mah first rejection!

Status
Not open for further replies.

EggMcGuffin

from my short fiction, "aisha" which you peeps reco'd i send out. anyways it came from a place called lullabyhearse.com and i havent heard from anyone else yet. i remember i said id post the rejections so here it is. :grin

Thanks for your submission. We couldn't place it in the next issue. The writing was very engaging, though the motives behind the suicide and parade shooting could have been clearer. The relationship was fascinating, and though there could have been more dialogue, it's hard for me to think of any dialogue that wouldn't ruin the distancing affect. The shooting reminded me of one of my favorite Bukowski poems, "Down Through the Marching."

Cheers,

Sarah Ruth

:grr

maestrowork

That's a very positive rejection!

p.s. I may move this to the "Rejection" forum, however.

macalicious731

Yes, that's excellent, really! It wasn't even a form letter... you got some specifics that could really help you out for another draft.

Cool! Congratulations! :grin

Greenwolf103

Egg, you got through the first step: Submitting your piece. Believe me, that's more than some writers fearful of rejection will do! Pat yourself on the back for taking the leap and be thankful for the helpful advice this editor gave you! Good luck with your story.

aka eraser

Nice, positive rejection Egg. :)

<eraser is struck, yet again, by what a weird, masochistic life writers lead, celebrating rejection....>

arrowqueen

Ah, but it was a GOOD rejection!

The usual pattern is: form rejection; personalised rejection; acceptance - so you're almost there, Egg.

:clap
aq

maestrowork

AQ, I certainly would hope so. I'm tired of the personal rejections now.

littlecupofjoe

Congrats!

The editor thought your writing was good enough to offer you some positive criticism.

Keep us posted!

Littlecupofjoe:coffee

Yeshanu

:clap

Way to go, Egg. Write something else for her and send it out quick! She likes your writing. If you pay attention to what she said, you've got a good shot at selling the next one.

EggMcGuffin

thx, peeps. here's the second one:

Egg,

Thank you for submitting your work to Bathtub Gin. I wanted to let you know that I filled issues #15 & #16 with work received prior to yours. Feel free to resend when Gin's submission period opens again, which will be June 1, 2005. In the meantime, I invite you to take a look at the Links section of the Gin website for some great magazines/presses currently taking submissions. Thanks again.

Christopher Harter
Bathtub Gin editor
Pathwise Press
PO Box 2392, Bloomington, IN 47402

so theres worse kinds of rejections? :ack

i kinda always jes took a no for a no. oh well. :shrug

(sorry but it took me a while to find this thread, i thought it got deleted cos mebbe it went off into some bad direction while i was gone!)

Lori Basiewicz

Egg, I'm sorry you were rejected, but yes, those are wonderful rejections. The first took the time to offer you some advise and the second actually invited you to resubmit it later if you hadn't placed it yet

Worse rejections come in the guise of form letters, the manuscript just stuffed back in the SASE, or simply no response at all.

You still have a couple of other places where this manuscript is pending, don't you?

MacAl Stone

:jump :jump :snoopy

Egg!!!! I just found this thread :grin

You ROCK! You don't even KNOW how close you are to selling, fella--Way to go!

EggMcGuffin

hey thx, you both. yea lori it's at like 13 other places pendin.

mac you rock, too. you both have been real kind and supportive. :hug

maestrowork

Egg, you haven't seen bad rejection yet (and hopefully you won't -- hopefully the next one is an acceptance! Yay!)

Lori Basiewicz

You don't even KNOW how close you are to selling, fella

Yep. He's so close to getting accepted, I'm wondering how he's going to break the bad news that First Rights are taken to the 2nd and 3rd editors that make an offer. :smack

lastr

Egg! :hail You rock there! I can't tell you how many No notices and form refusals I received before I got my first personalized rejection letter. Enough to paper a bathroom and more in a pile in the corner - that's how many. :rofl

You send a story out and get two personalized letters from editors that thought enough of your story to offer help and ask for more from you. :snoopy

You are so close to selling the first story that I can smell the ink going on that check. Way to go and congratulations.

Carol

EggMcGuffin

that's it! it's all jinxd now! the rest of my rejections are all gonna be like, "thx for submitting your story. sorry we didn't like it. better luck next time."

:rofl

EggMcGuffin

i wuz right!!! i got my first form rejection this weekend from ZZYZYZZYXX or whatever from san francisco. however it was a print submission so mebbe they send out the forms for those. whats funny is he not only rejected me he sent me a subscription form askin if i wanted to get 3 issues for 20 bucks. so not only am i rejected id be out 20 bucks if i took him up on it! :ha

Lori Basiewicz

Egg, have you heard back from any of the other places where you subbed Aisha?

Hapsburg

That is certainly a good rejection from that editor. trust me, I know from experience, that editor is capable of some very stinging rejection letters.

Status
Not open for further replies.