PDA

View Full Version : Writer's Conference

mommywriter
10-10-2006, 05:20 PM
Hi! Has anyone heard of the Heart of America Christian Writer's Conference? It's put on by Mark Littleton with the Golden Literary Agency. I'm just wondering if it's worth attending.

Roger J Carlson
10-10-2006, 06:36 PM
Is this the one you're taling about?
http://home.earthlink.net/~hacwn/id5.html

I can't find any information about a Golden Literary Agency, though.

mommywriter
10-10-2006, 08:46 PM
Yes...that's the one.
He actually gave me a "not so nice" rejection to a query I sent him. He then sent an invitation to everyone he had rejected. I haven't heard anything about his agency either.

Roger J Carlson
10-10-2006, 09:02 PM
I've seen his name on a number of other conferences along with the likes of Tim LaHaye and Liz Curtis-Higgs, so he has some legitimacy as an author, but I can't say if this conference is any good.

BTW, what do you mean by "not so nice"? The best rejection I got in the early years was from an agent who told me my story was "too familiar" and my characters were cliche. He was right.

I'd rather have a direct and perhaps harsh criticism that gives me some help, than a "not for us" rejection.

mommywriter
10-10-2006, 09:19 PM
You're right. Actually, a better way to phrase it would be "not too helpful". I was frusterated that his comments didn't explain what he meant. He said that it sounded more like an article than a book. What I didn't understand was what sounded more like an article...the idea, the content...
I would much rather have some be direct and harsh than kind and vague.

Robin Bayne
10-13-2006, 06:34 PM
Mark spoke at our chapter (of RWA) meeting years ago, and he was an "ok" speaker but have not heard anything about his hosting a conference.