PDA

View Full Version : This is fashon????

writerterri
10-11-2006, 09:51 AM
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j83/writerterri/th_Fashon-1.jpg (http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j83/writerterri/Fashon-1.jpg)
(click on thumbnail then widen frame)

I thought if I clicked on the picture they would talk about how sick she looks, but no, they talked about the designer!

HUH!!!

mdin
10-11-2006, 09:55 AM
I clicked on the picture, and it takes me to the photobucket file.

But I think she's pretty hot, though she needs to tone up a bit before she can really make a splash. Maybe lose a couple pounds. Look at how fat her arms are.

A. Hamilton
10-11-2006, 10:02 AM
whoa, where did you find that?

gag!

writerterri
10-11-2006, 10:06 AM
I clicked on the picture, and it takes me to the photobucket file.

But I think she's pretty hot, though she needs to tone up a bit before she can really make a splash. Maybe lose a couple pounds. Look at how fat her arms are.

It's just a larger picture so you can get up close and personal with her.

She looks like she wants to eat.

writerterri
10-11-2006, 10:08 AM
whoa, where did you find that?

gag!

Yahoo's most email pictures off my front page. I clicked on it and it took me to a fashon show of the designer's other dresses. The other models didn't look like her. She looks sick. This model was the featured one! OMGosh! What are they thinking?

writerterri
10-11-2006, 10:12 AM
Story

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=1756&e=2&u=/061007/ids_photos_en/r1556750300.jpg

That's all there is.

Southern_girl29
10-11-2006, 10:17 AM
Ugh. Is this what models aspire to look like? She looks like the wind would snap her in two.

oswann
10-11-2006, 10:23 AM
Or as my father used to say "she'd need to walk around in the shower to get wet".

Os.

PattiTheWicked
10-11-2006, 04:40 PM
I'm so glad that my husband likes a woman with a little bit of curviness. He saw a clip on VH1 the other night with an underfed-looking Kiera Knightley. He looked at me and said, "It would be like having sex with a popsicle stick."

aadams73
10-11-2006, 04:43 PM
Someone feed her a hamburger or ten!

Nothing wrong with being thin, but this just looks unhealthy.

Maryn
10-11-2006, 04:50 PM
I'm so glad that my husband likes a woman with a little bit of curviness. He saw a clip on VH1 the other night with an underfed-looking Kiera Knightley. He looked at me and said, "It would be like having sex with a popsicle stick."My husband calls them lollipop women--big head, stick body. He's less tactful than yours, Patti--he says it would be like having sex with a teenage boy. With cancer.

Maryn, who agrees she looks ill

Jaycinth
10-11-2006, 05:12 PM
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j83/writerterri/th_Fashon-1.jpg (http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j83/writerterri/Fashon-1.jpg)
(click on thumbnail then widen frame)

I thought if I clicked on the picture they would talk about how sick she looks, but no, they talked about the designer!

HUH!!!

....so zombies are real, then....

Nakhlasmoke
10-11-2006, 05:16 PM
This is very sad. People die to look like this, and yet the fashion rags still promote it. Why can't we have athletes model clothes? There's something better to aim for, anyway.

PattiTheWicked
10-11-2006, 05:29 PM
Better yet, why not have "average" people model clothes? Or at least people who look like they eat. Give me Kate Winslet any day over scrawny waif-chicks.

Kate Thornton
10-11-2006, 05:37 PM
That poor girl looks like a war refugee.

I don't think it's healthy -or funny - for fashion to make fun of or promote starvation or the appearance of starvation. There's a lot of hunger in this world - this kind of "fashion" somehow makes me think that hunger is okay. And that's *not* okay.

Thank, Terri - we need to see stuff like this to put real hunger into perspective.

Kate - who eats very well and shows it - but who also shares.

Bravo
10-11-2006, 05:57 PM
strange.

she mustve slipped thru the cracks, b/c the french have banned thin models.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/europe/09/13/spain.models/index.html

aadams73
10-11-2006, 05:58 PM
Better yet, why not have "average" people model clothes? Or at least people who look like they eat. Give me Kate Winslet any day over scrawny waif-chicks.

Yeah, I want to see more normal and healthy.

Bravo
10-11-2006, 06:01 PM

no.

i agree that this model is way too skinny.

but if you want average ppl to model clothes just walk down main st.

dont change the system; it's perfect.

trust me.

:)

Unique
10-11-2006, 06:04 PM
They could have gone to Ethiopia or the Sudan and gotten the real deal.

The people there could have used the money. (To get something to eat)

Bravo
10-11-2006, 06:11 PM
i feel as if there's a real anti-model bigotry rising in this country and evident in these forums.

its ugly.

id fight for them, but i have to go puke out my breakfast 1st.

Unique
10-11-2006, 06:13 PM

Don't waste it on the ground; let one of them have it.

clockwork
10-11-2006, 06:45 PM
This woman needs United Nations relief support.

cree
10-11-2006, 06:48 PM
Society told her she needed to look like this to be successful.
So there you go.

PattiTheWicked
10-11-2006, 07:00 PM
Well, and that's the thing, isn't it? Everyone complains about the prevalence of eating disorders in Hollywood and such, but until they start making movies with average sized people in them, the message rings false.

When was the last time you saw a size-10 girl as anything other than The Fat and Funny Best Friend?

samgail
10-11-2006, 07:03 PM
strange.

she mustve slipped thru the cracks, b/c the french have banned thin models.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/europe/09/13/spain.models/index.html

Unfortunately this was only in Madrid and the fashion people were outraged-

"I think its outrageous, I understand they want to set this tone of healthy beautiful women, but what about discrimination against the model and what about the freedom of the designer," said Gould, Elite's North America director, adding that the move could harm careers of naturally "gazelle-like" models.

So sad

Lyra Jean
10-11-2006, 07:42 PM
Does this model suffer from hyper-thyroidism? If not she is not a natural gazelle-like model. She's starving herself.

NeuroFizz
10-11-2006, 08:08 PM
She's human jerky. Take it both ways.

RJLeahy
10-11-2006, 08:20 PM
Meow.

OK, now let's have someone put up a picture of a fat girl and we can get all snarky over her too!

Carrie in PA
10-11-2006, 08:21 PM
Wow! That's the same outfit I wore to the grocery store yesterday.

:roll:

aadams73
10-11-2006, 08:26 PM
Meow.

OK, now let's have someone put up a picture of a fat girl and we can get all snarky over her too!

It's not about being snarky, it's about being unhealthy if you're at either end of the spectrum. It shouldn't be unfashionable to be a healthy weight with a fit body.

RJLeahy
10-11-2006, 08:36 PM
It's not about being snarky, it's about being unhealthy if you're at either end of the spectrum. It shouldn't be unfashionable to be a healthy weight with a fit body.

And yet, you just assume she's unhealthy. Sorry folks, but I married a woman who happened to be very thin (not much heavier than this woman). She was also active, intelligent and ate the same as I did. Some people are just born this way. In my life I've found that heavy women are much more antagonistic and just plain angry at thin women, the is true of the opposite.

ATP
10-11-2006, 08:40 PM
Recently, a waif-like model died of a heart-attack on the catwalk or shortly after (the exact details escape me). In reaction, the UK Government has called for a ban on such models. But, the fashion masters and modelling agencies have been strangely silent on the affair and the aftermath.

It is a pretty f**ked world at that level, and and many, many of them induldge in cocaine and other assorted illicit drugs, from what I am led to believe. That is their choice, but it is a problem of the thin coathanger models being that way because many other women customers want them to be that way. Or so one of the fashion masters implied some weeks ago.
I think the young model who died was Spanish working in the UK.

You can find the story via Google.

writerterri
10-11-2006, 08:41 PM
i feel as if there's a real anti-model bigotry rising in this country and evident in these forums.

its ugly.

Doh!

Bravo
10-11-2006, 08:46 PM
. In my life I've found that heavy women are much more antagonistic and just plain angry at thin women, the is true of the opposite.

clearly you never went to high school.

writerterri
10-11-2006, 08:47 PM
And yet, you just assume she's unhealthy. Sorry folks, but I married a woman who happened to be very thin (not much heavier than this woman). She was also active, intelligent and ate the same as I did. Some people are just born this way. In my life I've found that heavy women are much more antagonistic and just plain angry at thin women, the is true of the opposite.

RJ- this "model" is unhealthy. You can see it by looking at her. This has nothing to with being angry at thin women. You've been listening to your wife too much, and rightly so, she's your wife. But her opinion of the world isn't everybody's opinion of thin women.

RJLeahy
10-11-2006, 08:48 PM
clearly you never went to high school.

Maybe the difference is, I graduated.

RJLeahy
10-11-2006, 08:51 PM
RJ- this "model" is unhealthy. You can see it by looking at her. This has nothing to with being angry at thin women. You've been listening to your wife too much, and rightly so, she's your wife. But her opinion of the world isn't everybody's opinion of thin women.

But yours is? I do love the way you are able to diagnose health simply by looking at a picture. Ever think of running for Senator of Maryland?

Bravo
10-11-2006, 08:51 PM
Maybe the difference is, I graduated.

cute and maybe even funny, but contradictory to your original statement:

In my life I've found that heavy women are much more antagonistic and just plain angry at thin women, the is true of the opposite.

youre honestly telling me you havent seen fat kids picked on at school?

cree
10-11-2006, 08:52 PM

I am extremely thin (I like to say, athletic, ha!) and it's just genetics -- my whole family has the same body type. I agree with your comment about anger at the thin. I almost feel apologetic when someone snarks at me -and it happens all the time (Oh, like you're going to buy eight boxes of girl scout cookies, oh look, she's eating a cheeseburger with mayo, if I did that I'd gain twelve pounds...as a teenager it made me become secretive about eating. I had no eating disorder, just the snarkiness of people analyzing my eating made me soooo self-concious, I ate in secret to avoid it). So, I can only IMAGINE the snarkiness against overweight people, and how it impacts their ego.
No one body type should not be held up as the "model" because for those who don't have the genetics, it's a ridiculous, mean-spirited, foolish activity, and have you ever hung out with someone who is always hungry? Man, talk about mean.
Going to make a cheeseburger now.

aadams73
10-11-2006, 08:55 PM
I am extremely thin (I like to say, athletic, ha!) and it's just genetics -- my whole family has the same body type. I agree with your comment about anger at the thin. I almost feel apologetic when someone snarks at me -and it happens all the time

My sister is that way, but looking at her(and I bet at you too) you can tell it comes naturally. I think there's a really different look to a person who has to starve(and maybe resort to other means)to maintain such a low body weight.

Look at Keira Knightly--stick thin, but you can see she's a healthy girl and her folks are the same way. Now take Kate Bosworth--she has lost so much weight lately that she looks like just escaped from an interrnement camp. She looks awful.

RJLeahy
10-11-2006, 08:56 PM
cute and maybe even funny, but contradictory to your original statement:

youre honestly telling me you havent seen fat kids picked on at school?

I am many, many years removed from high school, but as I recall there were all sorts of reasons kids were picked on--red hair was one such sin, as I recall. Give it time. Youll find that being picked on in school is hardly the world-ending event it seems now.

Bravo
10-11-2006, 08:57 PM
any1 who's been in the fashion industry or been around ppl who are in it, knows what goes on behind the scenes and the extreme pressure to be thin.

Bravo
10-11-2006, 08:58 PM
I am many, many years removed from high school, but as I recall there were all sorts of reasons kids were picked on--red hair was one such sin, as I recall.

lol.

just answer the question.

have you ever seen fat kids picked on in HS?

just a simple question.

maybe you havent.

that's okay too.

cree
10-11-2006, 09:05 PM
lol.

just answer the question.

have you ever seen fat kids picked on in HS?

just a simple question.

maybe you havent.

that's okay too.
You didn't ask me, but I'll answer anyhow -- of course!
But who isn't picked on in high school? Heck, you get picked on if the shade of your denim jeans isn't the fashionable shade of the day. You get picked on if one of your molars is crooked. You get picked on if your aunt's cousin's brother-in-law was spotted renting Purple Rain at the local video store. Right?

High school ends, for those who survive it.
Fat girls get picked on, Skinny girls get picked on....so I'm not sure what the picked on point is?

writerterri
10-11-2006, 09:06 PM
I am extremely thin (I like to say, athletic, ha!) and it's just genetics -- my whole family has the same body type. I agree with your comment about anger at the thin. I almost feel apologetic when someone snarks at me -and it happens all the time (Oh, like you're going to buy eight boxes of girl scout cookies, oh look, she's eating a cheeseburger with mayo, if I did that I'd gain twelve pounds...as a teenager it made me become secretive about eating. I had no eating disorder, just the snarkiness of people analyzing my eating made me soooo self-concious, I ate in secret to avoid it). So, I can only IMAGINE the snarkiness against overweight people, and how it impacts their ego.
No one body type should not be held up as the "model" because for those who don't have the genetics, it's a ridiculous, mean-spirited, foolish activity, and have you ever hung out with someone who is always hungry? Man, talk about mean.
Going to make a cheeseburger now.

That's sad, cause I've never been angry at a thin person just because they're thin. I'm sorry you have to go through that.

RJLeahy
10-11-2006, 09:07 PM
Sorry Cree, I didn't answer because of the tone of the question:

Just answer the question.

Sorry son, but when exactly do you think I started working for you?

writerterri
10-11-2006, 09:10 PM
But yours is? I do love the way you are able to diagnose health simply by looking at a picture. Ever think of running for Senator of Maryland?

Well, the bottome line for me is that I didn't post this because I was mad at her for being thin.

PS. I'm very intuitive. Very. I can diagnose you too and I'm only looking at your words. hmm!

Bravo
10-11-2006, 09:14 PM
You didn't ask me, but I'll answer anyhow -- of course!
But who isn't picked on in high school? Heck, you get picked on if the shade of your denim jeans isn't the fashionable shade of the day. You get picked on if one of your molars is crooked. You get picked on if your aunt's cousin's brother-in-law was spotted renting Purple Rain at the local video store. Right?

High school ends, for those who survive it.
Fat girls get picked on, Skinny girls get picked on....so I'm not sure what the picked on point is?

i gotta say in my experience, the fat/obese kids got the most crap from HS kids. they were the biggest target.

RJLeahy declared that he didnt really see thin girls picking on fat girls, only the reverse.

i thought it was a silly statement and i flippantly said that he must never have gone to HS.

RJ is attempting to fight stereotypes against thin ppl by stereotyping fat ppl.

Bravo
10-11-2006, 09:15 PM
Sorry son, but when exactly do you think I started working for you?

the day you had a patronizing and condescending tone towards me.

Peggy
10-11-2006, 09:16 PM
It's pretty clear why that model was picked for that particular outfit - on a woman with breasts it would be very "hoochy mamma". That's what disturbs me the most about the fashion industry - not that they use naturally tall, very thin and breastless women. It's that that is the ONLY type of model they use.

Confession: I've been watching Project Runway this season. One of the tasks was to design for the mothers/sisters of the other contestants. It turns out that most of them had no idea what looked good on a regular, ordinary woman (especially those who were plus-sized).

Kate Thornton
10-11-2006, 09:18 PM
Perpetuating the nonsense that anorexic is attractive and the more extreme (as in Terri's original post photo) the better, is harmful.

A healthy (for the individual) weight is much to be desired - but the photo Terri posted shows a skeletal caricature of a person. How about a healthy moderately athletic ideal our young girls can emulate?

cree
10-11-2006, 09:22 PM
...but back to the model....she looks so sad. The waif-models always look sad to me.
I can't imagine what their lives are like, but I would rather hang out and shoot the breeze over a bundt cake with a healthy woman any day. Hunger affects the personality so much, and she clearly is starving herself.
You can see it in her face.
I just want to hug her and give her some chicken noodle soup and talk about anything but how society has made her what she is. Because even if we talk to our teens girls about stuff like this, they see what still passes as "beautiful" and that, that is a serious disservice.

Once again, cree has an anti-society opinion but no way to change society...it's hard to be me. LOL!

Mom'sWrite
10-11-2006, 09:23 PM
When I look at that picture, the part of the image that upsets me more than her overly thin body (that dress is just hanging on her and it looks awful) is that her expression is one of hatred and anger.

My girls see these models bearing expressions of disdain/hate/anger/boredom and they start to believe that in order to look nice they must wear these same expressions. I can stand the thinness (I was always thin until 40 ran me over and my oldest girl has my same body type) but I can't abide the negative/hateful vibe these girls are throwing out there. (/rant)

cree
10-11-2006, 09:36 PM
..amd another thing...even though these models look like this, do you know how hard it is to go regular shopping when you are 5'9 and skinny? My orangatuan arms hang beyond the length of every shirt in the store. Yeah, everything in small sizes doesn't come in Long. So skinny-tall fashion must be for the runway only, because it sure doesn't help my life. :)

Not that I'd be caught dead wearing what that model is wearing to pick up the kids from school. Ha!

writerterri
10-11-2006, 09:42 PM
...but back to the model....she looks so sad. The waif-models always look sad to me.
I can't imagine what their lives are like, but I would rather hang out and shoot the breeze over a bundt cake with a healthy woman any day. Hunger affects the personality so much, and she clearly is starving herself.
You can see it in her face.
I just want to hug her and give her some chicken noodle soup and talk about anything but how society has made her what she is. Because even if we talk to our teens girls about stuff like this, they see what still passes as "beautiful" and that, that is a serious disservice.

Once again, cree has an anti-society opinion but no way to change society...it's hard to be me. LOL!

I'm with you on that, the poor little thing. The other models looked so healthy that were wearing his clothing. Let's do a chicken soup intervention.

zarch
10-11-2006, 09:50 PM

Why is this little boy wearing a dress?

dclary
10-11-2006, 09:50 PM
I'm so glad that my husband likes a woman with a little bit of curviness. He saw a clip on VH1 the other night with an underfed-looking Kiera Knightley. He looked at me and said, "It would be like having sex with a popsicle stick."

I would so have sex with that popsicle stick.

cree
10-11-2006, 09:52 PM
I would so have sex with that popsicle stick.
Please take her out to dinner first. Insist on dessert.
I believe women who just had a fabulous dessert are much better in bed.

writerterri
10-11-2006, 10:02 PM
You guys are SICK!

cree
10-11-2006, 10:04 PM
You guys are SICK!

LOL! I just want to get her fed. As for clary's motives....ummm...

dpaterso
10-11-2006, 10:06 PM
I don't believe I could become aroused if I were stuck alone on a desert island with that twiglet for ten years. The palm trees would get more action from me despite the danger of falling coconuts. I'm proud to say I only surf porn sites featuring big-bottomed ladies.

-Derek
My Web Page - naked women, bestial sex, and whopping big lies. (http://hometown.aol.co.uk/DPaterson57)
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.

writerterri
10-11-2006, 10:15 PM
Where'd RJ go, he owes me 5 cents for that diagnosis.

jbal
10-11-2006, 10:17 PM
LOL! I just want to get her fed. As for clary's motives....ummm...
clary was talking about Keira Knightley. I got his back.

cree
10-11-2006, 10:18 PM
Aha! (Take her out to dinner, too) :)

writerterri
10-11-2006, 10:18 PM

*slaps image out of head*

jbal
10-11-2006, 10:23 PM
oops, I may not have meant that the way it probably sounded.

writerterri
10-11-2006, 10:30 PM
Like I told my last boyfriend, 'It's not you, it's me. Really.'

cree
10-11-2006, 10:36 PM
oops, I may not have meant that the way it probably sounded.
Sounded like you are innocently fishing for a free dinner on clary's tab.

jbal
10-11-2006, 10:44 PM
Sounded like you are innocently fishing for a free dinner on clary's tab.
Innocently? yep, it's not just pm's any more.

sassandgroove
10-11-2006, 11:50 PM
Well, and that's the thing, isn't it? Everyone complains about the prevalence of eating disorders in Hollywood and such, but until they start making movies with average sized people in them, the message rings false.

When was the last time you saw a size-10 girl as anything other than The Fat and Funny Best Friend?
I wasn't size 10 when I was 10.

sassandgroove
10-11-2006, 11:52 PM
And yet, you just assume she's unhealthy. Sorry folks, but I married a woman who happened to be very thin (not much heavier than this woman). She was also active, intelligent and ate the same as I did. Some people are just born this way.
YOu can see her ribs. That can't be natural. (ETA) Your wife probably looks good thin since she is thin naturally. But when a person starves themselves they look like this model. I am not hostile to the girl, I am sad for the girl. As for naturally skinny women, good on them!

In my life I've found that heavy women are much more antagonistic and just plain angry at thin women, the is true of the opposite.
Excuse me? What heavy women do you know? The only person I am hard on is me. The thin women that are my friends and I get along just fine. They're the ones who tell me I am pretty as I am. What bugs me is when a thin person insists they are fat, meanwhile saying I am not. Don't lie to me. The problem is the skewed self images we have. There are many many beautiful people who berate and harm themselves when it is not needed.

ETA: And don't get me started on hostility towards me for being fat from thin people. But I am bigger than those people. (Pun intended. :D)

dclary
10-12-2006, 12:44 AM
Aha! (Take her out to dinner, too) :)

I would gladly take Keira out to dinner. And dessert. And hot fat-monkey sex afterward.

Even with Jbal hanging out to make sure I'm ok. I'd probably not be able to satisfy such a fantastic woman, what with being a little quick on the trigger when I get excitable, so to speak, so it's good to know he can finish the job for me.

Wingman!

cree
10-12-2006, 12:49 AM
I would gladly take Keira out to dinner. And dessert. And hot fat-monkey sex afterward.

Even with Jbal hanging out to make sure I'm ok. I'd probably not be able to satisfy such a fantastic woman, what with being a little quick on the trigger when I get excitable, so to speak, so it's good to know he can finish the job for me.

Wingman!

Take a woman's advice -- don't put that in your personal ad. :)

dclary
10-12-2006, 12:56 AM
Take a woman's advice -- don't put that in your personal ad. :)

Thank you. My personal ad reads like this (we should make this a thread of its own.... ah hell, I will..a.zs.a33m,am

/thread hijack averted

GPatten
10-12-2006, 04:47 AM
Models are supposed to be dressed in famine clothes, shapely, nice legs, and pretty. Instead, they look like they’re dressed in used carpets, ugly as hell, and have angry scowls pasted on their faces, some have hair that look bad on dogs. That’s what I see all the time when they are shown on TV.

I know a former model that was a knockout in her days of modeling. I made a visit to see her in Manhattan and at her age past sixty, she was better looking then some of them now days.

Rachael
10-16-2006, 07:27 AM
thanks for the news link, whoever posted it-- I'm posting it on my eating disorder forum. I *told* the ana people I thought fishbone ribs were disgusting... now I have proof.

Rachel, glad to be a recovering mia.

writerterri
10-16-2006, 08:43 AM
thanks for the news link, whoever posted it-- I'm posting it on my eating disorder forum. I *told* the ana people I thought fishbone ribs were disgusting... now I have proof.

Rachel, glad to be a recovering mia.

Hi Rach!

Nice to see you!

rhymegirl
10-16-2006, 02:52 PM
Was there a picture of a woman in the original post?

Oh, you meant that skeleton.

Nicholas S.H.J.M Woodhouse
10-16-2006, 03:15 PM
out of the women i've dated about 70% have told me they have an 'eating disorder'. anorexia, etc. once i found one of them being sick in the loo and it breaks your heart to be in love with someone who just doesn't even like themselves.
i think it can be down to a kind of carrot and stick phenomenon that pretty much everyone goes through in society. you know, like do this and you'll get the reward/the carrot.
maybe its about control. we have so little control over so many things, self-control can become a fetish. sometimes its about family pressures and what your parents tell you is important.
i dunno, maybe we're all chasing carrots and we just don't know it...

DamaNegra
10-16-2006, 03:17 PM
That woman just looks plain sick. I know people who are so thin I can almost wrap my fingers around their waists, but their bones aren't showing and their face isn't sullen and their fingers don't look like bones covered in something pale and papery.

Then again, there's me. I used to be fat when I was younger, and many people picked on me because of that (not to make fun of, but to point out I was fat and needed to lose weigh, it was mainly family). Then, I began doing exercise and I'm losing weigh like mad. I'm now fairly thin, even though I'm the type of person who eats a large pizza by herself every now and then and whose servings equal the ones of two or three people. And I'm still thin and getting thinner.

But those models... I'm not angry at them. I don't want to be like them, sometimes I look at myself in the mirror and panic that I may lose so much weight I may end up looking like them. So that's why I eat and exercise, so my skin doesn't hang from my bones. Actually, I've got a decent amount of muscle now.

It's really sad that some people think that unhealthy=beautiful. In my book, unhealthy=unhealthy, and health is the most important thing we have in our lives.

Aubrey
10-16-2006, 06:59 PM
If that model were in her underwear I'd have no reason not to believe the picture was taken by a doctor before she went into the hospital to be put on fluids. There's no way she couldn't be anorexic. She's gaunt to the point of having no body fat, even in her breasts (or where they once were), her face has the appearence of never smiling (no food=no seratonin), and her hair is very dry. And no one come back at me with the "some people are just naturally thin" line, because I am naturally thin and I don't look that bad. Even those who are naturally thin to the point of scrawny don't look as bad as this woman. I highly doubt she'll be around a year from now, or even a few months from now, unless someone gets her treatment and soon.

bookgeek
10-16-2006, 07:57 PM
*Runs in to drop her 2 cents into the topic bucket*

Just speaking from an American viewpoint: I think the picture in the original post and the ensuing conversation (should "conversation" be plural?) are good examples of just how effed up our culture is. I can't tell you how many times a day I get pissed off (okay, fine, I can tell you how many times a day: it's 25) by the two different messages people get in this country:

1. "Here, eat this! And this! And you know you want to try this!" but 2. "Don't get fat! Lose weight! Here's a NEW diet/pill/book/program you can buy!"

It's no wonder the majority of Americans are overweight, confused, and exhausted. We have weight issues about our body issues about our fashion issues about our weight issues. It's just crazy, all of it.

That was my 1 cent. Here is my 2nd cent:

I was wondering if we're allowed to comment about what she's wearing? It's pretty chilly where I'm at today. So, while I was right there with most of you wishing she'd at least down a protein shake, I'd also like to hand her something thick and fleecy to put on. I know adding that detail will ruin the designer's "vision," but I feel that Paris and Milan are seasonally out of touch with the majority of the clothes-buying public. I bet if they added more fabric to their fashions supermodels would weigh at least 8 ounces more, on average.

*Runs out of room to hide from indignant fashion designers*