YIPPPEE and HELP! QUICK!

AnnMB

Living in a Dream World
Registered
Reaction score
An Agent has FINALLY asked to see my work. It's a science fiction/fantasy and they have asked for the first 75 pages, plus a "good outline" for the rest. What does a "good outline" mean, exactly? Does it mean a chapter by chapter outline? Does it mean a general synopsis of where the story is going? How long is it expected to be???

Popeyesays

Now departed. Rest in peace, Scott, from all of us
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
A few sentence paragraph for each chapter, and be sure to introduce any key characters.

Regards,
Scott

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
It's just another way of saying synopsis. I would err on less rather than more. Although when my agent asked for a synopsis (think one page single spaced) along with the full...she admitted she never read the synopsis and many don't. I am of two minds - one they want to really see how the book ends and the other side...you want to make them want to read the full. Think about a back jacket blurb with enough details that the plot is revealed. Again too much can be the kiss of death...Many times you can reveal the ending and keep them guessing how the characters accomplish their misson.
Those first 75 pages are going to be what makes the deal.

Good luck

K-Mark

Philly Phanatic
Registered
Reaction score
This is the only part I hate about submitting. The dreaded synopsis. There are some good threads on this board if you have the time to search.

You seem to be pressed for time, so here is what I would do. If they ask for a short synopsis, then I send 1-3 page summary of the book (single spaced). Or if they don't specify, I usually send a chapter outline with one or two lines about each chapter. Tough call for the words "good outline". If it were me, I'd send the chapter outline.

Good luck and congrats on the request.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
It's hard to say. What do the submission guidelines say? Can you ask? An "outline" could be a chapter-by-chapter breakdown, or a general synopsis. I would say, unless the agent specifically asks for a chapter-by-chapter, you can send in a synopsis. But I could be wrong.

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
There's no harm in writing the agent a quick e-mail and asking if they have a preference, if they don't have specific information on their web site. I can't imagine someone getting upset when you're trying to personalize it for their convienence.

And if they do, then you have to ask, is this really the agent for me?

ROL

synopsis

Is there a place where I can see how a synopsis is done?
For instance a general synopsis and the chapter by chapter.
Roberta

Dollywagon

Registered
Reaction score
Funnily enough I was just linked to this page in P&E whilst reading this thread:
http://www.anotherealm.com/prededitors/pesynop.htm

It gives you a general synopsis guideline.

I would tend to go for short concise chapter breakdowns though. As somebody else said, introduce key characters and points.

ROL

How would a chapter by chapter synopsis begin? Do I simply write chapter 1, 2 ect?? Can't be that easy, can it? Also, if a publisher requests, Query also what exactly is the difference. I've been searching but can't seem to get it.

I have a publisher who asks for a) first three chapters, b) query, c) synopsis. This is my first time tackling this type of project and it seems I'm reading various posts, but can't seem to find what I'm looking for. Can someone please direct me? Thank you , Roberta

Dollywagon

Registered
Reaction score
I don't get the query bit, but she has asked for a good outline of where the story is going after the first 75 pages, so you don't need to do it from the start.
I would just take the story from where the pages end and do a short breakdown of each chapter (numbering them as I go) and give her the salient points about what happens in the story.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
I would strongly recommend you simply ask, Ann. A quick email will probably be enough. If it were me, I'd just say: "Hi! Thanks so much for the request. I'll have it off to you in the next day or two. But one question: When you say an "outline" do you mean a chapter-by-chapter outline or a narrative synopsis? I want to make sure I send you what you're looking for. Thanks!"

AnnMB

Living in a Dream World
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, all. I did send an email, and received an auto-response that says the agent will be out of the office until October 16! That puts a new spin on things--wait for a response before sending (I received the letter this past Tuesday), or take my chances and go for the Chapter Outline so he can have it by the time he returns.

It's never easy, is it?

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
AnnMB said:
Thanks, all. I did send an email, and received an auto-response that says the agent will be out of the office until October 16! That puts a new spin on things--wait for a response before sending (I received the letter this past Tuesday), or take my chances and go for the Chapter Outline so he can have it by the time he returns.

It's never easy, is it?

I'll bet in that email there was also a note about, "If something can't wait, please contact my assistant XXX and s/he'll take care of it." I'd call the assistant on the phone if there is one and simply ask what's the norm for the agent. Quick and simple and you haven't stepped on any toes. :)

AnnMB

Living in a Dream World
Registered
Reaction score
For the sake of closure, I did contact the agent by e-mail, and he did want a detailed chapter by chapter outline. He was very nice about it.

Thanks for all your advice!

HorrorWriter

It's a new dawn. It's a new day.
Registered
Reaction score
In your closet with the Boogeyman's corpse!
Exactly Justin, just what I was thinking. For all you folks that are looking for more help, Miss Snark is the best of course, but Evil Editor has some suggestions as well. Plus, there are a few agents who blog, so check them out as well!