Status
Not open for further replies.

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
Are they real? I used to think they were just a wacky Hollywood invention or something, but reading through the Is This Fashion? thread, I can't help but wonder, are high school cliches real? As in, cheerleaders and football players that make life impossible to those who are not cool and have seriously close-knit groups that are almost impossible to get into? As in, fat kids getting picked on by the others? As in misfits getting picked on too?

Is all that REAL?

SC Harrison

Dances With Hamsters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Cliches are derived from frequent usage, much as a stereotype is developed. Unfortunately, the jock vs geek scenario has played out millions of times in American high schools, running a close second to the pretty girl vs fat girl contest.

For those kids who are on the wrong end of that deal right now, I wish I could take you on a trip through time to your ten-year high school reunion. I guarantee you would feel much better. :)

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I assume you mean cliques. If so, they have always been very important in high school pecking-order determination, just as they have in all other sub-human societies. I don't use smilies.

Last edited:

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Absolutely real, Dama.

One of the many things I loved about our kids' high school is that the social order's hierarchy was different than other schools'. Yes, nerdy kids, social misfits, and fat kids were still picked on--but the brainy kids were sometimes also the cool kids, and the athletes and cheerleaders did not reign supreme, and nobody was mocked for being smart.

Before our kids were old enough to attend, the high school had no football team one year. They couldn't get enough boys to try out to field a team, even though the school is more than big enough. That pleased me no end.

Maryn, who did indeed move here for the school district

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I was like Clark Kent in school. A jock by day, and a nerd by night. I was friends with everyone, and I got to see how different groups interact with each other. It was very interesting. The problem was when they got into conflicts, I didn't know whose side I should be on...

Last edited:

TwentyFour

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I know in high school, football players disliked the cheerleaders...go figure...

The jocks were nicer than most...even going as far as dating girls who did not get the best grades or the become prom queen.

The geeks/nerds/losers were nowhere to be found...they didn't exist...they were either smart and pretty/handsome or smart/average or smart/dog ugly...everyone was judged by their individual looks or smarts.

The best to my rememberence...the inner self judged far worse than the high school friends or enemies.

My school was very large, we had around five areas of the county all enlisted to one school...for the country that is big, city it may just look like one block. Well the only problem in that was there was no way of dating anyone from another school! I missed out on saying the rival school down in the other part of the county had cuter guys or preppy girls...we missed out and found that we were all thrown in the pot together...I do remember also that you had to be cool if you got a locker on the forth floor...lol. I'm engaged to a forth floor guy...as I recall he was a freshman and in band. I still call him a band geek.

I was not a geek, not smart enough, and no barbie girl...I was average and yet people knew me. I worked on the lit. magazine and was into the artsy scene. It depended on what you did in a week to get your name mentioned.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, cliques do exist and they are toxic. I had a hellish high school life and can only hope my kids fare better than I did. What a wasted learning opportunity it all was. I lived in fear. I'm still intimidated by teenage girls (okay, they scare the hell out of me).

I was brainy, introverted, almost 6 feet tall and shockingly thin. All bad combos for trying to fit in. Plus my high school was cesspool of cliques. I was a fringe-dweller. We all survive, for better or worse.

To all you teens: don't let anyone tell you these are the best years of your life. They're not.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
TeddyG said:
shucks I thought this thread was titled..."High School Cheerleaders!" :D
now there is a cliche for you...
Aren't you supposed to stay away from High Schools? :roll:

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Only since the restraining order :D

Carrie in PA

Write All The Words!
Registered
Reaction score
I_Shrugged said:
If you decide to go to your 10 year reunion, save the money and take yourself out to dinner instead. It really wasn't worth it. I'll be skipping any future reunions. (Not they could find me to send me an invite anyway. I dropped off the radar.)

I haven't gone to a reunion yet. A friend of mine filled me in on all of them right afterwards... and I can't forsee coughing up big bucks to go hang out with people I really don't want to see. I live in the same town I grew up in, so I run into these people occasionally for free. *shudder* No thanks to paying to see them. I'd rather spend my money on enemas or shoes.

jbal

Registered
Reaction score
I would never, ever go to a reunion.
In high school I hated everyone. Seriously. I thought they were all complete losers who would never amount to anything. And to the degree that I kept up with them, I was right. Not one single person I went to high school with went to college, held a job. They all still live with their parents playing XBox or whatever, and probably jacking off a lot.
I started dating my wife in high school though (11 years ago, wow.)

ETA: oh, and Dama, they are very real.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I went to a sorta reunion in 2004 and it was a lot of fun. We were much older now, but we acted just like when we were teenagers. It's just weird. I hadn't seen them for a long time, and they still remembered me, but I was so embarrassed because I didn't remember some of their names (I remembered their faces, though).

I went to my college reunion and that was pretty sad. All the hot girls were now married with children. Not only that, it made me feel old.

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
I was a geek, plain and simple in high school. I had already been writing for a number of years, I was getting good at it, that's mostly what I did.

I suppose there were probably cliques but I never noticed them. I had friends all across the board from all of the different cliques. None of my friends got along with each other (at first; as the years went by, they did)

High School's full of cliches because it's also full of more or less the same group of raging hormonal angst-ridden bunch of morons for four years at a time. Mostly, what it produces is bad poetry. *shudddddder*

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Carrie in PA said:
Ain't THAT the truth!!!!!! LOL!!

I am SO sick of idiot teenagers (no offense meant to the intelligent teens we have around here) who send you some message like:

(hey wazzup i wrote poetry in skool here ya go!

sad so sad
i want to die
i eat cheesy whizz
for days

my dad dont know me
my mom is cool tho
and u are pretty 2 me)

**** like that. I wind up wanting to do serious bodily harm to someone, which I'm not allowed to do.

I first experimented with poetry, myself, in high school. Not because I was aware everyone did that, just because I flexed that particular muscle. I think the fact that every single angst-ridden idiot around me was writing bad poetry was the reason why I didn't pursue it, why I don't particularly write poetry today.

There should be a law...

Status
Not open for further replies.