Hot Stove Thread

aka eraser

Fish Whisperer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.frankbaron.com
We sure as heck don't want a proliferation of threads discussing sports stuff unrelated to writing.

Nosiree.

But I'm thinking we might have one, measly little thread wherein we can kick around what's on your sports-loving mind.

Me, I'm still mourning the shockingly early exit of Steinbrenner's overpaid prima donnas.

Not.

:D

I do think they'll make Joe Torre the fall guy though which would be a shame. He's a classy guy.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
aka eraser said:
Me, I'm still mourning the shockingly early exit of Steinbrenner's overpaid prima donnas.

Not.

:D

You're lucky you put that smilie in there. I was going to be forced to hunt you down and smack you in the face with a trout if you were serious about mourning the Yankee's downfall. :D

Go Tigers!!

aka eraser

Fish Whisperer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.frankbaron.com
A Mets/Tigers series would A-okay by me. I like both teams. Living close to Toronto, I appreciated what Carlos Delgado did for the Jays for 10+ seasons. I'm happy to see him in the post season.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As a Ranger fan, I love watching the evil empire go down in flames. Which ex-Ranger to root for: A-Rod or Pudge Rodriguez? Hah! No contest. (Notice I'm pretending not to notice Kenny Rogers glaring at me from the Tiger corner!)

I wouldn't mind a Mets/Tigers WS.

samgail

poll dancer
Registered
Reaction score
Where the rich go to get richer

How about the ex-everybody roster, that is almost the entire lineup. Chaps my ***:rant:
Go Cards
Sam

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Man, it sucks not having baseball to watch. At least now we get some of the playoff games... a day or two later. They just remind me how great baseball is. (There's a team I could play for in my neighbourhood, but I didn't get it together in time. Idjit.)

jst5150

Vorpal Comics. Weekly Podcast. Twitch Artist. Vet
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com
Beloved ... Dodgers ... swept ...

aka eraser

Fish Whisperer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.frankbaron.com
This is the best time of year for sports nuts - baseball playoffs, football underway, hockey's started and basketball is only a couple of weeks away. I'm primarily a hockey and baseball fan but basketball is growing on me. I watch some CFL (Canadian Football League) but am not much into the NFL game (heresy among some of you Yanks, I'm sure).

If you could only watch one...which would it be? I'd be really hard pressed to choose between hockey and baseball but I think I'd go with the latter (heresy among my fellow Canuckleheads).

jst5150

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com
Hockey. No question. American football a close second. Curling third.

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
Hey, are the Mets still in? I've been busy coming to terms with the outcome of Sunday's Nascar race (as per comments on "Nascar Thread").

No Subway series this year, eh?

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
I'm with jst's first two choices, in that order, only curling would rank far more distantly, somewhere behind netting butterflies as a spectator sport.

jst5150

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com
The curling thing -- that was a joke. I was engrossed during the Olympics, however, especially the American women's team from Minnesota. Go us!

WerenCole

Funny what? Do I amuse you?
Registered
Reaction score
Torre is staying. . . good thing too. There is a mutual respect between the classy folks of the Sox and Yanks, and Torre is one of those characters that the Red Sox Nation indeed does respect.

A-Rod on the other hand. . ummm. . . not so much.

Daisuke Matsuzaka, hot Japanese import coming to America for the 2007 season. Hope the Sox land him. With the free agent pool so thin in pitchers this year, this could be the make or break signing for the would-be contenders next year.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Football is number one followed by NASCAR for me. Then comes baseball. Then hockey. And during the Olympics? I'll watch anything during the Olympics. My life screeches to a halt.

WerenCole

Funny what? Do I amuse you?
Registered
Reaction score
I can't avoid NASCAR where I live. . . I just try to hide the remote to the best of my abilities on Sunday so as to keep football on. . . or baseball playoffs.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Auto racing is sooo much better in person. It's something that you have to experience to really "get." The best part is the start of the race. When the green flag falls and all 43 cars drop the hammer at the same time....wow. You can feel the sound. I've got tickets for the November race at TMS. :) It's like any sport though. The more you understand the players and the strategies involved the more fun it is.

And I do love the Olympics. There's nothing better. I especially love the obscure sports with atheletes who toil in obscurity for one shot at glory. It's pure sport.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Soccer Mom said:
I especially love the obscure sports with atheletes who toil in obscurity for one shot at glory. It's pure sport.
Phew. For a second there, I thought you were going to bring up curling.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
WerenCole said:
Torre is staying. . . good thing too. There is a mutual respect between the classy folks of the Sox and Yanks, and Torre is one of those characters that the Red Sox Nation indeed does respect.

A-Rod on the other hand. . ummm. . . not so much.
Mate, what's the local Red Sox Nation view on Johnny Damon? Me, I figure a guy's got a right to make a deal for himself, and I haven't heard him bag his old team. On the other hand, I don't mind seeing that it hasn't gotten him back to the WS this year.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Top of the 6th, Tigers 5, Oakland zip. Life's good. Except I do miss curling.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The tigers are looking good. Taking a game from Zito is big. Kenny Rogers has always owned Oakland.