PDA

View Full Version : My writing goal

IrishScribbler
10-09-2006, 09:07 AM
Hello!

I've been a bit busy and haven't been involved lately, but I'm trying to correct that here, as well as in other areas of my life.

I'm engaged, and my fiance is finishing his senior year in college as a business major. I'm currently working as an admissions counselor at my alma mater, and my fiance and I have talked at length about what we're going to do when we get married. I love my job, but this area doesn't offer him much in the way of business-related jobs, so we'll most likely have to move. With that move, he'll most likely get a job that pays well enough for me to stay home and write full time.

This will certainly be a blessing to me, and my writing! Since I started this job, my writing has really suffered, and I hate it! So after next June, I hope to be able to say that I am a full time writer!

In this goal, I have a question for any of you who are currently full time writers. How was the transition? Right now, my time to write is precious, so I find it's more productive. However, I fear that when I'm able to write full time, I'll tell myself "I have time...I can do such-and-such first." Any tips for staying focused?

Thanks!

AdamH
10-10-2006, 12:21 AM
I'm far from a full-time writer but I've thought about this a lot. I'd need to unplug myself from anything that can distract me (i.e. TV, internet, phone). That would be the first step.

Second step: set up a definite schedule as if I was working a regular job with breaks and what not. Also, give myself a writing goal to attain (like 2500 words before I can have time to myself at the end of the day).

Third step: allow myself sometime every day for following up on stuff that's out there and research.

Last step: take at least one day off during the week to avoid burnout to do whatever else and get your mind off of what you're working on. If you want to use this "day off" to write, that's your choice but it should be a day to unwind.

Like I said, I'm nowhere near this point yet. But, I'd like to be. :)

IrishScribbler
10-10-2006, 12:59 AM
Thanks for the advice, Madd!