Status
Not open for further replies.

mdin

The late, the great XThe NavigatorX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mattdinniman.com
We've talked about our favorite films. What about the most disturbing?

For me it has to be Cannibal Holocaust. The movie is beyond the pale, especially when you learn the animal scenes weren't faked.

Rabe

the living dead
Registered
Reaction score
Saw III

The fact that they are making a sequel to the completely unnecessary sequel to the biggest snorefest since "The Blair Witch Project" is too horrible to even contemplate - and yet, there it is.

No...wait - I've heard they want to make sequels to Alien Vs. Predator and Jason Vs. Freddy as well.

Hrmmmm...that does kind of skew my vote a bit doesn't it?

Rabe...

Jongfan

Insane, in a good way
Registered
Reaction score
Fargo,, maybe I missed something but this was the WORST movie I ever wasted my time on..horribly written and bad acting.

Andre_Laurent

Registered
Reaction score
Oh damn, I can't remember the name of the movie but it has this scene where "The Great Sardu (sp)" drills a hole in some womans skull, sticks in a straw and takes a slurp. Yep pretty disturbing.

JaneyJay

Registered
Reaction score
For me it would have to be Michael Haneke's Funny Games. Terrifying without seeing any actual violence. I loved it! For sheer cheese factor though, I love the late 60's, early 70's movies--Last House on The Left, I Spit on Your Grave, etc. Not terrifying in my opinion, but some can be disturbing.

mdin

The late, the great XThe NavigatorX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mattdinniman.com
Andre_Laurent said:
Oh damn, I can't remember the name of the movie but it has this scene where "The Great Sardu (sp)" drills a hole in some womans skull, sticks in a straw and takes a slurp. Yep pretty disturbing.

Ummm, Bloodsucking Freaks?

Jongfan... Fargo is one of my favorite movies of all time.

Marlowe

Duck of Death
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badmovieplanet.com
Jongfan said:
Fargo,, maybe I missed something but this was the WORST movie I ever wasted my time on..horribly written and bad acting.

Fargo's not really a horror film, though. (And I love it to death, myself, although I find some scenes almost unbearable to watch.)

Last House really got under my skin- a lot of it is amaturish and silly, but the scenes that work are nasty in a way you don't get in a lot of movies.

Nightmare on Elm Street managed to ruin my childhood before I ever even saw the damn thing. That it actually turned out to be quite good was a nice surprise.

I remember the first time I saw Night of the Living Dead. That bit with the girl and her mother and the trowel? Brrr.

JaneyJay

Registered
Reaction score
XThe NavigatorX said:
I haven't seen it, but I just added it to my Netflix list.

Please post back and let me know what you think. I don't know anyone who has seen this movie and it really made an impact on me. I am curious to know how you felt about it. One thing I should have added that it is subtitled. I am not suggesting you wouldn't like it because of that, but I know some people who won't watch subtitled movies because they find them too distracting.

newmod

Registered
Reaction score
The Howling scared me, well I was only about 10 or 11 when I saw it :)

eldragon

in a van down by the river
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
RickiO? A martial arts film that netflix accidently put on my list. I know I didn't order it!

GROSS STUFF!

HorrorWriter

It's a new dawn. It's a new day.
Registered
Reaction score
In your closet with the Boogeyman's corpse!
The most disturbing film for me was The Exorcist. Not only because of the movie but that it was based on a true story. The young boy it was based on lived on the East coast. His name was never revealed by the Catholic church but what they will say is that he is married with children and does not seem to remember his possession. :e2chain: Truth IS stranger than fiction!

WriterInChains

Feed my eyes
Registered
Reaction score
I've only stopped 2 movies because they were too disturbing, Cemetery Man and Tombs of the Blind Dead. Cemetery Man shows just how sick & twisted some Italian directors are *shudder*

I'm a huge fan of sick & twisted, so I was surprised to find that I couldn't keep watching CM. Tombs, though, I may try again. Some of it was cool.

Many of the movies mentioned above are on my list of favorites. :D

newmod

Registered
Reaction score
Andre_Laurent said:
Didn't you love it when she wigged (or is it wolfed) out on the air?

That was probably the highlight of the movie

louisgodwin

Back from the dead
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I'm never really "disturbed" by any movies as a whole, but there have been some really sickening moments for me in some films.

Silence of the Lambs: "I've cut my wrist so I can die!"
Clarice takes a step towards the man's cell.
And then.... SPLAT!

And then there was the scene where Buffalo Bill "tucked" himself away.

*shudder*

The Grudge: when the ghost-girl comes crawling down the stairs near the end of the movie. What is about that "Berrrrrraaaaaaaaaaccckkkkkk!!!!" noise she always makes that always gives me goosebumps?

bsolah

AW's Resident Commie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.benjaminsolah.com
Sorry Rabe, I have to disagree. I've loved both the Saw movies and am eagerly awaiting the third. Some of the scenes in the first two rank very high in the disturbing factor. The guy in the furnace in the second one stands out for me.

Pennywise

Registered
Reaction score
louisgodwin said:
The Grudge: when the ghost-girl comes crawling down the stairs near the end of the movie. What is about that "Berrrrrraaaaaaaaaaccckkkkkk!!!!" noise she always makes that always gives me goosebumps?

I'm ashamed to say that this is the only time I've had to close my eyes in when watching a film! That scene freaked me out big time! :scared:

The only other film that that has really scared me that badly was Michael Jacksons Thriller video. The yellow eyes, being chased through the woods and the horde of zombies smashing their way into the creepiest house I've ever seen. I had trouble sleeping for weeks and still get a chill down my spine when I see it now.

erika

Registered
Reaction score
Great question! I'm going with the top five most disturbing films I've ever seen:

1. The Exorcist
2. Last House on the Left
3. Halloween
4. Texas Chainsaw Massacre (the original)
5. Village of the Damned

Anything with evil children freaks me out (e.g. The Omen). Something about unbridled blood-lust, evil with the appearance of innocence that is unnerving, as though it's misplaced and unstoppable.

JustinThorne

www.justinthorne.com
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
For me, very few horror movies in the 'gore' niche are actually that disturbing, especially if you throw in a creature to the feature.

Violence however, can be pretty grim. Irreversible contains some of the worst scenes I have ever seen. Hostel was pretty uncomfortable to watch, reminded me a bit of the Saw movies.

Of all those slasher/gore flicks a la Wrong Turn or Texas Chainsaw Massacre, I think Wolf Creek is pretty good. The main problem with this type of movie is that you have little time to care about the characters... in many you kind of want them to get killed! With Wolf Creek, it starts out like a good old fashioned road movie, plenty of time to empathize with the leads before they start getting their bits snipped off!

I though the Descent was brilliant, especially for a creature feature. They managed to capture the essence of claustraphobia before even showing you a monster; and even after revealing the creepy crawlies, the gore and violence keep you on the edge of your seat!

JaneyJay

Registered
Reaction score
JustinThorne said:
For me, very few horror movies in the 'gore' niche are actually that disturbing, especially if you throw in a creature to the feature....Hostel was pretty uncomfortable to watch, reminded me a bit of the Saw movies.

I agree Justin. I find the whole "this could happen" idea more disturbing than the gore fest idea. However, I was disappointed in Hostel. I thought the idea had so much potential to be a really disturbing film, but I think they went over the top with the gore, i.e. the "eye" scene, which, in my opinion, made it more campy and silly. And speaking of camp, albeit not horror, any pre-1980 John Waters flick has elements of the disturbing--but I love them!

Aubrey

Registered
Reaction score
All I had to do is look at the pictures on the back of the American Psycho box to know I couldn't handle watching it. Ugh! Is it really as sick as it looks?

Status
Not open for further replies.