Writer with a Master of Divinity degree

Status
Not open for further replies.

gosling

Hello everyone.

I just starting reading some of the posts in this interesting section.

When I first joined AW the other day, I posted an introduction and some sample pages of my daily reflection manuscript, Restoring the Years, in the Religion section of this site. For those interested, it may be found under that title.

Having formal training in a Christian denomination in preparation for pastoral ministry, I experienced first hand, the inner workings of church along with it's hierarchal organization, particularly wherein it fell short of addressing primary needs of humans, including how to honestly relate to a God from the ashes of a broken childhood.

I found that there were many church leaders who themselves had experienced very traumatic beginnings in life, yet had developed a coarse, hard exterior and a knack for controlling people, so as not to ever feel threatened again. This type of leadership style does not bode well for individuals who sincerely hunger for healing. The expression of that hunger in itself reminds those who have so closely bandaged their wounds, of their short-circuited detour around it.

I know that some of my words and statements in Restoring the Years are strong, but it is my conviction that these things must be said and to water down the writing would be detrimental to my goal of helping people see their ability to have a personal, meaningful and liberating relationship with their Maker. That’s what Restoring the Years is about. It’s not an attack on organized religion, just a waymark for those who have had less than ideal experiences with it.

I know that it is work finding the to a publisher, yet if anyone on the site might have some guidance as to which literary agency to approach with this project, I'd be very grateful.

Lavinia

Registered
Reaction score
Just wanted to encourage you to keep writing. I think I understand where you are coming from and it sounds like a FANTASTIC book. I love the title too. I belong to a non-denominational church. I am a "born again" Christian, though I virtually NEVER use that term. I just like to say, I have accepted that there is one God and that for some strange reason, he accepts me as I am and wants me on his team (cheesy I know). I was raised in a large denomination devoid of the Spririt of the Living God that I now know.

I was at (and actually go to read something I wrote) a Women's Conference a few weekends ago. I can tell you this...women are hurting...they are searching for answers to those hurts. They have carefully constructed facades that crumble when the word is spoken.

And may I just add that hurts inflicted by Christians and those inflicted as a child are always just below the surface.

I hope you understand what I'm trying to say. There is an agent, Steve Laube, that might be interested in your work. Look him up on an internet search. I was fortunate enough to be in a workshop he lead. He was at that time working for a major publishing house. He is now on his own. That's about all I have in that area. Hope it's helpful.

I believe that, Hurt People...Hurt people. And those who have not worked through their own issues, have no business in the ministry. That doesn't mean they have to be perfect, as I believe that God reveals things to us at different times in our lives. But I do think there are those who go into the ministry for all the wrong reasons (as you said).

Lavinia

gosling

I appreciate your thoughtful reply, Lavinia

Lavinia, it was great to receive your response to my post. I read it with great interest and appreciated you many insights and the referral to the agent. I will try and look him up.

It's not by accident that you mentioned hurt people not the best fit for leaders in Churches. I think that I've heard the term "wounded healers" and in it is a secret that Jesus may have been sepaking of when He said "What I tell you in darkness." Christians, I feel, need to be the most real people on earth. Salt. I do know that my own "calling" I heard decades ago was real, but it was short-circuited by being in a place and time and organization that didnt work out for me to stay as a leader. The Lord has done a lot of things in my life since, the biggest and best, adopting me and making me feel like His son. I came from a horrible family of origin that remains mostly unconscious to this day, as a result of a raging father who sought to destroy his sons with words and anger. It is amazing what God allows to take place, but as I mentioned in my query, if you read it on the site, the only remedy I've found useful, is blatant honesty before God about such things; wrestling with Him about it. This is what I mean by th eterm "being known." One of my favorite sattements of Jesus is "As the Father knows me, I know the Father." We know God, by HIs knowing us. But it requires being real before Him about the things that have affected our lives.

Please keep in touch and thanks again for your great reply!

Walt Puciata

Status
Not open for further replies.