Status
Not open for further replies.

Eveningsdawn

Just Sing.
Registered
Reaction score
How many?

'cause it, y'know, matters.

I can never remember if the corvidae counting rhyme is for crows, ravens, or magpies, but here you are.

One for sorrow
Two for mirth
Three for a wedding
Four for a birth
(alternatly:
One for sorrow
Two for joy
Three for a girl
Four for a boy)

Five for silver
Six for gold
Seven for a secret
Never to be told
Eight for heaven
Nine for hell
And ten for
The Devil's own sel'.

clearly, numbers 1, 9, and 10 are ones you want to avoid.

clockwork

In the zone...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
redzonefilm.net
Eveningsdawn said:
How many?

'cause it, y'know, matters.

I can never remember if the corvidae counting rhyme is for crows, ravens, or magpies, but here you are.

One for sorrow
Two for mirth
Three for a wedding
Four for a birth
(alternatly:
One for sorrow
Two for joy
Three for a girl
Four for a boy)

Five for silver
Six for gold
Seven for a secret
Never to be told
Eight for heaven
Nine for hell
And ten for
The Devil's own sel'.

clearly, numbers 1, 9, and 10 are ones you want to avoid.

It's magpies in the UK. On a TV show today a woman was talking about how whenever she sees a magpie she has to salute it and say, "Good morning/afternoon, Mr. Magpie."

I no longer have a television set, such are the consequences of throwing a coffee mug in its general direction.

I too patted a black cat today.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was born on a Friday the 13th. You may all shelter under my black cloak until the danger passes.

Maryn, who suspects it'll get crowded under there

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
It's ravens, not crows.

Edgar Allan Poe just wouldn't have the same ring to it..."quoth the crow"? Nah. Raven. I think they are ravens on the lawn of the Tower.

But the other day I saw an interesting sight... four vultures lined up on the roof of the K-Mart. It was weird.

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
Christine N. said:
But the other day I saw an interesting sight... four vultures lined up on the roof of the K-Mart. It was weird.

LOL! I've seen the vultures lined up in *front* of the K-Mart ...on the day after Thanksgiving!

allion

Character assassin
Registered
Reaction score
I own a black cat, so I pet him all the time. :)

I did see several vultures soaring over downtown the other day.

If it's Friday the 13th, then the bikers must be at Port Dover, even with the snow and sleet. Only one this year, and it's almost over.

Karen

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
I once heard that the 13th was only bad luck for witches. Nonetheless, I had absolutley no traffic on the way to work, and things turned out better than I'd expected today! I had a lot of good luck.

clockwork

In the zone...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
redzonefilm.net
Today was a great for me. I was off work, I did absolutely nothing... I'll put that in the win column I think.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
I've heard a bunch of reasons for the Friday the 13th superstition, that it dates back to Biblical times, etc...

But the real story is that it was the day that the Pope decided he had enough of the Knights Templar and had them all rounded up and executed.

No, really. Look it up. It was said that Friday the 13th would forever be a 'black day'. Triskedelephobia (did I spell that right? Oh well, you know what I mean) has been around forever, but the Friday the 13th thing is just related to that unlucky day... if you were a Knight Templar.

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Friday the 13th was a lousy day for me, anyway. I had to go to the Doctor where, for the first time since I was fourteen, I got stabbed with a needle.

(it is worth mentioning here, Pete is deathly terrified of needles, has been since aforementioned fourteen years of age)

It really must have been a Friday-the-13th thing because the medication he gave me didn't even kick in until today.

Hmph. Maryn must be out to get me.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
PeeDee said:
(it is worth mentioning here, Pete is deathly terrified of needles, has been since aforementioned fourteen years of age)
jkon587l.jpg

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
:ROFL:

THAT was my damn doctor right there!

PETE: I'm...um...look, I'm really scared of needles, okay? Is there any way you can numb the area?
DOCTOR: It doesn't really hurt, you know
PETE: It's not the pain. I've just had some very bad experiences with needles. It's a phobia. Can you numb it?
DOCTOR: ...
DOCTOR STABS ME WITH THE DAMN NEEDLE, GETS HIS BLOOD, TAKES THE NEEDLE OUT.
DOCTOR: I really can't, no.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
My youngest daughter (who's a freak) had to get her shots (and a blood test) for high school. She had three nurses who couldn't find the vein to draw blood and finally gave up after half an hour of trying. My daughter told them to keep trying until they find a good vein. Now that's just not right...:)

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
You're right. She's insane. She can do my bloodwork for me next time. I nearly broke the poor nurse's hand... ...

samgail

poll dancer
Registered
Reaction score
Pete, did you get a treat after?

I give my Mom injections then I give my Dad a B-12 shot-no problem, I get a B-12 injection only if someone holds my hand and i look away. Giving blood? No way Jose, they can never get it and someone else has to come in and 'try' and i cry, everytime. I have no blood. Is that a vampire thing?

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Did I get a treat after? No.

Which was maddening, because she had this little basket full of Superman stickers and Batman stickers, both of them done by Jim Lee, both of them gorgeous...and I didn't get either one. And was much to embarassed to ASK for them... :)

Carrie in PA

Write All The Words!
Registered
Reaction score
PeeDee said:
Did I get a treat after? No.

Which was maddening, because she had this little basket full of Superman stickers and Batman stickers, both of them done by Jim Lee, both of them gorgeous...and I didn't get either one. And was much to embarassed to ASK for them... :)

WTH? You didn't just grab a handful after the horror you'd just endured???? I would have. :tongue

arrowqueen

RIP, our sarky besom
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I took my wee niece for her dental check-up, For the rest of the day I wondered why people were smiling at me - then discovered I had her 'I was good for the dentist.' sticker attached to my left boob.

I suppose it could've been worse. It might have said 'I opened wide for the dentist.'

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
SpookyWriter said:
My youngest daughter (who's a freak) had to get her shots (and a blood test) for high school. She had three nurses who couldn't find the vein to draw blood and finally gave up after half an hour of trying. My daughter told them to keep trying until they find a good vein. Now that's just not right...:)

My dad and I have the same problem. They have to get the nurse who works on newborns and even he/she has problems unless we've first had a good long jog up and down the stairs to get up to a measurable blood pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.