Not open for further replies.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Jeez.

So there is this deaf black girl in my math class. I volunteered to take notes for her.

Thus, the professor was giving me copies of that day's lesson plan. I made outlines on the notes before class, and filling in the blanks as we went.

Here's where my thread title comes in. The girl in question shows up late every day, except for today. Literally, she would stroll in 25, 30 minutes late, leaving her interpreter hanging around outside the classroom.

I find myself with an immediate dislike for the girl. I dislike acedemic slovenlyness. All the same, I take notes for her and make sure they are pristine.

Her response to my volunteering, at the beginning of the semester, was "Whatever." (Well, a gesture conveying this.)

She's 'hollared' at me several times before, mostly accusing me of looking at her (???), and purposefully attempting to throw her off in my notes. (Again, ??? - My notes are pristine.)

Today, she shows up on time. She sees me copying notes from a lesson plan, and immediately begins to make rapid gestures at the interpreter. He says, "If you're copying those notes from something, you can keep them. I want the notes from the lecture."

My reply, as I'm rather sick of her at this point, is an unpleasant "Wonderful."

She says something, the interpreter doesn't translate. Class begins.

After class, I set the notes on the desk in between us. Rude, yes, but we're not exactly on pleasant terms and I *AM* doing her a favor.

She immediately says (Through her interpreter.) that she doesn't want the page(s) I "copied" earlier and ignores the notes.

I tell her, "Look, I take notes from the lesson plans, the text book, and the whiteboard. You get copies of my notes on carbonless paper. If you can read the notes, and if the information is there, you have nothing to ***** about. I'm sorry that you don't have a black note taker. Maybe you should ask someone with a skin color you like."

She says something about my not handing the notes to her; I say,

"Why should I hand anything to you when you won't even look me in the eyes?"

(We pass eachother all too much for my taste on campus, and she always makes it THEATRICALLY clear that she is *not* going to interact with me.)

She says something along the lines of, "You just have to tap me on the shoulder to get my attention." --The interpreter made this sound very polite, but it looked very pissed.

She storms out, leaves the notes behind. The interpreter says, "Well, she clearly saw them. Hang in there, Bart" and leaves.

I pass her in the hall, and I make the sign for Sorry as I pass her. She flicks her wrist at me, which I assume means Shoo. I stop dead and laugh at her, which I assume she understands, and she flips me off. All well and pleasant.

Anyhoo, I get a call later on saying I'm no longer needed as a note taker in 8:00 math--Shock, Shock.

My question, I suppose, is this...

Is my thinking that she doesn't like white people, because she's black, in my own head? Does this make me a rascist? Or are my instincts about her correct?

Also, I need you all to help me resist the urge to say, "Late again, Sweety?" as she strolls in a half hour late this coming monday. -_-

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I don't think it was necessarily about race from what you described. People act like bitches all the time without using race as a reason and she was probably no exception.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
veinglory said:
I don't think it was necessarily about race from what you described. People act like bitches all the time without using race as a reason and she was probably no exception.

I like things to make sense, though, and I can't figure what I did to her--besides waste an awful lot of my time before class on her behalf.

BottomlessCup

Getting settled
Registered
Reaction score
Well, she didn't bring up race. You did.

But I wouldn't say that makes you a racist necessarily. It just means you're acutely aware of the tension there and perhaps jumped to a false conclusion. (Or a true one, I don't know the girl's mind.)

FWIW, you could've came to a similar conclusion about gender, her disability, or her being a b****. But you went with race. Was there a reason for that?

clockwork

In the zone...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
redzonefilm.net
I concur. She just sounds like a difficult person who could be acting that way for any number of reasons unknown. Maybe she's been dependent on people all her life and she's frustrated. Maybe she has a crappy home life. Maybe she hates maths. The one thing I've learned from my youth work is never to react negatively in situations like that. Be a hero and take the high ground, however difficult that might be. Either she'll come around or she won't. In either case, you can go home knowing you did the right thing.

Kudos to you for helping out though. Stick with it, I say.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
I agree with everyone else here. You did a bang up job by volunteering and she didn't appreciate the efforts for whatever reasons only she'll know. Don't consider yourself a racist because from what you described she is a difficult person to deal with.

On the other hand she could like you and it's her way of getting your attention.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Sound advice, both of you. Maybe I should stop trying to learn to sign "You're Pathetic."

Anyway...

Me? Bitter?

BottomlessCup said:
But you went with race. Was there a reason for that?

That's what's troubling me. See, I jumped to the conclusion that she doesn't like me because I'm white. And now I'm wondering if I'm not an in the closet bigot. :|

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
SpookyWriter said:
On the other hand she could like you and it's her way of getting your attention.

Judging from her body language, I'm thinking this a big no.

But since I can only understand her through and interpreter, I'll never know.

Question--

Is it rude to ignore the interpreter when I want to ignore her?

Or should I tell him, "I'm ignoring her." ?

=\

clockwork

In the zone...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
redzonefilm.net
Bartholomew said:
Is it rude to ignore the interpreter when I want to ignore her?

Or should I tell him, "I'm ignoring her." ?

=\

Do your job to the very best of your ability with courtesy and a smile. Let everything just roll off your back. I promise you, it'll be worth it. :)

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Yup, she's just a difficult person. I just don't see how "race" plays here unless you see clear evidence that she treats you differently because of your color. But I don't. Seems like she treats everyone like crap anyway.

My advice? Don't be bitter. Be a better person. The interpreter didn't do anything to you, so why should you be rude to her, too? If you don't want to deal with this person anymore, just say so and move on. Ask her to find another note copier. There's no reason to be petty about it.

Last edited:

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When I was in school I had a similar situation with a blind student who shared both my major and my minor. Before you know it, I'm reading her my notes so she can record them, proofreading her assignments and papers, and doing other stuff way above and beyond the call of friendly and helpful.

And for what? For being blamed when she doesn't get an A and I do, or when she fails to do the assigned reading because I had a date and wouldn't read it to her on the phone.

In hindsight, I should have gone to the professors, but I was (and am) shy and just gritted my teeth until graduation. I complained to my mom about it that summer, and she said something pretty smart. "You and I can't know what it's like to be her, of course. I'm glad you tried to help her out. Remember, though, being blind doesn't automatically make someone nice. No one's entitled to be cruel just because fate's been cruel to her. She'll learn that, or live her life alone."

Maryn, who'll never be as smart as Mom

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Seems to me that she figures since she's got people to take her notes for her, she doesn't actually have to do any work, and decided to show up late for class, etc..

She sounds like a spoiled brat, plain and simple. She COULD show up on time and at least copy the whiteboard notes, then insert them with what you've given her. But she chooses to let you do all the work and doesn't even respect the class or the teacher enough to show up on time. Yep, just spoiled.

BottomlessCup

Getting settled
Registered
Reaction score
Bartholomew said:
That's what's troubling me. See, I jumped to the conclusion that she doesn't like me because I'm white. And now I'm wondering if I'm not an in the closet bigot. :|

The town I grew up in is literally, statistically, one of the ten whitest towns in America. We had one black kid the whole time I was in school, zero Asian kids.

Now, I work for a company where almost half the employees are black. We get partnered up for trips, and you end up spending almost 24 hours a day with your partner - shared hotel room, meals together, work together, etc.

I don't think I'm racist at all, but when I first worked with black guys, the race issue felt omnipresent. I was always watching what I say, for fear that something will come out wrong. I would worry about how they feel about working with a white guy - whether they'd be more comfortable or genial with another black guy. I'd notice little random differences (have you ever seen a guy with jerricurls (sp?) first thing in the morning? It's spectacular.)

If you think about the race issue that much, you'll see it in places where it doesn't belong. You blow it out of proportion.

That might be what happened to you. The more you spend time around people of other races, the less you'll notice it.

Jongfan

Insane, in a good way
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like a classic case of snobbery and ungratefulness

Whether she is black, green, yellow , visually impaired, limb challenged or what ever... simple manners

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
If she's got an interpreter, why does she need you to take notes? Isn't that what the interpreter is for?

Reaction score
I just hope this incident doesn't turn you into Dallas Winston, Bart.

dillon1.jpg

"WHY DO YOU BOTHER HELPING PEOPLE, HUH? It doesen't do any good."

Reaction score
Siddow said:
If she's got an interpreter, why does she need you to take notes? Isn't that what the interpreter is for?

Sadly, the interpreter is illiterate.

It's soooommmee scene over at that school.

Elodie-Caroline

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
elodie.the.writer.tripod.com
Hi Bart,
I haven't read anyone else's replies, so will just say what I think ok...
I don't think that this is a race thing. I think the girl's either got a chip on her shoulder because she's deaf etc, or she's been plainly spoilt, or maybe even both of these things.
I think you've bee doing her a huge favour and she's very ungrateful; so just let her get on with it and get on with your own life and forget about her, she'll soon see what she's messed up with her arrogance.

Ellie

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
you sound like an introverted individual who doesnt express himself well and youre passive aggressive b/c of that.

i see absolutely no reason whatsover for you to mention race when you confronted her. it's problematic that you let it get to a point where you exploded, but even more worrisome, is that it seems pretty clear that there's some sort of underlining resentment that goes beyond her being unnappreciative.

i personally dont think it does much good to call some1 a racist (ive said that to ppl, but that's not b/c i wanted to change their minds, it's just b/c i was angry). so, w that said, let's just say that there's a lesson here, and if you figure it out on your own, you can learn from this experience.

and im gonna say again: you really should know your own temperment, and gauge it so that you confront a person calmly before it escalates and you become enraged like that.

good luck.

~dr. bravo

Last edited:

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Siddow said:
Universities routinely provide both an interpreter and a note-taker for deaf students. The interpreters frequently can't provide all of the details that come out of the instructor's mouth, so the note-taker is a necessary back-up. This is particularly true for jargon-heavy subjects and symbol-heavy subjects (like math).

Bart, I wouldn't worry about the cause of all this--it will only continue the irritation. You fulfilled your obligation to the young woman. You said you were sorry. With her reaction, it's time to have nothing at all to do with her from here on. Don't be rude, don't be friendly. Don't be anything. Some people in this world will be lost to us no matter what we do. Since she has no other ties to you, chalk it up to an unfortunate situation and let it be. If you see her, smile, break eye contact so you don't see her reaction, and walk on.

Eeman

Registered
Reaction score
I think it was inappropriate for you to mention race. This does not mean you are a "racist" - but it seems you are the one who made race an issue.

TsukiRyoko

Forced into cell phone life
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tsuki-explodes.blogspot.com
That's not racist in the least. She's simply ridiculous. There's a lot of kids like this at my old highschool, and it IS a form of racism, but sadly, it's usually on their part (which can sometimes mean nothing is done about it). From the sounds of this situation, though, I don't think it's not racism on your or her part.

Aubrey

Registered
Reaction score
Oh she just sounds like a peach! There's nothing I love more than someone using a label to get out of putting in any effort. I'm sure the quadroplegic girl who got her doctorate and became a professor would be disgusted with her.

However I do think that racist comment was out of line and completely out of left field. It's as random as saying, "Well I'm sorry that you don't have a redheaded note taker." I don't think her attitude has anything to do with your race, since she's apparently that way to everyone. But i'm glad you stood up to her. If you're doing her a favour, the least she could do is be grateful and make your job as easy as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.