PDA

View Full Version : Hot Stove Thread

Pages : [1] 2

aka eraser
10-09-2006, 08:02 PM
We sure as heck don't want a proliferation of threads discussing sports stuff unrelated to writing.

Nosiree.

But I'm thinking we might have one, measly little thread wherein we can kick around what's on your sports-loving mind.

Me, I'm still mourning the shockingly early exit of Steinbrenner's overpaid prima donnas.

Not.

:D

I do think they'll make Joe Torre the fall guy though which would be a shame. He's a classy guy.

kristie911
10-09-2006, 09:39 PM
Me, I'm still mourning the shockingly early exit of Steinbrenner's overpaid prima donnas.

Not.

You're lucky you put that smilie in there. I was going to be forced to hunt you down and smack you in the face with a trout if you were serious about mourning the Yankee's downfall. :D

Go Tigers!!

aka eraser
10-09-2006, 10:19 PM
A Mets/Tigers series would A-okay by me. I like both teams. Living close to Toronto, I appreciated what Carlos Delgado did for the Jays for 10+ seasons. I'm happy to see him in the post season.

Soccer Mom
10-10-2006, 05:44 AM
As a Ranger fan, I love watching the evil empire go down in flames. Which ex-Ranger to root for: A-Rod or Pudge Rodriguez? Hah! No contest. (Notice I'm pretending not to notice Kenny Rogers glaring at me from the Tiger corner!)

I wouldn't mind a Mets/Tigers WS.

samgail
10-10-2006, 11:07 AM
How about the ex-everybody roster, that is almost the entire lineup. Chaps my ***:rant:
Go Cards
Sam

poetinahat
10-10-2006, 11:42 AM
Man, it sucks not having baseball to watch. At least now we get some of the playoff games... a day or two later. They just remind me how great baseball is. (There's a team I could play for in my neighbourhood, but I didn't get it together in time. Idjit.)

jst5150
10-10-2006, 11:49 AM
Beloved ... Dodgers ... swept ...

aka eraser
10-10-2006, 04:46 PM
This is the best time of year for sports nuts - baseball playoffs, football underway, hockey's started and basketball is only a couple of weeks away. I'm primarily a hockey and baseball fan but basketball is growing on me. I watch some CFL (Canadian Football League) but am not much into the NFL game (heresy among some of you Yanks, I'm sure).

If you could only watch one...which would it be? I'd be really hard pressed to choose between hockey and baseball but I think I'd go with the latter (heresy among my fellow Canuckleheads).

jst5150
10-10-2006, 04:47 PM
Hockey. No question. American football a close second. Curling third.

C.bronco
10-10-2006, 04:58 PM
Hey, are the Mets still in? I've been busy coming to terms with the outcome of Sunday's Nascar race (as per comments on "Nascar Thread").

No Subway series this year, eh?

aka eraser
10-10-2006, 05:24 PM
Yep. It's the Mets/Cards and Tigers/A's. I hope we get 7-game series from here on.

Silver King
10-10-2006, 07:36 PM
I'm with jst's first two choices, in that order, only curling would rank far more distantly, somewhere behind netting butterflies as a spectator sport.

Sarita
10-10-2006, 07:39 PM
Blah blah blah blah

GO YANKEES! (er-in 2007... with Torre... please?)

aka eraser
10-10-2006, 09:23 PM
With a baby that cute, I can forgive even a Yankee fan. ;)

jst5150
10-10-2006, 10:40 PM
The curling thing -- that was a joke. I was engrossed during the Olympics, however, especially the American women's team from Minnesota. Go us!

Silver King
10-10-2006, 11:54 PM
The curling thing -- that was a joke.
Of course I knew it was a joke, as was my butterfly reference. I have to remember to use more of these :) in my comments.

WerenCole
10-11-2006, 01:20 AM
Torre is staying. . . good thing too. There is a mutual respect between the classy folks of the Sox and Yanks, and Torre is one of those characters that the Red Sox Nation indeed does respect.

A-Rod on the other hand. . ummm. . . not so much.

Daisuke Matsuzaka, hot Japanese import coming to America for the 2007 season. Hope the Sox land him. With the free agent pool so thin in pitchers this year, this could be the make or break signing for the would-be contenders next year.

Soccer Mom
10-11-2006, 02:36 AM
Football is number one followed by NASCAR for me. Then comes baseball. Then hockey. And during the Olympics? I'll watch anything during the Olympics. My life screeches to a halt.

aka eraser
10-11-2006, 02:55 AM
I'm with you when it comes to the Olympics Mom but I just don't "get" car racing. Sure draws crowds though.

WerenCole
10-11-2006, 04:34 AM
I can't avoid NASCAR where I live. . . I just try to hide the remote to the best of my abilities on Sunday so as to keep football on. . . or baseball playoffs.

Soccer Mom
10-11-2006, 05:28 AM
Auto racing is sooo much better in person. It's something that you have to experience to really "get." The best part is the start of the race. When the green flag falls and all 43 cars drop the hammer at the same time....wow. You can feel the sound. I've got tickets for the November race at TMS. :) It's like any sport though. The more you understand the players and the strategies involved the more fun it is.

And I do love the Olympics. There's nothing better. I especially love the obscure sports with atheletes who toil in obscurity for one shot at glory. It's pure sport.

Silver King
10-11-2006, 05:52 AM
I especially love the obscure sports with atheletes who toil in obscurity for one shot at glory. It's pure sport.
Phew. For a second there, I thought you were going to bring up curling.

poetinahat
10-11-2006, 06:14 AM
Torre is staying. . . good thing too. There is a mutual respect between the classy folks of the Sox and Yanks, and Torre is one of those characters that the Red Sox Nation indeed does respect.

A-Rod on the other hand. . ummm. . . not so much.
Mate, what's the local Red Sox Nation view on Johnny Damon? Me, I figure a guy's got a right to make a deal for himself, and I haven't heard him bag his old team. On the other hand, I don't mind seeing that it hasn't gotten him back to the WS this year.

Haggis
10-11-2006, 06:19 AM
Top of the 6th, Tigers 5, Oakland zip. Life's good. Except I do miss curling.

Soccer Mom
10-11-2006, 08:11 AM
The tigers are looking good. Taking a game from Zito is big. Kenny Rogers has always owned Oakland.

C.bronco
10-11-2006, 05:39 PM
The November race at TMS, Soccer Mom? Is that the final cup race?

WerenCole
10-11-2006, 08:26 PM
Mate, what's the local Red Sox Nation view on Johnny Damon? Me, I figure a guy's got a right to make a deal for himself, and I haven't heard him bag his old team. On the other hand, I don't mind seeing that it hasn't gotten him back to the WS this year.

The official nation view puts Johnny Judas Damon in the same league as all the other hired guns of the Yanks who have not won a series. . . ie Sheffield, A-Rod, Giambi etc. He is a formidable foe and we respect his talents but his injustice cannot / willnot be forgotten.

Other than that he seems like a reasonable chap. A little arrogant, but when you are on the same team as A-Rod, all of a sudden you look incredibly modest.

aka eraser
10-11-2006, 09:07 PM
As long as you're not bitter Weren....

;)

jst5150
10-11-2006, 10:07 PM
Detroit vs. St. Louis. Detroit in 6.

Of course, I mean the Stanley Cup ... ;-)

WerenCole
10-13-2006, 08:48 PM
There is something recently that riled me up to no end.

First of all let me preface this by saying rest in peace Cory Lidle. Truly a great tragedy.

My problem is this. Because Lidle was a New York Yankee (a throw in from the Phillies in the Bobby Abreu deal) it seems that how he died by crashing an airplane into a building in Manhattan can be made light of. I've heard some ignorant fellows make some very bad jokes. This upsets me to no end. A guy last night at the bar was trying to convince me that since I am a Red Sox fan I should be able to make fun, or even be happy to see the Yankees lose a member of their starting rotation. "If it was a pitcher from the Devil Rays it would not be funny."

It is never funny. This is a human life we are talking about here. A man, not a Yankee, not a mediocre pitcher on a team full of mediocre pitchers, A Man. His death was tragic and his life should be respected, not made light of. The guy was telling me that Yankees fans would respond in the same ignorant way if the pitcher was a Red Sock. I disagree with this, Yankees fans, though often rude and sometimes violent, have respect for their competitors. If Curt Schilling died in a plane crash I believe the Yankee Nation would rally behind for support. Fans of these two teams are as professional as the players for the organizations. We understand the game and respect those who play it the right way. Red Sox fans love Derek Jeter, yet hate A-Rod. Yankees fans respect David Ortiz and chide Manny Ramirez. Never though would any person from either side, with any pride or respect in humanity, wish tragedy on the opposition. Injuries yes, tragedy no.

Take for instance the case of Red Sox stud rookiee pitcher Jon Lester who was diagnosed with non-hodgkins lymphoma in the middle of August. The Yankee nation was the first to officially offer support and best wishes.

Baseball is a game. Life is real. Respect what you have and be grateful for the lives of those who cannot be with use anymore.

Sorry for the rant, I just needed to get that off my chest.

Haggis
10-16-2006, 04:19 AM
Just like I expected, he says, while refusing to make eye contact :rolleyes: , my Tigers have made it to the World Series. I am elated, as is all of south eastern Michigan.

Did anyone think they had a chance? Did anyone think they could possibly beat the best team in baseball three straight, then sweep the Athletics? Do they have a chance in the World Series? And who is the likely contender? Any thoughts?

poetinahat
10-16-2006, 04:36 AM
A chance?

Hell, they're red-hot, and they've got a week to heal. By Game 1, Sean Casey's hammie will be good again, and Joel Zumaya will be ready to sling 100+ heat.

The Tigers have to be at least 50-50, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them favored. With a rest and home-field advantage (starting in Detroit, so they're already at home), they're looking mighty good.

The questions, IMO, will be:
1. How will the youngbloods (Zumaya, Bonderman, et al.) handle being in a Series?

2. Will a seven-day rest cool them off?

3. Will the NL contenders work each other over, leaving a softened-up victor to face the fresh Tigers, or will one team come out hot?

My take (unbiased, natch):

1. They'll be fine. They faced up to the Yankees after getting clocked in the first game, then turned around and blew them out. They did the same to the A's.

ALCS Game 4 showed they can stay hungry. They fought back from a three-run deficit to kill off the series, when they could have easily let the game go, knowing they had another game at home, then two more in Oakland, to clinch. No dice; they finished the job. They're ready. And they've got a good old head to guide them through.

2. Maybe for a game, two tops. But not for four games. It'll be a good Series. The Tigers had the best record in baseball for large chunks of the season, and they didn't finish far behind, even with a terrible slump. They're nobody's patsies, and they've got belief and momentum.

3. I think the Cards will get there, and they'll be hot. If the Mets do it, they've got pitching worries; horrible luck after a brilliant season. And their relievers could be tired.

Haggis
10-16-2006, 04:49 AM
I like your analysis, Poet.

The Tigers (most of them) are young, and the testosterone is flowing. I'm not sure the 7 day rest is the best thing for them now. Still, I love the idea of having Casey and Zumaya back. Bondo and Verlander have done OK so far. Bonderman, though still a kid, has been in the bigs for 3 or 4 years already, so I don't think he'll fold. And, you've gotta love Kenny Rodgers in the post season. Who'd a thunk it? All things being equal, I think I'll take the break and let the other two teams beat each other up.

As always, pitching will decide it. If the Tiger's young staff holds up, I think they just might take it.

Perks
10-16-2006, 04:54 AM
Baseball. Oh really? It's preempted 'House MD'.

And besides, the Grand Prix Driver's World Championship is currently tied with one race to go and the winningest driver of all time retiring 1st (for the 8th time) if he can possibly pull it off next week in Brazil.

Baseball. Pffffft.

poetinahat
10-16-2006, 05:02 AM
Just to keep you up to date -- for the next two weeks on House:

Patient comes in with puzzling symptoms. Treatment makes him/her worse, not better. Turns out the patient hasn't told the doctors everything: there's some bizarre tidbit in their lifestyle that leads to infections of a kind rarely seen since 1900. Meanwhile, House deeply insults all his most devoted friends, revealing how much he loves them. His coterie of gifted young doctors backstab each other, but with professional respect.

In the end, the patient survives, but at what cost?

(Formula One? There's more passing on a merry-go-round, unless you count pitstops....)

Perks
10-16-2006, 05:03 AM
It's the journey, not the destination, you heathen.

poetinahat
10-16-2006, 05:06 AM
Why do women always tell me that? :D

Haggis
10-16-2006, 05:09 AM
Baseball. Pffffft.

That is just so wrong. No peanuts or Cracker Jacks for you, young lady.

Perks
10-16-2006, 05:15 AM
I can buy both at Ingles. No need to watch overpaid pudges pout around the bases past their primes.

(I just love working up America's Pastimers)

Perks
10-16-2006, 05:15 AM
(Formula One? There's more passing on a merry-go-round, unless you count pitstops....)You bastard.

poetinahat
10-16-2006, 05:19 AM
I can buy both at Ingles. No need to watch overpaid pudges pout around the bases past their primes.
And the game is tied. Bastard, right back.

Pudge is a god, and he's worth every cent the Tigers pay him. And I don't care how he grimaces, as long as he keeps motoring around those bases.

Haggis
10-16-2006, 05:20 AM

(I just love working up America's Pastimers)

No, no. That's the Yankees (except for the Pudge part).

I take it you'd rather watch cars careen carelessly around curves, occasionally crashing into crowds. No problem. We'll put you on a hot dog time out too.

Perks
10-16-2006, 05:24 AM
Truce! You obviously get a lift from grease and jiggle and klunk - spitting is cathartic, I'm sure. Mine comes from sleekness, precision and technology at its zenith - gentlemanly decorum is probably overrated.

Can't we all just get along?

Haggis
10-16-2006, 05:27 AM
Truce! You obviously get a lift from grease and jiggle and klunk - spitting is cathartic, I'm sure. Mine comes from sleekness, precision and technology at its zenith - gentlemanly decorum is probably overrated.

Can't we all just get along?

*spits, then adjusts himself*

Truce it is. :D

Soccer Mom
10-16-2006, 05:28 AM
Detroit in 5.

Soccer Mom
10-16-2006, 05:29 AM
The November race at TMS, Soccer Mom? Is that the final cup race?

Next to last. :D

Perks
10-16-2006, 05:34 AM
We'll put you on a hot dog time out too.I hate to break it to you, but franks are made of lips and ***holes. Use lots of mustard, you'll probably forget.

Haggis
10-16-2006, 05:40 AM
I hate to break it to you, but franks are made of lips and ***holes. Use lots of mustard, you'll probably forget.

And that's why I buy

http://www.conagrafoods.com/images/brands/product_jpgs/hebrew_national.jpg

Perks
10-16-2006, 05:41 AM
You bring your own dogs to the ballpark?

And cow lips and ***holes are grandly superior to pork. Good thinking.

Haggis
10-16-2006, 05:47 AM
You bring your own dogs to the ballpark?

And cow lips and ***holes are grandly superior to pork. Good thinking.

There are no ***holes there, Perks. They Yankees have been out of it for some time.

Perks
10-16-2006, 05:52 AM
Yeah, well, bring your own mustard too.

And since no one wants to talk Formula 1, I'll leave you savages to it. Sigh. I'm alone.

poetinahat
10-16-2006, 06:03 AM
The official nation view puts Johnny Judas Damon in the same league as all the other hired guns of the Yanks who have not won a series. . . ie Sheffield, A-Rod, Giambi etc. He is a formidable foe and we respect his talents but his injustice cannot / willnot be forgotten.

Other than that he seems like a reasonable chap. A little arrogant, but when you are on the same team as A-Rod, all of a sudden you look incredibly modest.
Yeah, but he was one of The Idiots. He did help bring the Red Sox a World Series, and he hit a couple of very significant homers on the way there -- if I remember correctly, he had a grand slam in ALCS game 7, and led off WS Game 4 with a solo shot.

I can't see how people would throw that away; I'd think there'd at least be some ambivalence. Clemens would be more of a Judas, I'd think. Not to mention Pedro. "Respect"? Please.

You have to feel for the guys who got shipped out - Nomar, Mientkewicz, Roberts, Derek Lowe, Mueller, Millar, Arroyo....

If Epstein's still a hero after shipping out these guys, why does Damon suffer?

poetinahat
10-16-2006, 06:13 AM
Yeah, well, bring your own mustard too.

And since no one wants to talk Formula 1, I'll leave you savages to it. Sigh. I'm alone.
When Mark Webber gets an engine that survives the race, I'll join you for an espresso and Gauloises at Monaco. Promise!

Perks
10-16-2006, 06:27 AM
Well, they're rumored to be getting Renaults at Red Bull next year, so... The Ferraris have been quite reliable, so even if they give the Renaults to Toro Rosso, he'll be in better shape.

He's cool. I like Mark Webber.

poetinahat
10-16-2006, 08:42 AM
And that's why I buy

http://www.conagrafoods.com/images/brands/product_jpgs/hebrew_national.jpg
IIRC, these are served at beautiful Jacobs Field, Cleveland.

*sigh* I miss pro baseball. I'd better get to the beach this weekend and ease my pain in a few rolling waves.

WerenCole
10-16-2006, 07:57 PM
If Epstein's still a hero after shipping out these guys, why does Damon suffer?

Because he is a hypocrite. . .

All the success he had with the Sox only makes matters worse. Kinda like Boggs. I cried watching Boggs on the horse after the Yanks won in '96.

samgail
10-17-2006, 09:27 AM
*sigh* I miss pro baseball. I'd better get to the beach this weekend and ease my pain in a few rolling waves.

*knife twists* I forgot to plug my car in, I better put my parka on and check.

poetinahat
10-19-2006, 08:29 AM
Because he is a hypocrite. . .

All the success he had with the Sox only makes matters worse. Kinda like Boggs. I cried watching Boggs on the horse after the Yanks won in '96.
I never really thought Boggs gave that bleed-for-the-cause feeling. Too aloof; too stats-oriented. Kind of a "Yeah, we lost the game, but I went 3-for-4" guy.

Game 7 is on in the NLCS... finally. I hope it goes 38 innings.

aka eraser
10-19-2006, 08:47 AM
Game 7 is on in the NLCS... finally. I hope it goes 38 innings.

I'm with ya there Rob.

Well, 15 innings. I gotta sleep sometime. :)

expatbrat
10-19-2006, 10:31 AM
The Yankies are that team that play in sox instead of shoes right?

All the American-football-padding is pretty woosie if you ask me. Real men play RUGBY!!! Who has the best looking rugby team. I'll admit it is def not Australia (huge shame - guess all our hot guys are rowing boats down at the surf clubs). The New Zealand team look fantastic in thier tight black outfits. And the British team look nice in their white and red.

Am I using this thread correctly?

aka eraser
10-19-2006, 07:21 PM
Um, not exactly expat but I'll move your post to where it WILL fit in nicely: The Hot Stove thread. :)

Soccer Mom
10-20-2006, 11:42 PM
World series predictions? Go on record now (and gloat or sulk later).

Tigers in 5.

Haggis
10-20-2006, 11:52 PM
World series predictions? Go on record now (and gloat or sulk later).

Tigers in 5.

Yup. Maybe 6, but probably 5.

aka eraser
10-22-2006, 02:57 AM
Tigers in 6.

Perks
10-22-2006, 03:46 AM
And Michael Schumacher had fuel line problems, leaving him at P10 for the final race of his career. <sob>

poetinahat
10-23-2006, 06:51 AM
So... How 'bout that Kenny Rogers? As I write this, he's pitched 7 innings of one-hit, shutout baseball. 92 pitches. I bet he faces two more batters, then leaves the game to the ovation of a lifetime.

Man, I wish I could be seeing this on TV.

Perks
10-23-2006, 06:53 AM
So... How 'bout that Kenny Rogers? You got know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em

That kenny rogers? That could make me watch baseball...

Haggis
10-23-2006, 06:54 AM
So... How 'bout that Kenny Rogers? As I write this, he's pitched 7 innings of one-hit, shutout baseball. 92 pitches. I bet he faces two more batters, then leaves the game to the ovation of a lifetime.

Man, I wish I could be seeing this on TV.

Aw, Poet. It's awesome. Sorry you're missing it.

It's 39 degrees F in Detroit right now. What a day for baseball.

poetinahat
10-23-2006, 06:56 AM
Could be -- I think they're about the same age.

You just keep decoratin' my life, Perks.

Perks
10-23-2006, 06:59 AM
Well, us being islands in the stream and all...

(this could get stupid - fast)

Haggis
10-23-2006, 07:02 AM
Well, us being islands in the stream and all...

(this could get stupid - fast)

As long as someone doesn't ruin it by interjecting baseball updates.

Bottom of the 8th. 2 hitter for Rodgers. Still 3 zip.

Perks
10-23-2006, 07:05 AM
Sour puss. I'm not harping on Formula1 - even though the season closer was thrilling.

poetinahat
10-23-2006, 07:14 AM
Fortunately, my Kenny Rogers music knowledge is spent.

Wish I could help you, Perks -- I didn't watch the race. I salute Schumacher as one of the all-time greats, but I can't really feel sorry for him. He did very well (Schumacher-like, even) to climb from last to fourth, but hey -- he won, what, SEVEN championships? He didn't make a lot of friends along the way, but hey -- nor did many of his predecessors.

Meanwhile, Rogers has thrown 98 pitches. Does he get a chance to pitch a complete game? (And whatever happened to complete games, anyway?)

Still, the Cards are within striking distance. The Tigers have left a lot of runners on base; I hope they aren't left to rue their profligacy!

Perks
10-23-2006, 07:18 AM
Wish I could help you, Perks -- I didn't watch the race. I salute Schumacher as one of the all-time greats, but I can't really feel sorry for him. He did very well (Schumacher-like, even) to climb from last to fourth

And that's not the whole story. Mechanical failure yesterday led to a tenth place starting position. Within nine laps he was battling for fourth and suffered a punctured tire from debris on the road. So, that's when he ended up last to come back all the way to fourth.

It was great...

Okay, I'm done. Back to baseball.

Haggis
10-23-2006, 07:20 AM
Bases loaded. Two outs. Top of the ninth. 3 to 2.

Haggis
10-23-2006, 07:21 AM
Done. Tiges 3, Cards 2.

poetinahat
10-23-2006, 07:25 AM
3 to 2? Sportsline's only showing 3 to 1!

Holy cow -- what a nailbiting finish. If the Cards had won that game, I'd have said they were locks to win the Series.

Haggis
10-23-2006, 07:35 AM
3 to 2? Sportsline's only showing 3 to 1!

Holy cow -- what a nailbiting finish. If the Cards had won that game, I'd have said they were locks to win the Series.

3 to 1. My bad. I guess I'll blame it on nerves. What an exciting game. What an exciting finish. I think this is going to be a great series, even though the folks on either coast won't really care about it.

poetinahat
10-23-2006, 09:31 AM
I didn't see it, but I did see that the last out was made at second, and the bases had been loaded. So a runner would've crossed the plate on the play, only the run wouldn't have counted, unless the batter and runners had all advanced safely before the out was made.

It's fun even to contemplate. See you in St. Louis!

aka eraser
10-23-2006, 05:01 PM
It was a fine game and this is shaping up to be a great Series. (There's gonna be some talk about Rogers doctoring the ball with that pine tar "dirt" on his pitching hand though.)

C.bronco
10-23-2006, 05:58 PM
Oh, Junior, Junior! He could have had a top ten finish yesterday. Still, it wasn't a bad finish, and Harvick climbed in the points standing. Atlanta Motor Speedway next week I think. Any thoughts?

WerenCole
10-23-2006, 11:38 PM
My original prediction was Tigers in 5. . .

The Cards win Game 1 because of the adrenalin still flowing from the Game 7 victory, but the rested Tigers have too much for the Cards who can't seem to hit with runners in scoring position. Thats how the Tigers got past the A's and I don't see the Cards as a better team than the A's, nor the Yankees.

Sorry Trish. . .

(BTW, my official prediction is now Tigers in 6. . .)

Soccer Mom
10-24-2006, 12:13 AM
I stand by Tigers in five. I gave them one flub. Now they're done with it.

Cynthia: Sorry about your driver's bad day. But Yahooooooo for my guys :D

C.bronco
10-24-2006, 06:29 PM
Thanks Soccer Mom, it could have been much worse. The points standing doesn't look too bad, there's still hope. I'm disappointed that a top 5 finish didn't seem to boost Jeff's chances. It was good to see him break his unlucky streak.

Soccer Mom
10-25-2006, 06:54 AM
Yeah, I'm afraid the DNFs have dug too big of a hole for him. That was his best track. Phoenix, Homestead, and Texas haven't been so good to him in the past. I was sorry to see Burton lose the lead to Kenseth. I hope he can pull it out.

aka eraser
10-27-2006, 05:01 PM
Cards up 3-1.

Y'now...the beauty of being a registered member here at AW is the ability to go back and edit your predictions posts....

Haggis
10-27-2006, 05:25 PM
Did I say Tigers in 5? I meant Tigers in 7. :rolleyes:

Soccer Mom
10-27-2006, 06:07 PM
:( Weaver is back for game five. My prediction is already shot. I hope Tigers can rally.

Haggis
10-28-2006, 08:17 AM
Did I say Tigers in 7? I meant Cards in 5.

Congrats, Cards fans. Next year we'll make sure our pitchers practice their defense better.

You're welcome for Jeff Weaver, by the way. ;)

Have fun and enjoy the moment. It doesn't happen too often unless you have a wallet the size of a Steinbrenner.

In a way, I'm glad it's over. I can finally get to bed on time now, and I've managed to get back into my old avatar skin, which I've been missing. Anyone have an extra Milk Bone?

aka eraser
11-01-2006, 11:19 PM
Any hoops fans? I've come late to the sport and only began watching it a couple of years ago. I root for the Raptors and am pretty excited about their chances of squeaking into the playoffs this year. I know the pre-season means squat in the great scheme of things but going 6-1 has to help their confidence after the horrendous year they had last year.

WerenCole
11-02-2006, 11:41 PM
I cried for old Red. . .

Our Celt aren't going to be so hot this year. . . oh well. At least the Pats are still good. I can always count on the Pats. (Seems funny to say that since they were really bad when I grew up. . . they used to play the Bengals in the "Toilet Bowl". . .)

WerenCole
11-03-2006, 07:04 AM
Yes my friend. . . I will not make this a Sox love fest (Rob. . .Dear Aussie Poet, where are you?) but I am of the belief that Dave Roberts steal followed by Billy's single is probably one of the greatest moments in the long legends of baseball lore. It goes down with Willie Mays's Catch, the Bambino calling his shot and Kurt Gibson's Game 1 home run on one knee. (DC, I know you must cry for that one too.)

Greatest Comeback in Sports History (or the greatest choke job. . . though I tend to have a more romantic notion of it).

Yes, the Patriots and Dynasty do seem a little funny. . . and the Celts may just grab a playoff spot for the sole reason that after the NBA's divisional realignment our division has been poor. We just might win it with 38-42 wins. . . the Eastern Conference on a whole has been so weak that might be all it takes.

In a few years I might call for Danny Ainge's head, but not quite yet.

Go Bruins! (Where is Joe Thorton. . . oh yeah. . nevermind)

C.bronco
11-06-2006, 08:26 PM
Hey, where's Soccer Mom? I want details from TMS!

C.bronco
11-06-2006, 10:44 PM
And here's the latest news:

Nascar officials announced results from the Harvick-Riggs Crew scuffle on Sunday. It appears that the blame was erroneously placed on a member of the Scott Riggs Pit Crew. An unidentified woman working under the alias of "Soccer Mom" was responsible for pushing Kevin Harvick and knocking over DaLena Harvick and a Nascar official.
"I was really just aiming for DaLena," said Soccer Mom. "Kevin needed more time alone to travel to, say, New Jersey." Later she stated, "C.bronco made me do it."

The Texas Sun Times

Wow! Can you believe what they'll publish in the paper these days!

Soccer Mom
11-07-2006, 07:57 AM
:D Hi CB! I thought of you as I tried to snatch Dalena up by her hair. Whooooeee that was one COLD weekend. I had a great time, but it was cold and miserable. I was there from Thursday night until Sunday evening. Traffic? The race was over by five. I was home by ten. I live two hours away. I was so disappointed. I thought for a minute that Jimmy could do it, but no one had anything for Tony. He was unbeliveable. The people with season tickets next to us are big Tony fans so they were really happy.

Silver King
11-07-2006, 08:29 AM
Soccer, did your dog outgrow the sandal?

poetinahat
11-07-2006, 08:47 AM
Yes my friend. . . I will not make this a Sox love fest (Rob. . .Dear Aussie Poet, where are you?) but I am of the belief that Dave Roberts steal followed by Billy's single is probably one of the greatest moments in the long legends of baseball lore. It goes down with Willie Mays's Catch, the Bambino calling his shot and Kurt Gibson's Game 1 home run on one knee. (DC, I know you must cry for that one too.)

Greatest Comeback in Sports History (or the greatest choke job. . . though I tend to have a more romantic notion of it).
Just found this -- Weren, you're ALIVE! Hallelujah!

I still haven't actually seen The Steal. My TV provider (the company for whom I work) dropped ESPN from the basic package DURING THE 2004 PLAYOFFS. I missed the Series.

You get some funny things happening over here: like going to a pub Monday morning to watch the Super Bowl and not being able to see it, because the punters are watching the cricket. "Wait until they score the 20 runs to avoid the follow-on, then we'll switch over," they said. We cancelled our orders and left. Watched the Super Bowl elsewhere. Saw the cricket afterward: they were JUST scoring the twentieth run by then. (It was a sloooooow match.)

For the twelfth year in a row, I entered the Melbourne Cup sweep (it's the horse race that stops everything in Australia for half a day, the first Tuesday in November). For the eleventh year in a row, I won nothing. At least work is a happy place; everybody's getting loaded.

C.bronco
11-07-2006, 06:14 PM
:D Hi CB! I thought of you as I tried to snatch Dalena up by her hair. Whooooeee that was one COLD weekend. I had a great time, but it was cold and miserable. I was there from Thursday night until Sunday evening. Traffic? The race was over by five. I was home by ten. I live two hours away. I was so disappointed. I thought for a minute that Jimmy could do it, but no one had anything for Tony. He was unbeliveable. The people with season tickets next to us are big Tony fans so they were really happy.

Thanks for trying! I was hoping Jimmie could catch him even though I like Tony. Bad for Kasey, he almost got him too. No one's car was fast enough!

Soccer Mom
11-08-2006, 10:00 PM
My dad was so bummed about Kasey. How can you blow up on a caution lap? Sigh.

C.bronco
11-10-2006, 10:38 PM
We've got two to go: Phoenix and Homestead! Any thoughts about who will win the cup?
Qualifying today 5 PM EST, Busch Sat. 3:30 EST, Nextel Sun. 3:00 EST.
Boy oh boy!

Soccer Mom
11-14-2006, 02:34 AM
Jimmie J :) I hope.

WerenCole
11-14-2006, 09:51 PM
Just In- Red Sox post bid of near 50 million dollars to Seibu Lions of Japans Nibbon league just to have the rights to negotiate with Daisuke (hot pitcher coming out of Japan). . .

Ummm. . . Good. I think, that is a lot of money for one pitcher, and that is not even his contract, just the fee to negotiate. More on this to come as I figure somethings out.

poetinahat
11-15-2006, 06:20 AM
Thanks for the update, kp. Hadn't thought of it as a move to block the Yankees, but that makes sense.

Do they really get the money back if there's no agreement? I can't imagine a pitcher being worth that money ON TOP of a huge contract. That's almost three times the Marlins' entire payroll, according to this article (http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/9803361) (quoting the fee at $51 million). Never pitched in the majors. And he's a pitcher -- he gets hurt, or he starts losing the head-games, and that's it.

This feels like a desperation move to me. It's a big, big gamble.

Haggis
11-15-2006, 09:47 PM
There's a little college football game happening this Saturday in *gag* central Ohio. Have the number 1 and 2 team ever squared off before on the last game of the regular schedule?

GO BLUE! (http://www.enc.edu/%7Epaul.g.nyce/personal/images/michigan_lg.jpg)

C.bronco
11-15-2006, 09:52 PM
RE: Nextel Cup
I think Jimmie has to come in the top 12 on Sunday to win the cup.

Soccer Mom
11-15-2006, 11:03 PM
The red sox have lost their ever-loving minds! Wow.

WerenCole
11-17-2006, 09:28 PM
Think of it like this: What does a pitcher of that caliber (probably the best on the market) cost on the free agent market? These days he would sign a contract that is close to $18-20 million a year, if he was established. Scott Boras, Matasuzka's agent, is thinking about $12 million a year. For four years that $48 million. They are overpaying only slightly if you think about it. That's $72-80 million right there. The overall worth is going to be about $100 million. Didn't the Mets sign Carlos Beltran to a $120 million contract. . . A-Rod is making $25 million a year. Any Yankee starter is making more than $16 million. In baseball sense this is not an outrageous sum of money, if you think of the total package.

Yes, it is a move to block him from the Yankees, who were the next highests bidders at $39 million. (The Sox official bid was $51.1). The Red Sox want to sign him though, for a variety of reasons. One is that Epstein & co are salivating over the prospect of a rotation that includes:
1. Schilling
2. Papelbon
3. Matsazuka
4. Beckett
5. Tim Wakefield

(6) Julian Tavarez
(7) Lenny Dinardo
(8) Jon Lester? Maybe not soon, but he will be back.

We are not making the same mistake we did last year with the thought that we only have 5 slots and 7 pitchers, then trading Arroyo away. We are starting five strong and have two decent long relievers/ spot starters in the bullpen. Also, look at that rotation. This makes Beckett, prone to one or two lazy pitches a night that get blown out of the park, as the fourth starter. I will take Josh Beckett as my fourth starter any day, any year.

Still more to it than just the money. The Red Sox stand to make a significant amount of that $51.1 million back with new connections to the far east. The Yankees and Mariners both make BIG bucks from the asian market, and their teams have both become desired locations for other Asian stars. The cost of the bid to the Seibu Lions only engratiates us to the Nibbon league with further dealings and the revenue from over there offsets the outrageous bid. Anyway, we can afford it. Last year, despite having the second highest payroll in baseball, we were actually a little tight fisted in how much we spent. Hence Jonny Damon is now a Yankee. Curt Schilling said earlier this month that he had the feeling Epstein and Co would break out the bank for this year. . . and this is only the beginning. Look for a hot young short stop by the name of Julio Lugo by mid-december and possibly an incentive laden contract to one Mr. Eric Gagne as a closer with a contingency plan of Craig Hanson should that go south in mid-season.

For further analysis, I will send you my column if you want.

C.bronco
11-19-2006, 08:03 AM
Keeeeviiiiin!!!
Wheee!

C.bronco
11-21-2006, 05:17 PM
Jimmie Johnson takes it! My son is in denial and insists Junior got the checkered flag.
Maybe I should do a countdown 'til Feb. 18th.......

Soccer Mom
11-23-2006, 03:56 AM
I'm already counting! My son was so excited. I'm going to get him some "championship" gear for christmas. :) He's already got a hat and shirt and swim trunks with the number 48. I guess he needs one that says "Nextel Champion" too. :)

Perks
12-05-2006, 07:16 AM
Okay, one observation and one prediction. Next time you're watching ocho-cinco (Chad Johnson of the Cinncinnati Bengals) imagine that he is the unlikely love child of Terrell Owens and Mike Tyson. It works - in appearance and attitude. See if it doesn't.

And sometime before the end of the season, Joe Theisman is going to come out of his chair and beat the ever-loving snot out of Tony Kornheiser.

Silver King
12-05-2006, 07:31 AM
Okay, one observation and one prediction. Next time you're watching ocho-cinco (Chad Johnson of the Cinncinnati Bengals) imagine that he is the unlikely love child of Terrell Owens and Mike Tyson. It works - in appearance and attitude. See if it doesn't.
It does, but I wish you hadn't brought it up. No amount of face slapping, on my part, stops that image.

Another drink might help...

Perks
12-05-2006, 07:33 AM
Another drink always helps...

Silver King
12-05-2006, 07:39 AM
The vision hasn't gone yet, but I'm tryin'.

Damn cheap wine...

poetinahat
12-05-2006, 07:44 AM
Hey, it's Day Five in the Adelaide Test, and England are 97/7, an overall lead of 135! After declaring at 551/6 and being in control on Day Two, they *could* lose this match! Fantastic stuff -- Warney's bowling his head off!

Guys? ... Anyone?

*chirp* *chirp*

Perks
12-05-2006, 07:48 AM
What are you on about man? It's Monday Night Football. There's still an American heart beating in that chest - don't fight it.

Silver King
12-05-2006, 07:55 AM
Guys? ... Anyone?

*chirp* *chirp*

Damn cheap wine...*
:e2drunk:

Haggis
12-05-2006, 08:01 AM
After declaring at 551/6 and being in control on Day Two, they *could* lose this match!

dclary is involved in all of this? :Wha:

poetinahat
12-05-2006, 08:03 AM
:e2drunk:
THAT'S what I'm talkin' about....

What are you on about man? It's Monday Night Football. There's still an American heart beating in that chest - don't fight it.
Yes, but who are these 'Panthers' people? I don't remember them. Are they CFL? ;)

Perks
12-05-2006, 08:05 AM
I don't know, but they sure suck. This could very well be the buttbowl.

Soccer Mom
12-05-2006, 06:50 PM
That was a fugly game last night. Ick. But next Sunday is chock full of good match ups.

WerenCole
12-05-2006, 09:41 PM
Would someone send a memo to Jake Delhomme telling him that there are 4 quarters in a football game? I mean really. . . no wonder we beat them in the SuperBowl a couple years ago. . . same with Philly. Why is it that Tom Brady is the only QB in the league to actually play well in the fourth quarter? We will also stop turning the ball over. . . it is our only weakness.

Rex Grossman= 1.4 passer rating v. the Vikings. Yeah, that's going to win some championships in the Windy City. It is really simple, you can't win off ONLY defense and special teams.

Baseball Winter Meetings. . . who paying attention? Where will Manny go? I've got a pool running, who wants in?

aka eraser
12-05-2006, 11:15 PM
American football.

<yawn>

Wake me when it's time for the Stupor Bowl. So I can roll over on my other side.

:)

I'm interested in the Winter Meetings though, primarily to see who J. P. Riccardi's gonna overpay for this year.

Break up the Raptors! They won 2 in a row! They're 7-10!

WerenCole
12-06-2006, 02:48 AM
J.P. has done been quiet. . . let me check on some things for you real quick though. . .

*goes to mlb.com (the only other site I spend more time on than this one)*

Alright. . . I am back and here is a surprise: The Jays are looking for Pitching! (Who the hell is not looking for pitching?)

Trying to resign Ted Lilly, looking at Gil Meche, Mark Redman, Jeff Suppan among others. The payroll for next year will increase and he has about $10 million to work with, but he has already signed Frank Thomas and Royce Clayton.

No word yet on whether anybody is interested in Vernon Wells. They damn well should be, at $5.6 mil for next season he is a relative steal in this market. . . as long as the trade price is not to high. Overall though through the beginning of the meetings the Jays remain in a relative state of "somewhat inactive" but of all the major sports this is the one where very strange things can happen inside of one week in the middle of the off-season. Stay tuned.

aka eraser
12-06-2006, 08:14 PM
...No word yet on whether anybody is interested in Vernon Wells. They damn well should be, at $5.6 mil for next season he is a relative steal in this market. . . as long as the trade price is not to high.

The Jays first priority should be signing Wells to a long-term deal. He's a genuine 5-tool player and they don't fall off trees. Unless someone makes a gobsmackingly generous trade offer for him (Read: 1 above-average starter, 1 everyday outfielder with some pop and a prospect or 3) they HAVE to lock him up for 4+years. Whatever it will cost to do that now, probably 15-18 million/year, it will cost 20% more if they wait another few months.

WerenCole
12-07-2006, 05:53 AM
Manny? I feel like he'll be back in Boston next year. He's got such an enormous salary and he's at 10/5, so I think he's going to be tough to deal. Maybe the Dodgers? Or the Giants? What's your suspician Weren?

I very much doubt the Giants have the ability to put a package together for Manny. . . Bonds will be there next year, no doubt. Especially because Oakland has now signed Piazza to be the DH, thus leaving SF as the only Bay area team for Barry. I would be very surprised if he ends up playing anywhere else in his career.

The Dodgers are interesting. With all the moves that they are currently making they might think that they have the ability to trade a prospect, especially a pitching prospect now that they have signed Jason Schmidt. A reunion with Grady Little, D-Lowe and everybody else out there in "Red Sox West" (or maybe we are now "Dodgers East" with the addition of J.D. Drew and Julio Lugo)

That brings up an interesting point. With two potent bats out of the line up in Drew and Lugo that maybe they are more inclined to give the Sox the prospects they want.

In terms of Manny's salary, at this point it is not outrageous. $37 million for two years in this year's free agent market is not huge. Consider the size of the contracts given to Drew, Carlos Lee, and Soriano. Manny has better production than the three of them and is no more of a defensive liability than Soriano is in left field (or 2nd base).

It is not news that Manny wants to play on the West Coast and stay in the American League (which screams "TRADE ME TO THE ANGELS!!!!!!!") but at last report his list of teams that he would not mind playing for was 13-14 teams long. That says to me that he has opened up a little bit and that he really wants to go. San Diego. . . good ole sunny San Diego, would be a great place for Manny. If they are not going to give us Jake Peavy though, I don't want any deal from the Friars. As a 10/5 guy he would probably veto trades to most east coast teams, including Baltimore, if that so called Tejada for Manny deal actually comes back up (and there have been whispers but I very much doubt it with the signing of Lugo unless Lugo is willing to play second, which by most reports he is not)

There have been rumors of three team deals that could send Manny to the Angels through the Nationals, but I do not like what we get in return. . . even if it is Ervin Santana + prospects.

People keep asking me over these last 24 hours what I think of the Lugo/Drew deal. I am keeping mum until I know where Manny is going to go and what we are going to get for him. . . Also waiting to see if we sign Matsazuka. After December 14th I will have an opinion on the '07 Sox but until then I can just react to what I hear. . .

WerenCole
12-07-2006, 05:59 AM
The Jays first priority should be signing Wells to a long-term deal. He's a genuine 5-tool player and they don't fall off trees. Unless someone makes a gobsmackingly generous trade offer for him (Read: 1 above-average starter, 1 everyday outfielder with some pop and a prospect or 3) they HAVE to lock him up for 4+years. Whatever it will cost to do that now, probably 15-18 million/year, it will cost 20% more if they wait another few months.

Of course. At this point nothing other than a blockbuster is going to bring in what the Jays want.

I do not know much about V. Wells. . . does he like it in Toronto, thus making him more inclined to stay north of the border? How is team chemistry? The desire to win with Toronto? (That is a special misnomer, one that is working in Chicago as Lou Piniella is actively calling free agents telling them how special it would be to win a series in Chicago. . . how do you think that Ted Lilly is interested?) To win in Toronto would mean to knock out both the Red Sox and the Yankees, a special accomplishment these days.

By the way Frank, savor the flavor. . . that is the LAST second place finish in the AL East you are going to see for at least a decade. . . and don't even dream of first. :Hug2:

Perks
12-08-2006, 07:15 AM
Tonight's unfortunate love child, brought to you by Bud Light (actually, I'm drinking port and watching football, - how wrong is that?) - Sunday it was ocho-cinco, tonight it seems that Bryant Gumble's parents must be Kermit and Miss Piggy. Listen and look and tell me it's not true.

WerenCole
12-08-2006, 07:23 AM
You mean you actually have the NFL network?

(Thats been a big joke on the sports radio circuit. . . but then again people who listen to a lot of radio usually can't afford cable)

Perks
12-08-2006, 07:24 AM
Yeah, it comes with Direct TV.

WerenCole
12-08-2006, 09:22 PM
What is this Direct TV you speak of?

Perks
12-08-2006, 10:29 PM
Hunks of metal with bristling protuberances floating so high that it is always night there. And through voodoo, secret incantations and the key from a canned ham, these stellar urchins reflect programs into my house.

Or maybe it's Directly into my brain and I'm actually hugging myself in a buckled jacket in a cushy room and making it all up. I could have sworn I saw the Steelers trounce the Browns last night...

aka eraser
12-08-2006, 10:31 PM
She means "satellite" Weren.

C.bronco
12-08-2006, 10:37 PM
:Trophy: 72 days until the Daytona 500. I don't want to wait that long!!!!

WerenCole
12-11-2006, 10:32 PM
She means "satellite" Weren.

I think you people have officially done lost your marbles.

Perks. . . would you like to barrow my tinfoil cap?

WerenCole
12-14-2006, 08:23 AM
Dice-K flying back to Boston. In less than 24 hours we, the Boston Red Sox, will have a Japanese National Treasure under contract for the next six years.

Hurray for Baseball!

Drink Red Stripe!

a tree of night
12-14-2006, 09:41 PM
$103.7 million. Is it finally time for RSN to stop crying poor?

Jongfan
12-14-2006, 09:56 PM
And it shall be renamed Yenway Park..
Due to all the supposed marketing of memorabilia that should fly off the shelves.

I am still trying to figure out why Kapler is retiring at the ripe old age of 31. The man worked his ass off to come back from a career ending injury.

Still baffled by the Gonzales thing. Sure Lugo brings speed and base stealing capabilities.. but come on..

Lastly, if the rumors of Youk are true.. I may just scout another team to love.

a tree of night
12-14-2006, 10:01 PM
I almost missed this, but my favorite boxer of the past twenty or so years was inducted into the HoF last week. Ricardo Lopez, the best pound-for-pound fighter since Robinson by my reckoning, was the third champion to retire undefeated (though he probably got a generous ND vs Alvarez at Plaza del Toros). He unified the strawweight belts and also held the IBF Light Flyweight belt. The details of his career were largely relegated to a footnote in mainstream articles about the (deserving) inductions of Roberto Duran and Pernell Whitaker. Lower weight classes get no respect.

a tree of night
12-14-2006, 10:07 PM
I am still trying to figure out why Kapler is retiring at the ripe old age of 31. The man worked his ass off to come back from a career ending injury.

Ever time I hear his full name, the "Welcome Back, Kotter" theme runs through my head.

Jongfan
12-14-2006, 10:15 PM
Yes we had a team of characters..

Gabe Kapler, Mike Meyers.. of course each time Mike took the mound the theme from Friday the 13th was played.

WerenCole
12-15-2006, 03:03 AM
Lastly, if the rumors of Youk are true.. I may just scout another team to love.

If I not heard of them they are they just that, unsubstantiated rumors. I have heard nothing about Youk, either in trade deals or morale issues or anything. Enlighten me? Or do I have to go find the culprits myself and bring them to justice, yet again?

Yenway? Why not. The fact of the matter is that Barry Zito is going to get a 5-6 year deal worth more than $100 million and during that time it will be highly likely that Dice-K is going to have better stats.

We may have paid $51.1 million to Seibu, but the contract that Dice-K (or the D-Mat Train) got is not unreasonable. 6 years at $52 million with escalators to $60. . . that is going to look like the deal of the century sooner than later. With all the money being tossed around in professional sports, especially in baseball right now, I do not see this particular expenditure by the Red Sox to be out of the ordinary. You pay for things like this. . . what else are the John Henry going to do, buy out the Celtics? No, he is going to invest in the Sox if for the only reason to make sure that in the Sox lore he is not seen as the man who would not do what it takes to win. He has some of the smartest baseball men in the business, let them do the work and give them the money they need to get it done, reasonably.

$103 million (total) is not unreasonable. $55 million to Gil Meche, is.

WerenCole
12-15-2006, 03:06 AM

Gabe Kapler, Mike Meyers.. of course each time Mike took the mound the theme from Friday the 13th was played.

Gabe will never be the same player, he is respected by the organization for the way he played the game and conducted his business. It was one of two choices. . . become third rate outfielder that would never see playing time or use his unique drive, spiritualism and knowledge as a minor league manager. In the long run Kapler will benefit the Sox more by instilling drive, dedication and loyalty to Sox draft picks (for he will be one of the first to get a crack at them) and be a mentor and leader to young men trying to reach their dreams.

Haggis
12-15-2006, 08:56 AM

Y'all dumping all your old former Detroit Tigers players?

WerenCole
12-16-2006, 12:16 AM
Didn't Detroit dump them first? Aren't we better off now?

Jongfan
12-16-2006, 12:31 AM
[quote=WerenCole]If I not heard of them they are they just that, unsubstantiated rumors. I have heard nothing about Youk, either in trade deals or morale issues or anything. Enlighten me? Or do I have to go find the culprits myself and bring them to justice, yet again?

Yenway? Why not. The fact of the matter is that Barry Zito is going to get a 5-6 year deal worth more than $100 million and during that time it will be highly likely that Dice-K is going to have better stats.

We may have paid $51.1 million to Seibu, but the contract that Dice-K (or the D-Mat Train) got is not unreasonable. 6 years at $52 million with escalators to $60. . . that is going to look like the deal of the century sooner than later. With all the money being tossed around in professional sports, especially in baseball right now, I do not see this particular expenditure by the Red Sox to be out of the ordinary. You pay for things like this. . . what else are the John Henry going to do, buy out the Celtics? No, he is going to invest in the Sox if for the only reason to make sure that in the Sox lore he is not seen as the man who would not do what it takes to win. He has some of the smartest baseball men in the business, let them do the work and give them the money they need to get it done, reasonably.

$103 million (total) is not unreasonable. $55 million to Gil Meche, is.

As I said ,the Youlk talk, it was a rumor being tossed around. Of course it follows the 4 year Manny rumor that runs around each year.

I don't have a problem with the money being spent on contracts, when the transaction makes sense.

We are paying Lugo a tremendous amount of money for a 6 year deal. I like Lugo, I think he is a good ball player. Is he a better shortstop than Gonzales? No. Like the previous year with Renteria, we had 2 great shorts and let them go.

I am disappointed with the aquisitions this year. I believed in the Farm system and it was proving to be a great asset.

I am sure the Dice man will deliver some memorable pitches. I just wonder "what if" Bronson Arroyo , Manny Delcarmen, Jonathan Papelbon.

But hey..I am just a die hard, dedicated, frustrated fan.
I was one of the only ones that did not give up when we were 3 games down going into game 4 against the evil empire. I set up my usual shrine and watched with a wave of nausea. I truly believe the game is not over until the last pitch crosses the plate.

WerenCole
12-20-2006, 11:52 PM
I am sure the Dice man will deliver some memorable pitches. I just wonder "what if" Bronson Arroyo , Manny Delcarmen, Jonathan Papelbon.

What do you mean "what if?" Bronson, despite his good start to the season last year, did not finish with spectacular stats. Delcarmen and Pap's are still with the team ready to prove that they are the hot shots we have been waiting for. In the long run it may be better for us to have Wily Mo Pena as opposed to an erratic arm like Arroyo anyway.

The deals make sense. . . A-Gon was a stop-gap. . . though he did hit surprisingly well. Lugo is the bat we need at the top of the order, speed, power etc. The drop off in fielding (though Lugo is still a good fielder, decent. . . I bet he makes less than the 31 errors that Edgar made while in Boston) is balanced by his other attributes.

The Drew deal, though may have been a bit high in money, fits with this years free agent class and he is an upgrade over Trot (whom I love dearly, it was just time to go) and a good # 5 hitter. His own health questions are a bit disturbing but we do have depth in the outfield with Mily-Mo plus the kids on the farm who might be major league ready when the first round of injuries hit in mid-may.

There is little to be disappointed about in this offseason. A lot of baseball insiders are thinking that, on paper, the Sox have the most talented team in baseball. I am not going to jump up that far yet, but there is reason to be optimistic.

"In Theo We Trust. . ." that is my motto and I'm sticking to it.

Jongfan
12-21-2006, 12:46 AM
What do you mean "what if?" Bronson,

IMHO Bronson would have done well here. He wanted to stay, he offered to settle for less. We of course will never know how he would have faired had he remained in the American League.

Delcarmen and Pap's
I was just pointing out that we have fresh young blood to work with. Delcarmen is a local kid who grew up dreaming of playing at Fenway.

Wily Mo Pena :an erratic : That is an understatement. He had much trouble catching the ball and his bat left me unimpressed. Sure when he did connect with the ball his power was mighty.

The deals make sense. . . A-Gon was a stop-gap. . . though he did hit surprisingly well. : an important role as I see it. If the ball is stopped before going up the middle.. runs are taken away from the batter.

Lugo is the bat we need at the top of the order : What was wrong with Youlk at the top of the order. I seem to recall he came through quite nicely and he has proven his ability at being a utility player.

The Drew deal, though may have been a bit high in money, fits with this years free agent class and he is an upgrade over Trot : I agree on one point here Trot though a beloved of the fans is to fragile a player to remain. However, all we did was swap one injury prone player for another. A lateral move.

There is little to be disappointed about in this offseason. A lot of baseball insiders are thinking that, on paper, the Sox have the most talented team in baseball. I am not going to jump up that far yet, but there is reason to be optimistic.

"In Theo We Trust. . ." that is my motto and I'm sticking to it.
I have always been a believer in Theo. I was pissed when the differences between him and the owners caused him to leave. I also see many changes and power shifts taking place which I do not agree with.
I will be attending the Hot Stove /Cool Music benefit in January. Hopefully I will have the opportunity to have a heart to heart with Theo... Peter Gammons can write the article and all will be well with the baseball Gods...

C.bronco
01-15-2007, 12:02 AM
Public Service Announcement:

34 Days until the Daytona 500

:flag:

Soccer Mom
01-16-2007, 12:25 AM
Make that 33! I am soooooo ready!

C.bronco
02-01-2007, 11:21 PM
:e2stooges Sixteen Days 23 Hourse 38 minutes 'til the green flag! I'm nearly giddy!

Chumplet
02-02-2007, 01:29 AM
I'll take a Formula One street race over a boring oval track any day. *runs to hide*

Hey, the Raptors hit .500!
The Leafs... well, never mind.

C.bronco
02-05-2007, 09:41 PM
That's what my Dad says. Oh well.
Thirteen Days One Hour and Nineteen Minutes! Woo Hoo!
:hooray: :partyguy:
:banana: :Cake: :Clap: :e2woo:

WerenCole
02-06-2007, 09:38 AM
Sorry. . . can't say I like NASCAR. . . or the Indy Colts.

Baseball: Pitchers and catchers on Feb 16. . .

WerenCole
02-09-2007, 07:24 AM
Baseball Fans: Check out my new favorite site (after AW of course)

Baseballprospectus.com

Sabermetricians unite! Ummm, well, at least get along with every one else.:D

Silver King
02-09-2007, 07:39 AM
What? Nothing about hockey?

We need to start referring to this thread as Melt Down...

Keep your eyes on the Lightening. :tongue

Soccer Mom
02-09-2007, 07:58 AM
Yay! They drew for the starting order of the Bud Shootout! NASCAR is underway! Wahooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Jongfan
02-09-2007, 08:01 AM
Sorry. . . can't say I like NASCAR. . . or the Indy Colts.

Baseball: Pitchers and catchers on Feb 16. . .

There has been talk that John Henry may sponsor NASCAR..

C.bronco
02-15-2007, 11:26 PM
:TheWave: Tony Stewart wins the Bud Shootout :).
Boogity boogity boogity boys, let's go racing!!!!!!
DW will be announcing, I can't wait! The first Busch race is Saturday at 12:00EST, Nextel Race on Sunday at 2:00.

WerenCole
02-16-2007, 12:31 AM
Well look at that. This thread has been primarily Red Sox and NASCAR and what just happened? Fenway Sports Group, who is part of the company that own the Red Sox has just bought half of Roush Racing. I think they are going to call it Roush Fenway Racing or something.

Now I actually have a reason to root for Carl Edwards. . . before I just liked it because he did backflips when he won.

aka eraser
02-16-2007, 07:23 PM
I don't follow NASCAR but I skim the occasional story in the sports pages.

Whaddup with all this cheating? And for you afficionados, does it change your opinion at all about the sport?

C.bronco
02-20-2007, 05:52 PM
Change my opinion... nah. That's just racin' boys. An inch too low, a little jet fuel in the intake: minor infractions.

Kevin! Kevin! Kevin!
:Trophy: :Trophy:

WerenCole
02-23-2007, 12:06 AM
Let them cheat, I don't care a rat. . . it is just a car.

Ummm, who won that race? What was it again? Something 500. . . well, if I say 500 that just about sums up most of the races, huh? Oh well, Manny by March 1.

Soccer Mom
02-27-2007, 01:37 AM
The only ones that bother me are the biggies. The fuel thing? That bugs me. A little hollowed out bolt or layed back spoiler? That's not cheating. That's racing.

But Mikey's thing bothered me.

a tree of night
02-28-2007, 01:26 AM
Please delete if this is the wrong place to recruit. I'm getting desperate.

My usual fantasy baseball league had a bunch of dropouts this year. The remaining folks are looking to start up a new league, but we're quite a few teams short of what we'd like (8-12). If we can get enough teams, it'll be :

either Yahoo or Fox free roto league
live (online) draft, mixed league
somewhere between 5x5 and 7x7 scoring, tbd
likely a keeper league, if there's enough interest

It's a competitive, but friendly league. Newbies welcome - we can explain the details as needed (it's not as complex as it might sound).

PM or e-mail me if interested.

Chumplet
02-28-2007, 02:42 AM
I like it when the cars flip on their roofs. Or is it rooves?

Hockey trade deadline comin'. Then... the playoffs! Yippee!

Yeah, I know... spring training yadda yadda...

Silver King
02-28-2007, 03:18 AM
Hockey trade deadline comin'. Then... the playoffs! Yippee!
Yes! And like I said upthread, keep your eye on those Lightening.

Strange how the Stanley Cup hasn't made it to northern climes in a few years.:D

aka eraser
02-28-2007, 05:16 AM
This could be the year though SK.

It won't be my beloved Habs but it might be a Canadian team (Calgary or Ottawa) or mebbe Buffalo or Detroit. Some surprising deals today with Ryan Smyth's trade to the Islanders a real jaw-dropper.

I'm still having fun following my (1st place!) Raptors and am pumped about the Jays' chances this year. Ah, Spring...gotta love it. :)

WerenCole
03-06-2007, 10:56 PM
VCU

Go Rams!

C.bronco
03-14-2007, 10:29 PM
Nice job for Hendricks in Las Vegas: Jimmie, Jeff, two thumbs up (Yay Soccermom!). Junior's last pitstop was a heartbreaker.
Hot-lanta is this weekend, and my friends are going (without me). My husband and I get to stay home and put up sheet-rock.
:cry:

C.bronco
03-19-2007, 05:22 PM
Jimmie Johnson takes another one (but Tony was oh, so close there for a minute on the last lap). Now I need to check the points standings. I hope this helped Jr. a bit.
Oh Bristol, oh Martinsville! Let's get some top 5 finishes for my boys!

aka eraser
04-08-2007, 10:12 PM
a Jays game, final round of the Masters, Islanders/New Jersey game to decide the final playoff spot in the NHL East followed by a Raptors/Bulls game.

Don't stand too close to my tv, you'll get a burn.

Silver King
04-08-2007, 10:57 PM
Don't stand too close to my tv, you'll get a burn.
The Habs making the playoffs would've added more sizzle to the burn. I was damned sorry to see them miss by just this much...

Chumplet
04-08-2007, 11:10 PM
The Leaf-Habs game was a helluva game to watch.

I'm watching the Islander/Jersey game to see if the Leafs make it. Even if they do, I don't have much hope for the Leafs, because meeting Buffalo in the first round is not a good sign... And yes, Ryan Smyth has been a great addition to the Islanders. Uh, go Devils?

Poor Habs. I like both teams. Born in Montreal, growing up near Toronto.

Silver King
04-08-2007, 11:17 PM
Uh, go Devils?
Until the playoffs start next week. Then it's, "Go Lightening!" ;)

Chumplet
04-10-2007, 02:02 AM
Damn! Both my teams are out! And I hate the Senators.

Soccer Mom
04-16-2007, 11:41 PM
Jimmie Johnson takes another one (but Tony was oh, so close there for a minute on the last lap). Now I need to check the points standings. I hope this helped Jr. a bit.
Oh Bristol, oh Martinsville! Let's get some top 5 finishes for my boys!

Well, Jeff B. got one for you yesterday. I almost felt sorry for Harvick. There was nothing he could do. His car was a piece of ill-handling crap.

My weekend at TMS: Friday: freezing rain, hail and tornados. :(
Saturday: good race, more horrible weather. Brrrrr.
Sunday: great race and gorgeous weather, but I'm
sunburned to a crisp.

I had a great time and thought of you, CB. Oh, and outlined several scenes in my WIP during the hail storm and read several chapters while grilling brats during thre gorgeous weather on Sunday. It doesn't get any better than that!

aka eraser
04-17-2007, 07:19 PM
Hockey and baseball and hoops - oh my!

I'm really glad to be a 4-sport fan (watch golf occasionally - oh, and curling - guess that's 5 - Olympics don't count because everybody watches them, right?) elsewise I'd need a backup remote, not just backup batteries.

SK, your Lightning looked good last night. I hope they win. Lamorello (sp?) sacking his coach with a week to go in the season was as egotistical a move as I've ever seen. I want that guy to LOSE!

Silver King
04-18-2007, 01:15 AM
SK, your Lightning looked good last night. I hope they win. Lamorello (sp?) sacking his coach with a week to go in the season was as egotistical a move as I've ever seen. I want that guy to LOSE!
You missed an i before the e in Lamoriello, but hey, I added an extra e in Lightning upthread. (I did it again just now but fixed it.)

In light of the Devils coming into the playoffs as the number two seed, I can't understand the firing either. Maybe he was itching to coach again. He's a strange bird, and if his team gets beaten (which I'm dearly hoping), he'll look like a fool.

I'm not surprised to find some of my friends from the far north getting behind Tampa Bay, at least for now. There are enough great Canadian players on that team to sway some support toward the south. I doubt if many would want to see a Southeast Division team win the Cup again, but I wouldn't mind. ;)

Silver King
04-23-2007, 04:00 AM
The Lightning are done for. The Devils won the series in six and advance.

To their credit, during most of the games, Tampa outplayed New Jersey in nearly all aspects of hockey except goal tending and scoring.

That's not much consolation, but it's something...

aka eraser
04-23-2007, 05:43 AM
Even when Brodeur is a little off his game, like he was in a couple of games that series, he's still one of the greatest goalies to ever lace on pads. The great ones find ways to win. Most of the Lightning guys are young. If they can keep the core together, they'll be making playoff noise for a few years.

ETA a "u" to Broder. :)

aka eraser
04-24-2007, 03:57 AM
Is there a better bet for a couple of hours of excitement than a Game 7 in any of baseball, basketball and hockey?

No, there isn't.

(Like another answer was possible!)

Tonight is Game 7 in the Vancouver/Dallas series. I don't have a real emotional investment in either team; though as a red-blooded toque-wearer I'd prefer Vancouver to win. But Dallas' comeback from a 3-1 deficit has been inspiring. Should be a dandy tonight.

aka eraser
04-24-2007, 08:40 PM
I was right. A terrific game. Every shift shone with skill and ferocity.

Congrats to the Canucks. And there should be no shame in Dallas.

C.bronco
04-24-2007, 08:45 PM
Well, Jeff B. got one for you yesterday. I almost felt sorry for Harvick. There was nothing he could do. His car was a piece of ill-handling crap.

My weekend at TMS: Friday: freezing rain, hail and tornados. :(
Saturday: good race, more horrible weather. Brrrrr.
Sunday: great race and gorgeous weather, but I'm
sunburned to a crisp.

I had a great time and thought of you, CB. Oh, and outlined several scenes in my WIP during the hail storm and read several chapters while grilling brats during thre gorgeous weather on Sunday. It doesn't get any better than that!
Glad you had fun! Now my son wants a purple Jeff Burton car... he's saving up for one!

WerenCole
04-24-2007, 10:56 PM
Tell me Frank, do the Raptors have a chance or will they succumb to the "just happy to be there" syndrome?

The Blue Jays are the only team in MLB that are currently pissing me the hell off, by the way.

Jongfan
04-24-2007, 11:05 PM
The Jay's may be pissing you off right now, but, you have to be pleased with the Sox. All in all, it was a great weekend as usual when the Yanks come to town. The atmosphere is "playoff" and the energy is insane. You really wouldn't know it's only April.

I pegged Beckett as the pitcher to watch this year and he is not disappointing me yet.

aka eraser
04-25-2007, 12:26 AM
The Raptors are very young and they dearly miss the experience of Garbajosa. Although an NBA rookie, he's 28, a great defender and a veteran of tough international play. But they're a very gifted young bunch and they've bought into Coach (of the year!) Mitchell's share-the-ball philosophy. If they can shake the deer-in-the-headlights feeling of actually being in the playoffs and just play the way they have most of the season, they can make this a long, interesting series.

The Jays desperately needed that win last night and watch out - because Doc Halladay would love to make it 2 straight. ;)

They need to stay within 5-6 games of the Sox and Yanks until they get Ryan, Johnson and Glaus back. THEN this season will get fun.

aka eraser
04-25-2007, 05:51 PM
Where ARE you Bo-sox fans?

Come-out, come-out wherever you are!!!

Great night for Toronto fans last night. The Raptors scrambled their way to a crucial win and the Jays laid a whuppin' on the Sox. Nice to see their bats, especially Wells' and Thomas' in the middle of the order, start making some noise.

On the minus side, their #1 catcher is gone for a couple of weeks. I sure hope they're getting their seasons' worth of injuries over in April.

Tonight, the Yankees. Let's hope they stay in their coma for a couple more days.

Jongfan
04-25-2007, 07:18 PM
I am one Bo-Sox fan that is not surprised by our two losses to Toronto. I think both Wells and Thomas are tremendous ballplayers and their bats will not be denied. The fact that as of right now, the Sox are in first and the Yanks are in last place, makes for an interesting season of baseball.

I'm keeping my eye on the Marlins, they seem to have put together a nice team for themselves and it will be interesting to see where they finish..

WerenCole
04-25-2007, 11:42 PM
Frank, I will reiterate my statement and leave it at that (because I am mad): The Jays are the only team in basebal that are pissing me off right now. Alot. Really.

Today is usually my first trip to Baltimore of the season (always hit the first Sox v. O's game in Baltimore) but it is a bad week for that. Anyway, I am receiving an award tonight an must attend the ceremony jigger thing. Oh well. I wanted to play poker.

C.bronco
06-04-2007, 06:47 PM
Rain Delays bad. Rain Postponement worse.
Man! The Nextel race was rescheduled for noon today, which means I won't get to see it. I have to tell you though, it's still raining here in NJ, and I just saw the hourly forecast for Pocono: rain until noon, thundershowers afterward.
Will they race at Dover? And the dirt track race on Wednesday is on pay per view, which means that I won't be able to see that either.
Poo!

C.bronco
06-18-2007, 07:14 PM
Wow!
1. Michael Waltrip gets a top 10 finish in his Toyota, after not even qualifying for the last several races.
2. Good for Carl. He needed to do a flip and was overdue.
3. Soccer Mom = Psychic Mom: Junior signs with Hendricks, gets a 5th place finish at Michigan. Now, where's Kyle going?
This is some season!

Soccer Mom
06-21-2007, 01:11 AM
Wow!
1. Michael Waltrip gets a top 10 finish in his Toyota, after not even qualifying for the last several races.
2. Good for Carl. He needed to do a flip and was overdue.
3. Soccer Mom = Psychic Mom: Junior signs with Hendricks, gets a 5th place finish at Michigan. Now, where's Kyle going?
This is some season!

I just had a feeling. My prediction: Kyle will be in a Toyota next year.

TrainofThought
06-21-2007, 05:24 AM
I’m very sad that my boys are doing bad. I dunno :Shrug:how they can go from World Series champions two years ago to boot camp. I need PODS. :cry:

And for the record, I just found this forum. I thought it was only for sports writers. Then again, I am writing about sports, bad sports, but sports nonetheless.

C.bronco
06-27-2007, 06:56 PM
Juan Pablo Montoya gets his first win! Not on the oval as he had hoped, but good for him. Nice interview before the race, which took forever to start (hour and a half countdown to green). Kevin should have gunned it, he would have had enough fuel.

Soccer Mom
07-05-2007, 04:43 PM
Jeff had me hoping on Sunday. So close. Ah, well. Still in the the lead.

But it's DAYTONA this week! Whoot!

aka eraser
07-05-2007, 09:52 PM
But it's DAYTONA this week! Whoot!

That's one of those car races where if you turn right you can get into a bit of trouble, isn't it?

;)

aka eraser
07-29-2007, 08:34 PM
Okay, so circle racing fans don't have a sense of humour...or maybe they've heard that one a time or twelve.

These are the dog days of sport for me. My baseball team (the Jays) aren't contending. Canadian football is just underway and it's too early to get excited about it. Basketball and hockey are waaaaaaay down the road and I'm not into racing because its fans have NO SENSE OF HUMOUR!

MidnightMuse
07-31-2007, 06:42 PM
Hey, your Jays sent my Mariners packing just last week - are they out of the running entirely?

If the M's can win the next two against the A's, they'll be a mere 1 game back in the AL West :D

WerenCole
07-31-2007, 09:26 PM
Both your teams are buggered. Check the thread below for the real deal.

I did mention that I like peanuts. . . .and cracker jacks, right?

MidnightMuse
07-31-2007, 10:55 PM
Buggered? How's about we revist this threat August 6th? Right after the Mariners sweep the Red Sox?

Soccer Mom
08-02-2007, 05:33 AM
Okay, so circle racing fans don't have a sense of humour...or maybe they've heard that one a time or twelve.

These are the dog days of sport for me. My baseball team (the Jays) aren't contending. Canadian football is just underway and it's too early to get excited about it. Basketball and hockey are waaaaaaay down the road and I'm not into racing because its fans have NO SENSE OF HUMOUR!

But...but...I have to have racing. I'm a Texas Ranger fan. :(

But on the bright side.....Football Training Camp! Whoop!

aka eraser
08-02-2007, 06:32 PM
I might check out more American football this year. Usually, I don't watch any games 'til there's only four teams left. I prefer the Canadian game. It's faster, the field is bigger, there's lots of pre-snap motion and NO such thing as fair catches.

MidnightMuse
08-02-2007, 08:24 PM
There's always Curling :D

Soccer Mom
08-02-2007, 09:27 PM
There's always Curling :D

Yeah, so says the woman whose team like to grease up balls before handing them over. Are you ready for some football, Muse? Do the Seahawks have enough vaseline to win this year?

MidnightMuse
08-03-2007, 07:47 PM
From the woman whose team can't HOLD a ball when it's hiked to them !

Yes, I'm ready for some football. And I've bought stock in KY-lotion :D

Soccer Mom
08-04-2007, 07:38 AM
You're a bad little squirrel.

Perks
08-21-2007, 06:34 AM
I can't believe I have to listen to Tony Kornheiser for another season of Monday Night Football.

This is very disappointing.

Soccer Mom
08-21-2007, 11:32 PM
But at least we're free of Dan Patrick on the car radio! :snoopy:

NiennaC
08-23-2007, 05:07 AM
I'm gonna go off topic here (I mean, off football) and post a baseball thing. I just had to, it's too interesting:
Texas is winning over the baltimore orioles 30 to 3! It's a record breaker - first time a team has scored that high since the 1900s! < at least, that's what the announcer guy said.

EDIT: They won. Texas won 30 to 3, first time a team has scored that high in 110 years.

Soccer Mom
08-24-2007, 03:07 AM
Oh yeah, Nienna and it was sweet too! It didn't make up for a season of suckage (I'm a long suffering Ranger fan) but for one shining moment---it was sweet.

NiennaC
08-25-2007, 01:21 AM
Oh yeah, Nienna and it was sweet too! It didn't make up for a season of suckage (I'm a long suffering Ranger fan) but for one shining moment---it was sweet.

I wish I had watched it. I was busy watching a different game and they interrupted to tell the Texas score. Sorry to say, since you're a Texas fan, but I couldn't believe it.

Soccer Mom
08-25-2007, 02:26 AM
True story that a guy confessed on local sports talk radio: He was at his son's baseball game, got in the car, heard the score and flipped off the radio in a fit of rage: " Those bleeping Rangers. They gave up 30 runs in a game. That's it. I'm through. I can't stand it anymore. I'm done with them."

He didn't find out until the next day. That's the mindset of true Ranger fans.

NiennaC
08-25-2007, 06:47 AM
True story that a guy confessed on local sports talk radio: He was at his son's baseball game, got in the car, heard the score and flipped off the radio in a fit of rage: " Those bleeping Rangers. They gave up 30 runs in a game. That's it. I'm through. I can't stand it anymore. I'm done with them."

He didn't find out until the next day. That's the mindset of true Ranger fans.

Haha. Oh, I feel bad for the poor guy. At least now he (and other ranger fans) have something to be happy about. The rangers just made history.

MidnightMuse
08-27-2007, 10:12 PM
Showdown in the AL West starts tonight :D

Yanno, if'in anyone's innerested. I'm hoping for a Mariner sweep of the A's (but I'm not holding my breath)

Soccer Mom
08-27-2007, 11:16 PM
Just do enough to keep the bleeping Yankees out of the playoffs, Muse and all will be forgiven for "Greased Pigskin-gate". :D

MidnightMuse
08-28-2007, 12:11 AM
Ha-ha! Greased Pigskin-gate, indeed.

But I shall make it my personal goal to make sure the Yankees go straight home after the regular season :D

WerenCole
08-28-2007, 02:47 AM
But at least we're free of Dan Patrick on the car radio! :snoopy:

Nooooooooooooooooooooo! I am actually upset by this, really.

Soccer Mom
08-30-2007, 08:33 PM
Ugh. Dan Patrick was a sanctimonius pig. I'm much happier without him on my radio.

WerenCole
08-31-2007, 08:20 PM
Do you ever really listen to sports talk radio? They are all like that, more or less. DP was one of the better ones.

Soccer Mom
09-05-2007, 11:38 PM
I live in my car. I enjoy Mike&Mike in the morning. I've enjoyed listening to Eric Kasilias (sp?) instead. Yes, I listen to sports talk radio. DP annoyed the snot out of me.

NiennaC
09-06-2007, 02:31 AM
I like Mike & The Mad dog, they're really the only two I listen to.

MidnightMuse
09-06-2007, 07:35 PM
Does Football start this weekend ? 'Cause I've HAD IT WITH THE MARINERS!!!

For crap's sake - every year they do this. I'm starting to believe they all have personal plans in October and don't want to work. Maybe they'd rather watch Football.

NiennaC
09-06-2007, 09:05 PM
Does Football start this weekend ? 'Cause I've HAD IT WITH THE MARINERS!!!

For crap's sake - every year they do this. I'm starting to believe they all have personal plans in October and don't want to work. Maybe they'd rather watch Football.

I'm a Yankee fan, so I'm thrilled with the Mariners right now. :)

MidnightMuse
09-06-2007, 09:14 PM
:e2moon:

NiennaC
09-07-2007, 01:32 AM
Hmmm...not sure how to respond to that.

MidnightMuse
09-07-2007, 01:51 AM
:D Well at this point in the "game" I think it's safe to say the Yankess are taking the Wild card. The Mariners will be knitting.

Or maybe taking piano lessons.

NiennaC
09-07-2007, 02:07 AM
:D Well at this point in the "game" I think it's safe to say the Yankess are taking the Wild card. The Mariners will be knitting.

Or maybe taking piano lessons.

Well, I can only hope. But the Yankees have a nasty habit of doing real well, then bombing and blowing their chances at anything. Which I'm worried might happen...oh no! :D

MidnightMuse
09-07-2007, 02:18 AM
I think I'll start pinning my hopes on Football.

SoccerMom loves my Seattle Seahawks!:ROFL:

Soccer Mom
09-08-2007, 12:43 AM
Go Seahags! Not!

Cowboys rule!!!

TrainofThought
09-11-2007, 06:55 AM
Cowboys rule!!!*clears throat* What do you call a drug ring in Dallas?
A Huddle

MidnightMuse
09-11-2007, 07:47 PM
Oooh, do tell :D

Btw - friggin' Mariners have rolled over, but the Seahawks won their opener!!:snoopy:

Soccer Mom
09-12-2007, 06:55 AM
*clears throat* What do you call a drug ring in Dallas?
A Huddle

Ahem: When the Bears scrimmage, they don't play the shirts against the skins anymore. They just play the felons against the misdemeanors.

:D Someone just has Romo envy!

Tell you what? I'll just trade Romo from Grossman and....oh wait...no, I won't. :D

:scampers away:

TrainofThought
09-12-2007, 06:31 PM
:D Someone just has Romo envy!

Tell you what? I'll just trade Romo from Grossman and....oh wait...no, I won't. :D

:scampers away:Them fightin' words :e2fight:

I'll trade Grossman for any other quarterback. Is Michael Vick available? :D

Soccer Mom
09-13-2007, 10:53 PM
I'll trade a back up semi-pro player from the bush league for Grossman.

poetinahat
09-14-2007, 03:26 AM
http://www.sportsline.com/nhl/story/10349786

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- Get ready for an NHL big chill on New Year's Day: Penguins at Sabres in an outdoor game at Ralph Wilson Stadium.

The league is set to announce next week that the Buffalo Sabres (http://www.sportsline.com/nhl/teams/page/BUF) will host the Pittsburgh Penguins (http://www.sportsline.com/nhl/teams/page/PIT), a person familiar with the event told the Associated Press, in what would be the NHL's second outdoor game.

Now THAT is old school. I wish I could be there. Buffalo, January 1, outdoor hockey. Rug up and turn up.

Chumplet
09-14-2007, 04:05 AM
I think I just might go to that game! I wonder if my brother can score some tickets. He lives in Buffalo and it's only three hours away. Hmmmmmmm. I must speak to the chauffeur.

On that note: HOCKEY HOCKEY HOCKEY HOCKEY HOCKEY HOCKEY HOCKEY HOCKEY HOCKEY HOCKEY HOCKEY HOCKEY HOCKEY HOCKEY HOCKEY HOCKEY HOCKEY HOCKEY HOCKEY HOCKEY HOCKEY HOCKEY!!!!!

kristie911
09-23-2007, 11:10 PM
I'm not ready for hockey yet! I'm still watching baseball.

Usually it's not an issue because the Cubs are usually out of it early. But not this year!

GO CUBS!

Hockey's just going to have to wait. Are the Red Wings going to be any good this year? I haven't even paid attention.

~Kristie, a one-sport-at-a-time woman

C.bronco
10-01-2007, 05:49 PM
9/30/07, What a marathon in Kansas! Sheesh, two rain delays, eleven cautions, and THEN instead of going to a green white flag, they called the race with one lap to go because it was getting too dark. Biffle takes the win.
How disappointing is it to watch a race from 2:00 to 8:30, stick it out through all of that, and then not even get to see the guys race to the checkered? I'll tell ya: it stinks! And I promised my boy he could stay up to watch the finish. He would have appreciated the anti-climactic event more, but he was yawning. Well, at least both of our racers finished in the top ten.
Sigh.
But hey!
Next Week Is TALLADEGA!!!

P.S. Some battery said something about Eagles and New Jersey, but I saw no eagles at the speedway. Martin Truex Jr. is, by the way, from NJ, and he had a bad wreck yesterday. Feel better Martin!

WerenCole
10-05-2007, 08:08 PM
NASCAR is still going on? Who would've thunk it?

Bye Bye Yankee Blue, see the pinstripes drown. How I will remember thee. . . as another team to not take the crown.

Go Sox!

III
10-19-2007, 01:08 AM
NFL in full swing
NBA preseason starting up
UFC 77 this Saturday

My sports endorphins are happy.

aka eraser
12-12-2007, 10:08 PM
Just puttering around, wiping the dust from a few glasses. Don't mind me.

Go Raps!

WerenCole
12-30-2007, 12:36 AM
Bye Bye Yankee Blue, see the pinstripes drown. How I will remember thee. . . as another team to not take the crown.

Go Sox!

Wow, I forgot I wrote that.

Now, THAT is good poetry. (The baseball, not the actual lines I wrote.)

Heya Frank, how do you like me now?

Ricciardi is having a tough go of it, yes? The only thing I can say (after the Jays did little of consequence this offseason) is that if your starting pitching can stay healthy (meaning that you preseason top five rotation can muster together around 125-135 starts) then you MIGHT have a chance at second place.

If we land Santana? Look out buddy. . . as we like to say in New England. . . It's Ovah!

I am about to start my fourth year of the "State of the Red Sox Nation: Spring Training Report" and this year will be better than ever. I promise. I am applying for journalism jobs and graduate schools to fulfill this purpose as well, but as of now I still lay in the realm of amateur baseball geek status.

Does anyone have Bill Simmons home phone number?

III
02-14-2008, 08:27 PM
Shaq will finally slow down the Suns. Mavs are trading half the team for Kidd. Tony Parker is getting healthy and Manu Ginobili is on FIRE. Yep, Spurs are looking at a sweet second half of the season.

http://www.bballone.com/manug/background/manuginobili_banner.jpg

C.bronco
03-03-2008, 06:49 PM
Man, what a race!

Thank God everyone walked away from those wrecks. Tony was definitely addled after he hit the wall.
When Jeff spun out, my immediate thoughts were "oh noes!" and condolences for Soccermom. The front end of his green Nicorette 24 was completely gone.

JUNIOR! I wonder what would have happened if we didn't have that last caution on red. Still, Junior came in second, and jumped to 12th in the points standings.

A good finish for Kevin Harvick, Kasey Kahne and Mark Martin.

I nearly whizzed when I saw the new Kasey Kahne Allstate commercial. That was the funniest one I've seen in a while!

Anyhoo, good showing Carl Edwards! That was his second back-flipping win in 2008 for the Sprint series.

Hot-lanta next week. :)

aka eraser
03-03-2008, 08:45 PM
Weren, I'll cede first place to your Sox unless they get smucked with some serious injuries.

But if my Jays stay healthy, they'll take the wild card and apply heat to your team all season. The Jays' pitching staff is better than the Yankees' and with the addition of Rolen (in particular) and Eckstein, their infield defense is much improved.

Gotta love spring training. Everybody's a contender. ;)

Chumplet
03-04-2008, 12:00 AM
Did Jennifer Valentine sing the national anthem at that Blue Jays game?

WerenCole
03-04-2008, 01:14 AM
Weren, I'll cede first place to your Sox unless they get smucked with some serious injuries.

But if my Jays stay healthy, they'll take the wild card and apply heat to your team all season. The Jays' pitching staff is better than the Yankees' and with the addition of Rolen (in particular) and Eckstein, their infield defense is much improved.

Gotta love spring training. Everybody's a contender. ;)

Yeah, Jessie Litsch should be HUGE for you. . . coughcoughhahahacoughcough. . .

Sorry bud, you know how it works in this division.

aka eraser
03-04-2008, 01:24 AM
Gee Weren, are all Sox fans getting to be as obnoxious as Yankee fans?

I used to root for your team as my 2nd choice. May have to re-think that. :)

WerenCole
03-04-2008, 12:21 PM
Go be a Cubs fan, they could use the sympathy.