PDA

View Full Version : Rejection, rejection, rejection....

Risseybug
08-15-2004, 01:12 AM
This is my first post here, but I've been reading alot of posts (mostly about PA :grin ) But I thought I'd comisserate with you all for a bit.

I have written a 50,000 word middle grade fantasyt novel (or, if you believe the Word Perfect count 46,000). It's been Crittered, it's been edited, it's been picked over. I've been told by just about everyone who's read even a part of it that it's good.
I've been rejected by seven agents this month. All form letters, all "very sorry" that they couldn't represent me. Yeah, if you're so sorry to pass, then don't! Sorry.

I guess you all can relate. I am waiting on two more, then I think I'll try some publishers directly.
Anybody have any places I should try?

Lori Basiewicz
08-15-2004, 03:57 AM
Ah, but Rissey, they could be very sorry indeed. It could just be that their plates are currently full and they know they could not give your manuscript the attention it deserves. Hang in there, the right agent/publisher is out there, waiting.

maestrowork
08-15-2004, 06:07 AM
That's only 7 agents. 7 out of how many? Don't give up.

I won't tell you how many have sent my rejections...

veingloree
08-15-2004, 04:53 PM
I think that's pretty standard, keep on trying! What sort of story is it? Adventure fantasy? Reading age? I am sure we can come up wiht publisher suggestions too.

Risseybug
08-15-2004, 06:01 PM
Hi veinglory! You ARE the same veinglory from the Writers Write boards?? It's Christine.. this sn is what I am registered under on these boards.

It's an adventure fantasy, sort of a quest type. The protaganist ithinks she is shy and insecure (and less than ordinary) and through the course of the book finds that she really is neither.

I would appreciate ANY publisher recommendations you can give. I have tried to find some small presses, but I can't seem to find any on the web that would fit with what I have written.

Any and all advice is always appreciated.
Yeah, I know it's only seven rejections, I sent out 10 to start with and one came back as an agency that had closed.

veingloree
08-15-2004, 08:24 PM
Yep, it's me again. I will ask around for some recommendations re: publishers. I have a copy of this year's Handbook here somewhere and will look through it too if you don't have one?

Arisa81
08-16-2004, 01:36 AM
Rissey:

Chin up ! Someone out there will want to and have the ability to represent you. Keep trying. :star

SRHowen
08-16-2004, 10:36 AM
It took me 65 rejections for various reasons to find my agent--you want one that will fit you and love your work as much as you do, but still be on the up and up and connected.

Keep trying.

Shawn

Phaeal
02-18-2011, 10:37 PM
Aaaaaaaaaaaaah, necro thread! Run!!!!

brainstorm77
02-19-2011, 03:57 AM
Slightly!

Jamesaritchie
02-19-2011, 09:22 PM
This is my first post here, but I've been reading alot of posts (mostly about PA :grin ) But I thought I'd comisserate with you all for a bit.

I have written a 50,000 word middle grade fantasyt novel (or, if you believe the Word Perfect count 46,000). It's been Crittered, it's been edited, it's been picked over. I've been told by just about everyone who's read even a part of it that it's good.
I've been rejected by seven agents this month. All form letters, all "very sorry" that they couldn't represent me. Yeah, if you're so sorry to pass, then don't! Sorry.

I guess you all can relate. I am waiting on two more, then I think I'll try some publishers directly.
Anybody have any places I should try?

Has the novel been rejected seven times, or has your query been rejected seven times? Not the same thing at all. If agents aren't requesting more material, then the novel hasn't been rejected once.

Are you enclosing the first three to five pages of the novel with the queries? This can be important.

Either way, nine agents is nothing.

cjcassada
02-28-2011, 12:58 AM
As someone whose been rejected I know it's tough. The main thing is don't give up. The way I see it is if they're not interested in your work, then someone else will be.

regdog
02-28-2011, 04:27 PM
There was no need to reopen a 7 year old thread. Time to retire this one back to sleep.