Feel my pain

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I've decided I want everyone to feel my pain. I'm a technical writer and editor. Today I got a document to edit that was written by the marketing guy. It's a mess of nonsensical jargon and generally bad writing.

Here's a snippet:

"Improve response time with immediate pages and routing supporting documents for approval by decision-makers directly."

Okay, is it just me, or HUH? I get to make that make sense. Jealous yet?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think I understand it . . . after reading it intently three times. But then, maybe not.

That man has a bright future with the government.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I have done some of that work (argh!) -- some of these people are very smart and good at what they do but they can't write worth a damn. And I'm the guy with an accent.

Maybe:

You can improve response time by using immediate pages, and by directly routing supporting documents to decision-makers for approval.

Not sure what "immediate pages" are. I guess it's like "paging someone immediately"?

You can improve response time by paging the decision-makers immediately, and by directly routing supporting documents to them for approval.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, maestro, for giving it a go. This is what I came up with. I think it's more understandable. I mean, this is a marketing document. It's supposed to be clear, concise, and understandable for everyone.

“Improve response time by receiving pages immediately, so you can forward documents directly to decision-makers for their approval.”

Make more sense? I think this is what he's getting at, anyway.

DeniseK

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Improve response time with immediate pages and routing supporting documents for approval by decision-makers directly."

I think he's saying, "Improve response time by receiving (or sending, it could be either or both) pages immediately and by routing supporting documents directly to decision-makers for approval."

Last edited:

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Would it be "receiving" or "sending" pages? Or both? That's why he wrote "with immediate pages" instead of using a verb.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
maestrowork said:
Would it be "receiving" or "sending" pages? Or both? That's why he wrote "with immediate pages" instead of using a verb.
You got me, and I know this software product! I e-mailed him the edit saying I wasn't entirely sure what he was trying to say. I'll see what I get back, if anything.

Duncan J Macdonald

Plotting! Not Plodding!
Registered
Reaction score
alleycat said:
I think I understand it . . . after reading it intently three times. But then, maybe not.

That man has a bright future with the government.
No, no, no. I work for the government (in the DOD specifically) and we _never_ route documents directly to decision makers. They all have to go through all the intermediate steps. Anything less would step on too many toes.

Jongfan

Insane, in a good way
Registered
Reaction score
CaroGirl said:
I've decided I want everyone to feel my pain. I'm a technical writer and editor. Today I got a document to edit that was written by the marketing guy. It's a mess of nonsensical jargon and generally bad writing.

Here's a snippet:

"Improve response time with immediate pages and routing supporting documents for approval by decision-makers directly."

Okay, is it just me, or HUH? I get to make that make sense. Jealous yet?

Talk about time management.. less is more LOL

oarsman

Salt water is the cure
Registered
Reaction score
I feel your pain, Caro. I tried to read between the words and came up with this:

"I want to surf web pages faster and want my documents routed directly to decision-makers instead of the usual cast of company procrastinators!"

:Shrug:

Status
Not open for further replies.