Query multiple agents/exclusivity agreement

just_a_girl

Registered
Reaction score
I've queried multiple agents and have submitted partials and the full manuscript to at least 4. I want to keep submitting to anyone who asks for it, regardless of whether they want exclusivity (I'm such a rebel). Does anyone have any real life stories of what can happen if you do this?? What's the likelihood of an agent finding out?? Do they have some sort of message board to confer on?? I think the chances that they'll mention your manuscript to another agent at another agency who happens to be reading your stuff at the same time is pretty slim. but correct me if you think I'm wrong. I need info on this!!! Thanks much. P.S. Have I blackballed or something b/c nobody is replying to my postings.

Last edited:

SMG

Registered
Reaction score
Website
smgswritingbonanzaofdoom.blogspot.com
Yeah this is what I wanted to know to.

I'm almost done my first 5,000 word short story and want to submit it to a bunch of different magazines (mostly the ones that let you submit by email), because I want to sell as soon as I can.

Is that the way to do it, just send your story to a bunch of different places and hope one bites, or are you supposed to wait for a rejection letter before submitting some place else?

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
just_a_girl said:
I want to keep submitting to anyone who asks for it, regardless of whether they want exclusivity (I'm such a rebel).

Very very bad idea. I have no practical experience of what can go wrong. I just believe that dishonecty in this game can and will backfire.

HorrorWriter

It's a new dawn. It's a new day.
Registered
Reaction score
In your closet with the Boogeyman's corpse!
Justagirl,
You can query as many agents as you like, BUT if you agree to an exclusive, stick to it! Because, believe it or not, some agencies share office space, or rent out offices together!They can find out if they are reading the same thing. The publishing world is small. DO NOT agree to an exclusive if you are not going to follow the guidelines therein. Follow Pat's advice on the other thread I saw you on. ;)

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
Lots of people here have been able to avoid the exclusivity trap simply by telling the agent who asks that the manuscript is already circulating elsewhere. Usually they will come back and say, send it anway.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
popmuze said:
Lots of people here have been able to avoid the exclusivity trap simply by telling the agent who asks that the manuscript is already circulating elsewhere. Usually they will come back and say, send it anway.

Yes, that's what I did. She replied by return of mail saying she was REALLY keen to see it, send it quick, and she'd read it immediately. That's what she did; she read the partial as soon as it arrived and asked for a full. A week later she offered representation.

Last edited:

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
aruna said:
Yes, that's what I did. She replied by return of mail saying she was REALLY keen to see it, send it quick, and she'd read it immediately. Thats; what she did; she read the partial as soon as it arrived and asked for a full. A week later she offered representation.

Good for you aruna! My experience is that it can work both ways, that the agent could be prejudiced against your work because they didn't get the exclusive. In any case, most agents don't require it, and if they say on their webpage that they want one, I slot them for last.

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
I've said this before. If the agent loves your book then there is no way they are going to be prejudiced just because you say no to an exclusive. If you let them know that you will communicate any offers of representation - that is usually enough for them.
I would not dismiss an agent just because a website asks for exclusivity. If they represent your type of book and have done good deals and look like an agency you would like to work with I would send a query. I have never heard of a reputable agent asking for an exclusive for a query. That just doesn't make sense. The twenty pages you send with a query is NOT a partial. It is still a query. It is not requested material. Worry about exclusives when you get asked for a full. Again. I would send the full with a cover letter saying briefly that an exclusive is not possible. No explanation needed. Both aruna and I successfully obtained representation in this manner. I do not think we are unique. I think that is the way it works. Ultimately much will be forgiven if the agent loves your book. And they will only represent you if they DO love it. There is no maybe.

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
I hope you're right, ORION, because I used your advice to tell an agent "no" to an exclusive partial (and the potential full that could follow) today, which I couldn't have offered even if I wanted to.

And...w00t! I got a request for a partial today!

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
Shoot Deadly! That is really unusual but if the query/premise was something she loved I bet you she would have made an exception - If her stable is really full with prolific authors, she may have the freedom to be extremely picky- And you want someone with time for you.
With your requests...obviously your query is working - exclusives are a *****...no question...And deciding what to do is a dilemma.
Ultimately (IMHO) you have to go with the decision to have your work out to as many agents possible giving you a better chance at finding a match...I think you made the right choice. BTW if it is a large agency - look it up on agentquery.com and see if there is another agent there that you might send it to - maybe one who is lower on the totem pole. That is a way of getting in the back door so to speak...They may want to take a look and not care about having an exclusive...
Hope this helps

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
I do believe I made the right decision anyway. I certainly don't like the idea of tying up a partial with an agent. She's the only agent at that agency, so there aren't others to submit to there.

jkorzenko

Registered
Reaction score
From my experience, the agents who ask for an exclusive have been very amenable to work within my timeframe. i.e. they ask for a 90-day exclusive and I countered with a 30-day offering a valid reason for doing. In the scheme of things, 30-days is nothing. ;)

Lance_in_Shanghai

Registered
Reaction score
Every agent/agency has their own reaction to writers who object to exclusivity agreements. Most know the writers hate the idea and that many writers cheat on exc-ity agreements. Most also know that without exc-ity, they will often waste time reading a proposal or m-script while ten other agents are considering it, too. Whenever possible, I suggest sending an unsolicited proposal/query to at least ten agents and wait to see who comes back with an exc-ity agreement. Then you must make a decision: move forward with one agent who asks for exc-ity or move forward with several who don't. That is the really tough decision.

Even though I don't recommend cheating on an exc-ity agreement, I think the chance of getting black-listed as an exc-ity cheat is slim. Do you think agents to whom you have sent materials in different cities or at very different addresses in NYC are actually sharing an office? Maybe they talk about exciting new proposals at happy hour but I think it is a chance in a million they will happen to get together and talk about your material.