Jokes surviving the rewrite process

Status
Not open for further replies.

kuatolives

Gonzo Journalist
Registered
Reaction score
Jokes become less funny each time you hear them, especially after the tenth re-write. Here's my banal 'how do you deal with X' question prevalent on these boards. How many of your jokes survive the rewrite process? How many do you fear you've needlessly cut because you ceased finding them funny? Do you ever get sucked into replacing jokes after the Xth rewrite with new jokes just because they happen to be more fresh (but quite possibly not as good as the original)?

dale

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.daledobson.com
My pieces tend to be short, so your mileage may vary, but for what it's worth...

I try not to replace a joke for the sake of freshness alone - hopefully it made me laugh when I wrote it down. After that, my changes are intended to refine it and make it more specific or more precise or "funnier" after the piece as a whole has taken shape.

I will fix, replace or cut a joke if:

- It no longer fits the style of the piece, or the "voice" or character it's attributed to

- It's "dishonest" - the premise is inaccurate, spelling or grammar is forced, target is undeserving, anachronism sticks out, etc.

- It doesn't still make me chuckle internally to some degree

- It just doesn't work -- it hurts the pacing or is weaker than the rest of the piece; this happens sometimes with "bridge" gags used for structure early on, or early concepts that I thought HAD to be in there but have been overpowered by better stuff

I always try to imagine the reader/editor's reaction to insulate myself from the wear-out factor. Most importantly, I take some time away from it before finalizing - I can see what's funny and what's weighing it down more easily when my eyes are fresh.

Status
Not open for further replies.