You too can do it

TeddyG

The Other Shoe Will Fall!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.virginisrael.com
I have posted a few things like this before...but in light of some posts I just read perhaps it bears repeating...

Some members of AW are really dedicated to welcoming newcomers, which is a something I think is praiseworthy and important for the community. Others are dedicated to helping out in SYW and offering great and balanced crits. Personally, I often gravitate to this area of AW to try and make sure I congratulate most of the threads I catch when someone has a piece published or gets an agent etc.

The purpose of this area of AW to me is not only to blast and scream your own accomplishments and credits. While this too is really critical and important, for me I think it is also critical to pass the message along to others that "you too can do it". So many posts say "Wow. Now I wont give up hope." when they see another fellow AW'er actually having something they wrote being accepted and published.

Recently, since I have been on the board and that is the only perspective I can use here, I have been seeing quite a few fellow AW'ers, some friends, some just names to me, having their stories, poems, books, articles and novels accepted for publication. Perks, Three-Seven, Ray, Kevin etc. are names that I know and people I am in contact with. There are a great many others as well.

Others I am sure read these announcements (as I do) with a small mixture of good jealousy wondering whether they will ever reach the point that they can say "Hey. Guess what folks? My piece was accepted."

I happen to know of the people I mentioned above that they put an incredible amount of time, effort and their own souls into the pieces that they wrote. And it also took them a very long time. No one says this is easy. No one says this is going to be a cake-walk. I dont know Liam but I am sure the work he put into getting his novel published with acclaim is also way beyond substantial.

The thing is - if you believe in what you write, if you want to write, if you love the craft of writing - do NOT give up. Do not read the posts here and say to yourself "well that is great for them, but I am never going to get there" Dont be defeatist. Dont give in to the depression.

Congratulate your fellow writers on being published. Wish them all the best and mean it. Then go back to the keyboard or paper or whatever you use with the determination that within the next few weeks you are also going to be able to Post: "Hey. Hot Damn! I did it!"

And when we all congratulate you on your achievments remember those who are still trying. Remember to offer them support and help and a shoulder when they need it. Cause I will tell you a secret. The greatest pleasure is not when you post a new thread telling others you are published. Even a greater pleasure is to come here and congratulate those people who are flying on air cause they finally did it too. That one word post that says to your fellow writer "Congratulations" is so much more satisfying. That truly is the best feeling you can get.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Nicely said!

I'm really tickled when I see that someone here has good news to share(and we've had lots of good news lately!)

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I completely agree, Teddy. I use this area to congratulate the successes of others, but also to inspire me. If they can do it, well (to paraphrase a well known contributor here), Hot Damn! I can do it too.

I won't give up, and neither should any of you.

Congratulations to all those who've enjoyed successes in recent months. I hope everyone here has an accomplishment (or two!) to share in the months to come.

Melina

Getting better all the time
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.atozwordsmith.com
Great post, Teddy, and thank you! You're absolutely right, this forum is invaluable to those writers who are plugging away, yet to see results.

People, it does happen! And it happens to people you know! Keep at it, hone your craft. Take classes, if you want, but above all: Write, write, write!