Resume?

K Willis

I recently queried an agent who got back to me, and asked me to resend my query with a writing resume attached to it and, well, I don't have anything else published. Do I send her an email back saying that I don't have one, as the project I'm querying her for is my first novel? Just slightly confused, and freaking out a small bit.

Marlowe

Duck of Death
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badmovieplanet.com
Well, most agents want some history from you when you send a query in, but you're not required to lie or anything. Have you published any stories, or written non-fiction pieces? When I sent out queries earlier this fall, the only thing I could mention was that I have a mildly popular review site, The Duck Speaks, where I reviewed movies and the novels they were based on. I'm sure this lack of experience got me some automatic "no's," but two agents from very reputable agencies were still interested in seeing the novel, so it's not like a death sentence.

I'd say be honest about your writing experience, just be confident that what you wrote is good enough to be worth attention even if it is your first book.

EDIT: Just remembered this is the "Ask the Agent" section, but I'm sure someone with better qualifications than I will be alone shortly. (And I know how unpleasant it can be to wait for a response...)

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
If you don't have any publications, just be honest and say so.

Is this for a novel or for nonfiction? In nonfiction, agents and publishers are often looking for a "platform," but for a novel it really shouldn't matter whether you're previously published.

- Victoria