Doesn't anyone write animal fiction?

CyberCobre

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thedeepening.com
Like the title says.

We haven't recieved any, and I find very little on the shelves at the book stores in my town, too. What happened to horse stories, cat stories, dog stories, James Herriot type stuff, and I don't mean Jack London mean stuff either. Heart warming, fuzzy, nice, good reading? But FICTION??? Or even based on true life. Where is it all? Isn't anyone writing it? I certainly can't find anything I want to read that warms by heart. So, writers, are you writing it or not? If so, who is the publisher? If not, why not?

Dollywagon

Registered
Reaction score
I was quite surprised to read this posting.

Firstly, because I thought after James Herriott, and all the subsequent spin offs, this kind of thing had been done to death.
And secondly, because when I started writing animal stories, I literally couldn't find anywhere to send them to.

Yes, I did have Front Porch accept one, and a couple have gone off to Chicken Soup et al, but other than that...?

You do get mags that specifically focus on cat, dog and horse stuff, but anything else is really not accommodated for. It tends to shift into the 'practical advice' from there on in.

My family and friends have been badgering me for ages to do something on the animal front, but I've resisted for all the above reasons.
Plus, of course, that mine comes from a smallholding/opting out perspective, which the market also has been swamped with.

Very interesting to hear your thoughts though ...

I've just had a quick peek at the site, and it doesn't really suggest that you may even consider this type of fiction. It certainly doesn't say anything about stories based on non-fiction. James Herriott wrote about his lifestyle, it was all true, save a few place and name changes.

Last edited:

CyberCobre

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thedeepening.com
We have a category animal stories. You have to look at the genres on TD, not the submissions site which my coder team rarely updates unless I stand on them. TD turned into more work than the web team anticipated...and a lot more money spent on my part. But, we want animal stories. Tell me funnies about that Nubian goat in your picture. Make me smile and be happy reading the antics of Tobie the Troublesome Turtle. I want them. And I could care less if something has been done before. You know what's been done to death? He-man, she-man glutted, clotted blood and guts, no plot, just wicked sex and gore. Nope. Not for meeee. I hate cleaning out my eyes with soap. <--kidding

Dollywagon

Registered
Reaction score
Heee's not a nubian, he's an alpiiiiine (said in whiney voice!)

I've got to be honest, CC, the only thing that bothers me about the ezine sites (not yours in particular) is that the rights are simply tied up. OK, not the hard copy rights, but most publishers wouldn't touch it with a barge pole if it were to be available on the net into internity.

I may be wrong about all this and if somebody wants to come along and put me right I'll be only too happy to accept it.

I'm going now because apparently I have started to talk in brackets (I think I must be very tired!)

CyberCobre

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thedeepening.com
Shhh.. Don't tell anyone. I am totally aware about that problem. The inside track is, IF a writer gets a story sold to say the New Yorker, which means they want the e-rights, all my author has to do is come hat in hand and say, um...can I have my story back? Ted has this potential with a couple of his, and we are more than ready to pull the stories for him, no hard feelings, only joy. Once TD gets to be bigger and the most important fiction market on the globe, then, well, that might be a different matter. But I totally understand what creators need in climbing the ropey ladder of success. That IS why we are primarily a reprint market.

Dollywagon

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I do actually have a nubian cross, so obviously what has happened is that I have put the wrong photo up!
There. Solved.

OK, (whispering voice) I won't tell anybody, I can see the quandry from all sides. I can also now see, that there are going to be a few markets that for this reason, do focus on re-prints. Never thought of it before.

Dollywagon

Registered
Reaction score
Very, very, small ones!

Yep. Floppy ears on the nubians.
Actually, my alpine is a tad unique. His face markings aren't equal, he's all lopsided. Bobby boy, has a goofy clown face:tongue

Dollywagon

Registered
Reaction score
Gelding. Technical term - wether.

I only keep castrated males about the place. It gives me a feeling of superiority:tongue

awatkins

Not harboring illegal parrot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Thanks for posting, CC! And welcome to this little bit of the Cooler. :)

I'm so glad you mentioned that you're looking for animal-related fiction. We have folks wander in here from time to time asking for markets for their animal fiction. Let's hope they all see this!

Feel free to post your submission info in the market sticky at the top of the forum. And thanks again. :)

CyberCobre

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thedeepening.com
I think W did that a long time ago. TD's in there I think Oct 2005. And it seems to cold in there without anyone being able to post except the poster.

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
This post is a bit of a surprise to me as well. My first fiction novel about a group of 'magical' cats is out seeking a home right now. I've only submitted it to one agent so far but she is considered a heavy hitter. If it is rejected I'll shop it elsewhere, but I felt if I'm going to fall off the ladder it might as well be from the top rung. My short stories regularly feature animals; one is in front of the NYer, one is being polished up (Glimmer Train is being considered as a first shot) and a humor short is half complete.

I like using animals as characters more than using people, though I have started two more fiction novels without animals in them. I write more for mainstream/contemporary though and think stories about animals will appeal to the larger market there.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I write a few animal stories but they do not tend to be in the James Herriot vein (so to speak). Those ones based on life might quickly cause my writing and animal career worlds to collide whoch could have unfortunate consequences. I do write sci fi and fiction with a strong animal focus. Like 'the Lost Souls of Cats' which is up with Quantum Muse: http://www.quantummuse.com/aug05_lost.html . I have a sequel to that one written and plan several more which take a fantasy-based approach to discussing our relations (good and bad) with cats. So perhaps once it has reverted to me I will try sending them your way?

CyberCobre

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thedeepening.com
veinglory said:
I write a few animal stories but they do not tend to be in the James Herriot vein (so to speak). Those ones based on life might quickly cause my writing and animal career worlds to collide whoch could have unfortunate consequences. I do write sci fi and fiction with a strong animal focus. Like 'the Lost Souls of Cats' which is up with Quantum Muse: http://www.quantummuse.com/aug05_lost.html . I have a sequel to that one written and plan several more which take a fantasy-based approach to discussing our relations (good and bad) with cats. So perhaps once it has reverted to me I will try sending them your way?

Super cool. zen or W are the animal stories, but Min and Kaff are the fant. were I you, I'd sub to [email protected] attn all eds, genre Crossover Animal/Fant

I guess I'd better get over to QM. Thanks.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
QM is one of my favourite online zines. They are very quirky in what they take but it is always fun to read. I will see about finishing those sequels in time for the story going off QM

awatkins

Not harboring illegal parrot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
CyberCobre said:
I think W did that a long time ago. TD's in there I think Oct 2005. And it seems to cold in there without anyone being able to post except the poster.

No, I meant the sticky in this particular forum. Anyone is able to post markets, submission requirements, etc. Feel free.

CyberCobre

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thedeepening.com
Oh, cool. Thanks. I'll mention it to the eds...if zen releases the leash he has on them posting here. But, meanwhile, I think I've done enough to get the AW crew mad at me.

Dollywagon

Registered
Reaction score
VG, I read your story in QM and absolutely loved it.

I don't usually read fiction, but seriously enjoyed every bit of this one.

newmod

Registered
Reaction score
Hi CyberCobre, just saw this post and thought I´d mention these, maybe you´re already aware of them, A Constellation of Cats edited by Denise Little and a series of books called Cat Fantastic. There are 5 of these edited by Andre Norton & Martin H. Greenburg. Both are published by DAW and are basically fantasy.