PDA

View Full Version : High School Cliches?

DamaNegra
10-16-2006, 04:37 PM
Are they real? I used to think they were just a wacky Hollywood invention or something, but reading through the Is This Fashion? thread, I can't help but wonder, are high school cliches real? As in, cheerleaders and football players that make life impossible to those who are not cool and have seriously close-knit groups that are almost impossible to get into? As in, fat kids getting picked on by the others? As in misfits getting picked on too?

Is all that REAL?

Carrie in PA
10-16-2006, 05:06 PM
Is all that REAL?

Yes.

SC Harrison
10-16-2006, 05:07 PM
Cliches are derived from frequent usage, much as a stereotype is developed. Unfortunately, the jock vs geek scenario has played out millions of times in American high schools, running a close second to the pretty girl vs fat girl contest.

For those kids who are on the wrong end of that deal right now, I wish I could take you on a trip through time to your ten-year high school reunion. I guarantee you would feel much better. :)

NeuroFizz
10-16-2006, 05:14 PM
I assume you mean cliques. If so, they have always been very important in high school pecking-order determination, just as they have in all other sub-human societies. I don't use smilies.

Maryn
10-16-2006, 05:18 PM
Absolutely real, Dama.

One of the many things I loved about our kids' high school is that the social order's hierarchy was different than other schools'. Yes, nerdy kids, social misfits, and fat kids were still picked on--but the brainy kids were sometimes also the cool kids, and the athletes and cheerleaders did not reign supreme, and nobody was mocked for being smart.

Before our kids were old enough to attend, the high school had no football team one year. They couldn't get enough boys to try out to field a team, even though the school is more than big enough. That pleased me no end.

Maryn, who did indeed move here for the school district

maestrowork
10-16-2006, 05:33 PM
I was like Clark Kent in school. A jock by day, and a nerd by night. I was friends with everyone, and I got to see how different groups interact with each other. It was very interesting. The problem was when they got into conflicts, I didn't know whose side I should be on...

TwentyFour
10-16-2006, 05:53 PM
I know in high school, football players disliked the cheerleaders...go figure...

The jocks were nicer than most...even going as far as dating girls who did not get the best grades or the become prom queen.

The geeks/nerds/losers were nowhere to be found...they didn't exist...they were either smart and pretty/handsome or smart/average or smart/dog ugly...everyone was judged by their individual looks or smarts.

The best to my rememberence...the inner self judged far worse than the high school friends or enemies.

My school was very large, we had around five areas of the county all enlisted to one school...for the country that is big, city it may just look like one block. Well the only problem in that was there was no way of dating anyone from another school! I missed out on saying the rival school down in the other part of the county had cuter guys or preppy girls...we missed out and found that we were all thrown in the pot together...I do remember also that you had to be cool if you got a locker on the forth floor...lol. I'm engaged to a forth floor guy...as I recall he was a freshman and in band. I still call him a band geek.

I was not a geek, not smart enough, and no barbie girl...I was average and yet people knew me. I worked on the lit. magazine and was into the artsy scene. It depended on what you did in a week to get your name mentioned.

maestrowork
10-16-2006, 06:35 PM
thought I was a snob and a slut,

So, were you? ;)

:D

CaroGirl
10-16-2006, 06:59 PM
Yes, cliques do exist and they are toxic. I had a hellish high school life and can only hope my kids fare better than I did. What a wasted learning opportunity it all was. I lived in fear. I'm still intimidated by teenage girls (okay, they scare the hell out of me).

I was brainy, introverted, almost 6 feet tall and shockingly thin. All bad combos for trying to fit in. Plus my high school was cesspool of cliques. I was a fringe-dweller. We all survive, for better or worse.

To all you teens: don't let anyone tell you these are the best years of your life. They're not.

stormie
10-16-2006, 07:07 PM
SC Harrison is right. If a teen could fast-forward to the ten-year reunion, they'd feel better.

(Actually, though, I did have a good high school experience.)

TeddyG
10-16-2006, 07:11 PM
shucks I thought this thread was titled..."High School Cheerleaders!" :D
now there is a cliche for you...

SpookyWriter
10-16-2006, 07:16 PM
shucks I thought this thread was titled..."High School Cheerleaders!" :D
now there is a cliche for you...Aren't you supposed to stay away from High Schools? :roll:

aadams73
10-16-2006, 07:18 PM
Only since the restraining order :D

TeddyG
10-16-2006, 07:19 PM
Only since the restraining order :D

Trust me here, darling..you are so gonna pay for that comment...
Just you wait :D

aadams73
10-16-2006, 07:22 PM
:roll:

I'd expect nothing less!

Carrie in PA
10-16-2006, 07:39 PM
If you decide to go to your 10 year reunion, save the money and take yourself out to dinner instead. It really wasn't worth it. I'll be skipping any future reunions. (Not they could find me to send me an invite anyway. I dropped off the radar.)

I haven't gone to a reunion yet. A friend of mine filled me in on all of them right afterwards... and I can't forsee coughing up big bucks to go hang out with people I really don't want to see. I live in the same town I grew up in, so I run into these people occasionally for free. *shudder* No thanks to paying to see them. I'd rather spend my money on enemas or shoes.

Christine N.
10-16-2006, 07:43 PM
Go rent "The Breakfast Club"

Great movie.

jbal
10-16-2006, 07:47 PM
I would never, ever go to a reunion.
In high school I hated everyone. Seriously. I thought they were all complete losers who would never amount to anything. And to the degree that I kept up with them, I was right. Not one single person I went to high school with went to college, held a job. They all still live with their parents playing XBox or whatever, and probably jacking off a lot.
I started dating my wife in high school though (11 years ago, wow.)

ETA: oh, and Dama, they are very real.

writerterri
10-16-2006, 07:57 PM
It's the same at every school and in every society.

maestrowork
10-16-2006, 08:07 PM
I went to a sorta reunion in 2004 and it was a lot of fun. We were much older now, but we acted just like when we were teenagers. It's just weird. I hadn't seen them for a long time, and they still remembered me, but I was so embarrassed because I didn't remember some of their names (I remembered their faces, though).

I went to my college reunion and that was pretty sad. All the hot girls were now married with children. Not only that, it made me feel old.

PeeDee
10-16-2006, 08:12 PM
I was a geek, plain and simple in high school. I had already been writing for a number of years, I was getting good at it, that's mostly what I did.

I suppose there were probably cliques but I never noticed them. I had friends all across the board from all of the different cliques. None of my friends got along with each other (at first; as the years went by, they did)

High School's full of cliches because it's also full of more or less the same group of raging hormonal angst-ridden bunch of morons for four years at a time. Mostly, what it produces is bad poetry. *shudddddder*

Carrie in PA
10-16-2006, 08:16 PM
Mostly, what it produces is bad poetry. *shudddddder*

Ain't THAT the truth!!!!!! LOL!!

Bubastes
10-16-2006, 08:18 PM

Yes! LOL!

Have any of you seen or heard of Mortified?

http://www.getmortified.com/index.html

I heard a clip on NPR and couldn't stop laughing!

PeeDee
10-16-2006, 08:19 PM

I am SO sick of idiot teenagers (no offense meant to the intelligent teens we have around here) who send you some message like:

(hey wazzup i wrote poetry in skool here ya go!

sad so sad
i want to die
i eat cheesy whizz
for days

my dad dont know me
my mom is cool tho
and u are pretty 2 me)

**** like that. I wind up wanting to do serious bodily harm to someone, which I'm not allowed to do.

I first experimented with poetry, myself, in high school. Not because I was aware everyone did that, just because I flexed that particular muscle. I think the fact that every single angst-ridden idiot around me was writing bad poetry was the reason why I didn't pursue it, why I don't particularly write poetry today.

There should be a law...

PeeDee
10-16-2006, 08:20 PM
Yes! LOL!

Have any of you seen or heard of Mortified?

http://www.getmortified.com/index.html

I heard a clip on NPR and couldn't stop laughing!

I really want to see it. I've heard about it.

September skies
10-16-2006, 08:22 PM
dama, you aren't from around here, are you?

Of course they exist. I was happy being somewhere in the middle. I was involved in a lot of stuff (I guess I was a band geek) but had friends at both ends (cheerleaders and the crowd that hung out across the street, getting high - not that I ever really joined either of those two groups for anything.)

As to high school reunions - I love them and can't wait for the next one. sort of. My close school friends rarely show up, but I've since become closer with all the others. The cliches kind of disappear a little. And this last reunion (www.classof76.us), my 30th (yes, I'm in my 40s) was probably the best ever! I think the more you go to, the more you look forward to them. I've been on every reunion committee, every five years, and have seen those walls coming down around everyone. This past August, we had one guy that had never come to one - thinking he would hate it since he never fit in during high school. We hooked up on our class website, so he felt he knew a few people before getting there. He ended up loving it. If you have not gone to one, go. But it helps to email back and forth a few times prior with anyone, that way you don't feel totally lost.

TeddyG
10-16-2006, 08:28 PM
okay..page 2 of pics top left side..
who is the redhead???????????????????????????????????

i think i found you..though I cant be sure SS...
heheheheheh

Carrie in PA
10-16-2006, 08:29 PM
sad so sad
i want to die
i eat cheesy whizz
for days

Dear God, I thought I had BURNED that!!!! :roll: :roll:

No, mine was more like:

Falling, falling
into the black abyss
leaving behind the hell
that is my life
fall, fall,
die, die, die

PeeDee
10-16-2006, 08:32 PM
EVERYONE'S was like that. It made me so depressed.

I was writing poetry about pirates and zombies and schitzophrenics ("People often ask me/I talk to me, myself, and I/and I tell them it's because/No one else ever does")

I don't have a high opinion of high schoolers.... :)

Bubastes
10-16-2006, 08:33 PM

No, mine was more like:

Falling, falling
into the black abyss
leaving behind the hell
that is my life
fall, fall,
die, die, die

:ROFL:

Damn, I'm glad I burned my diaries and notebooks when I was 20. I can only imagine the crap I wrote back then!

Carrie in PA
10-16-2006, 08:35 PM
EVERYONE'S was like that. It made me so depressed.

Was that not the point?? To depress everyone so the world is filled with nothing but heavy black eyeliner and gloomy expressions? Except for the occasional cool necking sessions in the dark corner of the roller rink. How come they never made it into poetry????

PeeDee
10-16-2006, 08:39 PM
Was that not the point?? To depress everyone so the world is filled with nothing but heavy black eyeliner and gloomy expressions? Except for the occasional cool necking sessions in the dark corner of the roller rink. How come they never made it into poetry????

By "depressed," I meant "disgusted," by which I mean "did not talk to anyone I knew about poetry for fear they would actually talk about it, went back to writing 6,000 words a day, every day, ignored the rest of them."

I never got the hang of the angst-depression-high-school-thing. Oh well. :)

Carrie in PA
10-16-2006, 08:41 PM
By "depressed," I meant "disgusted," by which I mean "did not talk to anyone I knew about poetry for fear they would actually talk about it, went back to writing 6,000 words a day, every day, ignored the rest of them."

I never got the hang of the angst-depression-high-school-thing. Oh well. :)

Ah. So you were the social butterfly. :D

Halleluia those days are gone forever!

September skies
10-16-2006, 08:43 PM
okay..page 2 of pics top left side..
who is the redhead???????????????????????????????????

i think i found you..though I cant be sure SS...
heheheheheh

that's esmeralda guillen.
can't find me anywhere there, I made the website so I kept myself out.
well, there's a pic of me on the band page.

Carole
10-16-2006, 08:48 PM
Regarding high school reunions, GO. For the love of all things mean-spirited and fun, GO.

When I was in high school, I was seen by OUTSIDERS as a pretty, smart, talented girl. Within my school I was a total dork. Once a group of girls even threw rocks at my mother and me when we were just walking down the street. Another time, they circled me while one little bad-a$$ chick blacked my eye. My dad went to her house to speak with her mother and she just said, "Yeah. They're kids. Kids do that." Dad was appalled. I seemed to be a magnet for bullies back then. Yet another time when I was a senior, this chick decided she was just going to be pissed at me. Never really figured out why. She'd bump into me in the hall, knock my books off my desk and all that stuff. Finally I had my fill and I said something to her. I can't even remember what it was. I turned and walked down the hall and she literally jumped onto my back. It knocked me out when I hit the floor and she also scraped the flesh off my cheek with her nails. That left a chevron shaped scar I still carry to this day from just under my right cheekbone to my mouth.

Now let's fast-forward to my 15 year high school reunion. I didn't go, but I WAS in town visiting family. A couple of ex-cheerleaders never left that town and are now QUITE ROTUND. Most of my tormenters became housewives and had numerous kids. Nothing wrong with that, but they all aged terribly and were very dowdy. The chick who blacked my eye has something like 4 or 5 kids, all with different fathers, and still lives with her parents. I've never heard anything about the chick who scarred my face, though. Who knows where she is.

On the OTHER hand...

My little group of friends from high school had blossomed. One girl who was picked on because she had a rather large schnoz and thick glasses had a nose-job, got contacts and is absolutely gorgeous. A frail little girl who was always timid and picked on just blew everyone away with not only her beauty but also her success with family and career.

On and on, I saw it everywhere. It's like the popular kids in high school PEAKED in high school. Kinda sad when you consider that there's an awful lot of life after high school.

SpookyWriter
10-16-2006, 08:50 PM
I never finished high school so my clique was a bunch of rowdy women in Mexico. Used to run across the border at sixteen to a place called Boys Town. Now back then you'd get all the education needed from a three day binge of party girls and booze.

Wait, nothing really changes...

September skies
10-16-2006, 08:59 PM
Regarding high school reunions, GO. For the love of all things mean-spirited and fun, GO.

...It's like the popular kids in high school PEAKED in high school. Kinda sad when you consider that there's an awful lot of life after high school.

oh my. I never had it like that. I was mainly ignored, never even had a date in high school. But I didn't care. Too busy - involved in many clubs and band.

You're right though. Many of those kids peaked in high school - then it was all downhill for them from there. Ok, maybe not - but in some aspects, yes. I've seen it too.

You and I were just late bloomers. Nice thing about it, we're still blooming. Late bloomers never stop. It makes us special and more aware of everything.

I hated Valentines day as a kid - I was so skinny. I always knew I'd get all the skeletons and "I feel it in my bones" -- same with Halloween decs - "Is that you on there?" Kids can be so mean. (once in Jr. high when I was looking for a job, other kids told me I should be an Ethiopian model - you know, one of the starving children you used to see frequently on ad magazines.)

PeeDee
10-16-2006, 09:00 PM
I never finished high school so my clique was a bunch of rowdy women in Mexico. Used to run across the border at sixteen to a place called Boys Town. Now back then you'd get all the education needed from a three day binge of party girls and booze.

Wait, nothing really changes...

:eek:

We understand you now, Spooky.

SpookyWriter
10-16-2006, 09:06 PM
:eek:

We understand you now, Spooky.I skipped hs and went straight into the real world. Hey, after six years of fun and travel, College was a big let down. But I managed to muddle through and got my BSCIS degree. Hahahahahaaa!

cree
10-16-2006, 09:09 PM
Being like 20 years out of high school, I always got a kick out of the following:

When IN high school, people console you by saying the cheerleader pretty girl types would peak in a few years and end up ugly broads in elastic waist pants with bratty kids and a butt-scratching ex-jock hubby. The nerdy kids would end up at ivy league schools and become neurosurgeons. The shy awkward girls in glasses would end up looking like models....

Interestingly, the cliches did turn out that way for my high school.

There is an element of satisfaction in that. :)

Maryn
10-16-2006, 10:28 PM
I went to my 20th reunion, nearly 2000 miles from where I was living at the time. It was weird. Like others have observed, many of the most popular, cool kids peaked then and are now unattractive, underemployed, and sometimes unhappy.

Not all, though. Other cool kids are now attractive, successful adults, which I found quite intimidating. That's what was so weird. I was long-married, happy to have chosen the stay-home-mom role after working for some time, just starting to write seriously, and essentially satisfied with who I was, and wham, I'm restored to my high school social status as an invisible non-entity. The only part I liked about that group was that virtually all of them, while good looking and making good money, had been divorced. All of them!

Many of the brainy nerds are now the most successful, some financially and most personally, with happy relationships and work they truly enjoy. The meek and mousy are happy at last. Good for them.

Maryn, with a sudden urge to watch Peggy Sue Got Married

Carole
10-16-2006, 11:03 PM
...the cheerleader pretty girl types would peak in a few years and end up ugly broads in elastic waist pants with bratty kids and a butt-scratching ex-jock hubby.

LMAO!! There's one of those in my graduating class! She was not only a cheerleader, but also homecoming queen or attendant or something like that.

I remember rolling my eyes at the "speech" she wrote for the yearbook. I wish I had that old book now because it was a prime "ditz-brain trying to sound intellectual and failing miserably" example. Funny thing is that her mom was an English teacher!!!

Well, she married this guy - I believe he was the captain of the basketball team. Now she is a not-so-pretty broad in elastic waist pants, bratty kids and a butt-scratching ex-jock husband who became a local cop after high school. Ahhhh memories.

Bubastes
10-16-2006, 11:13 PM
Ah, yes, the 10-year reunion. Many of my classmates fell into the same "glory days" issues. However, there were some popular boys that kept their looks and had good jobs and pretty wives. The beauty queen in my class also did well. Last I heard, she was an ob-gyn specializing in fertility treatments. Yes, it would have been easy to hate her except she was a nice person too.

maestrowork
10-16-2006, 11:19 PM

No, mine was more like:

Falling, falling
into the black abyss
leaving behind the hell
that is my life
fall, fall,
die, die, die

OMG, that sounds so familiar. LOL. I wrote a bit of poetry in high school, things like:

I woke up at night
soaking wet with nightmare
shaken in my anguish
because I am frightened
of death

So what is it about high school kids and angst? LOL

College was a bit better, because I decided I wasn't going to be a poet no more. Same a lot of people, including myself, grief.

maestrowork
10-16-2006, 11:23 PM
the best people--the people I really wanted to see again--didn't show up. Smart people.

That's the truth. So many people I wanted to see. Except Sheri -- she was still gorgeous but now a mother of three. Her husband acted like a pompous jerk, though. Poor Sheri.

Carole
10-16-2006, 11:47 PM
I will never admit to it, but I will say that my hubby was terribly angst-ridden in his youth. He would kill me if I posted anything here that he wrote. It's actually pretty funny now. To me, anyway!

Bubastes
10-16-2006, 11:50 PM
Am I the only one whose "angsty" "poetry" (1) rhymed and (2) focused on the opposite sex, looks or other fluffy, teen-y topics? I mean, I remember writing a "poem" about kickball, for God's sake.

I was depressed, all right. I just couldn't figure out how to write poetry about it.

Carrie in PA
10-16-2006, 11:54 PM
Am I the only one

Yes. :roll:

DamaNegra
10-17-2006, 01:54 AM
Whoa, this is weird. I thought those things only happened in the movies or something.

Here, it's totally different (I'm in Mexico). There are no homecoming queens or prom queens or whatever silliness they'll devise next. Cheerleaders and jocks are practically unexistant.

I am part of a 300 kids generation. Of those 300 kids, there are only two of them who get picked on regularly. No cliques either, I could walk into any group of people and sit down with them, and they wouldn't mind. No one thinks they're superior, and looks don't matter that much (unless you're a guy and you're horny, but I've got many friends who are guys and couldn't care less).

So yeah, this is all seriously new to me. Even my friends who stutter never get picked on for their stuter, geeks, nerds, fat people, black people, no one ever gets picked on except for the ocassional friendly jest.

TwentyFour
10-17-2006, 02:39 AM
If you decide to go to your 10 year reunion, save the money and take yourself out to dinner instead. It really wasn't worth it. I'll be skipping any future reunions. (Not they could find me to send me an invite anyway. I dropped off the radar.)OMG I did that! I did not go and the reason why was simple...I did not want to go and spend money to see people I didn't like. If I wanted to keep in contact with them, I would have over the years. I still have my old high school friends and I must have been a pretty good pal since none of them went either. They would have if I would...I said no, so they all declined. Cool beans...

I know at least one would be there flaunting her PA novels and saying how great she is, another is a ex jock who beat his gf's and now hits on all of us...lol. Oh, and then theirs Danny O'Quinn...the Nascar racer...he left my friend for two other girls...some people? Anyway...life goes on and some people change for the better some for the worse?

TwentyFour
10-17-2006, 02:45 AM
My high school writing included the Kitchen Fuhrer, so I was more into Orwell.

PeeDee
10-17-2006, 02:49 AM
Am I the only one whose "angsty" "poetry" (1) rhymed and (2) focused on the opposite sex, looks or other fluffy, teen-y topics? I mean, I remember writing a "poem" about kickball, for God's sake.

Oi, my poetry all rhymed and actually stuck to a pattern from verse to verse. It as the obsession with silly free-form-angst-poems that irritated me so much.

If I'd been depressed instead of busy writing as fast as I could (and hanging out with this totally cool chick who I wound up marrying) then I might have written free-form-bad-poetry.

Eveningsdawn
10-17-2006, 05:15 AM
sad so sad
i want to die
i eat cheesy whizz
for days

my dad dont know me
my mom is cool tho
and u are pretty 2 me)

There should be a law...

I'm less than six months out of highschool, but while I was there, I edited my school's lit mag for three straight years. And the first year I was on staff, so I did it all four years.
And it's like you, and I_Shrugged, and Maestro, just recited what I had to select among. I've been writing since I was in sixth grade. Many of the people making up the club have been writing for years as well, or have a firm grasp of the craft (thus qualifying them to edit, even if they don't write). So here's all these solid, smart writers and artists in the club, and we know there's dozens more of them who should be submitting, and what do we get?
This is what we get.

Aw hell, I picked up the copy I went batshit on and wouldn't let any of the really angsty poems in (my senior-year edition, with a color cover and a teaser poem on the back... *is proud*).

Oh no, here's one.

The blackness consumes me,
a deep, never-ending abyss
A few minutes free of pain,
free of suffering,
and then I fall.
The blackness surrounds me...
The abyss is larger than before.

This is actually good, compared to some of the dreck we had to wade through. It was sheer torture.

Anyway, Dama. Yeah, of course this nonsense exists. Our jocks were pretty mellow, and most of them were pretty smart, and the same with the cheerleaders, and the chorus/band/orchestra/theater programs were well accepted. But omg the POPULAR GIRLS. Nasty, nasty pieces of work. They were the always-perfect looking ones, with the exception of tans so orange that the addition of green hair would have made good Oompa-Loompas. Not a hair out of place.
One of them made it her goal to try to knock me down in the hallway by slamming me with her shoulder - this is when I outweigh her by quite a bit, even though I'm small. Ms. Skinny Butt could barely even shift me - in fact, colliding with me was more likely to knock her off course, especially if I tilted my shoulder just right to catch the blow...
...heh.
I was on a funny rung of the popularity ladder. I wasn't a social outcast, and I wasn't popular. I was kindof a geek, I was big into chorus and music, and did theater. There were popular kids I was friendly with - generally the lower-level ones, or the ones who were popular in the way that they were genuinely cool people, or those who were SO popular that they could talk to whoever they damn well pleased. Really.
Hey, I enjoyed highschool. It was middleschool I hated. It's so much worse.

DamaNegra
10-18-2006, 03:52 AM
Oi, my poetry all rhymed and actually stuck to a pattern from verse to verse. It as the obsession with silly free-form-angst-poems that irritated me so much.

Oooh, oooh me too! My poetry always rhymed and had a set meter, some of them even resembled the shapes of the things they were about (a poem about a tree would have a tree shape), some of them were acronyms with set meter and rhyme :D It was fun!