What did you do with last years work?

MarkButler

Part Time Fool
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.markbsplace.net
Just curious, assuming that you finished or finished enough to consider it worth keeping, what have you done with it since?

In my case, since I knew it was just a goofball just-for-fun project anyway, I cleaned it up and then narrated it for a book-on-tape. Its just about to be published on Podiobooks.com for download to travellers ipods... I hope they enjoy it!

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
Mine's still waiting to be finished. I've been playing with the same characters for a while now. My current fantasy WIP is the first story in the chronology, my (currently but not forever) trunk novel is the second, last year's NaNoWriMo novel is third, and the one I'm planning for this year will be fourth. At this point I can use all the practice I can get writing. I figure I'm working on my million words.

Storyteller5

Say something...
Registered
Reaction score
I finished mine. It took 70 days start to finish. 99K. I left it for a while (so I could get some distance and work on other pieces). I recently started revising/cutting/rewriting the 2nd draft. It's a slow revise, but then this is the first novel I've completed as a serious writer. :)

mistri

Sneezy Member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.livejournal.com
I crashed out last year, because I had to move house half way through the month. I only wrote around 25k during November itself. And for seven months afterwards, when I was job hunting, I was paralysed. Occasionally wrote a sentence but no more.

In July I woke up. I started off slowly, but eventually got back into the game. I'm on 90k of my fantasy now, and hope to finish by the weekend. I've crawled from 500 words a day to around 1000-2000. Not amazing, but welcome for me as I took so long off with my head in the sand.

I plan to revise it, then start submitting to agents :)

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's still hanging around on the blog. Waiting for me to finish -

Storyteller5

Say something...
Registered
Reaction score
mistri said:
In July I woke up. I started off slowly, but eventually got back into the game. I'm on 90k of my fantasy now, and hope to finish by the weekend. I've crawled from 500 words a day to around 1000-2000. Not amazing, but welcome for me as I took so long off with my head in the sand.

I plan to revise it, then start submitting to agents :)

Wohoo! So close to finished! :hooray:

Sarashay

Shut Up and Write
Registered
Reaction score
I wrote a science fiction romance novel and present day technology caught up too quickly with my future technology, which kinda put me off adding anything to it.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
I didn't get very far last year, but I picked up the manuscript at the end of August and have been working steadily on it since. The story was too interesting to let it linger in limbo forever.

MarkButler

Part Time Fool
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.markbsplace.net
Sarashay said:
I wrote a science fiction romance novel and present day technology caught up too quickly with my future technology, which kinda put me off adding anything to it.
I would not let that deter you! Technology does not prevent older technology from being used. We still have black-and-white TV sets in use even though some people have 65" HD ones. Cars have not changed much since the 50's, a few new gadgets but not all people want them and they are incedental to the main function anyway. Mainly things just get smaller as technology progresses. Phones, computers, GPS units, etc.

Unless your story uses a replacement for something like the GPS it should be just fine. The cool thing is speculating what new stuff will come about based on the new technology. Could the 1970's have predicted things like geocaching and text-messaging?

Rane

Duh. #winning
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.confessionsofacashier.com
I let mine sit for a year. This past month I have been revising a few chapters a day. I have polished the first three chapters, so I may even send those out to a few places while I'm finishing up the rest. :)

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I revised it a couple of times, but I know it needs a little overhauling before it's ready for querying. However, it's got some good qualities & I'll get back to it, I'm sure.

MarkButler

Part Time Fool
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.markbsplace.net
Just thought you all would like to know. My 2005 Nano was cleaned up and narrated and is now online as a free-download at Podiobooks.com http://www.podiobooks.com/podiobooks/book.php?ID=106

Its a lot of fun narrating the book, doing different voices and such. If your interested in chapter downloads, i.e. listening while commuting or exercising, i recommend this book ;-) its just a simple fun read (kind of like me).

I plan to do the same with this years nano, once I clean it up. I learned a lot about how much cleanup I need to do from last years.

glassquill

RB's favourite chewtoy
Registered
Reaction score
I have never reached the goal (so far). :tongue Right now, all my half-finished work are in the dark corners of my desk drawers communing with the dust bunnies. :D

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
NaNo 2005? What NaNo 2005?

*kicks stack of paper that looks mysteriously like a novel manuscript under couch*

I have no idea what you're talking about.

Yeah, it's that bad. The melodrama would make Jackie Collins cringe in horror.:e2thud:

TheIT

Registered
Reaction score
Don't worry about it, BenPanced. All practice is worthwhile, isn't it?

Welcome to AW!

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Still
2.gif

Believe it or not...

TheIT

Registered
Reaction score
Both of my NaNo projects are on hold while I work on my current fantasy WIP, but they're still in my thoughts. My current plan for NaNo 2007 is to take one of them and finish it. I need to practice endings, not more beginnings, and given the way I write, I shouldn't have much trouble adding 50,000 more words to either project.

MMWyrm

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MLoriMotley.com
Just yesterday I decided to concentrate on finishing (completely through final polish) my NaNo novel by this year's NaNo and put my other big project on the back burner.

So, I'm rewriting about 1/2 of it right now.

crazynance

~call me Mrs Writer ~
Registered
Reaction score
Website
crazynance.livejournal.com
I am on Absolute Write because of Nano, which I was invited to by Lady Cat last year. Then I finished! Yes, I did, even starting late. I know it was after my birthday which is the 3rd. Mind you, it is still being edited, which hopefully some AW member *ahem -you know who you are!* will finish it soon... I am now writing the prequel, and hope to write either the sequel in November or another prequelly sort of side show thing that I am thinking about.. or go totally on a tangent and write a children's adventure. I really loved The Railway Children and the Treasure Seekers etc. I still have children's adventures, and They tell me I'm almost 45! Just today I visited my friend and when we walked out to her meadow, I flew around it for a while in my pidgeon personna... ^_^ yes, I tiptoed around with my 'wings' out... shut up, it was fun. The grass was springy, the air was fresh.. ahhhhh! *swoops off...

Gabion

Registered
Reaction score
I joined AW because of Nano as well. I had my 2007 novel published by Lulu as a one-off. I'm not sure what I will do with it - it would be fun to edit and try to publish, but I have a W-I-P I ought to concentrate on - and of course November is getting closer!

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
My last year's NaNo is sitting in a digital corner. It's finished. But it was written for a NaNo audience. It is a love story in NaNo time. Hero meets girl. Hero Loses girl. Hero must find girl in 50,000 words or 30 days, or she's gone forever. Along the way he encounters every little word padding device my writer's group dared me to throw into it. (naked zombies, an elderly lady who speaks in rhyme...)

crazynance

~call me Mrs Writer ~
Registered
Reaction score
Website
crazynance.livejournal.com
My last year's NaNo is sitting in a digital corner. It's finished. But it was written for a NaNo audience. It is a love story in NaNo time. Hero meets girl. Hero Loses girl. Hero must find girl in 50,000 words or 30 days, or she's gone forever. Along the way he encounters every little word padding device my writer's group dared me to throw into it. (naked zombies, an elderly lady who speaks in rhyme...)

Gasp! You STEALED my plotline! just kidding! :D I didn't have any zombies to speak of.