PDA

View Full Version : Sort of a depressing question....

Project nachonaco
10-12-2006, 03:27 AM
What is a drug addiction like?

I mean, has anyone seen it firsthand?

veinglory
10-12-2006, 03:30 AM
It depends on the person and the drug--and how you define addiction?

Perks
10-12-2006, 03:31 AM
Watch Requiem For A Dream. That's a competent primer.

I know a grown man who crawled around on his hands and knees, picking up toenail clippings and smoking them on the deluded hope that it was crack.

alleycat
10-12-2006, 03:33 AM
Yep, seen it. Especially pot and cocaine. As veinglory pointed out, the effects varies with the type of drug.

You might do better to make your questions more specific.

Project nachonaco
10-12-2006, 03:37 AM
I'm talking about stuff like antidepressants, anxiety drugs, etc.....

Sassenach
10-12-2006, 04:32 AM

Are you sure? Most people who take anti-depressants aren't addicted to them. I'm not even sure it's possible to become addicted to them.

It's possible to get hooked on anti-anxiety drugs like Xanax. As others have mentioned, it would help if you're more specific.

Project nachonaco
10-12-2006, 04:34 AM
Basically, this chick is a victim of abuse, so she's sort of screwed up in the head.

Therefore, she'd abuse her pills, etc.

Project nachonaco
10-12-2006, 05:16 AM
It's cool. :)

C.bronco
10-12-2006, 05:30 AM
It's sad because you miss the person he/she used to be. It's exhausting. The addict lies, steals, does anything to feed the addiction. You want to dismiss him/her entirely, but then you see a glimmer of the person you loved and it kills you. It's up and down for years, and, if a miracle happens, the person's "hit bottom" for the eleventh time and you're completely amazed he/she is still alive, again, then sometimes life turns and the addict recovers, returns to the person you loved and admired. Then you have your friend back and it's wonderful.

WriterInChains
10-12-2006, 06:42 AM
Your mailbox is full. :)

Project nachonaco
10-12-2006, 06:46 AM
Fixed! :D

Nakhlasmoke
10-12-2006, 08:23 AM
As someone who for the last few years has been watching her family tear itself apart because of one teenage boy's addiction, I could try answer some questions. You can just pm me if you have any specific things you need to know.

Southern_girl29
10-13-2006, 09:36 AM

Anti-depressants don't really give people a high. Most of the newer ones aren't happy pills, and they don't start to work right away either. Most of the time, you have to take them for about three or four weeks before they start to work. When I was going through post-partum depression, I had hoped for a quick fix, but found out there really wasn't one. So, even if she's messed up in the head as you said, messing around with anti-depressants isn't going to give her a quick high.

From what I've read, some of the anti-depressants are habit forming, but it isn't like being addicted to cocaine. You'll just feel like total cr*p until you take it, but from what I've read, you won't be committing a crime to get it. That's why doctors tell you to wean yourself off of them slowly.

Talia
10-14-2006, 12:50 PM
This is a weird question. If you want to talk about an addiction to pills then painkillers such as vicodin or barbituates are more likely drugs

Antidepressants aren't addictive, but there can be unpleasant withdrawal. Withdrawal from antianxiety pills can also be a problem.

I suggest you google mood uppers and downers, as it seems this is more appropriate to your character/friend

JudiB
10-19-2006, 05:13 PM
I have worked as an addiction counselor for over 10 years (mental health/illness as well). Your question depends on numerous things: type of med, length of time on drug, what kind of character(s) will be affected by this... PM or email (if I have that in my bio) if you want to "talk" more.
JudiB

Del
10-19-2006, 10:57 PM
Then on the simplistic side, I've seen addiction defined as "pursuance of the substance to the neglect of all else". Substance abuse is a conscious administration for the purpose of avoiding something else, I would think something emotional.

If this is a real concern (and not character development) you need to look beyond the act and seek the cause. Aggression isn't going to help but love might. Although, any intervention will be initially resented.

bwrite1
10-27-2006, 12:42 AM
What is a drug addiction like?

I mean, has anyone seen it firsthand?
I am a formerly certified (and certifiable!) mental health and addictions therapist. Antidepressants are NOT addicting. However, abruptly stopping the newer ones called serotonin reuptake inhibitors can result in a very unpleasant withdrawal syndrome called serotonin syndrome (how apt!).

Likewise, tranquilizers and even pain-killers are not addicting in and of themselves, though physical dependency may result.

The definition of addiction versus dependency is that addiction involves drug-seeking behavior. Thus if one abuses a prescription drug one may be considered addicted, IF there is also a physical dependency. However, physical dependency by itsel is not addiction.

Even a lot of MDs don't understand this. I have spent a lot of time trying to explain.

I hope this helps. If what you really need is a description of drug-seeking behavior or withdrawal symptoms, I suggest talking to anyone at AA or NA.