PDA

View Full Version : Bad Luck?

AnnMB
10-13-2006, 04:59 PM
It's Friday the 13th, and there are several big black crows nesting on my roof. Is that bad luck?

Ol' Fashioned Girl
10-13-2006, 05:06 PM
Depends on how many... and whether or not you live in the Tower of London. ;)

Eveningsdawn
10-13-2006, 05:40 PM
How many?

'cause it, y'know, matters.

I can never remember if the corvidae counting rhyme is for crows, ravens, or magpies, but here you are.

One for sorrow
Two for mirth
Three for a wedding
Four for a birth
(alternatly:
One for sorrow
Two for joy
Three for a girl
Four for a boy)
Five for silver
Six for gold
Seven for a secret
Never to be told
Eight for heaven
Nine for hell
And ten for
The Devil's own sel'.

clearly, numbers 1, 9, and 10 are ones you want to avoid.

Serenity
10-13-2006, 06:13 PM
Only if you hear "Don't Fear the Reaper" playing in the background somewhere...

maestrowork
10-13-2006, 06:26 PM
I patted a black cat -- does that count?

clockwork
10-13-2006, 06:38 PM
How many?

'cause it, y'know, matters.

I can never remember if the corvidae counting rhyme is for crows, ravens, or magpies, but here you are.

One for sorrow
Two for mirth
Three for a wedding
Four for a birth
(alternatly:
One for sorrow
Two for joy
Three for a girl
Four for a boy)
Five for silver
Six for gold
Seven for a secret
Never to be told
Eight for heaven
Nine for hell
And ten for
The Devil's own sel'.

clearly, numbers 1, 9, and 10 are ones you want to avoid.

It's magpies in the UK. On a TV show today a woman was talking about how whenever she sees a magpie she has to salute it and say, "Good morning/afternoon, Mr. Magpie."

I no longer have a television set, such are the consequences of throwing a coffee mug in its general direction.

I too patted a black cat today.

Maryn
10-13-2006, 07:57 PM
I was born on a Friday the 13th. You may all shelter under my black cloak until the danger passes.

Maryn, who suspects it'll get crowded under there

Christine N.
10-13-2006, 08:15 PM
It's ravens, not crows.

Edgar Allan Poe just wouldn't have the same ring to it..."quoth the crow"? Nah. Raven. I think they are ravens on the lawn of the Tower.

But the other day I saw an interesting sight... four vultures lined up on the roof of the K-Mart. It was weird.

Del
10-13-2006, 11:36 PM
It's Friday the 13th, and there are several big black crows nesting on my roof. Is that bad luck?

Do you have an opened skylight?

Kate Thornton
10-13-2006, 11:54 PM
But the other day I saw an interesting sight... four vultures lined up on the roof of the K-Mart. It was weird.

LOL! I've seen the vultures lined up in *front* of the K-Mart ...on the day after Thanksgiving!

allion
10-14-2006, 05:24 AM
I own a black cat, so I pet him all the time. :)

I did see several vultures soaring over downtown the other day.

If it's Friday the 13th, then the bikers must be at Port Dover, even with the snow and sleet. Only one this year, and it's almost over.

Karen

C.bronco
10-14-2006, 05:37 AM
I once heard that the 13th was only bad luck for witches. Nonetheless, I had absolutley no traffic on the way to work, and things turned out better than I'd expected today! I had a lot of good luck.

clockwork
10-14-2006, 05:40 AM
Today was a great for me. I was off work, I did absolutely nothing... I'll put that in the win column I think.

Christine N.
10-14-2006, 08:37 PM
I've heard a bunch of reasons for the Friday the 13th superstition, that it dates back to Biblical times, etc...

But the real story is that it was the day that the Pope decided he had enough of the Knights Templar and had them all rounded up and executed.

No, really. Look it up. It was said that Friday the 13th would forever be a 'black day'. Triskedelephobia (did I spell that right? Oh well, you know what I mean) has been around forever, but the Friday the 13th thing is just related to that unlucky day... if you were a Knight Templar.

PeeDee
10-14-2006, 09:46 PM
Friday the 13th was a lousy day for me, anyway. I had to go to the Doctor where, for the first time since I was fourteen, I got stabbed with a needle.

(it is worth mentioning here, Pete is deathly terrified of needles, has been since aforementioned fourteen years of age)

It really must have been a Friday-the-13th thing because the medication he gave me didn't even kick in until today.

Hmph. Maryn must be out to get me.

SpookyWriter
10-14-2006, 10:10 PM
(it is worth mentioning here, Pete is deathly terrified of needles, has been since aforementioned fourteen years of age)
http://www.cartoonstock.com/newscartoons/cartoonists/jko/lowres/jkon587l.jpg

PeeDee
10-14-2006, 10:15 PM
:ROFL:

THAT was my damn doctor right there!

PETE: I'm...um...look, I'm really scared of needles, okay? Is there any way you can numb the area?
DOCTOR: It doesn't really hurt, you know
PETE: It's not the pain. I've just had some very bad experiences with needles. It's a phobia. Can you numb it?
DOCTOR: ...
DOCTOR STABS ME WITH THE DAMN NEEDLE, GETS HIS BLOOD, TAKES THE NEEDLE OUT.
DOCTOR: I really can't, no.

SpookyWriter
10-14-2006, 10:22 PM
My youngest daughter (who's a freak) had to get her shots (and a blood test) for high school. She had three nurses who couldn't find the vein to draw blood and finally gave up after half an hour of trying. My daughter told them to keep trying until they find a good vein. Now that's just not right...:)

PeeDee
10-14-2006, 10:24 PM
You're right. She's insane. She can do my bloodwork for me next time. I nearly broke the poor nurse's hand... ...

samgail
10-14-2006, 11:56 PM
I give my Mom injections then I give my Dad a B-12 shot-no problem, I get a B-12 injection only if someone holds my hand and i look away. Giving blood? No way Jose, they can never get it and someone else has to come in and 'try' and i cry, everytime. I have no blood. Is that a vampire thing?

PeeDee
10-15-2006, 12:05 AM
Did I get a treat after? No.

Which was maddening, because she had this little basket full of Superman stickers and Batman stickers, both of them done by Jim Lee, both of them gorgeous...and I didn't get either one. And was much to embarassed to ASK for them... :)

Carrie in PA
10-15-2006, 12:12 AM
Did I get a treat after? No.

Which was maddening, because she had this little basket full of Superman stickers and Batman stickers, both of them done by Jim Lee, both of them gorgeous...and I didn't get either one. And was much to embarassed to ASK for them... :)

WTH? You didn't just grab a handful after the horror you'd just endured???? I would have. :tongue

arrowqueen
10-15-2006, 12:27 AM
I took my wee niece for her dental check-up, For the rest of the day I wondered why people were smiling at me - then discovered I had her 'I was good for the dentist.' sticker attached to my left boob.

I suppose it could've been worse. It might have said 'I opened wide for the dentist.'

PeeDee
10-15-2006, 12:29 AM
:ROFL:

BardSkye
10-15-2006, 03:30 AM
My youngest daughter (who's a freak) had to get her shots (and a blood test) for high school. She had three nurses who couldn't find the vein to draw blood and finally gave up after half an hour of trying. My daughter told them to keep trying until they find a good vein. Now that's just not right...:)

My dad and I have the same problem. They have to get the nurse who works on newborns and even he/she has problems unless we've first had a good long jog up and down the stairs to get up to a measurable blood pressure.

allion
10-15-2006, 04:01 AM
I think it's just the veins knowing there's a needle in their vicinity and they run for cover. I know mine do, and the vampires nurses end up jabbing me merrily until they find a suitable spot. It will take three attempts, and I usually end up bruised.

Karen

PeeDee
10-15-2006, 04:04 AM
Luckily, my "nurse" found the vein on the first stab. It's a damn good thing because the odds of me letting her get near me a second time were second to none.

It's so weird. It didn't hurt, just pinched a little. It didn't take more than ten seconds...nonetheless, it terrified me more than anything else. At the same time, the writer side of me is watching the rest of this, fascinated.

SpookyWriter
10-15-2006, 04:17 AM
Ha! Likely story. How do we know you didn't pass out and wake up ten minutes later? Huh??? Come'on tell the truth bud. :D

PeeDee
10-15-2006, 04:18 AM
All right, all right, I just stopped crying ten minutes ago....