Kitten Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
My son has a kitten. Duncan Mc Bootie was left behind when my son split with his girlfriend. i/e she took mommy cat and Duncan's sister. Duncan is 7 weeks old, eats solid food, drinks water, climbs...etc. He is a good kittten. Except he keeps sleeping in his litter box and poo-ing in the middle of my son's floor. (it used to be the bed, but now he prefers the floor.) We've tried changing the type of litter.

Mommy used the box. Sister used the box. 'Doo-Doo' Duncan insists he's a pirate and poos...right there, in the middle of the floor.

My idea was to put him, the litter box, and his kitty bed inthe bathroom all day, thus forcing him to use the box. No deal. The second my son got home, Mr. Doo Doo Do it right there, was released fromthe bathroom, and made a bee line to my son's room and did did did it right at my son's feet.

Is there a 'scent' thing I can buy and put in the litter box that will make him want to use it? (My son's socks don't work)

Any ideas (shut up, I LIKE cats) other than making him live in the basement (not a nice place) until he's old enough to get neutered then making him an outdoor boy???

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ah yes, a common problem. He's p-o'd, basically. Acting up because he's alone now (momma and sister got taken by the ex).

One thing to try is a reconditioning technique where you put the litter box right there, where he's Pooing, get him to use it right in the middle of that room, then after a week, move it five feet. After a week (if he's using it) move it another five feet.

Wash, rinse, repeat until you have that box where you want him to DooDoo.

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Sometimes, though, it isn't being pissed off, it is a scent thing. Or it's habitual. I had this spot to the left of the litterbox where one of my cats would consistently pee every time, no matter how clean the box was, no matter the litter. He just got it into his head that this was a good place to go.

Two things:

Nature's Miracle does wonders and does just fine in carpeted areas, we've discovered.

Also: vinager. Cats hate vinager. *I* hate vinager, come to it. It does, however, repel the cat far and away. However, since that would leave your son's room smelling like vinager for the rest of time, I would suggest you try something else first... :)

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The fact that he made a bee-line straight to your son's room when he got home, and DooDoo'd at his feet, suggests it's an emotional response. There are commercial repellents, and a plethora of home methods you can certainly try.

But you need to work on his issues now, don't wait until it IS a learned and preferred behavior !

ETA: You could try and embarass him by saying you know a BLIND kitten who can use HIS box with no problems! :)

Last edited:

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
I'll trade you for the yak. If I call it Duncan that'll help. Maybe the yak will keep the deer away. Do yaks eat grass? I got a lot of grass.

PeeDee. Vinegar won't change the smell of that room one whit. I was already resigned to removing the rug before the kitten was born.

Ok. How do I deal with these kitten issues? Last time I box trained a kitten he pooed inthe wrong place. I showed him the poo. I scrapped up the poo. I put it in the box. I showed the kitten the box. he looke dup at me with a wise eye and said.

"Really, mum? Ya wants me to do it in that? Capital idea, I must say. Well, let me at it!" and there was no more problem.

I'd let my older cat teach him, but Clyde Jaymes will not use a litter box unless he is trapped inside for 10 hours. He likes the cedar mulch under the azaleas, and the azaleas seem to like his like. Oh, and Clyde James doesn't like kittens.

Now, back to the yak. Can I milk it? Is its compost good for tomatoes. Can I race a yak like a water buffalo?

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
My one female kitty knew exactly where to pee: in the litterbox and on the shoes of salesmen (honest). She then went ahead and trained the other three guy cats where to go. It's the advantage of raising cats mostly together.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, Yaks eat grass and lots of it. You can milk a Yak, the female ones anyway, and I expect any deer seeing the Yak would either turn and run, or at least stand and stare, forgetting about eating your veggies and roses.

But unlike Kittens, Yaks don't feel the instinctual urge to bury their Dooings.

Try putting a litter box at least inside your son's room, and make sure it's a nice deep box with a lot of litter, so Jr. can do plenty of digging. If you've tried various litter brands, and he's prefering to DooDoo on other surfaces, then if you have a shredder, exchange the litter for shredded junk mail.

He'll think he's getting away with Dooing where he shouldn't, thus catering slightly to his bad boy streak.

And give the boy some love. He's upset, needs coddling (like a lot of guys).

The Yak, however, responds well to smooches.

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
You can milk male Yaks too.

:D

(sorry; I'll go write)

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
He may be sleeping in the litter box because it still smells like Momma. Keep moving him to someplace more appropriate when he's sleeping.
7 weeks is young and he can be taught new habits with persistence. You just have to move him again and again (mid-poo-poo) until he gets it.
There are many enzyme products available at pet stores that do wonders for getting out odor, but if the carpet is completely embedded, nothing will work.
If you do take out the carpet, cut a piece and put it in the litterbox, under the litter, for a time or two until he gets the hang of things. (then toss it..ewww)

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
One of my guy kitties (loveable, but happily stupid) will persistently go and lie in the litterbox every time I put clean litter in it. Another male kitty has to go in the box and re-bury every piece of poop every single time anyone in the house poops, or he gets bored, or he smells the box, or he walks by the box...

...except he doesn't have a good grasp of burying things, so it involves scratching at the litter, the walls of the litter box, the walls of my HOUSE, and any surrounding objects in a ten foot radius.

TsukiRyoko

Forced into cell phone life
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tsuki-explodes.blogspot.com
Have you tried running his paws through the litter? It works for all of our cats (a lot of cats, too). Usually they figure it out pretty quickly, and if it doesn't work, start moving the middle-of-the-room-treasures into the litter box. If he doesn't figure it out, then cover the room in litter and move the bed :D.

Jongfan

Insane, in a good way
Registered
Reaction score
It's definately an anger issue, even though the kitty is young, it has already determined its emotion. I find to keep my kitties in check using a spraybottle of water deters bad manners. If you catch kitty making a mess other than in the litter box, a quick gentle spray of water to the little face will usually do the trick...

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
MidnightMuse said:
But unlike Kittens, Yaks don't feel the instinctual urge to bury their Dooings.

But I can bury Yak Dooings under the tomatoes and everyone will be quite happy. Including the yak.

MidnightMuse said:
Try putting a litter box at least inside your son's room, and make sure it's a nice deep box with a lot of litter, so Jr. can do plenty of digging. If you've tried various litter brands, and he's prefering to DooDoo on other surfaces, then if you have a shredder, exchange the litter for shredded junk mail.

He'll think he's getting away with Dooing where he shouldn't, thus catering slightly to his bad boy streak..
The litter box was in son's room. That's where kittens were born (Girlfriend couldn't keep cat in dorm.) We emptied it out after Mom left, and he and sister slept in it. ( No, silly cats, NO!) Then Duncan went with mom and sis to new home, and son insisted he take Duncan back. So new cat box. I'll try shreading newspaper. I'll try cutting a square out of the carpet..(since it will be going anyway. We'll try switching litters

MidnightMuse said:
And give the boy some love. He's upset, needs coddling (like a lot of guys).
Well, we can't be there 24/7, but when I'm home Mr. Mc Bootie follows me like a puppy. Sometimes I'll put him on my shoulder and he'll just sit there and purr and give me little kitten kisses. Last night he rode around in the pocket of my robe while I did housework. And everry 30 -40 min I took him to the cat box and put him in it and showed him how to dig and he just looked at me like I was trying to sell him a porked-up Llama. Daughter treats Bootie-bu** like a baby, petting and carrying and combing, and hand feeding. Son does too. He walked inthe door after class last night and Dunc came galloping. So they loved it up for awhile, and son put Dunc inthe cat box. Dunc said 'I don;t haveta' and then they went into my son's room, where, 40 secs later, Dunc dood at his 'daddys' sneaks while 'daddy' made a cell call.

Maybe son can sleep in bathroom and give Dunc his room. We can set the shower to turn on at 5:30 am and it would save son a lot of time....

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
PeeDee said:
One of my guy kitties (loveable, but happily stupid) will persistently go and lie in the litterbox every time I put clean litter in it. Another male kitty has to go in the box and re-bury every piece of poop every single time anyone in the house poops, or he gets bored, or he smells the box, or he walks by the box...

...except he doesn't have a good grasp of burying things, so it involves scratching at the litter, the walls of the litter box, the walls of my HOUSE, and any surrounding objects in a ten foot radius.

Have you people heard of cat beds? Sheesh! :tongue

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
writerterri said:
Have you people heard of cat beds? Sheesh! :tongue

Oh we got cat beds. My bed...actually a cat bed...my daughter's bed..cat. my son's chair..cat bed again...sofa it was a cat bed for awhile but the odor of 'old husband' was unberable, even after the cat ( girlfriend's cat) peed on it. so it went out. Son's bed...cat bed. son's sneakers cat bed and if theyare next to anything but a litter box...they are next to a 'litter box' Comfy football chair...catbed. fuzzy new bath mat...cat bed. Bathroom sink...cat bed. Cat bed...cat bed.

I promise you, if you set one foot into my house...30 seconds after you get there, you will be a catbed too.

The dishwasher is not a catbed. So we don't leave it open, anymore.

TsukiRyoko

Forced into cell phone life
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tsuki-explodes.blogspot.com
Jaycinth said:
Oh we got cat beds. My bed...actually a cat bed...my daughter's bed..cat. my son's chair..cat bed again...sofa it was a cat bed for awhile but the odor of 'old husband' was unberable, even after the cat ( girlfriend's cat) peed on it. so it went out. Son's bed...cat bed. son's sneakers cat bed and if theyare next to anything but a litter box...they are next to a 'litter box' Comfy football chair...catbed. fuzzy new bath mat...cat bed. Bathroom sink...cat bed. Cat bed...cat bed.

I promise you, if you set one foot into my house...30 seconds after you get there, you will be a catbed too.

The dishwasher is not a catbed. So we don't leave it open, anymore.

Sounds like my house, everything but the ceiling is an animal nap site.

Just be sure not to let the dryer turn into a catbed, too.

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
So Duncan started using the litter box. We put in some cheap litter and put it next to the toilet. He got the idea. He's been happily poo-ing up a storm. So, yesterday, lulled into complacency, my son leaves the door to his room open and Duncan Mc Doo went in and Mc Did it on the floor next to my son's calculus homework.

"Who left the tootsie roll on my floor... sh.....MOOOOOMMMMM!!!!!"

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well that'll learn him! Never touch tootsie rolls or almond roca with your bare hands :D

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
You might want to put a dish of cat food in your son's room on that spot to discourage the cat from using that area as a litter box. Now that the area smells like cat, the cat's likely to use it again. Cats don't like doing their business where they eat, so the food might be enough of a deterrent.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The fact that he's doing better is progress. But he may always do it periodically when he's upset. I have a ten year old cat that does it whenever her routine is changed. She's not quite right in the head and changes rally upset her.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
The only experience I have with cats pottying where they oughtn't is when they were sad/lonely, mad or in heat. The only "cures" I found were tormenting them with my presence or waiting it out till they weren't in heat any more.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
What a great name.

Duncan McBootie.

Best solution I can find is how I discipline all my cats.

Put them in the shower and turn the water on. If they can jump over the shower door walls, they're either not a witch, or free. Or something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.