The AW Creative Halloween Costume Brain Trust

Status
Not open for further replies.

BottomlessCup

Getting settled
Registered
Reaction score
I went as "A Zombie who was Repelled by Office Depot Employees" once. It's a classic zombie costume, with a bunch of gored-up office supplies stuck on.

Whatcha got?

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Kid was a teabag one year. I made her costume of interfacing filled with dead leaves, a thick string, and a tag that read "Flow Thru" in brown marker. She wore black leotard and tights inside it.

Kid Two was a lobster one year. I still have the costume, but he refuses to wear it again. It's awesome. (His friend was a chef.)

Kid One was Venus de Milo. White leotard and tights, powdered-white skin and hair, black gloves.

Kid Two, who was 6'3" and about 160 pounds at the time, was the Pillsbury Dough Boy. The padding was a nightmare, but it came out pretty well.

Kid One was twenty when she was a Valkyrie. If I posted the pics, all the guys here would be hitting on her.

Both kids were spiders, with eight functional legs, and bow ties and derbies. Another year they were both Celts with blue faces.

Kid One was Sally from "The Nightmare Before Christmas." The stitches holding on her arms and legs were a little too convincing.

Maryn (Can you tell I sew?)

Last edited:

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I wore a fat suit once and donned a wig. I was my mother. Scary!

I got some scrubs and put silver in my hair and splash red paint all over myself and took a hedge trimmer with me -- instant mad doctor.

I dressed up as a woman once. I looked like Miss Hawaii, and got picked up by drunk guys (hello, look at the Adam's apple). It was scary (for me).

My best costume, which won me a few "best" awards, was as Pinocchio. It was the most outrageously funny and bizarre and weird and wonderful costume. I was very proud of it.

Last edited:

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
I always wanted to go as a disgruntled postal worker, resplendent w/ aortic spray on my shirt. I never got it together though. this year I'm either doing Hermione, or Nascar fan.

Aubrey

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Tsuki, did you have any doughnuts with you?

I was a picnic once. I wore a blue checkered plastic cloth like a sandwich board, with cardboard backing on the front. I had dishes and toy food on tied on it with fishing wire and I even think I had some plastic ants. It got lots of complements.

When I was in my Free Willy phase I had a killer whale costume. It wasn't that exciting, just basically a customized one piece sweat suit with a hood.

My best one was a raisin. It was a maroon bean-shaped thing with two arm holes and a hole for the head. It was lined and gathered all over so it looked wrinkly. I had a gold bow on the front that I insisted on so I'd like a girl raisin. I was six at the time.

TsukiRyoko

Forced into cell phone life
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tsuki-explodes.blogspot.com
Bit of course I had doughnuts on me. What type of Vash would I be without anice, hefty box od doughnuts? :D

Word of advice- don't go as a twister board if someone else is going as a spinner. "Foot on blue" can get pretty painful....

mdin

The late, the great XThe NavigatorX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mattdinniman.com
I dressed in drag and had a fake pregnant belly once. My wife wore her dad's airplane jumpsuit.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I had some Soviet gear from bartering I did on a high-school trip back just before the Olympic boycott: a Soviet Army hat -- the fur kind with the flaps, and the red star with hammer and sickle on the forehead; a Soviet Navy jumper (typical sort of sailor top); and an Army belt with the same insignia on the buckle. Oh, and the dress boots: leather, to the knee.

Anyway, I wore all that gear and covered my face and hands in brown shoe polish. I went as a Black Russian.

Tip for young players: Do NOT put shoe polish on your skin. Takes HOURS to get off, and leaves your complexion a mess.

Serenity

NCIS...
Registered
Reaction score
...cause sometimes you just need a slap on the hea
I don't have one for me, but I do have one I did for someone else. In my high school every year, the senior band members dressed the sophomore band members for 'Come as You're Not' Day. Yes, even then we couldn't call it Halloween. Oh well.

The one sophomore in my hornline had the distinct pleasure of going through the day as a Yellow Crayon. I decked her out head to toe in yellow and took a piece of yellow posterboard and drew the crayola design on it and taped it in a tube shape. Yellow yarn for straps held it over her shoulders like a pair of suspenders.

Poor girl couldn't sit down. :D

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, one year I dressed up as a pregnant woman. I think that was the one year I wasn't actually pregnant.

When I was in my twenties I put together a Playboy bunny outfit, complete with little bunny tail which I cut off of a stuffed animal.

Redd Ryden

I'm the Head-ParrotHead!
Registered
Reaction score
Where's the party???-- I got the KEY to the cage--
Since there weren't kids in my neighborhood while our kids were small-- no trick-or-treaters-- I've gotten in the habit of helping a friend out with their neighborhood FULL of kids. Every year I'm a witch. The most realistic witch I can be-- "professional" witch's hat, really good broomstick, purple striped socks, black shorty-boots (this year I'm adding tiny purple lights to the hat, I think). Then, after I'm completely decked out (takes about 45 minutes to get into the costume), I stand in their driveway in front of my antique metal "real" cauldren (about 2 1/2 feet across), a fog machine inserted, an "electric flame" heating the "brew", arms and legs sticking out of the "soup". This year, I'm adding a talking skull candy dish for the middle of the pot, with gummy worms and spiders (not to be eaten) in the bowl. I'm so believable I've even scared the older kids (I pull back from the "little bitties"). It wipes me out, but it's great fun!

:e2cat:
We need some BLACK cats, pumkins & stuff!!

jbal

Registered
Reaction score
My wife had an idea for our son this year, but I don't know if we'll do it. Take a large clear plastic bag, wrap around kid and fill with multicolored balloons, red pants....gumball machine.
We are also considering painting the wife's pregnant belly and having her as a fishbowl (would work for me too I guess).

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My Mom was a Christmas tree one year, complete with ornaments. Stopped traffic as she walked down the road to her church party.

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
As part of tradition, I dress up every year as a writer who is a bit shaggy-haired and wearing mostly black and tends to stay in his office and write.

It's a huge hit. No one ever comes to talk to me, either.

The only exception was when I was sixteen and went as Alice Cooper. I did that very well, I might add.

jbal

Registered
Reaction score
PeeDee said:
As part of tradition, I dress up every year as a writer who is a bit shaggy-haired and wearing mostly black and tends to stay in his office and write.

It's a huge hit. No one ever comes to talk to me, either.

The only exception was when I was sixteen and went as Alice Cooper. I did that very well, I might add.
You should have waited until you were eighteen

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
jbal said:
You should have waited until you were eighteen

*sigh* I really should of. Thanks a lot, now I have a regret to go with that great costume.

cree

Registered
Reaction score
Well, we've got up to a foot of snow predicted tonight, so it's an early start to winter, but not too much earlier than usual....here, our kids are always dressed up as some variant of the following: "But MOM! No one can SEE my costume under this SNOWSUIT!"
(Insert image of the little snowsuited kid from A Christmas Story here)

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
I had that problem when I was a kid, with the exception of places like St. Croix in the Virgin Islands where the best thing to do when going Trick-Or-Treating is to make sure you're heavily armed.

Mostly, super-hero costumes are great so that your "muscles" can actually be a warm "coat" and you won't "freeze" when it's twenty below zero.

Tricky for the girls, though. You get a lot of pretty bulky ballerinas.

samgail

poll dancer
Registered
Reaction score
Don't get me started, I live for halloween!

One year my SO was the head pubbah at a loval fraternal organization. We had to come in a costume for their annual ball. This has always been something I do minimally-examples: One year I went as a go-go girl and he was a beatnik. I just put out his favorite corduroys, a black turtleneck and a beret. (I had to model the go-go boots first to get him to wear it) He already had chops so it worked.
So, anyway, He went as the emperor of doom and I was his empress. It was fun to work together on it. We painted his face as a skeleton and he wore a partial mask-very creepy. I wore a blond regency wig with a black mask hung with cool big thick chains. Kind of executioner meets dominatrix in velvet. No one recognized us at first and we had a great time.

cree

Registered
Reaction score
"Don't worry, honey, everyone will KNOW you are the girl sidekick to Avatar the Last Airbender, because your hair looks exactly like hers does when she's riding the Air Buffalo Aka through the land of the Firebenders...."
(excerpt from discussion last Halloween with teary kid, who unfortunately got asked if she was one of those little people from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, and the night went south from there).

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
cree said:
"Don't worry, honey, everyone will KNOW you are the girl sidekick to Avatar the Last Airbender, because your hair looks exactly like hers does when she's riding the Air Buffalo Aka through the land of the Firebenders...."
(excerpt from discussion last Halloween with teary kid, who unfortunately got asked if she was one of those little people from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, and the night went south from there).

I don't mean to laugh at your poor kid, but...er....I'm hurting my side laughing... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.