How far is too far...questions answered. (ancient thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cree

Registered
Reaction score
Although the format is hard to read, I found it interesting. Some random thoughts: things in the industry change as fast as teens change hairstyles and socks, and this conversation is pretty old, by that measure. And while the points they make are reasonably valid, we need to remember they are the opinion of a few people, and really don't answer the age-old question of "how much is too much".
I don't worry about that issue, though I know a lot of writers do. But the bottom line is "how much is too much" is a philosophical debate, and not one with basic, agreed-upon answers.
Thanks for the link!

TwentyFour

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Your most welcome, I found it interesting too. As the years change, so do the books and what is acceptable. I guess it goes with the publisher and the authors...just which makes up the rules? I would say the readers do. I was a teen who read adult material from Stephen King, while my friends read Nancy Drew or some other kiddy type YA novel. I always told them I was more advanced and had a better understanding of the adult world...lol. I think I was off but had a good time reading those horror novels.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was the weird kid who read both Nancy Drew and Stephen King. I think there is still a place and a market for books that don't rely on swearing and violence to tell a story. At least I hope so. I'm kind of tired of "issue" and "problem" books. I just want to tell good stories that I hope people will enjoy.

ohthatmomagain

writing, working, weeping, winning
Registered
Reaction score
In a world with sparkling Vampires, does too far truly exist anymore?

Well, there is that...

I think 'too much' is a personal choice. I think that some books go 'too far', but it's my choice to not read them if they go against things I don't want to read about.

Last edited:

Kate Monster

Prophecy Girl
Registered
Reaction score
This link is now dead, so this post should probably be unstickied (unlightbulbed?)...

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
The OP adds the little symbols, and it is not stickied. However, since the link is broken, I'll close the thread

Status
Not open for further replies.