They only rejected paying for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lastr

You all will love this one:

It is with regret that I must turn down your submission of XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX. I would love to have it in XXXXXXXXXX magazine but we are running out of money to pay for submissions. Would you consider donating it to us and we will catch you up on payment after our funding gets better sometime in January? You could send another story and we will pay you for both next year.

Let me know if this is possible.

Sincerely

I have to try that line with my electricity bill. :head They are a non-profit so I will probably give them the one story they want donated but will not count on getting paid come January.

Greenwolf103

I'm all for the volunteer thing. But to any writer in a situation of "we'll pay you later" who doesn't want their story used for free, RUN AWAY. Don't say yes.

I've had that happen. "We'll pay when we have more money." Never happened. Not even after a year.

Live and learn.

Lori Basiewicz

Not only are they trying to get you to donate the first story, they want you to send a second story with the possibility that you will maybe perhaps perchance get paid for it next year, too.

Run away. Not profits usually have plenty of money. Look at what their directors make. Ask that individual to take a cut in pay to finance the cost of paying writers if they are so broke.

It's fine if it is an organization you believe in or belong to and were approached about volunteering your time upfront. But this? Nah. Don't do it.

awatkins

I used to work for a non-profit. We had money in the budget for such things. But go with your heart! Good luck.

lastr

I believe in their cause so will donate that story, but only the one. If they want a second it will be cash on contract *grin*.

macalicious731

lastr, I know you blocked the mag title for a reason, but could you let us all know which one it is? For avoidance, if this is such the case...?

Hapsburg

If you believe in their cause, then totally donate it! You can take a tax write off for the amount you should have been paid!

ritinrider

Better check with your tax person before you do that. :grin I was under the impression you couldn't take a deduction for something that wasn't paid. But I could be totally wrong, :shrug has happened before. A lot.

Nita

Status
Not open for further replies.