have a cd I'll send you if you're interested.

I would be interested, actually, yeah. Rap just isn't my genre, so I'm aware that what I'm hearing is just the gunk that's congealing on the surface. Actually, it's fascinating to watch popular-rap videos, because each rapper has the same fifteen gestures for everything. You can make a drinking song out of it.

And I know about the rockers. Damn it! Instead of "Save me," what happened to songs like "Girls, Girls, Girls," or "Cum on Feel tha Noize"

*sigh*

Of course, we're just talking about popular music and radio-music. I can still point you to some fantastic rock and metal and punk (go listen to Voodoo Glow Skulls, you won't regret it) an I bet you could send me some rap I would actually listen to, jbal. It's just the surface stuff that sucks.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
PeeDee said:
And I know about the rockers. Damn it! Instead of "Save me," what happened to songs like "Girls, Girls, Girls," or "Cum on Feel tha Noize"

Heck, even Duran Duran had balls in their song lyrics, and they wore lipstick and eyeliner.

Oh wait, most 80s bands did....

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Perfect by Simple Plan. Grow up, you whiny little whiner.

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
I'm going to beat these bands up. The fact that I COULD beat these bands up tells you something.

No way I could beat the Ramones down, or Iggy Pop, or Twisted Sister. Dee Snider could kill me.

Me and Kerry King, we're going to go hurt some whiner-punk bands. :D

jbal

Registered
Reaction score
Ok, you already covered Nickelback. My wife and I had a game:
so and so, or Creed. The idea being to try and find anything where you would choose Creed. Now it's Nickelback.

My least favorite now, I don't know the title or artist
"No one ever tells you that forever feels like home, sitting all alone inside your head..."
RRRRRRRrrrrrrr....

Scarlett_156

asdf
Registered
Reaction score
My pet hates as far as music goes are many, but on the other hand I can always think of at least one song by any artist that I DON'T have a problem with. Even Paul Anka has written a song or two that doesn't make me want to chunder, I swear!-- even FAITH HILL for God's sake. I admit I even kinda like one or two of Faith's songs. Srsly.

Except for Queensryche (or however you spell it). I've been flamed for posting about my hatred for this band on forums before, but you know what? The world needs to be reminded of just how GODAWFUL everything they have ever released (or not released and just written down, including notes scribbled on scraps of wrapping paper) is.

I refuse to post any examples of their crappy, crappy lyrics.

I stopped speaking to a guy once who I was interested in because he mentioned that he thought my dislike for this terrible band was somewhat over the top. That's worse than trying to show me your nads on cam, in my book. I can forgive someone once for that, but-- liking Queensryche?? Hit the bricks, buddy-- you're outta here.

allion

Character assassin
Registered
Reaction score
Anything by Jessica Simpson, Hilary Duff, or any other singer out there with a voice that bears resemblance to a buzz saw in my brain. CRAP.

Give me an 80s power ballad any day over that treacle.

I hate radio now unless I can find the "oldies 80s station." (wha?)

Karen

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
What scares me are when bands that came out in 2000 or so start releasing greatest hits albums. It's an "oh...crap." moment.

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Yup. And both of them are actually Limp Bizkit, with their names legally changed.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
PeeDee said:
No way I could beat the Ramones down, or Iggy Pop, or Twisted Sister. Dee Snider could kill me.
PeeDee, on the basis of this post, I would give Twisted Sister another chance.

I would've loved to see any and all of these bands on Celebrity Deathmatch.

Musical Overlord said:
Yup. And both of them are actually Limp Bizkit, with their names legally changed.
He is The Prophet!

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Twisted Sister makes me happy. Especially after watching Dee Snider go toe to toe with Al Gore and the others. That made me happy too.

I never quite evolved past the eighties. One of these days, I'm going to realize that all my favorite bands cut their hair really short and after 1993, they started putting out bad CDs, and I'm going to break down in tears.

Carrie in PA

Write All The Words!
Registered
Reaction score
PeeDee said:
Twisted Sister makes me happy. Especially after watching Dee Snider go toe to toe with Al Gore and the others. That made me happy too.

I never quite evolved past the eighties. One of these days, I'm going to realize that all my favorite bands cut their hair really short and after 1993, they started putting out bad CDs, and I'm going to break down in tears.

My disillusionment came during one of VH1's "Where Are They Now" - Vince Neil. He still had long hair, and was still wearing spandex, but it was about 55 sizes too small - time was unkind to Vince.

So now I avoid VH1 completely.

I am still in my flashback phase... I downloaded a crapload of Poison, Ratt, and yes, even some Motley Crue, although I have to force back the bile when remembering that special. *shudder*

Alan Yee

Still Here!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, every time this subject comes up (which has happened at least twice already), I just have to mention Gwen Stefani's Hollaback Girl. The people I know almost universally make fun of it.

The chorus is built around "this my sh!t, this my sh!t," Gwen Stefani tries to act tough, and then there's the part about "Let me hear you say this sh!t is bananas, B-A-N-A-N-A-S."

Some of her other songs have... strange lines as well. Of course, while What You Waiting For? was a good song, the line "Take a chance you stupid ho" that was built into it was kind of weird. "Rich Girl" took "If I Was A Rich Man," changed "man" to "girl" and added a bunch of "na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na"s. Her CD was kind of scary, because she kept talking about Harajuku girls in more than one song (the song for that is kind of creepy).

Then of course, in "Hey Baby," she made "chamomile" rhyme with "sex appeal." (I'm just sipping on chamomile, watching boys and girls in the sex appeal)

So yeah. While her songs are entertaining, she adds weird things into them. Heh.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
(response to PeeDee's post)

Oo, I never saw that! That makes me like him even more. Was that part of the PMRC debacle?

I just read that Gary Numan was putting out a new album. I liked his stuff, but I think we may just have seen enough of it.

louisgodwin

Back from the dead
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
jbal said:
My least favorite now, I don't know the title or artist
"No one ever tells you that forever feels like home, sitting all alone inside your head..."
RRRRRRRrrrrrrr....

The song is called Through Glass by Stonesour. And that's actually not their worst song. You should try listening to Bother and see how suicidal you feel afterwards. I heard one DJ play that song and then immediately followed it with the sound effect of a shotgun being pumped, and then... BLAM!!!

Worst songs of all time according to Louis......

"Achey Breakey Heart" by Billy Ray Cyrus

"My Maria" by Brooks & Dunn. (This is that song that goes, My Mareeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee-uh. Oh, my Mar-ee-ee-uh.)

"Macarena" by ummmm, I don't know and don't care.

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
poetinahat said:
(response to PeeDee's post)

Oo, I never saw that! That makes me like him even more. Was that part of the PMRC debacle?

Yup. He was called to testify for his lyrics at the hearing. I bet you can find video for it online. He came in with frizzy hair, wearing ripped up denim and took a long time unfolding this crumpled up piece of lined paper to read his statement to these suited dweebs...

...and then proceeded to read a very lucid, literate, well-spoken and very well done speech, followed by him being generally all of those things whenever anyone asked him a question. It was magnificant, a piece of theater work.

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
louisgodwin said:
"My Maria" by Brooks & Dunn. (This is that song that goes, My Mareeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee-uh. Oh, my Mar-ee-ee-uh.)

My in-laws, more or less real gosh-durn tell-you-whut cowboys (except me mam-in-law's from Italy, but she's got hick down to an art now) love that song. I think that it probably irritates dogs from a mile away.

But I say that about so many country songs.... :D

ETA: My mother-in-law's first name is Maria. Did I mention that?

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
PeeDee said:
I never quite evolved past the eighties.

There's no need to. Everything afterwards is just varying degrees of dog poop.

Status
Not open for further replies.