Author's role in promotion/marketing (from the Capri thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Just trying to move this topic to a better area:

last post from the Capri thread:--

LloydBrown said:
You're right. The author has the responsibility to turn in the best manuscript he can. Beyond that, it's up to the publisher.

But that's going off-topic. Let's say you do a truly heroic job of promoting your book and 3,000 people want to go buy it. They go to their local bookstore, where they meet with disappointment because it's not there. Then most of them buy another book and go home.

A fraction of those customers attempt to special-order it, only to find the bookstore doesn't won't order it. You lose another fraction of those potential sales.

Some readers go home and look for your book online, where they might or might not buy it after they get over their sticker shock. When they get it, they might be disappointed at the POD quality, which will make selling that next book to them all the more difficult.

Hence the reason why the average number of sales for self-published books and others in the same camp (POD, no distribution, no/poor editing, etc.) sell fewer than 100 copies, despite all the author's noise and desire.

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
I'll repeat my post here and delete the one on the Capri thread:

Originally Posted by James D. Macdonald
On the other hand, there's a reason why "reclusive author" is well-known term. There are some authors who should be kept locked away from the public. And even if I were to visit every bookstore in driving range of my house, and convince the managers of all of them that I'm a swell fellow, in terms of percent sales I suspect that it isn't much if it's measurable at all.

Most author-based promotion is to give the poor fellow something to do with his hands to keep from fidgeting to death.

What you say about authors and promotion seems to contradict what Jenny Bent said in the "Ask Jenny Bent" thread.

Originally Posted by DeadlyAccurate
What sort of things are writers expected to do regarding self-promotion when they have a publisher and/or agent? I can't imagine what I could do, especially as an unknown author, that would amount to any significant increase in sales.

Originally Posted by Jenny Bent
Go directly to my website and read WHAT TO EXPECT WHEN YOU'RE GETTING PUBLISHED to disabuse yourself of the idea that 1. agents promote books once they are published and 2. publishers do a good job promoting books.

There are many, many good books and websites out there which explain how you can promote your book. I think Rick Frish has written several. Basically, you want a great website which attracts a lot of traffic and has good information which is regularly updated, and you want to get friendly with every bookseller within a 100 mile (give or take 99 miles) in your area. Signing stock all over the DC area, and convincing booksellers to carry his book put my author Michael Farquhar on the Washington Post bestseller list for months.

I am not a salesperson, not even a little bit (I couldn't even sell Girl Scout cookies as a child,) and I would much rather leave the sales of my book to someone else while I keep writing. But Jenny seems to be saying that I should expect to start chatting up booksellers in the DFW area once I have books to sell.

I don't even want to do book signings, though I will.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I think I agree in principle with the "leave it to the publisher" approach. The biggest difference I see in my own small sales are caused by which publisher the book is with--and I have seen publishers push promo at authors quite aggressively as an explanation for low sales, without disclosing that their sales are actually normal for that press.

That said, if you are relatively small and e-press like me, a fairly simple promotion can get get 20 sales and pay the phone bill for the month.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Leave distribution/selling to the publisher. Yes, it will be great if people can actually find your book in stores or online, so they can buy it. But it's the publisher's job to make the book available.

You can only sell so many books yourself out of your own car or doing book signings. The idea is not to sell the book, but to make people aware of it. Leave the selling to your publisher.

I can speak from my experience that my publisher sold WAY more books than I personal did or could. And I am not complaining. And now they have distribution, things will even be better.

That said, how are people going to know you exist? That's when author's promotion/marketing is important, especially at the local level.

Get yourself out there, talk about your book, do appearances, talks, radios, TV, magazine articles, talk to people, do book signings, etc. Get your name out there. You may only sell 20 books at a signing at your local store -- big deal, right? But those 20 people have now heard of you, and if they like your book, they will tell others, and they will know where to find it (make sure the store has some "signed copies" in stock). And words spread.

Get things published, too. Every time I get published (essays, short stories, reviews, etc.) it's linked to my book and my website. Will everyone notice and click on it and buy the book? No. But it's like advertising -- it's the persistent presence that makes it work, eventually.

Online communities such as AW is also a good place to be. I am not talking about drive-by promotions. But actually being part of the community. People get to know who you are, and they like what you have to say, and they're more likely to buy your book(s) even simply out of being supportive.

That's the kind of promotions you want to do, and not door-to-door selling. People are not going to buy your book if they have never heard of you. People are still not going to buy your book if they've just heard of you. But awareness can be long-lasting, and who knows? Eight months later, that person may hear your name again and say, "Guess what, I am going to get that book and find out."

That has happened to me.

But Llyod is right, too. Even if you promote yourself and your book, people won't be able to get it if it's not readily available in stores or online with significant discounts. That's why author's promotion alone is not good enough. Distribution is very important, but that's the publisher's job.

But to say, "Leave everything to the publisher" would be a mistake. After the book is published, the author and the publisher still need to work together to make sure that the book is out there, and people know about it.

Last edited:

LloydBrown

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lloydwrites.com
veinglory said:
That said, if you are relatively small and e-press like me, a fairly simple promotion can get get 20 sales and pay the phone bill for the month.

Or you could write a magazine article and sell it for the first time. Then you could revise and/or re-sell it to other markets for more return on your time. If tens of sales (and the resulting tens of dollars) are what you're after, hitting the pavement is a poor way to do it.

And if the article supports your book's topic, it's a far better method of self-promotion than doing another book-signing.

Status
Not open for further replies.