One shots vs consistent authors

CyberCobre

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thedeepening.com
After surfing the board for a day and splatter-casting around, I think I'll post here and in e-pub. I have goals for TD, and, since there isn't a general goals forum that isn't focused on just writers rather than anyone with a vested interest in publishing, I'll just nudge myself a spot.

TD's goals require good, dedicated, consistently producing fiction authors with good craft and talent, with vision and fearlessness.

To date, some of the authors on TD are big movers and shakers. That they subbed shows how well-thought of our project is. A lot of our authors are potential movers and shakers. Many of our authors are just so brilliant that a reader (which I am) looks forward to the next story by them that one of my editors takes.

TD goals are co-op. We mean to entertain readers, providing wholesome (not ugly, not promiscuous, not bloody and cruel) stories and novels to an online reading public, and we aim to promote a productive author into the limelight, building them a following. But we can't do that unless an author submits and keeps submitting their old stories...and new if they want. Reprints of works once published but no longer available are the meat we want. And we want every good thing an author wants to share. So what happens? A lot of one shots: authors who write one good story, then hang up their hat or just sit idling for whatever reason.

I cannot promote an author who refuses to release work. I can't build them a following, an excitement in readership if they don't scribble a lot.

Naming names. PDR, Ted, Hall, Gravel, Mohn are among those who are gathering a following. Some of the others already have a following, but I won't go there now. The point is, I get email. I get begging by the poor or cheap out there to release more of the above-named authors' works to public viewing...which I won't unless an ed picks it as a freebee. (We now have a hardship subscription for those who just can't afford the subscription price just so the poverty stricken...though not the cheap...can get access for free, so now there's no excuse except sheer laziness.)

So write and consistently place your reprints with us. If you are a one-shot, you can't hope to gain a fan base.

Don't get me wrong. One-shots are good too, but if you plan on a career, write, right?