Not open for further replies.

September skies

cloud watching
Registered
Reaction score
under my September Skies in sunny California
Website
www.estheravila.com
Can you believe that I have never opened a bottle of wine in my life? Ok, not surprising since I rarely drink.

But, I did get a bottle of wine for my birthday (Chicken Picatta is my favorite dish and I got all the makings for it) So, I decided to make it for myself today and I can not, for the life of me, open this bottle.

I realize I need a wine opener - but when there is none around -
how do you do it? Can you stab a knife in there and pop it out?

If you had a character in a movie and they were in a setting with no opener, how would you have them do it? It's not like I can break the bottle against a rock, that might get glass in the wine.....

what to do...
what to do......
I figured I'd turn to the winos...um, experts, and ask all of you.

Cath

The mean one
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.cathsmith.net
I've seen people push the cork all the way into the bottle in desparation, but seriously, if you have 10 minutes to run to the nearest shop, get yourself a corkscrew - anything else can end in disaster.

Cath - who has spent hours picking bits of cork out of her glasses of wine...

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You mean, you have a cork and no cork-screw?

My first time (back in the days of being a cork-virgin) I used a pocket knife. It took some doing, and I mangled the cork, but it did eventually come out.

Some of your fancier Swiss Army Knives have corkscrews in them :)

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Beats me. We have a bottle of good Italian wine in the house that someone I'd never met before gave to me at my wedding and told me it would "See Me Through" (judging from his breath, it had seen him through my whole wedding).

I've never opened it, it's sitting in the cubboard gathering dust. I never drink and my wife very rarely does. But if I were opening it, I would totally smash it on a rock and take a big drink out of the broken bottle, and then bleed to death... :)

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
see if you can push the cork all the way in. it'll just float in the bottle. unless you can go get a cheap corkscrew or borrow one from a neighbor.

GPatten

Dang...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
forum.m1911.org
You will definitely need a good cork removal tool, one that screws into the cork and something that applies pressure needed to pull the cork out. Try running out and getting one in the local grocery store, or liquor store. It shouldn’t be too expensive, just a few dollars.

Don’t try any other way, you’ll not be able to cork the bottle again and you more and likely bust the bottle.

oarsman

Salt water is the cure
Registered
Reaction score
Cork2.jpg

Nothing beats a corkscrew!

louisgodwin

Back from the dead
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Here's an embarrassing story for me to tell...

A few years before I met my wife, I was dating with this girl. She decided to cook me dinner one night, and I had brought over a bottle of wine. Well, she rarely drinks either, so of course she had no wine-opener.
I was determined to set the mood, but I didn't want hop in my car and leave for 30 or so minutes while I went to a grocery store to buy a damn wine-opener. So I improvised. I tried a knife at first, the top of the cork just crumbled. I found a Phillips head screwdriver and tried to manually drill it into the cork. I thought I was getting somewhere. I could feel the screwdriver sinking deeper into the cork.
And then, "POP!"
Red-faced and frustrated, I saw I had driven the cork INTO the damn wine bottle. It floated in the wine along with little chunky bits of disintegrated cork debris.
Fortunately, the night was not a complete bust. She actually thought the whole thing was hilarious and came up with the brilliant idea of placing a paper towel over the wine glasses and pouring the wine through the paper towel. The wine went through (we had to pour slowly) but the little chunky bits were filtered out.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Purchase a corkscrew. They're very inexpensive. Whatever you do, don't push the cork down into the bottle--it can make the wine taste like crap.

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
hahaa Oarsman! I was just going to suggest about the same thing.

louisgodwin

Back from the dead
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
oarsman said:

Oh my God! That's f***ing brilliant! I wish I'd thought of that!

DeborahM

I need espresso & chocolate!
Registered
Reaction score
oarsman said:
Cork2.jpg

Tell me you were a boy scout! Always prepared or is this the case of necessity is the mother of inventions?

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Shadow_Ferret said:
In other words, it'll taste like wine?

That's pretty much it really! I'm not fond of wine--way too acidic.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Go to you nearby supermarket and get a corkscrew, lady!

p.s. Do you know certain part of a pig is shaped like a corkscrew?

September skies

cloud watching
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.estheravila.com
I have a few bottles of wine (never once thought about getting a corkscrew)
I've only had them opened during parties and each time, our neighbor - Orlando (not Bloom) carries a wine opener thing with him. So he always does the honors.

I have a bottle of wine that Harrison Ford touched. Being a big fan, my nephew got it for me. He's a bartender is some fance four-star hotel place in Portland, Oregon and Harrison walked in once and sat at his bar (he was staying there during the filming of a scene from Firewall) and he asked for my nephew's recommendation for a good dessert wine. My nephew showed him a bottle that he agreed on and before opening it, he switched it (for the same wine but another bottle) and then mailed me the bottle he had held in his hands. I'm saving it for a special occasion.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Shouldn't a woman of quality be able to suck the cork from a bottle of wine (take-off on Willie Nelson's (right person?) suck-the-chrome-off-a-bumper-hitch thing).

louisgodwin

Back from the dead
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
maestrowork said:
Do you know certain part of a pig is shaped like a corkscrew?

And here's a hint: It's not the tail.

oarsman

Salt water is the cure
Registered
Reaction score
DeborahM said:
Tell me you were a boy scout! Always prepared or is this the case of necessity is the mother of inventions?

Yes, and I earned both my Emergency Preparedness and Wilderness Survival merit badges.

;)

September skies

cloud watching
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.estheravila.com
maestrowork said:
Go to you nearby supermarket and get a corkscrew, lady!

p.s. Do you know certain part of a pig is shaped like a corkscrew?

That would be too simple (especially since there is a liquor store on the corner) but that also means getting out of pajamas and I don't want to right now.

My best friend is into hog semen (big business out here) and he owns a hog farm with more than 1,000 hogs - but none have a corkscrew -- if you're referring to the tail, we chop them off at birth. (I know, so cruel)

Did you know that it is easier to get semen out of a pig if a woman is standing nearby? I thought it was b.s. but I've seen proof.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
NeuroFizz said:
Shouldn't a woman of quality be able to suck the cork from a bottle of wine (take-off on Willie Nelson's (right person?) suck-the-chrome-off-a-bumper-hitch thing).

the big trick with that is, not to spill it all over her blue dress when she gets it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.