This might be a dumb question, but.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

David McAfee

God of Squirrels
Registered
Reaction score
...in the query process, when referring to the SASE, should you use "a," as in "a self addressed, stamped envelope," or "an" which would sound better with the acronym "SASE" since the pronunciation of the letter S seems to begin with a short E sound.

For that matter, when referring to any acronym for which the pronunciation seems to begin with a vowel sound, would you us "a" or "an?"

Told y'all it was a dumb question...;)

Ad Astra

Cok Seviyorum!!
Registered
Reaction score
Blasphemy, it's certainly not 'dumb'.

But people read things the way they would speak them, so I'm almost positive using 'an' would be suitable for this sort of thing.

K1P1

Procrastination is its own reward
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, it's a great question--one that I find myself contemplating freqently as acronyms proliferate in some of the academic writing I edit.

My take on it is that, as an editor, I can do what I please. I follow (and enforce) the rule that "an" is appropiate before a vowel sound.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
I'd recommend spelling it out, so it would be "a self-addressed, stamped envelope." While everyone CALLS it an SASE (and the "an" would be appropriate to precede a single letter), few actually type it in the query. :)

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Either above your below your sign-off, put:

SASE enclosed for your response. Left justify it (don't indent). It's probably better left out of the main body (narrative part) of the letter.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
Ad Astra said:
Blasphemy, it's certainly not 'dumb'.

But people read things the way they would speak them, so I'm almost positive using 'an' would be suitable for this sort of thing.
Nope, it's "a SASE is enclosed..." and not "an SASE is enclosed...".

Sorry but no frenchie frys for you girlie. :D

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
I personally use "a," but then I pronounce SASE "SAY-see" and not "ess-ay-ess-ee." :)

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Either way. It depends if you want to pronounce it as sase, or S.A.S.E.

"A" for the former, and "an" for the latter.

Personally, since it's an acronym, I'd spell it out, so I use "an." Just as you would say, "I've an IBM computer" and not "I've got a IBM [pronounced as imb] computer."

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
Ad Astra said:
What...no french fries? ;_;

Hyark hyark, anyways, why do you think put the 'I'm ALMOST positive'?

:p
You're missing a vowel in this sentence...guess you used it on the OP response...hahhahaaaa....:roll:

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Scarlett_156 said:
I didn't know what "SASE" meant until a couple of years ago. I was too embarrassed to ask anyone.

The question left unasked is the one in everyone's mind.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
No one is going to flog you to death if you use "an" instead of "a" or vice versa.

(and it's not a dumb question)

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Stuff like this tends to make my ears smoke like the android Norman on the old Star Trek TV show, so I just avoid it by ending my query/cover letters along these lines:

Sincerely,

My name

Encl.: This letter
Manuscript (prologue & first three chapters)

Synopsis

SASE

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
SASE

In all honesty, I can't remember ever needing to use any form of a or an SASE. When are you supposed to use it, anyway?

I'm not about to tell an agent or editor that I've enclosed a SASE or an SASE. If I've enclosed it correctly, they don't need to be told.

I know most say the rule should be "an SASE," but I think it's wrong. I'd write "a" SASE, simply because I'd never think of writing "An self-addressed envelope," so why would I write "An SASE?" My ear must be off, but I don't hear "SASE" starting with a vowel sound, any more than I hear "self" starting with a vowel sound. Is it "A safe," or "An safe." If it's "a safe," then it should be " a SASE."

But, really, doesn't "SASE enclosed" say it all?

Eeman

Registered
Reaction score
My ear must be off, but I don't hear "SASE" starting with a vowel sound, any more than I hear "self" starting with a vowel sound.

The vowel sound comes when you pronounce each letter of the acronym separately:

ess ay ess ee

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
exactly. when you treat it like an acronym -- it's S - A - S - E, not self-addressed-self-stamped-envelope -- then the "an" makes sense, because the "S" starts with a vowel.

Like I said, it depends on how you treat the acronym. Because in the case of SASE or UNICEF, you can actually pronounce the acronym as a word, and that makes it confusing. When you deal with acronyms, you don't treat it as the full text. But do you say "sass" and "unisef" or do you say "ess ay ess ess" and "you en eye ess yee eff"?

So it's "an NAACP representative" or "an NFL team." If you apply the same rule, then it's "an SASE."

If you prefer to say "a NAACP representative" or "a NFL team" then you would probably say "a SASE."

Now if you prefer to pronounce "SASE" as "sass" then you would probably say "a SASE."

Last edited:

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Eeman said:
The vowel sound comes when you pronounce each letter of the acronym separately:

ess ay ess ee

True, but in twenty years, I don't think I've heard anyone use SASE as an initialism. Every last person I know uses SASE as an anacronym, just as NASA is an anacronym, and as such, it should be "a SASE," not "an SASE."

I think too many have forgotten the difference between an initialism and an acronym. "MBA" is an initialism. "NASA" is an acronym. If it's said as a word, then the grammatical rule for words is what should be used, and everyone I know treats SASE as a word. They do not say "ess ay ess ee," the say "SASE," just as we say "NASA."

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
And that's why it's funny. I've always said it as S-A-S-E but I've heard others say it either way (S-A-S-E or sass). Since I always say it as S-A-S-E, I use "an."

That's why even the experts are split on this.

K1P1

Procrastination is its own reward
Registered
Reaction score
I always spell out the four letters SASE when I say it out loud, and would never, ever pronounce it "saze" or "sass." I've never heard anyone say it that way either. Do you suppose it's a regional variation?

Also, depending on the dictionary, you'll find that "acronym" and "initialism" are considered to be the same thing in some, different in others, and in some "initialism" is a type of acronym. I think the usage isn't consistent. Of course, I've never heard anyone use the term "initialism" until I read it here, which is why I went to the trouble to look it up.

David McAfee

God of Squirrels
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. I've never had a topic moved before ;)

Personally, I have always pronounced every letter in SASE (ess-ay-ess-ee), I'd never even heard of it as being pronounced "SASE" or "SASS" before. This, of course, is where my confusion comes from.

Well, that and the crack. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.