Gunshot wounds...

Status
Not open for further replies.

gwendy85

~*Proudly Mestiza*~
Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys!

I was wondering if there's a gunshot wound expert around here. I want to know if there are gunshots (gun used is WWII Nambu Pistol) that hit you and in a few minutes, you fall unconscious?

The situation would be that the character was nearly beat to a pulp, is already woozy. He got shout somewhere and in a few minutes, faints. The bullet's not a through-and-through. And I need it so that the wound is a little on the critical side, but there will be immediate care so the character survives.

Questions are,

Is it right to assume this is in long-range? Or is it short range?

Any permanent damage that this might cause?

Where should the bullet hit?

Is it possible to be hit near the heart but survive?

THANKS A BUNCH!!! :D

Histry Nerd

Moving Forward!
Registered
Reaction score
Texas. It's like a whole 'nother country.
gwendy85 said:
Questions are,

Is it right to assume this is in long-range? Or is it short range?

Any permanent damage that this might cause?

Where should the bullet hit?

Is it possible to be hit near the heart but survive?

Gwendy -

I'm not familiar with the Nambu, but I think I can answer your questions.

First, to your general question: yes, someone could be shot with a pistol and pass out a few minutes later. There is not a specific type of pistol that does this; It's more a matter of blood loss and shock. The docs on this board can explain the process better than I can, but basically as the body loses blood, the victim loses energy (from oxygen deprivation to the muscles) until he passes out. Shock sets in when the brain starts shutting down non-essential systems to keep the essential ones working.

To answer your specific questions:
Long-range vs. short-range: If he's shot with a pistol, it's pretty much automatically a short-range shot. Shooting a pistol accurately at distances greater than about 30 meters is difficult on a range; in combat conditions it would be dang near impossible. A pistol shot that hit him beyond this distance would also hit with a lot less energy than it would from up close. If you're shooting from more than 15-20 meters out, you really want to use a rifle.

Permanent damage really depends on where he is hit, with what caliber bullet, at what range, and could range from scarring, to diminished range of motion in a limb, to diminished capacity of an organ (liver, intestines, stomach, etc.), to paralysis, to loss of a limb--the variety of possibilities is pretty much endless.

As to where the bullet should hit him--it sounds like he has people around him, but you want them not to know he's shot until he keels over. This really depends on several factors, like what he's wearing and what the climate is. If it's cold and he has a lot of dark-colored clothes on, the clothing could conceal the bleeding until he has lost enough blood to pass out. If not, you need a chest wound, something that will bleed more internally than externally, preferably that he can cover up so the folks around him don't know it's there. I might recommend something from the side, entering the chest below the armpit; he can cover it with his arm, and external blood loss would appear minimal while internal could easily become life-threatening.

As to whether people can survive gunshot wounds near the heart: absolutely, but there are so many variables I can't do the answer justice. The short answer is: if the heart, or any of the major veins or arteries that connect to it, is breached, the victim will bleed to death very, very quickly (maybe as fast as a minute, depending on the size of the hole). If not, he may be able to survive long enough for medical care to reach him.

There's what I know. Let's see what the docs say now.

HN

rtilryarms

Crossbows and Handgonnes
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The blood loss and shock is a sure bet. Particularly since he was already beaten severely.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, and remember everyone is different.

My uncle, for example, was pulling a shotgun out of his car, loaded, safety off (I can hear the universal cringe) it went off.

It shot him through the chest, there are still pieces of the scattershot in his heart. They are made out of led so he is still getting lead damage from it nearly forty years after the incident.

Some lodged into his spine. They did not cause immediate damage but as they are made out of lead they are also causing damage there. He is now in a wheel chair but it took about twenty years before he started feeling the aftermath.

The hole in his chest was so big they could have stuck a dinner glass in the hole and it wouldn't have touched the sides.

They lived about fifty miles from the nearest hospital, there were no lifeflight helecopters around, they had to drive it on unpaved roads in an old truck whose highest speed was 40 miles an hour at top.

Physically he shouldn't have lived, let alone suffered so little. It took a piece of his heart and yet he lived and stayed awake for nearly two hours until they could reach the hospital.

Now that I have that example out, each and every person is different. Some wouldn't have lasted five minutes with that wound.

I do think your senario is pretty accurate, if he had tightly binding clothes he may last longer before passing out, some wouldn't pass out but merely go into shock, some shock is deeper than others.

Where it hits depends on the damage and to what. The kidneys are surprisingly forgiving and you can live without one of them. The liver can lose 75% of its mass before it stops functioning. The stomach can be repaired and you can lose a section of your intestines. Your lungs you can lose pieces of but you are going to feel that one for the rest of your life. If you have a lung shot it's called a sucking chest wound. They aren't pretty and whichever lung is damaged can fill up with blood pretty quickly and you can drown in your own blood.

Heart can be hit but it depends on where, how damaging, and such on whether or not you live. Anywhere in the spine can cause partial to full paralysis. Some of it can be fixed by taking pressure off the spine and reducing nerve damage, some is irreversible.

In the neck, you can survive this but action must be immediate. In the leg and arms you have to watch out for major arteries, if you hit one, chances are if you survive you are going to lose it, especially back then.

In the head, if it's a graze you can certainly bleed a lot and live, if it doesn't penetrate the skull you can do pretty well, there was one guy in world war II that was hit through the cheeks, it broke off several teeth and nearly severed his tongue, the medic was able to save him and he wound up with dimples as recourse. The tongue is a resiliant organ with fast healing, most punctures can be healed within 24 hours or at least sealed. Ears, you can lose ears, or cut them. If it penetrates the skull and somehow manages to make it's way to an unvital section, you can live through that, remember it was the removal of the bullet that killed Lincoln, not the bullet itself. Then you have to watch for brainswelling, in which liquid is trapped between the brain and the skull and presses against the brain, they then have to relieve it to prevent death and damage.

And then you have everything in between so it's really what you want it to be like.

Scarlett_156

asdf
Registered
Reaction score
I've been doing medical transcription for quite a long time and over the last couple of years have been transcribing for hospitals in Denver, Colorado and environs who take in a lot of gunshot wound cases. I've also done a lot of shooting in my life and handled various types of guns. (Most recently shot an M16-- tell me THAT wasn't fun! :D It kept jamming, though. :() Anyway, if you have a specific question about gunshot wounds please feel free to message me-- if I put everything I know about guns and being shot (or shot AT) into one post it would be a travesty that scarcely anyone (except perhaps my friends at the Bureau) would want to read.

My most recent personal experience with gunshot injury was a bit more than a year ago, when-- out wandering in some fields when I should have been working-- I happened upon an unfortunate man who had committed suicide by shooting himself in the chest. (Yes, he was quite dead.) I put the experience in my blog and you wouldn't believe how many people thought I was, er, pullin their legs. (The story got really weird when the man's mom called me about a month and a half later...)

What the other respondents are saying in this thread is quite true-- a person can have a relatively minor injury and pass out immediately, or conversely have a grievous injury or be mangled quite horribly and not only live, but seem to take it relatively in stride.

I hope this was helpful!

gwendy85

~*Proudly Mestiza*~
Registered
Reaction score
Wow! All these are helpful! At least I can better imagine it.

Here's the lowdown on the scenario.

There are a lot of people around. They were shooting at each other but they're holding their fire for a situation. My character is standing (no bullets as of yet) and then there's another character, whom he sees in grave danger of being shot so he saves that character and gets the bullet (heroes...)

Everyone knows he's shot. They can all see the blood. I'm still struggling whether or not he has his shirt on, but the shirt is loose cotton and a light color. I'm thinking the shot should be long range (still from a pistol) so that the bullet won't go through the person he had saved (or does short range bullet from the Nambu pistol *thinking .35-.45 calibre. it's a Japanese WWII weapon of officers* stay in the body and not through and through?). I want the hero to be hit near the heart, but through the back, just for it to be a little more dramatic. There would be a lot of blood, and he passes out moments later.

How many minutes will he last without medical care? And since it's near the heart, any possible damages it can cause? I don't want him dying, that's for sure, but I want readers to be frightened enough for him to fear he may die.

Again, thanks a lot for the input :D

ColoradoGuy

I've seen worse.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisjohnsonmd.com
If it's near the heart it will hit a lung, most likely collapsing the lung with what is called a tension pneumothorax. Worse would be a "sucking" chest wound, in which the hole in the lung (the pneumothorax) communicates with the outside with each breath. Both of these are really bad. It would be possible to lodge a bullet near the heart without hitting the lung, but the entry point would need to be from below, angling up toward the heart. That doesn't sound possible with your scenario. (I take care of things like this for a living.)

gwendy85

~*Proudly Mestiza*~
Registered
Reaction score
ColoradoGuy said:
If it's near the heart it will hit a lung, most likely collapsing the lung with what is called a tension pneumothorax. Worse would be a "sucking" chest wound, in which the hole in the lung (the pneumothorax) communicates with the outside with each breath. Both of these are really bad. It would be possible to lodge a bullet near the heart without hitting the lung, but the entry point would need to be from below, angling up toward the heart. That doesn't sound possible with your scenario. (I take care of things like this for a living.)

Hmmm...this seems very hard. So, I guess I'll either have him turn around for the chest wound (frontal) or maintain with the back, but hit at a different area in the body, preferably lower than the heart.

Can you suggest where? Thanks a bunch :D

ColoradoGuy

I've seen worse.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisjohnsonmd.com
As I understand it, you want a non-lethal but serious chest wound that gives obvious but not wildly spurting blood and makes the victim collapse or faint. Given that, I think that a good solution would be to have your victim turn so that he/she gets an oblique (i.e. not hit straight-on) wound in the back -- the bullet enters the back in the heavy paraspinal muscles just beside the backbone and then tracks sideways toward the victim’s flank. Bullets that have lost a bit of power (as a low or medium-caliber pistol shot from a distance would) can bounce off the ribs and then move down the tissue planes inside the chest wall without puncturing the lung. A wound like that would give you plenty of obvious blood, would need medical attention, could look horrible to bystanders, but be ultimately non-life threatening.

I wouldn’t obsess too much about this, though. As I’ve told various folks on this board, bullet wounds, and traumatic injuries in general, are unpredictable. Truth really is stranger than fiction. So as long as your scenario is not too outrageous, do what your plot requires and no reader will care much about the medical details, especially if it is well-written.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
I hope I'm not buttingin here but I have a similar question and this might just be the opportunity to ask it.

This character, a huge, strong man, gets hit at short range. He falls, and the shooter (an inexperenced woman) thinks he;s dead.

But he's not. Some time later - half an hour, an hour - later, after having been found by someone and given first aid, he's back on his feet again and after the woman.

Can anyone explain WHAT exactly happened??? Where he got hit, why she thought he was dead, how soon he recovered, etc? I hope the scenario is not impossible, but in them ovies people get shot and still go on for ages. (I won't have to describe it in detail in the story, but I need to know myself. I may just hint at what happens inthe writing.)

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
aruna said:
I hope I'm not buttingin here but I have a similar question and this might just be the opportunity to ask it.

This character, a huge, strong man, gets hit at short range. He falls, and the shooter (an inexperenced woman) thinks he;s dead.

But he's not. Some time later - half an hour, an hour - later, after having been found by someone and given first aid, he's back on his feet again and after the woman.

Can anyone explain WHAT exactly happened??? Where he got hit, why she thought he was dead, how soon he recovered, etc? I hope the scenario is not impossible, but in them ovies people get shot and still go on for ages. (I won't have to describe it in detail in the story, but I need to know myself. I may just hint at what happens inthe writing.)

Have him faking the extent of the injury.

A shoulder or side wound missing all major organs.

There are instances where people were shot in the head, passed out due to loss of blood, low heart rate, so low paramedics couldn't detect it, assume their dead, body bag them, then the person wakes up in the body bag able to move around and such on their own without treatment as the wound clotted up and the blood supply returned.

Police officers in California had to change their hand guns from 9 mil to a larger caliber because the 9 mil just wouldn't bring down the bigger guys, they could empty an entire clip and the guys would keep on coming.

If she has a small caliber bullet, he is a big guy as you say, she doesn't hit him anywhere vital, it's absolutely possible he would go down then get back up. I would have a reason for him to go down, like if someone came to her rescue, someone he believed may be capable of stopping him, so he would fake it until they left, then he would bandage up and go after her.

As they said no two gunshot wounds are the same.

One of my dear friends tried to kill herself by shooting herself in the chest. It came within a half a millimeter of puncturing her lungs and her heart. It missed her bones and everything and lodged in soft tissue. To get the bullet out they had to break three of her ribs to gain access, and the scar and damage from the surgery was worse than the actual bullet, however they couldn't leave it in there because there was a risk of it shifting and hitting her artery.

That was point blank. Write it believable, truth is certainly stranger than fiction, the higher fitness level the person has the higher survival rate they will have. Some bullets mushroom and spin, so you will want to check out types of tips. Lead tips are soft, they mushroom out spin cause the most types of damage. Full metal jackets are through and through in general, they are hard and are designed for penetration. There are some bullets that have a wobbly spin, they are also very damaging. So the type of bullet has as much effect on the types of wounds as the area it enters.

Another possibility for Aruna's character is a through and through in a skin area, the skin at the top of the shoulder, the skin under the arm, the skin around the waste, the skin and muscle through the leg. All of these would have enough blood and proximity, especially if he wasn't moving to appear dead, and if she was in a hurry to get out of there, she wouldn't exactly check for a pulse.

Gwendy,

The people surrounding him would hear the gunshot and would see the jolt in his body. When you see someone shot there is no wondering if they were really shot. You could have the doctor explain when he woke up how close it was, how lucky he was. No audience is going to contend that unless you riddle his body with bullets.

But then there is 50 cent (the rapper) who was shot like 12 times, several of which were in his head and he suffered no permanent damage.

Last edited:

ColoradoGuy

I've seen worse.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisjohnsonmd.com
Here is an easy fix: he hits his head as he falls, gets concussion, stays knocked-out for a while, then awakens and carries on.

Let me tell you a true story from my personal treasure trove. It happened nearly thirty years ago in Houston at BenTaub Hospital (aka “the Tub”) ER, one of the busiest in the country. It was a typically crazy night there. Young, frazzled intern finally gets to a huge guy with grizzled hair and beard who has been waiting patiently for hours to be seen. The guy looks to be in no distress at all. The following is a loose transcription:

“What are you here for?”
“I need a physical.”
“What! This is the ER on a Saturday night. We don’t have time for routine physicals!”
(Long pause. Intern, a little regretful he yelled at the guy, softens his tone a bit.)
“OK. Why do you need a physical?”
“My wife told me to come in and get one.”
“OK, OK. Why did your wife tell you to come in and get one?”
“I got shot.”
(At this point the guy takes off his shirt. There is a dishrag taped to the back of his chest, under which there is a hole in one of his massive muscles. It’s oozing some blood.)
“How did this happen?”
“Well, I used to be a real hell-raiser, but now I don’t. I was in a bar and a little punk tried to pick a fight. I didn’t pay any attention and turned away. Then the little son-of-a-b!tch shot me in the back.”
“What happened then?”
“I turned around and saw that he was holding a little bitty 0.25 pistol, so I took the thing away from him and beat the sh!t out of him. He’s probably in here somewhere.”
(An x-ray showed the bullet lodged in his muscle, up against a rib. We took it out and sent him home with a couple of antibiotic pills.)

As I said, truth is stranger than fiction.

Last edited:

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Thanks to both of you, I think I can visualise it now. A through and through wound sounds good, but would he fall from that?

He could hit his head on an iron bedstead, lies there dead-like. The two women (at the time he is threatening another woman, the one with the gun rescues her) escape, the guy lies there for a while bleeding till someone comes and helps him, a whilelater he's good as ever.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
aruna said:
Thanks to both of you, I think I can visualise it now. A through and through wound sounds good, but would he fall from that?

He could hit his head on an iron bedstead, lies there dead-like. The two women (at the time he is threatening another woman, the one with the gun rescues her) escape, the guy lies there for a while bleeding till someone comes and helps him, a whilelater he's good as ever.

As you said there are two of them, couldn't one creep up behind him and hit him over the head while they run for it, leaving him there, hopefully bleeding to death in their minds?

ETA, also if she were to run out of bullets, he was still coming toward her, perfect reason for the other one to knock him out and both of them to run for it and not make sure he is good and dead.

gwendy85

~*Proudly Mestiza*~
Registered
Reaction score
icerose said:
Gwendy,

The people surrounding him would hear the gunshot and would see the jolt in his body. When you see someone shot there is no wondering if they were really shot. You could have the doctor explain when he woke up how close it was, how lucky he was. No audience is going to contend that unless you riddle his body with bullets.

Well, yeah, the jolt happens and everyone sees it. The scenario is that there's an exchange of gunfire but someone calls for a ceasefire. The hero sort of stands up through the sudden silence and then, another character sees other people, aiming their rifles at the hero. This character rushes to protect the hero but when the hero too, sees the aimed rifles, he grabs the character, turns around and so, he gets the bullet (and no, I didn't make a mistake. That's bullet as in singular). This happens in the jungle, at 3AM. Some kerosene lamps are burning, so there's enough light to see the wound.

To ColoradoGuy,

Thanks for the details! I think I'll be able to rest easy now. So maybe I'll just let fiction decide for itself. :D

To Aruna,

I don't mind people butting in. I do that myself. Hehehe...

Scarlett_156

asdf
Registered
Reaction score
You can never be sure whether you're going to see a lot of blood with a gunshot wound-- blood's usually NOT the determining factor of knowing whether someone has been hit. The REAL determining factor as far as onlookers are concerned is that if someone is hit by a bullet that person almost always falls, and moreover looks like someone has grabbed him by whatever part of the body he's been hit in and given him a hard yank; if one is standing close enough, there may be an accompanying "WHAP" sort of sound as the bullet hits skin and/or bone.

If the guy who got hit has military or martial arts training, he may not fall, but it will still look as though someone yanked or struck him.

There's not always a whole lot of blood-- that entirely depends on what part of the body was hit and if the bullet severed any large blood vessels. The stuff they show in movies, with people getting shot and blood spraying all over the place, is mostly for effect. It's not always, or even usually, like that.

Getting struck by a bullet feels like, as Ernest Hemingway so aptly described, getting hit with a baseball bat. At first it's just a shock-- and again, there may not be a lot of blood.

A gunshot wound doesn't hurt much for the first minute or so, and then it starts to sting, then burn, then swell up. If you're still conscious by that point you will be in a lot of pain, like a heavy throbbing/aching. If you've ever hit your thumb hard with a hammer, multiply that by about 100, and you'll have an idea of how it feels.

If the bullet went through an arm or leg, there will be a lot more blood where it came out then where it went in.

And again: If your character who gets shot has military training, then chances are good he's not just going to shriek and fall to the ground upon being shot. So, maybe only a couple of people know it, right? Then maybe after a few minutes someone notices some blood.

People who are victims of accidental shootings often have the extra problem of no one around them knowing exactly what happened until it's almost too late-- to an onlooker the person just seems to fall limply to the ground. It sometimes takes many minutes for it to become obvious that the victim has been shot.

gwendy85

~*Proudly Mestiza*~
Registered
Reaction score
Scarlett_156 said:
You can never be sure whether you're going to see a lot of blood with a gunshot wound-- blood's usually NOT the determining factor of knowing whether someone has been hit. The REAL determining factor as far as onlookers are concerned is that if someone is hit by a bullet that person almost always falls, and moreover looks like someone has grabbed him by whatever part of the body he's been hit in and given him a hard yank; if one is standing close enough, there may be an accompanying "WHAP" sort of sound as the bullet hits skin and/or bone.

If the guy who got hit has military or martial arts training, he may not fall, but it will still look as though someone yanked or struck him.

There's not always a whole lot of blood-- that entirely depends on what part of the body was hit and if the bullet severed any large blood vessels. The stuff they show in movies, with people getting shot and blood spraying all over the place, is mostly for effect. It's not always, or even usually, like that.

Getting struck by a bullet feels like, as Ernest Hemingway so aptly described, getting hit with a baseball bat. At first it's just a shock-- and again, there may not be a lot of blood.

A gunshot wound doesn't hurt much for the first minute or so, and then it starts to sting, then burn, then swell up. If you're still conscious by that point you will be in a lot of pain, like a heavy throbbing/aching. If you've ever hit your thumb hard with a hammer, multiply that by about 100, and you'll have an idea of how it feels.

If the bullet went through an arm or leg, there will be a lot more blood where it came out then where it went in.

And again: If your character who gets shot has military training, then chances are good he's not just going to shriek and fall to the ground upon being shot. So, maybe only a couple of people know it, right? Then maybe after a few minutes someone notices some blood.

People who are victims of accidental shootings often have the extra problem of no one around them knowing exactly what happened until it's almost too late-- to an onlooker the person just seems to fall limply to the ground. It sometimes takes many minutes for it to become obvious that the victim has been shot.

Thanks for the info! And ooooh! That must hurt! Glad I haven't been shot in my life...not yet anyway. Who knows what could happen? (esp. with the situation in my country...)

Anyway, my character's a soldier, so he's trained but he has previously undergone a near-fatal experience and is weaker than he was before. Then, there's the fact that he had nearly been beat to a pulp by another character before he was shot. People heard the shot and through his shirt, saw the blood and of course, he suddenly falls limp.

I'll have to take in fiction as a consideration too, but I'm glad to know the facts. Thanks a bunch :D

Status
Not open for further replies.