Beta Blogger--New Look

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
I just did the tranformation into beta blogger. It was easy, though I lost content in the template. Fortunately, it saved the other template and it was easy to cut and paste what I lost.

In beta, it's really easy to change around your colors and fonts. I used to have the black background with white letters template.

Look at me now: http://www.standingrule.blogspot.com/

Better? Worse?

Who else has made the switch? Any problems?

Talia

Contract Killer
Registered
Reaction score
I made the switch and found it pretty easy to change things on the page. I like it - it's pretty good.

Greasy Spoon

Registered
Reaction score
I made the switch awhile ago too, and generally I'm liking it. I do have problems logging in with FireFox, but I just work around that by using Explorer (*sigh*).

I am a little dissappointed there's no easy way to organize your list of labels into sub-categories or anything. The ability to label/categorize/organize posts by topic was the big reason I was interested in the Beta, so I would have liked more flexibility.

Still, otherwise, so far so good. :)

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
someplace around here, anyone seen my keys?
Made the switch - some issues but nothing earth shaking or unfixable (in my template at least). I'm not entirely sure of my actual user name - is it my main gmail ID complete with "@gmail.com"? I've lost my "blog this" feature - probably some other stuff.

Hope the improvements ahead are worth the hiccoughs now.

Deleted member 42

Dawno the Blog this thingie is just javascript; worse case you'll just have to change the URL it has inside, though I expect when the Beta goes Gold BLogger/Google will provide a new one.

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just javascript she says. You know I'm putting off reading the several books I got about that very topic ;)

I can only hope. I really loved my Blog This. Saved stuff to draft and then decided later if I wanted to blog about it, consolidate a bunch of them into one post or just delete.

ETA: Rob - I like the look! Very clean, easy to read. Better than the old template.

Last edited:

Talia

Contract Killer
Registered
Reaction score
Dawn your user name is your full email address.

It's a bit of a pain in the neck. It doesn't recognise it so you have to log in every time. Also if you go to comment on someone's blog on the old version you have to go to another page to log in (if not already logged in) and lose your comments unless you copy them first.

Yes I agree categories and sub categories for the tags would be great. I'm still sorting out a master list for them and will sort it out manually. Overall I am happy with my blog. I need to change the top from a plain coloured bar. I have plans to put a nice picture there and a couple of things and tie it all into my website but overall, nice and easy to use. Most of the bugs seem to be gone now but I get an occasional hiccup

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks TaliaMana! That may explain why I couldn't get YouTube to recognize my blog in their "post a video clip to your blog" feature.

I use Technorati tags, not sure I want to try and remember two different tagging systems - I don't aways remember to do the Technorati ones!

oswann

Grumpy
Registered
Reaction score
In some smarty pants place like everyone else writ
I was about to leave a message on your blog to say something about the new look. I like it. The white text on black background was a little hard on the eyes, as much as it looked funky. Now the only headaches I get are from trying to get my little brain around your ideas. Keep it up Rob.

Os.